MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - cow - 09-06-2022

(09-05-2022, 10:16 PM)F Gump Wrote: Nah, it's not over-correction. It's Cuban finding himself in a new financial reality that he can't handle.

He will pay enough to fund a so-so team. That means spending at the cap, and sometimes a bit more. In that world, mistakes don't matter because the overall spending is easy to justify. But good teams cost way more, and at that level with tax issues, even small mistakes get expensive.

I find it interesting Cuban doesn't demand of himself the same attention to basics he expects from the companies on Shark Tank. If you don't know your business, the uncertainty of how to make it work gets scary. But he has always tried to shortcut the basics with the Mavs, and his continuing refusal to hire an expert at evaluating and negotiating and developing now has him too timid to spend more money, because he can't trust the decision-making on who to sign.

Cuban's as much of a blowhard as the other billionaires he loathes.  

I'll continue to say that 2011 is the best and worst thing to ever happen to the franchise.  Dirk and company go their well deserved ring but it also reinforced to Cuban that he was the smartest guy in the room and that he can succeed doing things his way.  It's Jerry Jones syndrome minus the charisma and salesmanship.  

And if it is true that he's going to be cheap with the team's payroll, we might as well stop worrying about Luka leaving because that is almost assuredly going to happen sooner rather than later.  And that too might be the best and worst thing to happen to the franchise as it would be the best chance of Cuban being bored of his toy or taking a long, hard look in the mirror and getting out of the way of basketball operations.  

And speaking of Sterling and Shark Tank, it's too bad the league didn't come down on the Mavericks/Cuban harder during all the sexual harassment fallout.   How he got to skate by pleading ignorance of that side of the house the league turning a blind eye that's almost as shameful as Mark's.

(09-05-2022, 11:14 PM)Jym Wrote: I do find it interesting how freaked out people are with the PG rotation when Dinwiddie is better than the 2021-22 Brunson we were expecting going into the last season. Brunson just totally blew expectations out of the water 
Sure I'd like Conley. That's probably the best bet we have at recreating some of that guard magic from last year without giving up a ton.

I'm most curious how we'll end up using the bigs and how Wood & Maxi are going to end up meshing. I think it's going to be huge for them to play well together and for us to play plenty of big lineups with one PG

I just worry about giving Dinwiddie that much of a workload and expecting his health to hold up.  We also saw how great it was to have a three headed, ballhandling monster and have seemingly walked away from that.  

Wood's super exciting to me though.  I always dreamed of pairing Luka with an Amar'e type player.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - F Gump - 09-06-2022

(09-05-2022, 11:14 PM)Jym Wrote: I do find it interesting how freaked out people are with the PG rotation when Dinwiddie is better than the 2021-22 Brunson we were expecting going into the last season. Brunson just totally blew expectations out of the water  

The issue is not Luka-JB vs Luka-SD. If you think it is, that's why you (and others) don't get it. It's about missing a realistic backup for TWO positions.

When the season began a year ago,
PG Luka, JB, Burke, Franky

When last season ended, it was
PG1 - Luka, SD, Burke/Green/Franky
PG2 - JB, SD, Burke/Green/Franky

When this season begins, it will be
PG1 - Luka, ?, ?
PG2 - SD, ?, ?

SD will be replacing JB, obviously. But who will fill the minutes that SD filled last year, backing up BOTH PG1 and PG2? It's a big need, and they don't seem to have a plan to fill it. That should be alarming, because it isn't workable to go through a season without such a key backup.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Jym - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 02:29 AM)F Gump Wrote: The issue is not Luka-JB vs Luka-SD. If you think it is, that's why you (and others) don't get it. It's about missing a realistic backup for TWO positions.

When the season began a year ago,
PG Luka, JB, Burke, Franky

When last season ended, it was
PG1 - Luka, SD, Burke/Green/Franky
PG2 - JB, SD, Burke/Green/Franky

When this season begins, it will be
PG1 - Luka, ?, ?
PG2 - SD, ?, ?

