MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Chicagojk - 11-11-2022

(11-11-2022, 12:40 AM)F Gump Wrote: This team really misses Brunson. IMO that's what we're seeing. Brunson had become the engine that was able to drive the team when Luka was slowed, or simply needed a break. Now, they are too Luka-centric, and when Luka isn't off the charts, they are rudderless.

Yeah it appears so.  Jalen was really good running the team when Luka was out.   That appears to be a big trouble this year.   Mavericks are last in the league in assists.  It shows in the game.   No ball movement.  Luka makes brilliant passes but he is the only one doing so.  It just continues to bother me we still rely on Luka ball for our offense.  I hoped we would morph into the Warriors type of style, but we appear to continue down the road of Harden ball.   It is not a very enjoyable style for me, even with Luka's brilliance.  

If the reports were to believed, Kidd and the front office was sold on Facu months ago.   To what...sit on the bench?   It also bothers me at their arrogance they thought they didn't need to upgrade their talent.   I understand there is tight playing time there, but we have seen how hamstrung we are without a third creator.   This goes off the rails if either Luka or Din misses games, imo.   I don't know if it was arrogance or incompetence this summer, but I think it was one of those.  I mean did they really think this load on Luka was sustainable and how could this roster win if he doesn't have that load with the rest of the players?

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Kammrath - 11-11-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1591047635095687169

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1591014434499358720

RE: ROSTER TALK: - MaxiThreeba - 11-11-2022

2 Things:

1.) This is the worst roster construction job in the NBA.   

2.) Luka is going to have to stop playing year round basketball and put all his effort into the team that’s paying him $200 million.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Smitty - 11-11-2022

(11-10-2022, 09:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It really feels to me that this roster is on the decline. 

I think DFS, Maxi, RB, THJ, SD, and DP are mostly great feel-good stories about guys who shouldn't have made it in the NBA, yet made a living from it. And it seems like they all have peaked in previous years and now we are on the descent for every single one of them. 

The outlook of this roster is REALLY, REALLY bleak. Luka and JG and Hardy are the possible areas for improvement, not sure anyone else has any glimmer of possibility of improving.

Now you see what I see.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 11-11-2022

(11-11-2022, 08:15 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: 2 Things:

1.) This is the worst roster construction job in the NBA.   

2.) Luka is going to have to stop playing year round basketball and put all his effort into the team that’s paying him $200 million.

This is the post.

Modern Offense...littered with Non-Modern players.

Stop blaming the shooters on off nights.  Stop defending Luka-Ball.   Stop calling it a modern offense.

Change the boring offensive scheme or change the players.  Luka goes down in Playoffs...this team is waste bin.  

Id much rather have GSW offense to efficient offense.  At least you have a chance if Plan A goes sour.  Gawd...those step back 3s beg me to change the channel.  I just dont know if its possible to have a modern offense be so slow and lack ball movement.  Luka is great and efficient...but he is not the end all say all...to the point a Franchise refuses to try anything else offensively.  Good luck getting another "hooper" in here...me thinks we are stuck with flawed players because thats the only type of players that will come here to play this style.

I would start making packages that consolidate the older guys on this team with possible picks and see if you can get a "hooper" in here.   

Yes...I get that we have looked bad in stretches the past 3 years in first half of season and have looked legit after All-Star break and that will probably happen again.  My point still stands that we need better scorers and to get more youthful where heavy minutes are played.  And dont tell me they are impossible to find because every other team has them.  Your lying and making desperate excuses.

If you cant get players in here via trade...Mavs need to put a lot of time into making sure they get contributors via draft.  And I dont want to here about how much of a crap shoot that is...because obviously acquiring vets is hard for us too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dirkfansince1998 - 11-11-2022

I have seen you mention GS a couple of times. How do you want to implement an off ball screen and cutting based offense without shooters like Curry and Thompson. GS´s scheme is unique. Outside-in. Raking last in the league in drives. First in the league in cuts to the rim. Forcing teams to overplay on the perimeter and opening up space in the paint.
Not to mention that GS has a giant talent advantage because the owner group is willing to pay whatever it takes to win. Cannot say the same about Cuban.
It´s not like other teams haven´t tried to steal some of their stuff. Just really difficult without the talent.

