MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-01-2023

Interesting raw big man.  Wonder if he stays in the draft.  Could go much higher next year.  But some team may gamble on him late first or early second betting on his upside.

https://youtu.be/ocnU3r4tB4g

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-02-2023

Sam Vecennie updated his big board on the Athletic today.

5. Cam Whitmore
6. Taylor Hendricks
7. Ausar Thompson
8. Anthony Black
9) Jarace Walker
10) Cason Wallace
11) Kobe Bufkin
12) Grady Dick
13) Leonard Miller
14) Derrick Lively

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-02-2023

Anthony Black is the key to our draft in my opinion. Like his feel for the game but that shot is terrible looking. If he goes before us we have a good shot at Wallace (if they want him.).

I like Sam’s board but I’d have Rayan Rupert on there somewhere. Rupert is raw but potentially a really, really good player a few years from now. Leonard Miler could also sneak up draft boards if someone sees him as a future Lamar Odom like big playmaker wing.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - LifeAquatic - 05-02-2023

Nice article on how the Dallas Stars built their team through the draft in the salary cap era and the hires they made of guys that understood how to do it. Wish the Mavs could learn from their roommates.

How Dallas Stars used 2017 draft to build foundation of Stanley Cup contender - ESPN

Different sport and different rules, I know, but this quote stood out:

"When we got into the [flat salary] cap world, the parity world, if you make a mistake signing a free agent, you don't get out of that," Stars general manager Jim Nill said. "The best way to stay out of that? It's the draft and developing young, homegrown players that can have success."

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - JCB - 05-03-2023

There is a 3% chance of a miracle. Its pretty much the Mavs only hope.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-03-2023

Derrick Lively scouting video

https://youtu.be/P95dz3o34e8

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Derrick Lively scouting video

https://youtu.be/P95dz3o34e8

I'd be a bit disappointed with the Mavs if we get him at 10.
But he'd be my top target for a trade down.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:49 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'd be a bit disappointed with the Mavs if we get him at 10.
This ia what I’ve been saying. IMO, there are 2 really good PFs that are worth taking at 10. If they aren’t there, I’d trade down to get Lively and another asset or 2.

Edit: The 2 PFs? Walker and Hendricks.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Mavs2021 - 05-03-2023

I like Sensabaugh a lot. His ranking is all over the place from late lottery to early 2nd round. He looks like a Babyfat Anthony Edwards. You whip him into top shape, he could have further improvement coming, especially on the defensive end, where he might rest too much. If they really trade down, I´d target him and Lively, but I´d prefer to have Hendricks or Dick at #10. Maybe I´d even reach for Sensabaugh at #10.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-04-2023

(05-03-2023, 11:32 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I like Sensabaugh a lot. His ranking is all over the place from late lottery to early 2nd round. He looks like a Babyfat Anthony Edwards. You whip him into top shape, he could have further improvement coming, especially on the defensive end, where he might rest too much. If they really trade down, I´d target him and Lively, but I´d prefer to have Hendricks or Dick at #10. Maybe I´d even reach for Sensabaugh at #10.

I was surprised to see Dick mentioned.  In most scenarios, it appears him and someone else are the two guys who fall.   Some have Dick going earlier.   Very little talk about him here though.   I was surprised to see he is 6'8.   He is probably not the cleanest fit here, but Dallas better do their work on him.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-04-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:49 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'd be a bit disappointed with the Mavs if we get him at 10.

Yeah, he won't be the 10th, 11th, 12th.....best player available.  But the question is what type of player he could become and how tough he is.   There is a route where he could have a similar career as Tyson Chandler.  But I have no idea.  A lot of will depend how tough he is and how bad he wants it.    So you could make the case where he isn't the best pick now, but if he can be a 12 point, 10 rebound player with elite rim defense that he could exactly what this team needs.    Is that worth the 10th pick in the draft?   

Again, i have not looked in depth of the prospects yet, but just off quick thought if we combined the last two classes I would of had Duren #1, Mark Williams and Lively would be close 2nd and third and Kessler would be 4th.   Kessler was huge this year so my evaluation was probably off.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 05-04-2023

12 and 10 with rim protection and the ability to quarterback the defense is the perfect C.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-05-2023

Mostly potential second round guys, but at least they are looking at prospects. They need to hit on a second round pick (they don't have a pick currently) or an undrafted guy this summer. Might not help right away, but they need to find someone.

https://twitter.com/PDTScouting/status/1653504406728462365

https://twitter.com/PDTScouting/status/1653054726047510529

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/status/1653861553538572289

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1653966689514532865

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DanSchwartzgan - 05-05-2023

I've been trying not to peak at draft prospects too much since we don't actually have a pick right now.  But, I couldn't help myself and read up on a couple of guys.  One guy stuck me as similar to the pattern established by the Hardy pick (I know, one pick isn't a pattern, but if it was...).

Hardy to me was taking advantage of a mispricing of the asset.  For whatever reason, he fell to much lower than talent and upside should have indicated.  I'm not in love with GG Jackson, but in a trade down (Atlanta and especially Brooklyn), he might be a mispriced asset.  Boom or bust and there are certainly holes.  But, if they are correctible, he might be a nice compliment to the young core of Hardy and Green.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've been trying not to peak at draft prospects too much since we don't actually have a pick right now.  But, I couldn't help myself and read up on a couple of guys.  One guy stuck me as similar to the pattern established by the Hardy pick (I know, one pick isn't a pattern, but if it was...).

