MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Scott41theMavs - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 11:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, so taking assumption out of it...

Lots of folks rationalizing that they have a plan that doesn't involve the third playmaker. I guess that's possible. But, it's certainly not what worked for them last season, and it's not what they, themselves trumpeted as the plan going into this summer. 

So, it seems more likely to me that rather than abandoning the plan for one they liked better, they simply failed to execute their plan. Or, maybe it's even worse, and they're operating so over their heads they don't even have a clearly held plan. Maybe Cuban went off half-cocked with his comments and the others don't agree...maybe they can't even agree about what worked last year, despite it being so plain to see for all. 

Things might be getting worse, not better. I sure hope we don't look back at Donnie leaving with regret. That thought has actually been occurring to me lately for the first time. 

I HATE what they're doing.

Ditto all of this.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - ItsGoTime - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 11:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, so taking assumption out of it...

Lots of folks rationalizing that they have a plan that doesn't involve the third playmaker. I guess that's possible. But, it's certainly not what worked for them last season, and it's not what they, themselves trumpeted as the plan going into this summer. 

So, it seems more likely to me that rather than abandoning the plan for one they liked better, they simply failed to execute their plan. Or, maybe it's even worse, and they're operating so over their heads they don't even have a clearly held plan. Maybe Cuban went off half-cocked with his comments and the others don't agree...maybe they can't even agree about what worked last year, despite it being so plain to see for all. 

Things might be getting worse, not better. I sure hope we don't look back at Donnie leaving with regret. That thought has actually been occurring to me lately for the first time. 

I HATE what they're doing.
I’m mostly with the thought that we need more facilitating behind Luka and SD. That’s me the fan. I will say, I hate the wording used that we need 3 pgs. If that was the requirement, I’d rather just get Julius Randle for what seems cheap right now instead of just adding pg after pg to the roster. Mind you, I HATE the thought of what Randle would do to this team. 

The contenders and teams finding success are not running 2-3 high end pgs in their heavy rotation. They have ball handling facilitators that fill in other positions. This is where I want to go. I think Wood is also a possible step in that direction.

Edit: oh, ya, forgot about the point I was originally trying to make. 

If they do nothing else, I don’t believe they see the problem you see and it’s not like they saw any less of last season than any one of us.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - mvossman - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:19 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t see a Utah trade. Bogdanovic and Beasley are expiring. No way you give up a first for them. They are MLE-level next summer due to age or criminal record. Conley is also way past his best. Markkanen and Sexton maybe, but that would reflect so poorly on the Mavs again to acquire Markkanen for a 1st now, when they could have him for nothing 12 months ago.

We could not have had Lauri for nothing 12 months ago.  He was restricted and assets were paid to acquire him.  I also seriously doubt anyone pays a first for him (and it would make no sense for us to).

The only player worth a first is Clarkson, but I don't want to spend a first on someone who does not play defense.  There is some chance Bogdanovic could get a first from a contender desperate for offensive punch (that is not us).

The only player I am interested in is Conley, and that is because we might be able to get him without sending a first.  I'm skeptical that a Timmy + Green package is enticing, but maybe better than nothing if they don't get any other offers.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - KillerLeft - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 11:40 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I hate the wording used that we need 3 pgs.

Well, every team needs 3 PG's at least, just for injury insurance purposes. It's the most important position, by far. But, that's not the way people mean it in this current war (at least, not the way I mean it). 

If you could add Kawhi Leonard or LeBron or some other forward who can handle the ball, that works, too. Probably better. But, those players are RARE, and the Mavs already possess 1 1/2 of them. Both of their ball handlers are huge, tbh. In fact, in the best version of a Luka-led team, he probably IS a LeBron type forward, if we're really talking. I fully expect the team to make that adjustment as he ages and gets (even) slower.

The point is that the Mavs are actually well positioned to add a guy who literally is a PG, which is handy because that's the easiest type of playmaker to get. But hell, if you have the chance to take on another rarity who can play multiple positions, GREAT! 

Overall, the problem I see is that with the current state of the roster, the ball is going to be in Luka's hands more than it was two years ago, during Carlisle's last season, which is the area in which they've been saying they need to improve.

(09-06-2022, 11:40 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If they do nothing else, I don’t believe they see the problem you see and it’s not like they saw any less of last season than any one of us.

You might be right, but if that's the case, then they're wrong, and the next couple of years are going to suuuuuuuuck.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - KillerLeft - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 11:47 AM)mvossman Wrote: The only player I am interested in is Conley, and that is because we might be able to get him without sending a first.  I'm skeptical that a Timmy + Green package is enticing, but maybe better than nothing if they don't get any other offers.

I'm hopeful about this, too. I believe that Conley will be traded, period. Because of who he is and what he has done in the league, Utah won't make him sit around and babysit during a tanking season (unless he's ok with it, which I doubt). There's a chance that none of the teams who would want him (I'm sure there are plenty) are in a position to offer a 1st, and that Utah will have to let him go without getting one. 

If I'm working for the Mavs, I'm desperately trying to speak this into existence.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - mvossman - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 10:46 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bledsoe's calling card was defense, which he allegedly doesn't play anymore in 2022.

He is a much better option at PG than Lamb, and not the offensive disaster that Payton is, so I prolly take him regardless of the defense.  I had not heard he doesn't play defense anymore.  What is that based on?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 09-06-2022

JC has a player option right? So who pays a first for Clarkson knowing it's just going to be a rental?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Jym - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 11:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I HATE what they're doing.

