MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - KillerLeft - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 04:37 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Agree, I’d trade Widdie now. He’s a sell high.  You don’t trade THJ, he’s a sell low. It’s very basic.

That might be the best way to look at it from a "maximizing assets" POV, and I do think the Mavs need to do a much better job of that, generally. Much. 

But, that mission has to be reconciled, with balance, against the mission of putting a good team on the floor now. In my mind, Dinwiddie is vitally important to that mission and one of the main reasons for any optimism in the near future. I expect him to be better than he was down the stretch last season, not worse, now that he'll have a training camp under his belt. His catch and shoot numbers will probably fall back closer to his norm, but he should also be healthier, more explosive and more comfortable in the system and with his teammates.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Branduil - 07-01-2022

Mavs just have extremely limited assets, and those didn't improve with losing Brunson for nothing.

I think the best we can expect for wing help is something like Powell+Green for Gary Harris. If you assume Dragic is also coming, that gives us

Luka / Dragic / Ntilikina
Dinwiddie / THJ / Hardy
Bullock / Harris / Pinson
DFS / Maxi / Bertans
Wood / McGee

That's the best-case scenario IMO

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 04:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That might be the best way to look at it from a "maximizing assets" POV, and I do think the Mavs need to do a much better job of that, generally. Much. 

But, that mission has to be reconciled, with balance, against the mission of putting a good team on the floor now. In my mind, Dinwiddie is vitally important to that mission and one of the main reasons for any optimism in the near future. I expect him to be better than he was down the stretch last season, not worse, now that he'll have a training camp under his belt. His catch and shoot numbers will probably fall back closer to his norm, but he should also be healthier, more explosive and more comfortable in the system and with his teammates.

Not to mention he is currently the only player on the roster other than Luka who can pass the ball.  That is kind of important.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - MaxiThreeba - 07-02-2022

I watched Hustle so now I think the Mavs just need to sign Bo Cruz.  Bring in Dragic and Juancho to give Luka a couple of his boys.  

Keep looking for something using Powell’s contract and Green as a sweetener if anyone is sweet on him. 

Bo Cruz will save the franchise.  

Also I’ve had a few whiskeys…saving grace is I’m on the west coast for work so it’s not midnight yet.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:30 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I watched Hustle so now I think the Mavs just need to sign Bo Cruz.  Bring in Dragic and Juancho to give Luka a couple of his boys.  

Keep looking for something using Powell’s contract and Green as a sweetener if anyone is sweet on him. 

Bo Cruz will save the franchise.  

Also I’ve had a few whiskeys…saving grace is I’m on the west coast for work so it’s not midnight yet.

I fully expect Bo Cruz to be on this roster by the end of the summer.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - omahen - 07-02-2022

Very interesting listen. Skin saying Mavs didn't want to pay Brunson more than 22 mil. He also basically confirms the January extension version and that they didn't believe they can win a title with JB and just saw him as an asset. I thought they didn't get the meeting and Brunson family are the ultimate bad guys, though. I guess I was wrong... 

He is saying they have a back up plan if they lose JB. They are positioning themselves to make a move in 18 months. Might be sooner. They have a group of guys they believe make them a contender and they want to be prepared when opportunity comes. Mentions expiring Powell, Kleber and Wood (can be aggregated after August 23rd) as expiring salary that can be used in trades.

Also a lot on other topics as McGee (doesn't think he will start), Kyrie (possibility if price low) and other trades around the league.

Keep It or Bleep It/Gina Miller - The Ben and Skin Show | iHeart

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Chicagojk - 07-02-2022

Seeing how many picks it is taking to get some of these stars, I think it is imperative Mavs invest in some young kids with upside to develop.    We need more imo.  There is a real chance when we make our big trade we could be without a pick for a while.    If your team is devoid of youth, it is a really hard pill to swallow after awhile.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Winter - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 04:09 AM)omahen Wrote: They are positioning themselves to make a move in 18 months.

Did you mis-type this? 

Eighteen months! Last year we changed head coaches and general managers in two weeks! Nothing is the same in the NBA after 18 months. WTF kind of thinking is that?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 07-02-2022

Ahh yes! The 18 Month plan. Now it all makes sense. In Cuban we trust.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - ThisIStheYear - 07-02-2022

18 month backup plan to recover from losing Brunson?  Hahahahaha!  What chumps. If the backup plan involves high stakes free agency, they may as well go to plan c now. The Mavs will never successfully play on the final table of free agency. That would be like asking Boban to run the point.

The chances for this team to successfully build around Luka on a timeline before he requests a trade now basically hinges on whether and how fast Hardy can develop into a near all star caliber player.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Winter - 07-02-2022

Now all I need is for someone to tell me that last week the Mavs were going to implement plan B - acquiring Miles Bridges!

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 07-02-2022

The funny thing is others have suggested that Skin is used as Cuban’s mouthpiece in the media. If true, this was Cuban’s way of making everyone feel better! Leak this info and it will really smooth things over. 18 months. So not next summer but 2024 trade deadline? How the hell can they possibly know what will happen by then? Hasn’t James Harden been traded twice in that time span?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - mvossman - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 07:42 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: 18 month backup plan to recover from losing Brunson?  Hahahahaha!  What chumps. If the backup plan involves high stakes free agency, they may as well go to plan c now. The Mavs will never successfully play on the final table of free agency. That would be like asking Boban to run the point.

