MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DanSchwartzgan - 05-10-2023

(05-05-2023, 05:52 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Dan— interesting thoughts on GG Jackson. I didn’t get the Hardy comparison but then remembered he reclassified and was playing a year ahead so to speak. He was 18 as a freshman I think and was a top 1-3 recruit in his draft class before the reclass.

Rafael Barlowe put out his mock today with GG at #5.  Freaking NUMBER FIVE.  BTW, he used the same Jaden Hardy comparison for the same reasons we discussed.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Nowitzki Way - 05-11-2023

(05-10-2023, 07:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Rafael Barlowe put out his mock today with GG at #5.  Freaking NUMBER FIVE.  BTW, he used the same Jaden Hardy comparison for the same reasons we discussed.

Just now looking at GG after seeing this thread. And count me in as interested. 

I really want one of these super athletic 6'7"-6'9" guys like Hendricks, Whitmore, Thompson Twins, or GG.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DanSchwartzgan - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 09:23 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Just now looking at GG after seeing this thread. And count me in as interested. 

I really want one of these super athletic 6'7"-6'9" guys like Hendricks, Whitmore, Thompson Twins, or GG.

It’s kind of an interesting draft to me in that after the first three there is a long list of boom/bust guys.  I’d argue Hendricks, Wallace and Dick are lower ceiling higher floor types.  But, both Thompson’s, Black, Whitmore, Jackson and Walker have gaping holes they have to overcome.  Year after year players taken in the 5-10 range bust out because teams take them on hope they can fix several things at once.  This feels a lot like 2017 when the guys taken 4-10 were super hyped, but only Fox and Markkanen have lived up to their billing.  Meanwhile Mitchell and Bam at 13/14 were the second and third best players taken in that draft.

I tend toward the guys who have one NBA-ready skill already and you hope they can add to it (at least they can stay in the league) versus the super athletes who don’t have any real NBA-ready skill, but if you squint just a little you can see them having 3-4 NBA skills.  Some of those athletes that project in the top 10 can at least play D.  But, they aren’t likely to make it to 10.  That leaves us looking at one of the ‘safe’ picks, the worst of the boom/bust guys or trading down or out.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Mavs2021 - 05-11-2023

I think Dick is the most underrated player in this draft, because you know stereotypes. People will typecast him as just a 3pt shooter, but the more I watch him, he can handle, he can run on the break, he´s actually athletic.

No fear around the rim and that reverse is something you expect from a 6´5 guard not a 6´9 forward.

I´d be shocked if he never averaged 20 PPG during an NBA season.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DanSchwartzgan - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 10:43 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think Dick is the most underrated player in this draft, because you know stereotypes. People will typecast him as just a 3pt shooter, but the more I watch him, he can handle, he can run on the break, he´s actually athletic.

No fear around the rim and that reverse is something you expect from a 6´5 guard not a 6´9 forward.

I´d be shocked if he never averaged 20 PPG during an NBA season.

What I’ve read about him is he might get hunted as an on-ball defender, but that he’s actually a very good team defender.  When I looked at my first mock a few weeks ago, my initial reaction was that I hope he’s gone in the first nine (as you say, because of stereotypes).  

I actually don’t mind him being drafted by Dallas…especially if THJ is outgoing in a different package.  I kind of wonder what Dallas would do between (presumably) Dick and Wallace if Thompson, Thompson, Black, Walker, Whitmore and Hendricks are already off the board.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-11-2023

Yeah Dick will be interesting to see what he really measures at and what his wingspan is. I also believe he is being underrated. I too would like to see him go before 10, but I have not really watched much of him besides highlights. BTW, Kansas has the perfect small ball 5 to look at next year. He is probably a first round pick. Maybe not lottery though. KJ Adams. Fun player to watch.

The more I think about it, I hope a few teams are scared away from Anthony Black because he can't shoot. The rest of his game would fit Dallas perfectly. He does a lot of the little things that Dallas desperately needs. He can defend multiple positions and he knows how to play. He is also tall which helps balance out our roster. So, you wouldn't need to worry about a third point guard and the crowded space that would make. Having two good creators on the floor at all times would be fun to see. Could you see him handling the ball and having Kyrie go score mode when Luka sits? He is probably not ready for full time PF minutes, but in time could you see him at that position in time? Right now that would make the team really small and not good at rebounding. Black would also allow Jaden to get a lot of minutes and you could also potentially keep Hardaway another year and have playing time for him because Black can play the frontcourt (Bullock would probably be moved). But having Hardaway or Hardy on the floor with two creators at all times could be intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOAVQTXqd4&t=823s

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Nowitzki Way - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 10:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I kind of wonder what Dallas would do between (presumably) Dick and Wallace if Thompson, Thompson, Black, Walker, Whitmore and Hendricks are already off the board.

Talk about worst case scenario right there. Well besides Chicago or OKC jumping us in the lotto, and sending #11 to the Knicks.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-11-2023

(05-10-2023, 07:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Rafael Barlowe put out his mock today with GG at #5.  Freaking NUMBER FIVE.  BTW, he used the same Jaden Hardy comparison for the same reasons we discussed.

