MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-15-2022

(11-15-2022, 08:15 AM)WillE Wrote: https://hoopshype.com/lists/team-asset-rankings-which-franchises-have-the-most-valuable-pieces/

I just automatically scrolled to the bottom. Yep 27th

RE: ROSTER TALK: - ItsGoTime - 11-15-2022

(11-15-2022, 04:55 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I just automatically scrolled to the bottom. Yep 27th
Right behind LAL and right in front of LAC.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - HAguiar95 - 11-15-2022

What if ...

MIA in: Wood, Ntilikina.
MIA out: Robinson, Jovic, '23 MIA 1st.

CLE in: Finney-Smith, Hardaway Jr..
CLE out: Okoro, Windler, Levert.

NYK in: Dinwiddie, Bullock, McGee.
NYK out: Rose, Reddish, Hartenstein, McBride.

Roster:

Luka/Rose/McBride
Levert/Hardy/Pinson
Okoro/Green/Robinson
Reddish/Jovic/Bertans
Hartenstein/Kleber/Powell

Clearing a LOT of money in the process.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - ThisIStheYear - 11-16-2022

Here’s some roster talk. The Mavs need to dump every single player who played tonight. Those are not guys you want on your team.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 11-16-2022

Wonder what Luka could do with average NBA talent?

For real...Luka is MVP.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - SwisherPrice - 11-16-2022

This is one of the most boring teams to watch...and that is even with Luka. They play at a snail's pace with no movement and rely on the primary scorer to create open threes for others as the shot clock winds down. Nellie's Mavs shot a ton of threes but they were up and down the court in a free-flowing offense. 

If the MBT did not make a better effort to replace Brunson then someone should be fired. Once they made the KP/Dinwiddie trade, they saw what a successful formula was for this team - having 3 scoring guards who can put the pressure on defenses. They may not have valued Brunson...fine. But they should have valued his role and found a few replacements. To completely ignore it this offseason is a fire-able offense for someone in that front office. They could have taken a chance on Dennis Schroder and tried to make it work. I know Schroder's reputation is not the best but if it didn't work out then so be it, at least they tried. They could have had Dragic but apparently didn't expect him to do anything more than be Luka's locker room mentor. They did nothing and are now scrambling to find how to lower Luka's usage when we all knew what was going to happen. 

RE: ROSTER TALK: - SleepingHero - 11-17-2022

Wood's defensive lapses have been so bad.

Mavs have got to trade him and cash him in. 

I wonder if MIN would be willing to trade Russell+Gobert for THJ+Bertans+McGee+Wood. 

Mavs consolidate and get 2 rotation guys and get rid of THJ+McGee.

Despite Gobert's obvious limitations I think he'd thrive next to Luka. All we'd have to do is find a stretch 4 that's mobile so we can bench Gobert if needed.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - omahen - 11-17-2022

(11-17-2022, 02:03 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Russell+Gobert for THJ+Bertans+McGee+Wood. 

I don't think Minny who just paid a fortune for Gobert will dump him for Wood and a bunch of bad contracts

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 11-17-2022

Mavs were already in deep by not replacing Brunson (Dragic would have helped!).
And then gave McGee his retirement money.
Whoever is responsible for these should be fired.

As if THJ and Bertans weren't enough. Now the Mavs would also need to unload McGee.
How do you trade McGee then?
Maybe someone like Holmes who's making DP money.
Yes, Holmes doesn't look right currently, but clearly he just doesn't fit with Sabonis, and he could do well on another team. At least there is hope for him to get better.
Will the Kings see Mcgee as an upgrade over Holmes?, certainly not, but they aren't benefitting much from an 11M a year player anyway, so why not flip him for someone who's equally unusable for them, but cheaper?

Of course, the trade wouldn't work as the salaries don't match.
I would think the Kings would see McGee vs. Holmes is a winning trade for them, adding Frankie in that trade who's an expiring would only make the trade lean more in their favor. So.. McGee + Frank for Holmes. This is enough of a trade for me.

But there's a few more possibilities with the trade that centers around Holmes expensive 3 year deal and McGee's waste of roster space.