SD will be replacing JB, obviously. But who will fill the minutes that SD filled last year, backing up BOTH PG1 and PG2? It's a big need, and they don't seem to have a plan to fill it. That should be alarming, because it isn't workable to go through a season without such a key backup.

Yeah no matter what they're saying I feel like it does make more sense rotationwise to have Spencer playing starter minutes but come off the bench so it's easier to stagger. End the game with both PGs but overall play them a lot less together.
And overall your post feels so dramatic since Green and Franky are still on the team. Did you have that much trust in Burke?
Were you begging for an extra PG at this point last year? I don't remember too many people that had it as at a major need.

I just really hope they don't go for the same idea of 2 PGs on the court at all times but with much lesser and more ineffective players unless we pull off a trade. We are going to have to find something different to fit the personnel with all these bigs. Some of them are going to play together

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - KillerLeft - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 07:44 AM)Jym Wrote: I feel like it does make more sense rotationwise to have Spencer playing starter minutes but come off the bench so it's easier to stagger.

I completely agree with this, for a variety of reasons. To me, Dinwiddie in the role of 6th man was something that really, really worked for this team last season. I'm almost as upset at the loss of this, conceptually, as I am with Brunson leaving for nothing. 

If you tell me this is the roster to start the season, I'm telling you I start Hardaway without thinking twice. It makes so much more sense, imo.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Mapka - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 07:44 AM)Jym Wrote: Yeah no matter what they're saying I feel like it does make more sense rotationwise to have Spencer playing starter minutes but come off the bench so it's easier to stagger. End the game with both PGs but overall play them a lot less together.
And overall your post feels so dramatic since Green and Franky are still on the team. Did you have that much trust in Burke?
Were you begging for an extra PG at this point last year? I don't remember too many people that had it as at a major need.

I just really hope they don't go for the same idea of 2 PGs on the court at all times but with much lesser and more ineffective players unless we pull off a trade. We are going to have to find something different to fit the personnel with all these bigs. Some of them are going to play together

I was calling for another real playmaker/scorer since JJB ended his Mavs-carrier.

I was so happy, when they got Spence.

Yeah Sad

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Chicagojk - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 07:44 AM)Jym Wrote: I just really hope they don't go for the same idea of 2 PGs on the court at all times but with much lesser and more ineffective players unless we pull off a trade. We are going to have to find something different to fit the personnel with all these bigs. Some of them are going to play together

This is a good point.    The Mavs are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard spot.  They have a lot of quality players on the roster who deserve minutes while also having a major hole as the third ball handler.   Is it better to sign a veteran who expects 20 plus minutes a night that might cause other issues with the rotation and/or limit young player development?  Or look for a guy to have in case of rest issues or injuries to jump in when needed that allows us to play Hardaway 30 minutes a night while also evaluating the growth of Green and Frankie?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Mavs2021 - 09-06-2022

I don´t see a Utah trade. Bogdanovic and Beasley are expiring. No way you give up a first for them. They are MLE-level next summer due to age or criminal record. Conley is also way past his best. Markkanen and Sexton maybe, but that would reflect so poorly on the Mavs again to acquire Markkanen for a 1st now, when they could have him for nothing 12 months ago.

I wasn´t aware of the brilliant seasons Musa and Vezenkov had overseas, but that could have been two realistic targets.