Yeah if money was an issue I don't get why we didn't just use our first rounder to dump some salary
Because the most likely scenario is that Wood walks for nothing next summer after we figure out he isn't worth a big long term deal since he doesn't work as a solo big

(09-06-2022, 12:02 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: JC has a player option right? So who pays a first for Clarkson knowing it's just going to be a rental?

Probably no one, but maaaaaybe a team that's really, really close and doesn't care so much about their war chest? Like the Clippers (not now, with Wall) or the Brooklyn "on papers" for example? 

But your point is a good one. It's like the board has decided they know what the cost of these guys will be without having any info at all other than the basic and obvious truth that "Ainge likes 1sts." 

If someone would've suggested that Gobert would've gotten the return he did, most would've laughed. If someone would've suggested that Wood was gettable for the price the Mavs paid, they would've laughed. The guessing is often wrong in both directions.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - ItsGoTime - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 11:47 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, every team needs 3 PG's at least, just for injury insurance purposes. It's the most important position, by far. But, that's not the way people mean it in this current war (at least, not the way I mean it). 

If you could add Kawhi Leonard or LeBron or some other forward who can handle the ball, that works, too. Probably better. But, those players are RARE, and the Mavs already possess 1 1/2 of them. Both of their ball handlers are huge, tbh. In fact, in the best version of a Luka-led team, he probably IS a LeBron type forward, if we're really talking. I fully expect the team to make that adjustment as he ages and gets (even) slower.

The point is that the Mavs are actually well positioned to add a guy who literally is a PG, which is handy because that's the easiest type of playmaker to get. But hell, if you have the chance to take on another rarity who can play multiple positions, GREAT! 

Overall, the problem I see is that with the current state of the roster, the ball is going to be in Luka's hands more than it was two years ago, during Carlisle's last season, which is the area in which they've been saying they need to improve.

Eh, I added in the more appropriate wording later when saying “high end pgs”. So, I see the problems the team has as not having the two way, long and lanky types that have different/complementary offensive skills (I know you are with me on that). NOT the Lebron/Kawhi types, the names I gave previously (can’t remember if it’s in this thread or the other). Those guys are going for the assets we’ll have available to us next offseason (especially if Green and/or Frank take a step up and Hardy or Dorsey show NBA qualities). We then also have the salary filler to get those types in Bertans and THJ. Right now we have the assets to get the same level of players we currently have on the roster with different skillsets and you’re saying we need to add FRPs to get them. I think that’s spinning wheels and losing assets in the process personally. I could also be wrong though, but I’m not willing to let go until I see the vision on the court.

You might be right, but if that's the case, then they're wrong, and the next couple of years are going to suuuuuuuuck.
Time will tell, but I don’t think it’s as discernible right now as you’re saying.

(09-06-2022, 12:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Probably no one, but maaaaaybe a team that's really, really close and doesn't care so much about their war chest? Like the Clippers (not now, with Wall) or the Brooklyn "on papers" for example? 

But your point is a good one. It's like the board has decided they know what the cost of these guys will be without having any info at all other than the basic and obvious truth that "Ainge likes 1sts." 

If someone would've suggested that Gobert would've gotten the return he did, most would've laughed. If someone would've suggested that Wood was gettable for the price the Mavs paid, they would've laughed. The guessing is often wrong in both directions.
Might I suggest the third paragraph (on top of the Mitchell haul) is the answer to the second one?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - cow - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 09:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The problem is that they haven't added any two-way guys this summer, imo.

(09-06-2022, 09:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is always a good goal for any team trying to win. It's an oversimplification, but probably for good reason, as it's easy to forget how important this goal should be. 

The problem is that they haven't added any two-way guys this summer, imo.

They had a crappy first, shitty contracts and the tax MLE.  Not a lot to work with.  To be honest, Wood/McGee is a fairly good haul given that meager list.  This offseason would have been in the A territory if they hadn't lost Brunson and done nothing to replace him, but we still would not have added any two way players (holding onto Brunson would have made it much easier to get one next offseason).

(09-06-2022, 01:41 PM)mvossman Wrote: They had a crappy first, shitty contracts and the tax MLE.  Not a lot to work with.  To be honest, Wood/McGee is a fairly good haul given that meager list.  This offseason would have been in the A territory if they hadn't lost Brunson and done nothing to replace him, but we still would not have added any two way players (holding onto Brunson would have made it much easier to get one next offseason).
The point I made was about the direction the new FO is taking and comparing to the 2 way guys we got last year? McGee fits just fine and time will tell if Wood gets in line.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Chicagojk - 09-06-2022

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1567223787934072832?s=21&t=5q8Vv3jH9ozt8BwQPQbU8w

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - IamDougieFresh - 09-06-2022

When you try to have a positive thought and then remember that you have a GM who is allegedly popular with players as well as the best player on the planet, yet the best player we can get is McShaqtin after promising him a starting spot god help me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Hypermav - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 01:52 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1567223787934072832?s=21&t=5q8Vv3jH9ozt8BwQPQbU8w

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Chicagojk - 09-08-2022

I always feel like Josh takes an extra step or half a step than he needs when creating off the dribble.   It sort of slows him down a tick.    Maybe it is just my mind playing tricks on me.    

Regardless, I would love to see this aggressiveness finishing at the rim in a game.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiLaOeMgn50/

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Jym - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 07:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I always feel like Josh takes an extra step or half a step than he needs when creating off the dribble.   It sort of slows him down a tick.    Maybe it is just my mind playing tricks on me.    

Regardless, I would love to see this aggressiveness finishing at the rim in a game.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiLaOeMgn50/

Hopefully this isn't the wrong era for him and he can get consistent with his shot. If this was 2002 we'd be looking at him like a high level rotation player going into this year

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Kammrath - 09-08-2022

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1567877788467699714