MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dynamicalVoid - 10-21-2022

I hate Hardaways game....just hate it.  Hes a ball hogging chucker with no defense and bad decision making on offense....cant dribble either.  If he was smart he would lean on his mid-range shot...but he doesnt.

Dude sucks, folks.   His game is a mood killer.  We need to move him asap.  Even if he goes microwave for 30+ for a month straight.   His game is awful in todays NBA.  Total possession killer who refuses to play within the flow of offense.   Take this guys green light to shoot away please Jason.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 10-21-2022

We may have to try running more plays early for THJ to get him in rhythm. RC seemed better at maximizing him offensively. I thought before his injury last season he was awfully sulky and sullen at times for a guy who just got paid. I wonder if it’s an issue with Kidd or that Tim felt the new regime/game plan marginalized him in some way. No idea, but I hope he can get it going. We need his spacing and ability to score in bunches.

(10-21-2022, 12:57 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: We may have to try running more plays early for THJ to get him in rhythm. RC seemed better at maximizing him offensively. I thought before his injury last season he was awfully sulky and sullen at times for a guy who just got paid. I wonder if it’s an issue with Kidd or that Tim felt the new regime/game plan marginalized him in some way. No idea, but I hope he can get it going. We need his spacing and ability to score in bunches.

Hard pass from me, Dawg.   The guys game is terrible.  Hes a 90's player to me.  League has moved on to more pass friendly players with more ball movement...he doesnt play that way and is paid way too much.

I move this asap if it were up to me.   But...the simulation is going to manipulate this year and somehow THJ is going to come out a Hero so I look dumb.   Point still stands...hes possession killer player on offense who lacks todays NBA player  all around skills.

Hes frustrating to watch.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - KillerLeft - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 12:57 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: We may have to try running more plays early for THJ to get him in rhythm.

That's exactly what they did in game 1. 

I'm having trouble remembering a single THJ shot that was a "decision" and not a set play designed to end in a shot for him. Check that - there was that one he made in transition created by Green...but in the half court, at least the vast majority of his shots were designed opportunities. 

He just needs to make them. Hopefully, he's just rusty.

Ill swim the English Channel for a trade of THJ.

(10-21-2022, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's exactly what they did in game 1. 

I'm having trouble remembering a single THJ shot that was a "decision" and not a set play designed to end in a shot for him. Check that - there was that one he made in transition created by Green...but in the half court, at least the vast majority of his shots were designed opportunities. 

He just needs to make them. Hopefully, he's just rusty.

Hey...Im not trying to argue too much...I understand there is a possibility Mavs feed the guy to increase his value for a trade but:

Are you suggesting thats why they are feeding him or running set plays for him to increase value for a trade?

Or is your opinion they are trying to get him in rhythm or actually lean on him that much?

Because, my casual observing opinion is, Mavs are fools to really set that many plays for this guy and kill that many drives by feeding him.   Hes proven streaky.  Hes proven possession killer.  Hes proven ball hogger.  Hes proven not able to dribble or create.  Hes proven complete offensive mood killer by not playing within the flow of the offense.

To sum it up...our offense looks way better when hes not on the floor.  Flows better.   I have a hard time believing Mavs prefer THJ's inconsistent offensive game and terrible overall game.

What are the maths?  How often does he microwave and how can you count on that to win you games?

I guess it would have to do with Points Per Minute Played or something like that.  Is THJ's off the wall good?  Is it worth killing the teams mood with his chucking even if he has good PPMP?

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Jason Terry - 10-21-2022

Hardaway and Green for Conley would solve problems for both teams. Jazz need a tank commander. Get it done Nico

RE: ROSTER TALK: - cow - 10-21-2022

I'm not sure Ainge would want to turn $36.9-46.9m over two years into $61.2m over three years.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Jommybone - 10-21-2022

(10-20-2022, 09:13 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The Maxi "lone big" minutes were the issue. 

I really thought we went through periods of the game where the fix was just in. All the whistles went the other way. Really didn’t seem to matter who was on the floor or on the bench. Certainly wouldn’t throw out all the playoffs evidence because of the second half of one regular season game.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Kammrath - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 07:26 PM)Jommybone Wrote: wouldn’t throw out all the playoffs evidence

The playoffs never included a Luka+THJ backcourt with Maxi as the lone big. 

And as others have stated, Maxi was coming off illness. I am not saying never play Maxi as the lone big. But those minutes SUCKED in the 1st game.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Jakeospikez - 10-23-2022

Shouldn't THJ & Powell's value be at an all time high this year? Some team is gonna want these guys as tank commanders to snatch defeat from the claws of victory.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - ItsGoTime - 10-23-2022

(10-23-2022, 10:20 AM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Shouldn't THJ & Powell's value be at an all time high this year? Some team is gonna want these guys as tank commanders to snatch defeat from the claws of victory.
Powell, yes. THJ? That’s 3 years of commitment to tanking. But, hey, maybe Sr. will show up at a few games!