Non of the things you ask for are unreasonable and many of us have made similar cases in the past. But as you stated yourself. For some reason it is pretty hard for them to perform basic player evaluation. And impossible to sign players anywhere close to market value.

I am on board if they decide to trade some of the veteran wings like THJ and Bullock. Even if it´s a little bit of a gamble. But since I started to follow the Mavs I have never seen the Mavs do anything like that. And I see no indication that things will change anytime soon.
Even when all they had to do was trade vets and punt on the season they tried to compete. As a consequence they started the entire rebuild without the asset haul that other teams collect when they blow up the roster. And now it is too late. A Luka lead team is too good for a rebuilding season. Not to mention that the Mavs are still in pick debt.

I would agree with other posters that have already mentioned a realistic scenario based on the franchises past. Mavs won´t do any major moves this season. Convey the pick in the summer. Fire their last shot in Luka´s contract window to go after a legit 2nd star with all 1st round picks available when they see an opportunity.

Not sure if I agree with that approach. Even less convinced that they can pull it off. Being a Mavs fan isn´t easy...But on the other hand. GS fans would tell you that prior to the Curry/Kerr miracle being a fan of the team was even worse.
Last seasons WCF run was great and maybe that was the peak of the Luka in Dallas experience. Ignoring Dirk´s prime seasons that was already as good as it gets for the Mavs. 5th WCF in franchise history (3x Dirk / 1x Blackman, Aguirre, Harper).
It´s not going to be easy to repeat or improve upon it.

Anyway to determine +/= of the last three minutes of the first quarter and third quarter where Luka plays the whole quarter?   I heard that Luka likes playing the whole quarter, so why create that friction trying to do otherwise.

I just feel at times Luka is on a heater and that is fine.  But it also seems like this is where he gets careless or sloppy because he is tired after doing everything for 9 minutes while on the court.   Maybe breaking it down where he plays 9 minutes in the first and 8 in the second may be the better strategy.   With the end of the quarter you can also tie in that break into his regular rest.  

I don't know....maybe I am reaching here.

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1591131027597979648

I am not sure Dallas will make drastic changes, but I think I am open to doing so.

Such as starting Luka, Green, DFS, Wood and Maxi.    Dinwiddie might see that as a slight so maybe he stays and Green comes off the bench.  The start of games focus would be to get Wood and Dinwiddie or other going on offense with Luka easing him into the game.   

Well he comes back, I may get Bertans some minutes and totally put McGee on ice until he proves otherwise in practice.   Defense will be an issue there but I am just looking for offensive sparks.   I am having trouble finding 25 minutes a night for Hardaway...hope he improves.  This team clearly made some decisions this offseason that he was going to need a lot of minutes.  

If you could leave the first quarter with 6-8 for Wood and Din and maybe 8 for Luka, I think that is a good balance to start the game.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - JamesConway912 - 11-11-2022

(11-11-2022, 01:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1591131027597979648

He’s right. Outside of Luka this roster is very limited.

Horrible roster building over the summer once again. They miss Brunson badly out there but there was and remains absolutely no way of replacing him now.

Its mind boggling how much Cuban‘s cheapness has hurt this team.

Whats ridiculous about this whole thing is...

Luke doesnt even need another star...yet we are star chasing.  Luke needs basketball players around him...not % guys that do one thing good and thats it.   

Mavs seem to have trouble putting average NBA talent around Luka...and thats all he really needs.  What he doesnt need is a bunch of one dimensional supporting cast members.

Seems like every other team has basketball players but Dallas.  And posters on here will argue until the end that you cant find them.   I disagree wholeheartedly if other teams have them.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - SwisherPrice - 11-11-2022

So sick and tired of "3 and D" and "rim-running/pick and roll big man" but that's all the MBT (new and old) seem to know in regards to building this team. I am fully prepared for them to go after Beverley and Danny Green in free agency and that is after they trade for Jae Crowder and give up way too much. 