McGee+THJ for Holmes+Davis
McGee+THJ+a second round pick for Holmes+Barnes
McGee+THJ+Hardy+a second round pick for Holmes+Monk
McGee+THJ+Hardy+a few second rounders for Holmes+Barnes+Monk
McGee+THJ+Wood for Holmes+Barnes+Monk

Barnes is overpaid, and IMHo, Kings would like to keep him, but wouldn't be opposed to moving him.
If the Kings want Green instead of Hardy, or even in addition to Hardy, that's fine by me provided the Mavs get Monk.
If the Kings want Wood for his talent or just for his expiring deal, then so be it, Mavs keep the youngsters.

Barnes gives the Mavs a more dynamic forward who can handles some.
Monk, while not a PG, can be that 3rd ball handler/playmaker. Monk is Hardy 2 years from now, if Hardy works on his game.

Clear talent upgrade for the Mavs, even if Holmes doesn't improve his game to last season's Holmes and take on his 3 years of 11M.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Chicagojk - 11-17-2022

(11-17-2022, 07:11 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Mavs were already in deep by not replacing Brunson (Dragic would have helped!).
And then gave McGee his retirement money.
Whoever is responsible for these should be fired.

As if THJ and Bertans weren't enough. Now the Mavs would also need to unload McGee.
How do you trade McGee then?
Maybe someone like Holmes who's making DP money.
Yes, Holmes doesn't look right currently, but clearly he just doesn't fit with Sabonis, and he could do well on another team. At least there is hope for him to get better.
Will the Kings see Mcgee as an upgrade over Holmes?, certainly not, but they aren't benefitting much from an 11M a year player anyway, so why not flip him for someone who's equally unusable for them, but cheaper?

Of course, the trade wouldn't work as the salaries don't match.
I would think the Kings would see McGee vs. Holmes is a winning trade for them, adding Frankie in that trade who's an expiring would only make the trade lean more in their favor. So.. McGee + Frank for Holmes. This is enough of a trade for me.

But there's a few more possibilities with the trade that centers around Holmes expensive 3 year deal and McGee's waste of roster space.

McGee+THJ for Holmes+Davis
McGee+THJ+a second round pick for Holmes+Barnes
McGee+THJ+Hardy+a second round pick for Holmes+Monk
McGee+THJ+Hardy+a few second rounders for Holmes+Barnes+Monk
McGee+THJ+Wood for Holmes+Barnes+Monk

Barnes is overpaid, and IMHo, Kings would like to keep him, but wouldn't be opposed to moving him.
If the Kings want Green instead of Hardy, or even in addition to Hardy, that's fine by me provided the Mavs get Monk.
If the Kings want Wood for his talent or just for his expiring deal, then so be it, Mavs keep the youngsters.

Barnes gives the Mavs a more dynamic forward who can handles some.
Monk, while not a PG, can be that 3rd ball handler/playmaker. Monk is Hardy 2 years from now, if Hardy works on his game.

Clear talent upgrade for the Mavs, even if Holmes doesn't improve his game to last season's Holmes and take on his 3 years of 11M.

It is a tough situation.   As his age and $, I would doubt anyone would want McGee.   It may be a sunk cost already.   Make him prove he deserves playing time.   Until he does, let him sit on the bench and eventually he is either moved as a piece in a trade or stretch waived.   It is only a 5 million $ mistake, but that is something you absolutely can't whiff on.   To give him 3 years and 5 games into the season realize you made a bad mistake is just bad front office work.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Chicagojk - 11-17-2022

He just needs to be more assertive.   He does a lot of other things well.   I am not saying he needs to average 16 points per game, but he just needs to be more aggressive.  There have been small improvements but we need much more.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1593216863991128064

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Kammrath - 11-17-2022

(11-17-2022, 02:03 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Wood's defensive lapses have been so bad.

