MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - KillerLeft - 10-17-2022

My challenge for everyone here is to really think about the following statement, which I don't expect everyone to accept as gospel, but which I, personally, believe is true:

One of the main reasons Porzingis didn't work here was because he was too slow and couldn't change direction fast enough in half-court defensive situations. 

Wood is probably more up to the task, physically, but he has major motor concerns and I have a deep-seeded fear that McGee is going to be a statue out there.

The solution with KP was drop coverage and tons of it. I hope everyone is ready for another healthy dose of that this season. I just thought the basketball people in Dallas were more enlightened, so I can't help but to find all of this quite depressing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 09:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't know how else to say it: I simply did not go into the off-season thinking the team HAD to get a new center to move to the next level. If they can get a better player of the same type they had last season to plug in, great!

Hard disagree on this.  The Maxi/Powell tandem clearly wore down in the regular season, and Powell was completely useless in the playoffs.  I can understand wanting to go a different direction for center rotational depth, but don't see how this could be a top 10 defense with only Maxi/Powell for the entire season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - KillerLeft - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 09:51 PM)mvossman Wrote: Hard disagree on this.  The Maxi/Powell tandem clearly wore down in the regular season, and Powell was completely useless in the playoffs.  I can understand wanting to go a different direction for center rotational depth, but don't see how this could be a top 10 defense with only Maxi/Powell for the entire season.

Well, that's why we're here - to discuss the game. It's ok to disagree! 

You asked, so I answered. I am sooooooo not excited about what they did this summer. I welcomed the Wood addition and thought "good, the bigs rotation will be better and more dangerous! Now, go and lock Brunson in!"

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 09:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My challenge for everyone here is to really think about the following statement, which I don't expect everyone to accept as gospel, but which I, personally, believe is true:

One of the main reasons Porzingis didn't work here was because he was too slow and couldn't change direction fast enough in half-court defensive situations. 

Wood is probably more up to the task, physically, but he has major motor concerns and I have a deep-seeded fear that McGee is going to be a statue out there.

The solution with KP was drop coverage and tons of it. I hope everyone is ready for another healthy dose of that this season. I just thought the basketball people in Dallas were more enlightened, so I can't help but to find all of this quite depressing.

I would argue the biggest reasons KP didn't work here were his limited availability, chemistry issues, and unwillingness to P&R while pushing for stupid post ups. 

KP was ok defensively last season.  He did require drop coverage, but the numbers don't really point him to being some catastrophic impact on defense:

The team defensive rating was better when he was on the court than off
The team was top 5 defense when he was on it, and middle of the pack after the trade
The team was middle of the pack defense in the playoffs

McGee will require drop coverage as well, but he has been significantly better on defense the last couple of seasons than KP.  He is a much better rim protector, rebounder and post defender.  I would be willing to bet for minutes that Maxi is not on the court, the defense will be better with McGee than without.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - dirkfansince1998 - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 10:25 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would argue the biggest reasons KP didn't work here were his limited availability, chemistry issues, and unwillingness to P&R while pushing for stupid post ups. 

KP was ok defensively last season.  He did require drop coverage, but the numbers don't really point him to being some catastrophic impact on defense:

The team defensive rating was better when he was on the court than off
The team was top 5 defense when he was on it, and middle of the pack after the trade
The team was middle of the pack defense in the playoffs

McGee will require drop coverage as well, but he has been significantly better on defense the last couple of seasons than KP.  He is a much better rim protector, rebounder and post defender.  I would be willing to bet for minutes that Maxi is not on the court, the defense will be better with McGee than without.

That´s not really the full picture. Over the entire season KP´s impact was barely positive. The defensive rating peaked when KP was out. Was great in the first games after the trade. Went downhill in the last month.
More about fatigue and injury problems. Maxi with his usual nagging back/achilles injuries. DFS and Bullock looking tired. Luka coasting.