Mavs will need to do their draft work on him.   His projection seems to be all over the place.  He looks the part though.   Being the youngest player in draft needs to be considered.   He was on a bad team and watching the highlights you see a lot of instances where teammates are open are in good position looking for the ball only to see a tough shot taken.  That is something I always watch for on highlights in teammates reactions.   Due to his age, he is probably on a longer developmental timeline that some of the other young prospects.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DallasMaverick - 05-11-2023

Pretty much the top 20 picks are all under 21. Doesn't bode well for producing as a first-year NBA player.

Makes me think the Mavs will trade the pick, or perhaps trade down for a 4-year college player with a developed game and physique who has a lower ceiling.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ballsrchr - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 03:04 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Pretty much the top 20 picks are all under 21.  Doesn't bode well for producing as a first-year NBA player.

Makes me think the Mavs will trade the pick, or perhaps trade down for a 4-year college player with a developed game and physique who has a lower ceiling.

...trade down for a 4-year college player--and more picks?  More picks please.  Cuban has a habit of getting fleeced in trades...

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - omahen - 05-12-2023

(05-10-2023, 07:18 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Wouldn't say it's impossible. If Wood wants to go to a team that doesn't have cap space to sign him, he'll need to work with the Mavs to get a S&T completed. Was actually thinking this may have been something where they could have had some sort of handshake deal under the table/behind the scenes or w/e during the season. They have a deal ready to go in the offseason and Mavs aren't doing anything but tanking so they drop Wood's minutes and phase him out. As to why they wait until the offseason instead of TDL, maybe there's some reason to wait but not really gonna bother with that.

If Wood wants to go to a team without cap space, he will have to take lower salary to fit either in MLE or rMLE, imho.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-12-2023

(05-11-2023, 11:28 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Talk about worst case scenario right there. Well besides Chicago or OKC jumping us in the lotto, and sending #11 to the Knicks.

Cason Wallace is very good and a significant playmaker on the defensive end.  I would not consider him a nightmare scenario at all, just means that you're probably looking to move someone like Green for a better roster fit at that point.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Nowitzki Way - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 11:14 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Cason Wallace is very good and a significant playmaker on the defensive end.  I would not consider him a nightmare scenario at all, just means that you're probably looking to move someone like Green for a better roster fit at that point.

i say worst case scenario because it was was laid out, if the board was wiped clean and we were left to decide between Wallace and Dick.  And to me they take Dick. Me personally, i dont take Dick......

Wallace does look good on the defensive end, but i don't like his offensive. I think it needs alot of work.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 11:32 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: i say worst case scenario because it was was laid out, if the board was wiped clean and we were left to decide between Wallace and Dick.  And to me they take Dick. Me personally, i dont take Dick......

Wallace does look good on the defensive end, but i don't like his offensive. I think it needs alot of work.

I don't think we need much on the offensive end which is why, like you, I'd pass on Dick but I also don't feel Wallace's offensive game needs as much work as you're eluding too.  He already shoots the ball pretty well which is really all he would be asked to do early on.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Nowitzki Way - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 11:35 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I don't think we need much on the offensive end which is why, like you, I'd pass on Dick but I also don't feel Wallace's offensive game needs as much work as you're eluding too.  He already shoots the ball pretty well which is really all he would be asked to do early on.

I can definitely be sold on Wallace. And i think its possible he'll have a solid career. 

I'm struggling to see a comp for him. Is he Marcus Smart or is he Davion Mitchell? He brings an element the Mavs dont have and havent had in awhile. That alone makes this a solid pick.

I think i'm struggling with the fact that this team drafts in the top 10 like once a decade. So with that pick i want a super talented, generational player. That not fair, i know.  So with Wallace I see a backup guard who can play perimeter D.  I dont see the potential to grow into a superstar.  I want the potential to draft a star. Again, not fair. Not likely.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 05-12-2023

I'd like to get a guy that will make one of the all Defense teams. Hopefully he has some offense we can build on.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DallasMaverick - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 11:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'd like to get a guy that will make one of the all Defense teams. Hopefully he has some offense we can build on.

Like Ben Simmons.  But for $3m a year.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-12-2023

Dan S. mentioned wanting a prospect to have at least one elite skill. I see Dick as, at the very least, an elite shooter with a quick release at 6’9. Defenders would be forced to stay home on him on Luka/Kyrie drives to the basket. Wallace looks like a potentially elite defender to me in the Smart, Jrue mold that is switchable and strong enough to guard up a position or two. I don’t think either guy would be a disaster. This team is starved for cost controlled assets and youth.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-14-2023

Two interesting probable undrafted center prospects

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1657839465589530624?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1657836798033252352?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 05-14-2023

Luka > Dick when it comes to defense.

If the Mavs have DÁntoni as coach, sure why not.
Pick Dick and run with Kyrie, Luka and Dick.
But the Mavs have a moron of a coach who can't teach defense or ofense.

Dick isn't a bad pick, and I'm sure Mark is thinking right now how he can get Kevin Love and Rudy Gay, you know -- marketing purposes.

But if your forwards (Luka is a forward in defense) are Dick and Luka, good luck with your defense. Even Bam Adebayo would look incompetent having to cover for those two.