Mavs have got to trade him and cash him in.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: - KillerLeft - 11-17-2022

Does anyone happen to know who the main shooting coach for the team is? There’s an area in which positive change can be made pretty easily, I bet.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 11-17-2022

(11-17-2022, 07:39 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: He just needs to be more assertive.   He does a lot of other things well.   I am not saying he needs to average 16 points per game, but he just needs to be more aggressive.  There have been small improvements but we need much more.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1593216863991128064

This game was most likely a loss anyway.  Why waste time with THJ when we know what he is?  There is no increasing this guys value around the league.  Did you see those sloppy ass drives where he was fumbling the ball trying to drive?  Other GM's see that.   He is fools gold.   He has to launch 25 times a game ball hogging while also demoralizing his own teammates with his ball hogging behavior.

Those 26 shots should have been for Josh.  Looks at how much more comfortable he is the more you play him.  Sitting him or letting THJ shoot is stunting this kids growth...he needs playing time to feel comfortable and confident.  Its mental with him.   Instead...we waste time with Tim Hardaway Jr.  I cant wait until he is off the Mavs.

I dont know about assignment mistakes...but I am reluctant to trade Frank at his contract.   He has been shooting fairly well from 3 and has good footwork on defense and active hands on defense.   Seems like a young, cheap 3andD player.  I would not just throw him in trades just because.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - SkenfromLMF - 11-17-2022

Could you get Sacramento to do a Theo Pinson and McGee for Richaun Holmes deal?
It costs another 5 million or so and Sacto is probably looking at getting a first out of it, but I would try and persuade them that 2 seconds are as close to a first that Holmes can fetch

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Smitty - 11-17-2022

(11-17-2022, 12:14 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Could you get Sacramento to do a Theo Pinson and McGee for Richaun Holmes deal?
It costs another 5 million or so and Sacto is probably looking at getting a first out of it, but I would try and persuade them that 2 seconds are as close to a first that Holmes can fetch

I’m in! Anything to get McGee far away from this team.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - SwisherPrice - 11-17-2022

I feel bad for Green - you could tell he was frustrated by Kidd's short leash last night too. He was aggressive in the 1st quarter, drove the ball and got to the line 4 times. Then Kidd sits him for the entire 2nd quarter and then gives him scrap minutes the rest of the way where he is just standing in the corner while Dinwiddie dribbles the ball into the ground for the entire possession or THJ gets the greenlight to do whatever he wants. This team just isn't committed to developing Green (and I think the same will be said for Hardy). 

If they weren't going to let Green get big minutes last night on a B2B while playing Bullock/DFS big minutes to shoot bricks then they aren't interested in him being anything more than depth. They should package him and Hardy as part of whatever deal they can get. Then they will be free to pursue guys they really want in FA next summer like Danny Green and Pat Beverley. 3 and D Legends built for this boring offense/roster

RE: ROSTER TALK: - cow - 11-17-2022

(11-17-2022, 12:29 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I feel bad for Green - you could tell he was frustrated by Kidd's short leash last night too. He was aggressive in the 1st quarter, drove the ball and got to the line 4 times. Then Kidd sits him for the entire 2nd quarter and then gives him scrap minutes the rest of the way where he is just standing in the corner while Dinwiddie dribbles the ball into the ground for the entire possession or THJ gets the greenlight to do whatever he wants. This team just isn't committed to developing Green (and I think the same will be said for Hardy). 

If they weren't going to let Green get big minutes last night on a B2B while playing Bullock/DFS big minutes to shoot bricks then they aren't interested in him being anything more than depth. They should package him and Hardy as part of whatever deal they can get. Then they will be free to pursue guys they really want in FA next summer like Danny Green and Pat Beverley. 3 and D Legends built for this boring offense/roster

He had a nice cut and catch near the basket last night and to be fair, he did make a nice pass to the corner for an open three opportunity (that was missed) but I wish he would have just used his athleticism to attack the rim instead of kicking it out.  He also had that goofy double clutch scoop attempt.  He definitely didn't have a soft touch last night.  His/Facu's defense and Dorian's aggressiveness were the highlights of the night for me, not that either yielded a to of results.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - SkenfromLMF - 11-17-2022

There is a very real chance we may long for the good ol days of Rick Carlisle's young player development.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-17-2022

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-17-122214.jpg]