MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Mavs2021 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:18 AM)Winter Wrote: The question I have for now is....

Which wing player are the Mavs looking to acquire in a trade?

Sexton is a guard, so I'm not convinced this is it. Thoughts?

Coby White won´t be on the Bulls, when the season starts, but they likely aim higher than Powell. Big Grin

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This prediction is a little "tin foil hat" of me, so be warned. 

I recently watched "Hustle" on Netflix (way better than I expected, for those who haven't seen it). 

I couldn't help but notice that there was a heavy Mavs representation in the film. I don't know if Cuban's production company was involved in any way or not, but he was in it, Dirk was in it and Luka was in it. 

So were Kyle Lowry and Matisse Thybulle, both of whom the Mavs have shown interest in recently. I'm guessing the filming of the movie had taken place before last summer's Lowry pursuit. Is this coincidence, or did Cuban (or Dirk, or Luka) get to know those guys on set and decide they should be Mavs during that time? 

There are a ton of other NBA types in the film, a TON. But, this guy, the star of the film (who actually does a great job in the lead role, believe it or not) is now free:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1542598515372634112?s=20&t=5j5koMf2PC-Yibja5IzbLg

Would anyone be shocked if Cuban decides to bring him in, somehow? I would not. 

And actually, Tobias Harris also had a pretty big role in the film, so I think maybe I've been a little too dismissive of the idea they'd bring him in. 

I actually think it's possible this is how they're making decisions over there, through some type of social connection like this - I hope I'm wrong.

If he brought him in, who's leaving?  The frontcourt is already crowded.  It was a good film BTW...

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - KillerLeft - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:45 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: If he brought him in, who's leaving?  The frontcourt is already crowded.

No idea, my guy. Just having some fun on this one. 

But, I DO expect a trade soon, actually, so the current roster state doesn't dissuade me from ideas, realistic or crazy.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

Is it cheating if I am still pissed at this front office but on the other hand thinks Goran looks pretty spry with the Slovenian National Team?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - KillerLeft - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Is it cheating if I am still pissed at this front office but on the other hand thinks Goran looks pretty spry with the Slovenian National Team?

Dragic would be a great signing, I think we all agree about that. 

I hope it's still possible, now that the TPMLE has vanished. It wouldn't shock me if he signed here for the minimum, but then again, it also wouldn't shock me if he got a better offer somewhere else.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Dragic would be a great signing, I think we all agree about that. 

I hope it's still possible, now that the TPMLE has vanished. It wouldn't shock me if he signed here for the minimum, but then again, it also wouldn't shock me if he got a better offer somewhere else.

Wouldn't that be the kick in the nuts.  It wouldn't shock me to see the Mavs not tie this down.  For instance, GS after losing Payton and Otto going after Dragic as a bench guard.   Do they have any MLE left?  They would be hard to beat if they wanted a player like Goran.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - cow - 07-01-2022

Powell and Bertans are still on the team?

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Fuerza1 - 07-01-2022

IMO, Dinwiddie is the one with the most value (it's not much) and most likely to get traded, assuming Dragic can be brought in.

Would you rather:

A. keep Dinwiddie, sign Dragic at vet min, and keep everything else the same? 

B. trade Dinwiddie for a rotation wing player behind DFS/Bullock, and sign Dragic? This option could also open the door for more Jaden Hardy minutes.

(07-01-2022, 01:21 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: IMO, Dinwiddie is the one with the most value (it's not much) and most likely to get traded, assuming Dragic can be brought in.

Would you rather:

B. trade Dinwiddie for a rotation wing player behind DFS/Bullock, and sign Dragic? This option could also open the door for more Jaden Hardy minutes.

A, by far, though I hope there's an option C.

If I'm Dallas I am simply not trading Dinwiddie at this time (unless it's part of some huge, no-brainer for some all star, which obviously won't happen). I think he's poised to have a GREAT season as 6th man, as long as they don't mess with the spacing too much.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - cow - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:21 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: IMO, Dinwiddie is the one with the most value (it's not much) and most likely to get traded, assuming Dragic can be brought in.

