MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - F Gump - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 01:00 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I think if I remember correctly from past seasons this is something to do with rights to have them on the legends. I think they go through a sign and release cycle with multiple players at this time of the season for that reason while they still have the open spot.

Yep.

For certain kinds of contracts, the Legends get exclusive G-League rights on Mav signees who are waived before the end of camp.

There is a lot of this going on right now, across the NBA.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Chicagojk - 10-15-2022

Riller was in the Josh Green draft.   He had some late first/early second buzz during the draft process.  Wound up going late second.  He was a darling of the analytic guys, I believe.   Undersized two guard who exceled scoring off the dribble in college.   Will probably put up good g-league #'s.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - WillE - 10-15-2022

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1765354/

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - cow - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 05:30 PM)WillE Wrote: https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1765354/

Legend.  It seems like just yesterday we signed him.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Jmaciscool - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 06:10 PM)cow Wrote: Legend.  It seems like just yesterday we signed him.

Agreed, really hoping they'll televise the jersey retirement

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - MrGoat - 10-16-2022

All I know is that Campazzo's nickname is going to be Facyu

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-17-2022

Hey Killer, you feeling better?  I would argue that Facu + Wright is not a bad for emergency protection from Luka/Din injury.  Plus, it looks like Powell is not part of the regular rotation.  In fact, if you take Iztok's approach and don't call Maxi a big, it looks like we will very rarely have two bigs on the court.  I'm actually leaning towards moving my offseason grade from a D to a C.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - dirkfansince1998 - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 03:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: Hey Killer, you feeling better?  I would argue that Facu + Wright is not a bad for emergency protection from Luka/Din injury.  Plus, it looks like Powell is not part of the regular rotation.  In fact, if you take Iztok's approach and don't call Maxi a big, it looks like we will very rarely have two bigs on the court.  I'm actually leaning towards moving my offseason grade from a D to a C.

One is an undrafted rookie that hopefully will never see the floor when it matters. The other finished the last season with the worst +/- numbers of all players on teams with a 0.500 or better record. Not sure how the addition of both changes the offseason grade.

I really hope we will see a different Facu in Dallas. As of now I would actually prefer less playmaking on the floor if it means that Green and Frank get the nod over Facu.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - HoosierDaddyKid - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 03:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One is an undrafted rookie that hopefully will never see the floor when it matters. The other finished the last season with the worst +/- numbers of all players on teams with a 0.500 or better record. Not sure how the addition of both changes the offseason grade.

I really hope we will see a different Facu in Dallas. And as of now I would actually prefer less playmaking on the floor if it means that Green and Frank get the nod over Facu.

Still not sold on Green, but that could change...

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - KillerLeft - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 03:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: In fact, if you take Iztok's approach and don't call Maxi a big

I'm feeling a little better about the PG situation for sure. Not as good as I would've felt if they had addressed this with a regular rotation player, but at least we know they won't have to forfeit on opening night if Luka or Dinwiddie get hurt during the first quarter.

As for the "if" above...NEVER.

(10-17-2022, 03:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One is an undrafted rookie that hopefully will never see the floor when it matters. The other finished the last season with the worst +/- numbers of all players on teams with a 0.500 or better record. Not sure how the addition of both changes the offseason grade.

I really hope we will see a different Facu in Dallas. And as of now I would actually prefer less playmaking on the floor if it means that Green and Frank get the nod over Facu.

I totally agree on your second paragraph.  I have no illusions of Facu being a contributor when we are healthy (and don't want him getting minutes over Green/Frank in general) but if one of Luka or Din are out, I would much rather have Facu running the offense for 10-15 minutes a game than watching Green or Frank flounder in that role.

Facu had a bad year last year, but two years ago he started in the playoffs and contributed, and he is only 31.  I think he will have a different role in Dallas more suited to his skills.  I don't see him ever playing off ball.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - F Gump - 10-17-2022

They did use Maxi as a C last season after KP was traded (in a DP-Maxi split).

But whether he is going to be used as a C (in a desire to get as many 3-and-D types on the floor as possible), or as a PF (in a bigger lineup), depends on roster construction, style preferences, and then game situations. If/when they wish (or need) it, he fits quite well as a 4 imo, being a big 3-and-D player, with the ability to guard the perimeter. Position flex ability is always helpful.

(10-17-2022, 03:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm feeling a little better about the PG situation for sure. Not as good as I would've felt if they had addressed this with a regular rotation player, but at least we know they won't have to forfeit on opening night if Luka or Dinwiddie get hurt during the first quarter.