And it´s not like McGee had outstanding defensive impact numbers. In 9 out of his 10 last seasons the team defense was better without him on the floor. He was a net negative on defense. I am not sure if he is any better than KP. Would argue that he is worse. And as most of you know I really wasn´t high on KPs defense.

(10-17-2022, 10:25 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would argue the biggest reasons KP didn't work here were his limited availability, chemistry issues, and unwillingness to P&R while pushing for stupid post ups. 

Right. I know that because you've stated it in exactly that way about 100 times (sorry, this comment is about the rest of your post that I didn't quote, about the defense being better with KP than without). 

I agree with all of the above, but my biggest problem with him was his lack of mobility (several different types of mobility). You already know that because I've stated it in the same way about 100 times. 

I'm glad you like the team and the roster. I just don't, that's all.

(10-17-2022, 10:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The defensive rating peaked when KP was out. Was great in the first games after the trade. Went downhill in the last month.
More about fatigue and injury problems. Maxi with his usual nagging back/achilles injuries. DFS and Bullock looking tired. Luka coasting.

This is very close to what my impression of events was. You will never convince me that what I watched here during KP's tenure was "good" defense, except for a few games here and there and one stretch last season of about 7 games in a row.

I'm reasonably sure that McGee will be at least as good on that end as KP, but sadly, that's not something I'd shoot for.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 09:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: One of the main reasons Porzingis didn't work here was because he was too slow and couldn't change direction fast enough in half-court defensive situations. 

I agree with this.
But the coaching staff would have devised a plan to diminish this weakness had KP been outstanding in offense.
The drop coverage center would have been a non issue if KP was reliable on the other end.
Would have justified feeding him the ball if he can consistently punish the defender. 
But he couldn't do this.
I know comparing him to Dirk is unfair, but Dirk with a small on him or a slow big spells automatic points. With KP, you just have to hold your breath.
Wood's 6'11" frame is more mobile, more agile and his skill isn't less than KP. But I think Wood's advantage over KP is that he can score on his own, specially on smaller players, and when he isn't fed the ball for an ISO, his play can be based on cuts and PNRs which enables him to score with less usage.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - ItsGoTime - 10-18-2022

(10-17-2022, 09:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just thought the basketball people in Dallas were more enlightened, so I can't help but to find all of this quite depressing.
People are free to disagree with you, they just aren’t as enlightened as you are.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - KillerLeft - 10-18-2022

(10-17-2022, 11:52 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I agree with this.
But the coaching staff would have devised a plan to diminish this weakness had KP been outstanding in offense.
The drop coverage center would have been a non issue if KP was reliable on the other end.
Would have justified feeding him the ball if he can consistently punish the defender. 
But he couldn't do this.
I know comparing him to Dirk is unfair, but Dirk with a small on him or a slow big spells automatic points. With KP, you just have to hold your breath.
Wood's 6'11" frame is more mobile, more agile and his skill isn't less than KP. But I think Wood's advantage over KP is that he can score on his own, specially on smaller players, and when he isn't fed the ball for an ISO, his play can be based on cuts and PNRs which enables him to score with less usage.

I’m with you on this. I’m not sure defense would’ve ever been a non-issue with KP, but I absolutely agree that if he had been a fit on the other end they’d have had more incentive to try to make it work.

He was such an all around disappointment!

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - cow - 10-18-2022

(10-17-2022, 09:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My challenge for everyone here is to really think about the following statement, which I don't expect everyone to accept as gospel, but which I, personally, believe is true:

What's your solution though?  MBT turned chicken shit into chicken salad with the Wood trade.  Not a fancy restaurant chicken salad, but a McDonalds chicken salad.  The plus side is that he rebounds.  McGee was brought here to matchup against more traditional centers, provide more rim protection and add to the rotation so we don't wear out Maxi.   That's a decent rotation with a versatile combination of offense and defense.  Consider where we were last year and our limited resources, I'd say the MBT did okay here.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Scott41theMavs - 10-18-2022

(10-18-2022, 03:55 AM)cow Wrote: What's your solution though?  MBT turned chicken shit into chicken salad with the Wood trade.  Not a fancy restaurant chicken salad, but a McDonalds chicken salad.  The plus side is that he rebounds.  McGee was brought here to matchup against more traditional centers, provide more rim protection and add to the rotation so we don't wear out Maxi.   That's a decent rotation with a versatile combination of offense and defense.  Consider where we were last year and our limited resources, I'd say the MBT did okay here.