Would you rather:

I think you need three guards who can create on their own so A.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Scott41theMavs - 07-01-2022

Would you rather:

Trade Dinwiddie?

I was mostly away from the board for about five months, but one of the most surprising developments here was the narrative of Dinwiddie deprecation after the playoffs. I guess people prefer the bad old days. Luka-Brunson-Dinwiddie was far better than Luka-Brunson-THJ. SD is a more valuable creator than Dragic today, and certainly than THJ. 

After seeing how good the team looked with three playmakers, they want to go down to one and a half (and that's if we get Dragic, which as people have said, is far from a done deal!) and play Super-Hardenball? That will sure attract free agents. 

Unless we somehow get our pick back and are wanting to tank this year, trading Dinwiddie this summer without a playmaker coming back is committing seppuku on the year. If the Mavs trade him, I for one will be  Angry . They lost that luxury definitively when JB walked.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Fuerza1 - 07-01-2022

For his career, Dinwiddie shoots an inefficient FG%/3PT% at 41/32 respectively. 

In the playoffs, he was a heavy ISOLATION player at 31% frequency. Compare that to Luka's 27% or Brunson's 20%. 

He also has an ACL tear in both of his knees. 

Next year will be his 9th NBA season at 29 years old. Sure, he played reasonably in a small sample size in DAL, but what if he regresses to the mean? THJ took a step back last season at 29 years old, what if Dinwiddie does the same?

I agree having a capable playmaker is paramount, which makes Dinwiddie valuable. I think he stays but then what is the most realistic offer you can get for THJ, Bertans, or Powell? I don't see a quality player in return for those 3.

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1542859514310975488?s=20&t=LQvmRvs0PqsRyEYrMp66Xg

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - sterlingmallory - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Trade Dinwiddie?

I was mostly away from the board for about five months, but one of the most surprising developments here was the narrative of Dinwiddie deprecation after the playoffs. I guess people prefer the bad old days. Luka-Brunson-Dinwiddie was far better than Luka-Brunson-THJ. SD is a more valuable creator than Dragic today, and certainly than THJ. 

After seeing how good the team looked with three playmakers, they want to go down to one and a half (and that's if we get Dragic, which as people have said, is far from a done deal!) and play Super-Hardenball? That will sure attract free agents. 

Unless we somehow get our pick back and are wanting to tank this year, trading Dinwiddie this summer without a playmaker coming back is committing seppuku on the year. If the Mavs trade him, I for one will be  Angry . They lost that luxury definitively when JB walked.

Yep. This team didn't take off until we added the third playmaker in Dinwiddie. If anyone should be traded it should be THJ with the goal of getting another playmaker in return to get us back to 3. Then I'd like to also sign Dragic even after that to give us 4. We need as many playmaking guards as possible. Losing Brunson is a huge step back and trading Dinwiddie would just make it worse.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - MAVS-SLO - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Most of the guys I was hoping for the Tax MLE went higher than I expected.   So maybe options were limited.

As of now, I am continued to be disappointed in our front office and don't want to hold out hope they figure things out.  Prove it.

If the rest of the moves is Goran and a bench rotational wing, then I don't think that is good enough.   Goran may be good.  But at his age, I have trouble thinking he can get close to the late season playoff run Jalen had.  McGee is probably and upgrade to Powell, but does it matter much with the roster as is?   What do we get for Powell and is it better than his expiring contract?  

Mavs are back in the stage of looking for an all star.   I am so sick of waiting for this and always coming up short.  I was hopeful we would have a group of guys who played well together and fit well.  Then we could bode time for that last final piece.  I feel like we have taken a step back and are now dependent on that big move....you know the one we are always disappointed missing out on.

I don't think everything wrong is on FO. The more i'm thinking the more i'm getting the felling that if only JB was resigned, everyone would grade our offseason with A or at least A-.

Let's be realistic, former FO after 2018 draft did terrible mistakes and currently no one can clean the all that mess in 1 year. And they already did a lot in that way. 

As i said before, if it wasn't for JB situation i think everyone would be grading this offseason as a very good one. And the more we see from this JB situation the less we can blame our current FO for this. Yes, they did mistakes with his contract extension before, but if it's true that they didn't even have a chance to present their offer while they go to the NY that has a lot to say also about JB. 

