MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - F Gump - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:03 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Dallas waiting on Detroit all this time to dump Kemba? Detroit waiting all this time on Dallas? The timing seems awfully suspicious to me.

It's certainly possible that Dallas, DET, and Kemba have all been playing a big game of chicken, all knowing that Kemba will end up in Dallas, but each trying to do it to their own advantage and see who blinks first ... where DET wants Dallas to trade for him (so they don't have to eat his contract) or for Kemba to take less to be waived, and neither one biting, just waiting until DET has to clear a roster space and waives him.

To me, the most mutually beneficial outcome would have been a swap of THJ for Burks-Kemba, with something in it to be gained by everyone, but I guess not.

(10-14-2022, 02:32 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Or has Frankie fallen out of favor enough to cut his NG salary for Kemba?

Franky is fully gtd

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Mavs2021 - 10-14-2022

I have a suspicion that Dorsey and Mavs basically agreed that he signs a two-way, makes some pre-season money and tries to earn the 15th spot. If it doesn´t work out, he can always sign with a top European team.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - F Gump - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Let's cut Theo or Powell and sign Kemba.

If Detroit cut Kemba after we made a verbal commitment to Facu just to make us look bad, screw them.

If we want to play conspiracy theory, technically, Campazzo is eligible to be signed into the other 2-way slot. Just saying.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - DanSchwartzgan - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:15 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let´s hope so. Also curious to see who starts tonight.

Kidd singled out Hardy as impressing in practice again. My guess is the original plan was to start Green, now it might be Hardy. Basically the theory that Luka + four guys can play every team to a standstill and then we have a 2nd unit edge with Dinwiddie/THJ/Green/Kleber/Wood.

I think once you take the possibility of Hardy with the starters off the table, the chances for meaningful minutes go down.  If you substitute Hardy for Green above, you add, unnecessarily, to the guys looking for shots in the second unit.  You also detract, unnecessarily, from the guys who defend well in the second unit.

It does kind of feel like Dallas and Detroit are playing games with Campazzo and Walker.  No guarantee the game being played is a game of chicken between those two teams.  I would prefer Walker to Campazzo by a mile.  I’d be fine with Wright on one of the two-ways.  I’d just as soon see Dorsey replaced by someone younger…not that the 16th/17th spots really matter.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Chicagojk - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:41 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think once you take the possibility of Hardy with the starters off the table, the chances for meaningful minutes go down.  If you substitute Hardy for Green above, you add, unnecessarily, to the guys looking for shots in the second unit.  You also detract, unnecessarily, from the guys who defend well in the second unit.

It does kind of feel like Dallas and Detroit are playing games with Campazzo and Walker.  No guarantee the game being played is a game of chicken between those two teams.  I would prefer Walker to Campazzo by a mile.  I’d be fine with Wright on one of the two-ways.  I’d just as soon see Dorsey replaced by someone younger…not that the 16th/17th spots really matter.

Has there been any confirmation by the team, Campazzo or Luka that he has signed?   I heard he may be traveling here, but I am not sure if that was confirmed.   Maybe they checked him in a suitcase as baggage (he is tiny) and maybe they lost him?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Jmaciscool - 10-14-2022

Well it's been about three years since the Mavs tried to get Kemba to sign as a FA, so the timing's definitely right for him to sign here based on prior history (Williams, Deron and Jordan, DeAndre)...

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Winter - 10-14-2022

To me, it feels like the Mavs were waiting on a player who never came. 

They were waiting for something that didn't materialize. They could have had Dragic, but they were expecting some other player that never showed. Now the organization realizes that Green, Hardy, and Frankie are not the playmakers they hoped. They have to fill a void to be more competitive.

It has always seemed to me that Walker's injury just may be something no one wants any part of. It's too unpredictable, and Dallas really can't afford to squander this signing. They do have a real need for at least a few minutes in every game. They're rolling the dice here, but in the big picture it's only 1-year contract for 10-12 mpg I'm guessing. None of this is a real risk in my opinion.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 06:09 PM)Winter Wrote: To me, it feels like the Mavs were waiting on a player who never came. 

They were waiting for something that didn't materialize. They could have had Dragic, but they were expecting some other player that never showed. Now the organization realizes that Green, Hardy, and Frankie are not the playmakers they hoped. They have to fill a void to be more competitive.

It has always seemed to me that Walker's injury just may be something no one wants any part of. It's too unpredictable, and Dallas really can't afford to squander this signing. They do have a real need for at least a few minutes in every game. They're rolling the dice here, but in the big picture it's only 1-year contract for 10-12 mpg I'm guessing. None of this is a real risk in my opinion.