At this point it feels that everybody left on the market according to spotrac (Bledsoe, Schroeder, Lamb, E. Payton) will have to settle for the minimum. Now it becomes a matter of selling it to the players. On paper we have a good team AND plenty of opportunity.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - ItsGoTime - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is a good point.    The Mavs are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard spot.  They have a lot of quality players on the roster who deserve minutes while also having a major hole as the third ball handler.   Is it better to sign a veteran who expects 20 plus minutes a night that might cause other issues with the rotation and/or limit young player development?  Or look for a guy to have in case of rest issues or injuries to jump in when needed that allows us to play Hardaway 30 minutes a night while also evaluating the growth of Green and Frankie?
I don’t see it as them thinking they’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. I see it as a work in progress. This team is built for Donnie and RC, not Nico and Kidd. It was always going to take time to get to the end goal with possible trial and error factored in. Especially given what they came in to work with.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Jym - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is a good point.    The Mavs are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard spot.  They have a lot of quality players on the roster who deserve minutes while also having a major hole as the third ball handler.   Is it better to sign a veteran who expects 20 plus minutes a night that might cause other issues with the rotation and/or limit young player development?  Or look for a guy to have in case of rest issues or injuries to jump in when needed that allows us to play Hardaway 30 minutes a night while also evaluating the growth of Green and Frankie?

I feel like a lot of depends on Wood. How much will he be handling the ball and creating for himself. Certainly not creating looks for other people but we do desperately need that 3rd guy who can at least create looks for himself without Luka and Dinwiddie setting them up.
If he can be that guy, then I think we're fine in that sense. 
If that part works then we just need a veteran PG who's willing to be buried on the bench the majority of the time but still competent enough to start here and there.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Chicagojk - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:28 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t see it as them thinking they’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. I see it as a work in progress. This team is built for Donnie and RC, not Nico and Kidd. It was always going to take time to get to the end goal with possible trial and error factored in. Especially given what they came in to work with.

I meant relating to the last spot on the roster.  Bring in a veteran who will need minutes means the developmental minutes of Green and Frankie probably vanish.   Hardaway's minutes could get squeezed and it could also mean Bertans is a 17 million paper weight.    Vs getting the minutes for all of the above but being in a really tough spot with foul trouble, rest days or injuries to either Luka and Din.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - KillerLeft - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:41 AM)Jym Wrote: If that part works then we just need a veteran PG who's willing to be buried on the bench the majority of the time but still competent enough to start here and there.

Your thinking might go a long way towards explaining why they were only lukewarm on Dragic after losing Brunson. I'm just not sure that plan has much of a chance to be successful. We'll see.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - mvossman - 09-06-2022

Sure I'd like Conley. That's probably the best bet we have at recreating some of that guard magic from last year without giving up a ton.

I'm most curious how we'll end up using the bigs and how Wood & Maxi are going to end up meshing. I think it's going to be huge for them to play well together and for us to play plenty of big lineups with one PG

I totally agree on the Dinwiddie vs Brunson part.  Last offseason the general consensus was that Brunson was an undersized shooting guard (he never had more than 3.5 assets per game at that point) who was a good bench player that struggles with good defenses, especially in the playoffs.  Going into this season I have more confidence that Dinwiddie can play with Luka and run the second unit than I did regarding Brunson last season (before his big leap).

However, It should be pointed out that there was a lot of consternation last offseason regarding 3rd playmaker.  Cuban stated their biggest need was a playmaker with size (which screamed DeRozan or Dinwiddie) and they failed to get anything.  When Luka or Brunson missed time before the TDL, this offense was a shit show without one of them on the court.  It makes it more frustrating because this mistake has already been made once.  Why are they repeating it again?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - ItsGoTime - 09-06-2022

I see the goal as to find more two way players. Reggie Bullock and Sterling Brown were their first two gets. McGee and Wood were their two targets this offseason. Wood has been told he needs to prove to us whatever they talked to him about to prove (I’ve been assuming this is willingness to work hard, esp on the defensive side, and keeping the attitude in check, but that could be wrong). All the others were supposed to contribute to both sides of the ball.

(09-06-2022, 08:57 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I see the goal as to find more two way players.

I think this is always a good goal for any team trying to win. It's an oversimplification, but probably for good reason, as it's easy to forget how important this goal should be. 

The problem is that they haven't added any two-way guys this summer, imo.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Scott41theMavs - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:19 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t see a Utah trade. Bogdanovic and Beasley are expiring. No way you give up a first for them. They are MLE-level next summer due to age or criminal record. Conley is also way past his best. Markkanen and Sexton maybe, but that would reflect so poorly on the Mavs again to acquire Markkanen for a 1st now, when they could have him for nothing 12 months ago.