And karma can strikes him very easily during next season when all the media would be expecting that they 100+ mil. player to bring them in to playoff. 
I don't think he is really such type of a player and that the only winner here is him with the money he got. For the Knicks it can quickly becomes overpaid and untradable, while for us it is the loss because we lost our own draft pick who did tremendous improvment during last season. 
So i really don't see the winner here, except JB themself. And i've got the feeling that they offered him such money, more because they got him from us, then they would offer him if they would be signing pg from another team.

The last thing regarding JB, can Knicks be punished for the tampering rules? And what would their punishment bring to us?

BACK TO THE MAVS:

FO solves the center situation with almost 0 assets. Wood as the first option with huge upside was bassicaly traded for nothing and McGee as a backup center with championship experience and rim protection is also nice addition with half of the Powells salary. 

Backcourt is also on a good level. Spencer became a little bit undervalued here compared to JB. No one expected JB to took such a leap during last season and Spencer maybe have even bigger potential compared to him. We are also getting THJ back, and healthy THJ won us the same number of games vs Clippers like JB did vs Jazz.

There is also Hardy in wich i have high hopes to become a real threat in the NBA, and probably getting Goran as a backup PG and chemistry.

That roster still looks like:

Wood - McGee - Maxi
DFS - 
Bullock - Green
Dinwiddie - Hardaway - Hardy
Luka - Goran - Frank

The redudant players here are Powell and Bertans, so if Nico is capable of trading them for a different player at 4-3 (maybe Tobias Harris if Philly is desperate shopping him), with the Kidd as the HC i think thats the team with potential for a long playoff run.

(07-01-2022, 01:57 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: For his career, Dinwiddie shoots an inefficient FG%/3PT% at 41/32 respectively. 

In the playoffs, he was a heavy ISOLATION player at 31% frequency. Compare that to Luka's 27% or Brunson's 20%. 

Next year will be his 9th NBA season at 29 years old. Sure, he played reasonably in a small sample size in DAL, but what if he regresses to the mean? THJ took a step back last season at 29 years old, what if Dinwiddie does the same?

I agree having a capable playmaker is paramount, which makes Dinwiddie valuable. I think he stays but then what is the most realistic offer you can get for THJ, Bertans, or Powell? I don't see a quality player in return for those 3.

After being surprised by him during the regular season, I was really disappointed in Dinwiddie in the playoffs.  I share your regression concerns, but on the other hand he'll be farther removed from his last injury.  Still not a guy I want on the team in the long run, but for now he's a necessity.  Love his personality though.

THJ probably has a little value.  Powell would probably need a minor asset attached to dump his expiring (maybe someone likes Green?).  Bertans would need a major asset or two attached to get rid of him.

(07-01-2022, 02:06 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: The more i'm thinking the more i'm getting the felling that if only JB was resigned, everyone would grade our offseason with A or at least A-.

I would, yes. 

But, that's the point. At the professional level, the line between success and failure is razor sharp. They desperately needed a better outcome than this one with the Brunson situation. There are multiple levels of better outcomes that would have been superior to this rock bottom outcome, and they didn't achieve any of them.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - MAVS-SLO - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would, yes. 

But, that's the point. At the professional level, the line between success and failure is razor sharp. They desperately needed a better outcome than this one with the Brunson situation. There are multiple levels of better outcomes that would have been superior to this rock bottom outcome, and they didn't achieve any of them.

Of course, we can count many mistakes the did with this situation (from the draft contract and forward), but the point is that in the last situation, JB also played dirty game with the FO and in my opinion fell in many views.

https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1542983799885205505?s=20&t=LQvmRvs0PqsRyEYrMp66Xg

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1542964135629029387?s=20&t=LQvmRvs0PqsRyEYrMp66Xg

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - ThisIStheYear - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:57 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: For his career, Dinwiddie shoots an inefficient FG%/3PT% at 41/32 respectively. 

Agree, I’d trade Widdie now. He’s a sell high.  You don’t trade THJ, he’s a sell low. It’s very basic.