Then the MBT will have the 3 and D Dream Team they've been wanting for 5 years now.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - DallasMaverick - 11-11-2022

Seems to be a lot of negativity after a couple of bad losses, so here's something to brighten your day and restore your faith in the roster.

https://youtu.be/o9sYFcd_ZEY

https://youtu.be/VP_L7CAHid4

https://youtu.be/w_UXVFxm2-s

https://youtu.be/SEUloKoI6Lk

Problem is...how come out of those 4-5 guys...no one can make a play or step up if Luka isnt carrying.  We literally have 5 guys that cant get a bucket that play heavy minutes.

I will give you that Mavs look a lot better after All-Star break and in Playoffs...but if Luka goes down this team is toast.  Like worst team in the league toast.  

I get that Playoffs are what its all about...but having to rely on Luka being healthy and to get guys open shots that couldnt get a bucket if it wasnt for Luka seems like extremely risky management.

I guess you can feed me "this is a fine tuned machine that is built for playoffs"...Im just still skeptical you can win hardware with lack of attacker/bucket getters on offense.  Seems like the league is defending the perimeter better now that the 3 is in such high use around the league now.

I dont know.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Mikelorenzo - 11-13-2022

I agree that we need a big wing.. I am intrigued by the package that J.Vandervilt brings, hybrid defender, he can score 3/5 with confidence, good rebounder, can roll, blocks shots and is improving his 3p a lot (although at low volume) I think it would be a great adjustment that would allow us to start Wood, and make us even deeper.. Luka/Green/DFS/JV/Wood SD/THJ/Bullock/Maxi/Powell

Hardy/Mcgee/2Round for Vandervilt/Azubuike.?

RE: ROSTER TALK: - DanSchwartzgan - 11-13-2022

(11-13-2022, 09:56 AM)Mikelorenzo Wrote: I agree that we need a big wing.. I am intrigued by the package that J.Vandervilt brings, hybrid defender, he can score 3/5 with confidence, good rebounder, can roll, blocks shots and is improving his 3p a lot (although at low volume) I think it would be a great adjustment that would allow us to start Wood, and make us even deeper.. Luka/Green/DFS/JV/Wood SD/THJ/Bullock/Maxi/Powell

Hardy/Mcgee/2Round for Vandervilt/Azubuike.?

This is fascinating on several levels.  Vanderbilt is a defensive beast.  He’s exactly the kind of player who would make starting Wood and Luka a workable defensive lineup.  Yes, he’s another one-way player, but he’s elite at his one way.  The bad news is he’s a year away from his final season before being UFA…so a year from Brunson 2.0 with the same restrictions on extensions (I think).  You could go with Wood/Vanderbilt/DFS/Luka and any number of people depending on what you need.

I’ve assumed Utah would want to keep him or it would take a first rounder to get him.  Your construct involving Hardy and a second is really interesting.  The obvious issue is getting Utah to take McGee.  You could also do this as Frank/Hardy for Vanderbilt and leave the two centers out of the deal if Utah ended up with an open roster spot as part of another deal.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 11-13-2022

If Tim Hardaway can play within the offense, pass the ball and take those downhill attacking drives on a more regular basis...I would taper of my hate for him.

I liked Tim last night for the most part.  If he played like regularly...hes an asset to us since we lack scorers.

Anyway...Good job last night Tim.  And I am outspoken of my THJ hate.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - KillerLeft - 11-13-2022

(11-13-2022, 10:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Vanderbilt is a defensive beast.  He’s exactly the kind of player who would make starting Wood and Luka a workable defensive lineup.  Yes, he’s another one-way player, but he’s elite at his one way.  The bad news is he’s a year away from his final season before being UFA…so a year from Brunson 2.0 with the same restrictions on extensions (I think).  You could go with Wood/Vanderbilt/DFS/Luka and any number of people depending on what you need.

I'm not sure he's even so limited that you'd have to call him "one-way"...dude actually has some good handles. Here's a video (by a former Mavs staffer, no less) that touches briefly on how Vanderbilt is helping the Jazz win. 

https://youtu.be/WiTOhdkyNDI

I actually think the problem with adding Vanderbilt (who I agree would be PERFECT) might be that he's literally not available.