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Scott41theMavs - 10-23-2022

(10-23-2022, 10:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Powell, yes. THJ? That’s 3 years of commitment to tanking. But, hey, maybe Sr. will show up at a few games!

Here's a gonzo idea - 
THJ/Powell/Bertans/Green for Lauri/Clarkson/Conley. I'm not sure what the definitive restrictions on our future picks are, but you know that it would require at least two firsts and two or three pick swaps to get Ainge to bite, so perhaps it would have to be a next summer type deal.

Luka/Conley/Facu
SD/Clarkson/Hardy
DFS/Bullock/Pinson
LM/Maxi
Wood/McGee

If Kidd could get LM to play defense, and presuming Cuban ponies up for Wood in the offseason, that could be a dynasty.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - mvossman - 10-23-2022

(10-23-2022, 12:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Here's a gonzo idea - 
THJ/Powell/Bertans/Green for Lauri/Clarkson/Conley. I'm not sure what the definitive restrictions on our future picks are, but you know that it would require at least two firsts and two or three pick swaps to get Ainge to bite, so perhaps it would have to be a next summer type deal.

Luka/Conley/Facu
SD/Clarkson/Hardy
DFS/Bullock/Pinson
LM/Maxi
Wood/McGee

If Kidd could get LM to play defense, and presuming Cuban ponies up for Wood in the offseason, that could be a dynasty.

Conley is too old, Clarkson doesn't play defense and LM is a poor mans Wood.  None of those guys address the long term need of a legit two way player that can defend and create.  If we are sending every future asset we have, I would prefer quality over quantity.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - cow - 10-23-2022

No FRPs until after the draft.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Winter - 10-24-2022

Question: If Dallas makes a trade at the deadline, what position needs help?

I realize this may be based on who the outgoing players are, but I think we can at least imagine Powell and possibly THj as outgoing. The little pizza could easily be traded as well (or cut) if we were getting PG -playmaker back.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-24-2022

Needed: Playmaker.

Doesn't have to be a PG. Wood isn't one but he has semblance of playmaking better than most guys on the team. Wood too can handle the ball some for a big. But the Mavs need another -- from the guard spot.

My 2 top choices:

1. Clarkson
2. Levert

Levert just won the starting SF role, but that's just indicative of his diminished role since the Mitchell trade (He wasn't the unanimous and overwhelming choice as starter). Will the Cavs extend him? Will they resign him? Does Levert even want to be there?

On the Mavs, he'd replace SD as the starting SG, or be the primary backup to Luka. Either way the length of the backcourt will be insane.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 10-24-2022

(10-23-2022, 01:58 PM)cow Wrote: No FRPs until after the draft.

Very much this.

I keep staring at Charlotte and hoping they go into firesale mode because it feels like you can offer some cap relief and some seconds to get some folks who could round out our playoff rotation.

Keep thinking that Hardaway/Bertans/Powell and a second or two for Hayward/Rozier would save them some money this season as well as next season and it really wouldn't create too much of a burden for us financially moving forward either.  Rounds our the wing rotation and Rozier can play Hardaway's minutes.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - mvossman - 10-24-2022

(10-24-2022, 06:50 AM)Winter Wrote: Question: If Dallas makes a trade at the deadline, what position needs help?

I realize this may be based on who the outgoing players are, but I think we can at least imagine Powell and possibly THj as outgoing. The little pizza could easily be traded as well (or cut) if we were getting PG -playmaker back.

In an ideal world we could send out Timmy and his minutes for a rotational level player that can be a third playmaker.  The problem is that Timmy is probably a negative asset right now and I don't know that adding Green is going to change that.  We also don't want to send out a first in that kind of trade because it will significantly impact the package we can send out for a bigger fish next offseason (after the draft).

RE: ROSTER TALK: - Winter - 10-24-2022

(10-24-2022, 10:27 AM)mvossman Wrote: In an ideal world we could send out Timmy and his minutes for a rotational level player that can be a third playmaker.  The problem is that Timmy is probably a negative asset right now and I don't know that adding Green is going to change that.  We also don't want to send out a first in that kind of trade because it will significantly impact the package we can send out for a bigger fish next offseason (after the draft).

I wouldn't send out a first-rounder either.

I think THj is tradeable, but not to a team that has something important to offer. Nor do I think some big-name player will be available in any trade.

Like you, I suspect a better playmaker (not Conley), but it's pretty hard to envision that now. Closer to the deadline there might be more clarity.