They did offer Dragic a contract and I think it was the same offer the are potentially making to Facu.  I don't believe it has any regular minutes and I don't think their viewpoint on that role has changed since offering Dragic.  On a normal night in a competitive game they will stagger Luka and Din and their "third playmaker" will never see the floor.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - ThisIStheYear - 10-14-2022

No to Kemba.  No to Facu.  Just keep Wright.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - sterlingmallory - 10-14-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1581139880402296832?s=20&t=KOnkRDFiZ4B54A9A6_r3kg

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Winter - 10-15-2022

(10-14-2022, 09:02 PM)mvossman Wrote: They did offer Dragic a contract and I think it was the same offer the are potentially making to Facu

Correct, but let me put it another way. If the Mavs would have known then what they know now, they may have offered Dragic 10-15 mpg instead of a cheerleading role (assuming what was reported was true). 

I think Campazzo plays most nights if not every night. I suspect he plays more than say Burke did, because he's better on defense and is more of a passer. I don't think that was the plan last summer, but I think that's how it shook out.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Kammrath - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 07:11 AM)Winter Wrote: If the Mavs would have known then what they know now, they may have offered Dragic 10-15 mpg instead of a cheerleading role. 

I really don't think so. Watching last night there was almost too small of a role even for SD. I think the Mavs played the way they did last year after the TDL not because that is how they want to play, but they needed to in order to play to the strength of that roster (with Luka, JB, and SD). 

If Campazzo is signed I imagine only seeing him in case of injury.

(10-15-2022, 07:28 AM)Kammrath Wrote: If Campazzo is signed I imagine only seeing him in case of injury.

Maybe, but Trey Burke averaged 10 mpg with the Mavs in his last season. I have to believe FC beats that.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - mvossman - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 07:31 AM)Winter Wrote: Maybe, but Trey Burke averaged 10 mpg with the Mavs in his last season. I have to believe FC beats that.

Burke only played in half the games.  He had a lot of DNPs.  So his effective mpg is less than that.  I see the same future for Facu as long as Luka and Dinwiddie are healthy.

I really don't think this organization ever thought that Green or Frank (or Hardy) could run the point when Luka and Din were out.  I think the plan has always been for them to be 3&D guys with a little secondary playmaking.  Most of what we heard regarding those two was org speak because they didn't have somebody else in place yet.

(10-15-2022, 07:50 AM)mvossman Wrote: Burke only played in half the games.  He had a lot of DNPs.  So his effective mpg is less than that.  I see the same future for Facu as long as Luka and Dinwiddie are healthy.

I really don't think this organization ever thought that Green or Frank (or Hardy) could run the point when Luka and Din were out.  I think the plan has always been for them to be 3&D guys with a little secondary playmaking.  Most of what we heard regarding those two was org speak because they didn't have somebody else in place yet.

I agree with the second part. 

But Burke was playing with Brunson ahead of him. That's no longer the case with FC. There are really only three developed players on the Mavs now that have a strong history of running a team. I personally think FC would have gone back to Europe if he didn't at least expect last year's mpg with Denver or close to it. I doubt that happens the first part of the season though.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - WillE - 10-15-2022

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1581334306680893441?s=20&t=spw7rMWAlhD4OsnInv3tAA

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - chaparral - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 12:24 PM)WillE Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1581334306680893441?s=20&t=spw7rMWAlhD4OsnInv3tAA

OK, now I'm confused?  Who is Grant Riller and what did the Mavs sign him too?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Scott41theMavs - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 12:37 PM)chaparral Wrote: OK, now I'm confused?  Who is Grant Riller and what did the Mavs sign him too?

IKR. Quite the head-scratcher.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - Jmaciscool - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 12:37 PM)chaparral Wrote: OK, now I'm confused?  Who is Grant Riller and what did the Mavs sign him too?

I think if I remember correctly from past seasons this is something to do with rights to have them on the legends. I think they go through a sign and release cycle with multiple players at this time of the season for that reason while they still have the open spot.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL in advanced talks to sign Campazzo - WillE - 10-15-2022

(10-15-2022, 01:00 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I think if I remember correctly from past seasons this is something to do with rights to have them on the legends. I think they go through a sign and release cycle with multiple players at this time of the season for that reason while they still have the open spot.
https://twitter.com/MyWoodHardy/status/1581339966051082243?s=20&t=0AWQkzdqDaOpvLN5AUSMsw