MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Smitty - 10-27-2022

A Luka - Dinwiddie backcourt to start off defensively is less than ideal. Luka looks to score to start so I prefer Din off the bench and let the Luka/Wood minutes set the tone. Start your 3 best defenders with Luka/Wood and the best 2-man offense in the NBA will be enough.

1st unit: Luka - RB - DFS - Wood - Maxi
2nd unit: Dinwiddie - THJ - Green - McGee

Luka 34 / Dinwiddie 14
RB 16 / THJ 16 / Dinwiddie 16
DFS 14 / Green 22 / RB 12
Wood 28 / DFS 20 
Maxi 26 / McGee 16 / Wood 6

Luka 34 min
RB 28 min
DFS 34 min
Wood 34 min
Maxi 26 min

Dinwiddie 30 min
THJ 16 min
Green 22 min
McGee 16 min

RE: ROSTER TALK: - DanSchwartzgan - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 02:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: So if McGee is roughly 15 minutes a game and Maxi is roughly 24 minutes a game, who is our center for the remaining 8-10 minutes?  Given that Powell is currently out of the rotation, the only answer is Wood.  If you except that Wood makes more sense with Maxi than McGee, you are looking at a big rotation of:

Wood:          8

And the way they are accomplishing this currently is two minutes at a time as Wood enters and leaves each half.

BTW, really nice analysis from Basketballnews.com below.  Pay special attention to the defensive analysis.  We all know the O stuff is working.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-dallas-mavericks-christian-wood-experiment-is-going-as-expected-luka-doncic-jason-kidd

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Mavsfan12 - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 03:00 PM)Smitty Wrote: A Luka - Dinwiddie backcourt to start off defensively is less than ideal. Luka looks to score to start so I prefer Din off the bench and let the Luka/Wood minutes set the tone. Start your 3 best defenders with Luka/Wood and the best 2-man offense in the NBA will be enough.

Luka 34 / Dinwiddie 14
Wood 28 / DFS 20 

Luka 34 min
RB 28 min
DFS 34 min
Wood 34 min
Maxi 26 min

Dinwiddie 30 min
THJ 16 min
Green 22 min
McGee 16 min

I think I would still like McGee starting for two reasons.  

First, I think the interior D with McGee/Wood would be pretty good.  Nice weakside shot blocking whichever way they attack and McGee would still be the one absorbing the starting C's minutes.  

Second, I have always thought that SD's best minutes would be without McGee in the game.  Staggering those two as much as possible is a good plan, IMO, to give SD open lanes to the basket.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - IamDougieFresh - 10-27-2022

Let me help you guys out

[Image: 6yevwh.jpg]

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Smitty - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 03:13 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I think I would still like McGee starting for two reasons.  

First, I think the interior D with McGee/Wood would be pretty good.  Nice weakside shot blocking whichever way they attack and McGee would still be the one absorbing the starting C's minutes.  

Second, I have always thought that SD's best minutes would be without McGee in the game.  Staggering those two as much as possible is a good plan, IMO, to give SD open lanes to the basket.

I am of the opinion that everyone’s best minutes would be without McGee in the game so we can certainly agree there.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - ItsGoTime - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 02:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: So if McGee is roughly 15 minutes a game and Maxi is roughly 24 minutes a game, who is our center for the remaining 8-10 minutes?  Given that Powell is currently out of the rotation, the only answer is Wood.  If you except that Wood makes more sense with Maxi than McGee, you are looking at a big rotation of:

Maxi/Wood:  24
Mcgee:         16
Wood:          8
I was answering Dan’s question of if Wood starts, who does he replace? Not sure Kidd will go back on his word with McGee, at least until the playoffs. So Wood would more than likely share most or all of McGee’s minutes. He’ll share some minutes with Maxi and have some minutes alone (as will Maxi).

RE: ROSTER TALK: - ItsGoTime - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 03:00 PM)Smitty Wrote: A Luka - Dinwiddie backcourt to start off defensively is less than ideal. Luka looks to score to start so I prefer Din off the bench and let the Luka/Wood minutes set the tone. Start your 3 best defenders with Luka/Wood and the best 2-man offense in the NBA will be enough.

Luka 34 / Dinwiddie 14
Wood 28 / DFS 20 

Luka 34 min
RB 28 min
DFS 34 min
Wood 34 min
Maxi 26 min

Dinwiddie 30 min
THJ 16 min
Green 22 min
McGee 16 min
I want to talk about this a bit. 

I mean, if you want to “reward” the players who took us to the WCF, what better way to do that than making Maxi a starter? It isn’t talked about much because he has always had issues with injuries when his minutes creep up beyond the 22 minute mark, but if they’re gonna play him 26 mpg, why not start him? I honestly think that starting 5 will shake out to be this iteration of our team as the best lineup when all’s said and done (if Bullock can gain some semblance of who he was in the playoffs).

That 2nd unit (adding any 1 of the starters with it) is pretty solid too if Green can show something offensively.