The chances for this team to successfully build around Luka on a timeline before he requests a trade now basically hinges on whether and how fast Hardy can develop into a near all star caliber player.

My guess is this is the plan they had regardless of Brunson which involves getting a two way number two.  The Murray trade should be a good barometer for what it will take (the Gobert trade was insane).

Some folks may disagree with me, but I think that player (someone like a Jrue Holiday) makes this team a contender, even without Brunson.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - dirkfansince1998 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 08:23 AM)mvossman Wrote: My guess is this is the plan they had regardless of Brunson which involves getting a two way number two.  The Murray trade should be a good barometer for what it will take (the Gobert trade was insane).

Some folks may disagree with me, but I think that player (someone like a Jrue Holiday) makes this team a contender, even without Brunson.

The problem is that Brunson was the best asset not named Luka and without him it will be more difficult to make a competitive offer. Something Brunson understood. Mavs had already included him in trade offers in the past. Picking NY over Dallas was also about him choosing his own destination instead of ending up in Oklahoma, Minnesota or Sacramento.

When I look at the last two big trades I just don´t see a way for the Mavs to match those offers. Even next summer when the pick depth is finally paid. Mavs have no assets and other franchises know that picks will most likely be in the 20s as long as Luka plays for the Mavs.
Who is the second most valuable player on the roster? Wood? Who was just traded for a late 1st. DFS? Looking at Royce O´Neal and other 3&D guys probably a late first as well.

Baring a miracle development from Green, Frank or Hardy the Mavs will have a hard time to even get into the conversation for star level players.

(07-02-2022, 08:23 AM)mvossman Wrote: Some folks may disagree with me, but I think that player (someone like a Jrue Holiday) makes this team a contender, even without Brunson.

I don't disagree at all with the idea. I simply question our ability to trade or acquire anything that requires resources. We have limited talent, few draft picks, and Dallas is not a prime player destination. Given the absolute clumsy nature of our Free Agency habits, I have little faith that an 18-month plan has any teeth for the fan base. 

I would actually feel better if the Mavs front office said they were going to be opportunistic and be ready to pounce on developing situations. Instead, I am forced to read about an 18-month plan. Admittedly, I still haven't listened to the Skin podcast, so It's possible I'm mis-characterizing all this.

I think the acquisition of Wood was fortunate. It was good move, and our center position feels much better. But unless a solid move is made here for a good wing plus Dragic, this FA will remain a top 10 Mavericks mess.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 04:09 AM)omahen Wrote: Mentions expiring Powell, Kleber and Wood (can be aggregated after August 23rd) as expiring salary that can be used in trades.

Maxi plus Wood for Collins and some small contract on August 23rd….Would you?

I know, I know, yes, we are all in if you make it Wood plus Powell.  That isn’t the question and probably isn’t the deal if Atlanta still has Capela and Okongwu.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Branduil - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Maxi plus Wood for Collins and some small contract on August 23rd….Would you?

I know, I know, yes, we are all in if you make it Wood plus Powell.  That isn’t the question and probably isn’t the deal if Atlanta still has Capela and Okongwu.

If Wood is playing well (which is the only way this trade could even be plausible), then I would only do this trade if Wood refuses to sign an extension.

Wait, I missed August 23rd... yeah I doubt Atlanta goes for that.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Fuerza1 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 04:09 AM)omahen Wrote: Very interesting listen. Skin saying Mavs didn't want to pay Brunson more than 22 mil. He also basically confirms the January extension version and that they didn't believe they can win a title with JB and just saw him as an asset. I thought they didn't get the meeting and Brunson family are the ultimate bad guys, though. I guess I was wrong... 

He is saying they have a back up plan if they lose JB. They are positioning themselves to make a move in 18 months. Might be sooner. They have a group of guys they believe make them a contender and they want to be prepared when opportunity comes. Mentions expiring Powell, Kleber and Wood (can be aggregated after August 23rd) as expiring salary that can be used in trades.

Also a lot on other topics as McGee (doesn't think he will start), Kyrie (possibility if price low) and other trades around the league.

I do find it interesting the specific August 23rd date being emphasized. Wouldn't shock me to see Christian Wood never play a second in a Mavs uniform. 

For those that didn't listen, Skin expects a trade for a wing player to happen in August before the season starts. As mentioned above, they have to wait until August 23rd but Wood, Kleber, Powell are the ideal pieces given their expiring contracts; he has also heard THJ thrown in the mix.

If the Christian Wood presser doesn't happen in the next month or so, I would get very suspicious. Skin also talks about how Wood/McGee are upgrades to Powell and how they can help this season so who knows. 

The 18-month plan is hilarious because it painfully reminds me of the "2-year plan" during the Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony chases. In other words, the Mavs have no plan. Just hope a disgruntled star wants to leave and come to Dallas, will never happen.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - SweetFidelia - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Maxi plus Wood for Collins and some small contract on August 23rd….Would you?

Not I. I’d say Collins and Wood are very, very similar players. In fact, if Wood does what we hope, Collins’s contract is a model for Wood to stay.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Mavs2021 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 07:31 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Ahh yes! The 18 Month plan. Now it all makes sense. In Cuban we trust.

Hilariously he´s never made a plan longer than 12 months.