As for the "if" above...NEVER.

So I think of Maxi as a big in general, but to Iztok's point do you really have an issue with Wood/Maxi vs Wood/Dorian?  Does Maxi presence on the floor in any way negatively impact our ability to play a switching defense?  His defensive mobility and offensive play style really makes him more like big 3&D wing than a traditional big from the standpoint of lineup construction.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Chicagojk - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 03:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: I totally agree on your second paragraph.  I have no illusions of Facu being a contributor when we are healthy (and don't want him getting minutes over Green/Frank in general) but if one of Luka or Din are out, I would much rather have Facu running the offense for 10-15 minutes a game than watching Green or Frank flounder in that role.

Facu had a bad year last year, but two years ago he started in the playoffs and contributed, and he is only 31.  I think he will have a different role in Dallas more suited to his skills.  I don't see him ever playing off ball.

His drop off last year is concerning.   He probably should have earned minutes for the Denver team that was depleted with injuries.   Although, he is probably a better fit here vs a healthy Denver team.   Denver already has their creators.   They need defenders and shooters around them.    Dallas is looking for someone to play when Luka sits and Dinwiddie is either hurt, getting a day off or in foul trouble.   His role is to get our shooters looks, increase the pace of the bench and hound the ball on defense.   It can be a tough role to play when your play is really sporadic.   

If I had to guess if he looks good he will not be in  our regular rotation but there will be times throughout the season where he gets a grouping of games where he gets 20 plus minutes a night.   Maybe a two week stretch where he gets this and then someone comes back and he doesn't play for two weeks.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - IamDougieFresh - 10-17-2022

Official 

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1582114544419151876?s=46&t=cnybMx54j_piRoZqIjSO5A

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Scott41theMavs - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 03:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: I totally agree on your second paragraph.  I have no illusions of Facu being a contributor when we are healthy (and don't want him getting minutes over Green/Frank in general) but if one of Luka or Din are out, I would much rather have Facu running the offense for 10-15 minutes a game than watching Green or Frank flounder in that role.

Wait... he's 31??? I thought he was in his mid-20s. 

Hopefully his struggles getting into the Nugz rotation weren't due to Father Time.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - IamDougieFresh - 10-17-2022

The Hornets are desperately in need of a leader to keep their players out of prison. We can help.

[Image: fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap-10-17-2022-7-40-11-PM.png]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - dynamicalVoid - 10-17-2022

Dont know if I can handle Haywards new hair doo.   

And for that reason...Im out.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Kammrath - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 06:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Wait... he's 31??? I thought he was in his mid-20s. 

Hopefully his struggles getting into the Nugz rotation weren't due to Father Time.

Yep, long history shows that small guards are usually toast by early 30s. Chris Paul is the exception to the rule.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - KillerLeft - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 04:04 PM)mvossman Wrote: So I think of Maxi as a big in general, but to Iztok's point do you really have an issue with Wood/Maxi vs Wood/Dorian?  Does Maxi presence on the floor in any way negatively impact our ability to play a switching defense?  His defensive mobility and offensive play style really makes him more like big 3&D wing than a traditional big from the standpoint of lineup construction.

Do I have a problem with those lineups? No. 

Do I think that because he can exist in the modern game we should call him a "wing?" No. Far, far from it. He's simply a good, playable big by today's standards. If you have multiple bigs who can play together, you do it when the situation calls for it. But, it has to be a good two-big lineup (the one you mention qualifies as long as Wood holds his end up). 

Every big they employ should be expected to do the things Kleber can do. There aren't enough of them to go around, so that's easier said than done. But if I'm running a team that's my goal - to only play bigs who are in better shape and can run the floor faster than the other team's bigs in transition and move their feet in half-court defense. I keep rotating individuals who seem potentially able to find success with that style of play in and out until I find 3-4 of them I can trust, and then I start looking for younger ones who can replace the ones I've found. 

It's the arms race right now, imho.

Kleber fits. Wood can be that type of player here if he accepts coaching and gets really, really serious about his career. For the 1,000th time, I thought Powell was a decent solution for most of those criteria.

I don't know how else to say it: I simply did not go into the off-season thinking the team HAD to get a new center to move to the next level. I'm really disappointed that one of the only splashes they made was to give a three-year guarantee (and a starting job) to a dinosaur. If they could've gotten a better player of the same type they had last season to plug in I would've been thrilled!

Also, Brunson. Re-signing him would've been nice.