Great post!

RE: ROSTER TALK: - KillerLeft - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 03:00 PM)Smitty Wrote: 1st unit: Luka - RB - DFS - Wood - Maxi

Luka 34 / Dinwiddie 14
Wood 28 / DFS 20 

This would be far superior to what they're trying, imo. 

I think I'd go a step further and just play Wood as a solo big. I don't buy the narrative that he can't do it, and if I'm wrong about that he's not the guy they need, anyway. Better to find out this season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - DanSchwartzgan - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 04:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This would be far superior to what they're trying, imo. 

I think I'd go a step further and just play Wood as a solo big. I don't buy the narrative that he can't do it, and if I'm wrong about that he's not the guy they need, anyway. Better to find out this season.

Unless they are trying to build trade value.  Then, that would be a very bad idea.

(10-27-2022, 05:09 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Unless they are trying to build trade value.  Then, that would be a very bad idea.

It's a valid point. And, that might be for the best because he's definitely a candidate for "contract year fool's gold." 

But on the other hand...if he can man the 5 most of the time, and if he does keep playing hard, even after getting the bag, he might be the best possible player to put next to Luka for the next several years. 

It's a pickle.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Scott41theMavs - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 04:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This would be far superior to what they're trying, imo. 

Too early to say definitively of course, but if what we have seen on the offensive end continues throughout the year, I'd say it's hard to imagine that the Mavs could do better than him. "Trade him for Collins" - can Collins ride as a solo big to the extent you, KL, are asking?

(10-27-2022, 06:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: "Trade him for Collins" - can Collins ride as a solo big to the extent you, KL, are asking?

I don't think so, but I'd be much less worried about Collins playing as forward with another big.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - KillerLeft - 10-29-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1585977165644201984?s=20&t=PSmbQIWvbDZ20RD2CPTRsg

RE: ROSTER TALK: - DallasMaverick - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 03:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1585977165644201984?s=20&t=PSmbQIWvbDZ20RD2CPTRsg

He brings a valuable skill set to the team.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 10-29-2022

Just read more about Primo situation. Seems a team needs to have cap room or trade exception equaling his 4m+ deal to claim him on waivers. If no team does by Monday, he’s a free agent. Not sure we can get involved due to the harassment mess. Tantalizing talent though. Still only 19 years old!

RE: ROSTER TALK: - ItsGoTime - 10-29-2022

Let’s get Primo and follow it up with Bridges!

RE: ROSTER TALK: - chaparral - 10-29-2022

We could have had 22-year-old Jalen Smith over 34-year-old JaVale McGee.  This McGee signing is going to be hard on us Mavs fans.  I hope Powell has an excellent game tonight.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 10-30-2022

Too bad 2-way players are IMPOSSIBLE to find even though every other teams seems to find them.

I would love to have a decent young or in prime 2-way guy on our team that was pass first but could score/create if needed.

This team needs offense...and not the ball hogging kind of offense with no defense THJ brings.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Chicagojk - 10-30-2022

(10-30-2022, 10:22 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Too bad 2-way players are IMPOSSIBLE to find even though every other teams seems to find them.

I would love to have a decent young or in prime 2-way guy on our team that was pass first but could score/create if needed.

This team needs offense...and not the ball hogging kind of offense with no defense THJ brings.

Joe was a pretty polarizing prospect.   He had a very good freshman year but his shooting #'s dipped his next year.   He clearly had a good stroke though.  There was a lot of the draft experts who had him high though (mid first to late first).  He went in the second round to Philly and I think most thought Morey stole another guy.   He just never worked out there and had limited moments.  He looked great last night though.

Dorsey is intriguing and I like Wright.  But what is the end game with either?   Wright just turned 24 and Dorsey is 26.   I had no problem having Wright on a two way before they signed a third small point guard in Campazzo.   Do you need another small point guard as a two way then?   Does the team have hopes either guy develops as a role player in the next year or so?  If the answer is no, then why do they have two ways spots?

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 10-30-2022

(10-30-2022, 10:40 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Joe was a pretty polarizing prospect.   He had a very good freshman year but his shooting #'s dipped his next year.   He clearly had a good stroke though.  There was a lot of the draft experts who had him high though (mid first to late first).  He went in the second round to Philly and I think most thought Morey stole another guy.   He just never worked out there and had limited moments.  He looked great last night though.

Dorsey is intriguing and I like Wright.  But what is the end game with either?   Wright just turned 24 and Dorsey is 26.   I had no problem having Wright on a two way before they signed a third small point guard in Campazzo.   Do you need another small point guard as a two way then?   Does the team have hopes either guy develops as a role player in the next year or so?  If the answer is no, then why do they have two ways spots?

Im talking about 2-way as in Offense and Defense player...not the 16th chair 2way contract...but a player that plays offense and defense.

We dont need a 30M+ Jru Holliday...just decent hoopers on both ends of the floor.  But I am told they are IMPOSSIBLE to find.