But they themselves said that the greatest need this offseason was a wing. Unless they were saying, with a twinkle in their eye, "THJ is back!", then epic fail on that front. Moreover, replacing Brunson as a ballhandler was a Psycho shower music urgency after he walked. Facu is a pretty lame answer.

Actually, the scariest thing written on the previous page was KL's point about Powell. I bet we're going to see a fair amount of him, his garbage time in the last preseason game notwithstanding. That in itself tanks the McGee signing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-18-2022

(10-17-2022, 10:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s not really the full picture. Over the entire season KP´s impact was barely positive. The defensive rating peaked when KP was out. Was great in the first games after the trade. Went downhill in the last month.

And it´s not like McGee had outstanding defensive impact numbers. In 9 out of his 10 last seasons the team defense was better without him on the floor. He was a net negative on defense. I am not sure if he is any better than KP. Would argue that he is worse. And as most of you know I really wasn´t high on KPs defense.

On/off numbers are tricky to assess.  For the last couple of seasons when McGee was not on the court it was likely AD or Ayton.  I used it in KP case because the whole argument was that he was tanking the defense (he was not).  I'm not arguing that KP was a great or necessary defender.  What I am arguing more than anything is that we clearly lacked depth at the center position after the trade (something I think even you can agree with as the team clear ran down) and needed to add rotational depth.

A big difference between KP and McGee is that we had to play one (when he could play) 30+ minutes a game.  The other is completely optional.  There are times when he will be effective and time that he wont.  We are not in any way locked into playing him a certain amount of minutes, especially in the playoffs.  I really do think he will help with the wear and tear on the big position.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-18-2022

(10-17-2022, 10:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Right. I know that because you've stated it in exactly that way about 100 times (sorry, this comment is about the rest of your post that I didn't quote, about the defense being better with KP than without). 

I agree with all of the above, but my biggest problem with him was his lack of mobility (several different types of mobility). You already know that because I've stated it in the same way about 100 times. 

I'm glad you like the team and the roster. I just don't, that's all.

I didn't really say that.  I would greatly prefer another rotational playmaker (and think it was a disaster they let Brunson walk), and I would rather have a Maxi clone than what we got this offseason.  But all they had was a crappy first, crappy expirings and the tax MLE.  Not much to work with.  I would have preferred a different direction, but I don't think there were a lot of options.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - KillerLeft - 10-18-2022

(10-18-2022, 12:36 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: People are free to disagree with you, they just aren’t as enlightened as you are.

1) I literally say some variation of your first sentence in every third post these days, precisely to avoid passive aggressive stuff like this. I guess I'll try harder. I'm sorry my opinions offend you, but I'm definitely going to keep thinking for myself. 

2) I'm not sure I made it clear enough, but that "enlightened" comment was about "the basketball people in Dallas," which was my way of saying "the people who work for the Mavericks." It had nothing to do with the frequenters of this message board, though now that I can see some took it that way, I think we could use a little more enlightenment around here. Who couldn't?

(10-18-2022, 11:03 AM)mvossman Wrote: I would have preferred a different direction, but I don't think there were a lot of options.

Right. I get it, trust me. 

I don't know what it is about this place (not aimed at you MVOSS) but there's this trend of restating every nuance of every opinion in every post as if none of us have ever met. 