Hardy to me was taking advantage of a mispricing of the asset.  For whatever reason, he fell to much lower than talent and upside should have indicated.  I'm not in love with GG Jackson, but in a trade down (Atlanta and especially Brooklyn), he might be a mispriced asset.  Boom or bust and there are certainly holes.  But, if they are correctible, he might be a nice compliment to the young core of Hardy and Green.

I haven't look much yet, but I have looked more than I wanted to.  It will be so depressing if we lose our pick!

I believe Jackson will be the youngest player in the draft too, so that makes it even a more difficult evaluation.  

When I first saw the mock drafts, I was hoping Wallace would go before pick #10.   He is not the size that I envision, but the more I see his highlights the more I fee he has some Marcus Smart dog in him.   He will be someone I look at more closely if we keep the pick.    It may have been here but I saw some discussion about a Wallace vs Anthony Black comparison.    Different players, but I am sure different teams will have both rated differently.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DanSchwartzgan - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 03:26 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I haven't look much yet, but I have looked more than I wanted to.  It will be so depressing if we lose our pick!

I believe Jackson will be the youngest player in the draft too, so that makes it even a more difficult evaluation.  

When I first saw the mock drafts, I was hoping Wallace would go before pick #10.   He is not the size that I envision, but the more I see his highlights the more I fee he has some Marcus Smart dog in him.   He will be someone I look at more closely if we keep the pick.    It may have been here but I saw some discussion about a Wallace vs Anthony Black comparison.    Different players, but I am sure different teams will have both rated differently.

Yeah, Wallace is another one I've looked at at #10.  Love him.  I think it was the Followell and Dameris podcast that made the point about how bad our 'blow-by" numbers were.  Everyone sees the layup and lack of rim protection, but no center can guard his own man AND the ball handler who just left his defender in the dust AND grab defensive boards.  Obviously a good center stands a better chance than a bad center.  But it starts with the blow by at the point of attack.  I agree with the Marcus Smart comparison and we could really use that.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - chaparral - 05-05-2023

This is going off of - Mavs keep the 10th pick. Dose, who we pick have any bearing on whether we keep Kyrie or not?

Say - we are planning on helping Kyrie with a S&T so we pick Wallace with the 10th pick. Or we are keeping Kyrie - so we better pick a big wing with the pick.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-05-2023

I would say it depends on what projections they have for prospects and how they have them tiered. If you believe in a guy as “future star” and he falls to 10, then take him and figure it out later. If that’s Wallace or Black and they play the same position as Luka and Kyrie and Hardy just take them. But if you have Wallace, Black, GG, Lively, Murray, Dick, all in the same tier then lean toward “need,” or a trade down is even in play.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-05-2023

Dan— interesting thoughts on GG Jackson. I didn’t get the Hardy comparison but then remembered he reclassified and was playing a year ahead so to speak. He was 18 as a freshman I think and was a top 1-3 recruit in his draft class before the reclass. I have seen him compared to Jaren Jackson Jr. I think in that he projects as a rim protector who can step out to shoot the 3 and has just enough off the bounce game to be a threat. He’s an interesting one. 

Just serves to drive home to me the feeling that a really good player should be there for us at 10 if we keep the pick.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 05-05-2023

(05-04-2023, 03:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, he won't be the 10th, 11th, 12th.....best player available.  But the question is what type of player he could become and how tough he is.   There is a route where he could have a similar career as Tyson Chandler.  But I have no idea.  A lot of will depend how tough he is and how bad he wants it.    So you could make the case where he isn't the best pick now, but if he can be a 12 point, 10 rebound player with elite rim defense that he could exactly what this team needs.    Is that worth the 10th pick in the draft?   

Again, i have not looked in depth of the prospects yet, but just off quick thought if we combined the last two classes I would of had Duren #1, Mark Williams and Lively would be close 2nd and third and Kessler would be 4th.   Kessler was huge this year so my evaluation was probably off.

I know you are aware of this but I'm mentioning this just the same.
The draft is tricky because a large part of the evaluation process are based on assumptions and projections and even guess-work.
A Tyson Chandler clone at pick 10 for the Mavs? I'm very much okay with that. But the question is -- would he really be?
Lively can very well turn out to be just Jaxson Hayes.

It's very early to see what Lively can become. Although I have high hopes for the guy (I actually could see him as less imposing TC but a more modern game), the Mavs at this point needs to be very opportunistic with this draft. Yes, pick 10 with Lively can fill-up a backup C vacancy, but the Mavs still have a lot of holes to fill. The Mavs need to know if Lively can be had at some point in the draft and at the same time, know how much some other team wants pick 10. Maybe there's a deal to make there. Get McGee out and still get Lively + rotation piece + another pick.

I'm already bracing myself for a trade down because the FO lacks foresight plus the pressure of immediate results would be upon them. They will go for a proven player in exchange for pick 10. My only hope is that they do not trade out of the first. A trade down would be good. If Lively is available later in the first, I don't think the Mavs pass on a young C.