Guys, I READ what you write. I try to remember it. I remember quite a bit about every conversation I've ever had with most of you, dating in some cases to like 2008. 

Anyway, to your point, what I'm saying is that I would've been happier with nothing being added after Wood (a trade I think has potential) than I am with what they've done since. I'm not comparing it to moves I think should've been made, I'm comparing it to last year's team. I like this one less.

(10-18-2022, 03:55 AM)cow Wrote: McGee was brought here to matchup against more traditional centers

This is just where our preferred approaches differ. 

When I see a "traditional center" being played, my thought is "sweet! Get Kleber out there and make them pay for playing that sloth!" Wood has the ability to do that, too, potentially, which is why I liked that one. 

I think the very last thing you should want to do is match personnel with your opponent. That's what they want you to do. They are playing that traditional center because they have no choice, imo. 

I mean, people are free to view the game through their own lenses, but for my money not playing guys like McGee is pretty much how the Mavs beat Utah and PHX last year. People bring up GS, but unlike most, my takeaway from that series wasn't really about lack of a "traditional center."

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - dirkfansince1998 - 10-18-2022

(10-18-2022, 10:54 AM)mvossman Wrote: On/off numbers are tricky to assess.  For the last couple of seasons when McGee was not on the court it was likely AD or Ayton.  I used it in KP case because the whole argument was that he was tanking the defense (he was not).  I'm not arguing that KP was a great or necessary defender.  What I am arguing more than anything is that we clearly lacked depth at the center position after the trade (something I think even you can agree with as the team clear ran down) and needed to add rotational depth.

A big difference between KP and McGee is that we had to play one (when he could play) 30+ minutes a game.  The other is completely optional.  There are times when he will be effective and time that he wont.  We are not in any way locked into playing him a certain amount of minutes, especially in the playoffs.  I really do think he will help with the wear and tear on the big position.

Of course on/off isn´t perfect. Especially in small sample sizes. But in this case we are looking at a player in his mid 30s. Giant sample size. Him being a net negative on defense in all but one season in the last ten years is concerning. I get that others want to focus on the positives. Shot blocking and rim protection.
Personally I am more concerned about the short comings. His shot blocking comes with league leading foul rates. Is that even a positive? As @"KillerLeft" likes to point out. He cannot defend in space and forces the Mavs to adjust their scheme if they want to protect him from being exposed. Even though he improved over the last couple of years his mediocre (for lack of words) bball IQ and awareness will lead to defensive breakdown.

Not to mention that the on/off numbers paint a similar picture when it comes to his rebounding. More often than not team rebounding didn´t improve with him on the floor. McGee will chase rebounds. He isn´t known for his box outs.

Based on his past I wouldn´t be suprised if his offense ends up better than his defense. I already mentioned the tendency to chase rebounds. That´s also the case on offense. Leading to elite offensive rebounding numbers. Combined with good screens and rim runnning it´s not suprising that +/- based metrics favor his offense over his defense.

I agree that he will help with the wear and tear. Don´t agree that he is an optional player. The starter promise combined with the three year deal makes him more than just a random rotation player.

RE: ROSTER TALK: - dirkfansince1998 - 10-18-2022

(10-18-2022, 11:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: 2) I'm not sure I made it clear enough, but that "enlightened" comment was about "the basketball people in Dallas," which was my way of saying "the people who work for the Mavericks." It had nothing to do with the frequenters of this message board, though now that I can see some took it that way, I think we could use a little more enlightenment around here. Who couldn't?

Bob is gone and just to f*** with him the Mavs abandoned +/- based analytics. Engelmann is gone as well. A new philosophy based on whatever the new front office guys value. Will be a hard season for stat nerds like me.

(10-18-2022, 11:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I agree that he will help with the wear and tear. Don´t agree that he is an optional player. The starter promise combined with the three year deal makes him more than just a random rotation player.

This is exactly where I land on McGee, and I can't stand it.