I wasn´t aware of the brilliant seasons Musa and Vezenkov had overseas, but that could have been two realistic targets.

At this point it feels that everybody left on the market according to spotrac (Bledsoe, Schroeder, Lamb, E. Payton) will have to settle for the minimum. Now it becomes a matter of selling it to the players. On paper we have a good team AND plenty of opportunity.

Lamb and Elfrid Payton are still available? Am I crazy to far prefer them to Schroeder or the no-longer-plays-defense Bledsoe?

(09-06-2022, 09:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is always a good goal for any team trying to win. It's an oversimplification, but probably for good reason, as it's easy to forget how important this goal should be. 

The problem is that they haven't added any two-way guys this summer, imo.
You may think that, I don’t think they think that. McGee is an offense necessity with how much we work in a pnr set and his defensive contribution is plainly explained by the FO themselves. I explained what I think their thinking is with Wood. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility (and that wording isn’t even right to me, but the words escape me right now) that he works it out to a favorable outcome.

So, they got 1 two way player and the hope for another which we really gave up zero assets assuming they would have taken Hardy with their first anyway.

(09-06-2022, 08:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Your thinking might go a long way towards explaining why they were only lukewarm on Dragic after losing Brunson. I'm just not sure that plan has much of a chance to be successful. We'll see.
Can you define “successful”?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - mvossman - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 09:11 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Lamb and Elfrid Payton are still available? Am I crazy to far prefer them to Schroeder or the no-longer-plays-defense Bledsoe?

Man, they both were really bad last year.  Payton can pass, but he had a 40% TS.  That is unbelievably bad.  Lamb was bad too, and I'm not sure he would be any better running an offense than Frank would.  I would have to go with Bledsoe over that group.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - Scott41theMavs - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 10:34 AM)mvossman Wrote: Man, they both were really bad last year.  Payton can pass, but he had a 40% TS.  That is unbelievably bad.  Lamb was bad too, and I'm not sure he would be any better running an offense than Frank would.  I would have to go with Bledsoe over that group.

Bledsoe's calling card was defense, which he allegedly doesn't play anymore in 2022.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? - F Gump - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 08:52 AM)mvossman Wrote: However, It should be pointed out that there was a lot of consternation last offseason regarding 3rd playmaker.  Cuban stated their biggest need was a playmaker with size (which screamed DeRozan or Dinwiddie) and they failed to get anything.  When Luka or Brunson missed time before the TDL, this offense was a shit show without one of them on the court.  It makes it more frustrating because this mistake has already been made once.  Why are they repeating it again?

This.

Also, "When Luka or Brunson missed time before the TDL, this offense was a shit show without one of them on the court" -- it wasn't just a problem when one of them missed games, but also that Luka-Mavs became much better playing TWO playmakers on the court together, ie when it was Luka/Brunson together and not just Luka creating offense.

This didn't become an issue until Brunson was promoted to a starting position alongside Luka about 1/3 of the way through the season. Before then, he was backing up Luka and then at times they would play together to give JB more minutes. They discovered that the overlap part where they played together was much better. Once they paired them to starting together, it clicked, but it also created a gaping hole when either Luka or JB were resting or missed a game, when there were huge chunks of the game that it was only 1 PG. They tried to fill that hole with the very same sort of plan they have now - give those minutes to some sort of mix and match hodge-podge of iffy-to-mediocre playmakers - and it was finally solved when they got SD.

Having figured out what they NEED, it's a weird fail that they set their lineup accordingly featuring 2 playmakers as starters, yet fail to fill the position of 3rd playmaker (backup to both PG1 and PG2) that will be a significant part of their rotation needs.

(09-06-2022, 10:58 AM)F Gump Wrote: Having figured out what they NEED, it's a weird fail that they set their lineup accordingly featuring 2 playmakers as starters, yet fail to fill the position of 3rd playmaker (backup to both PG1 and PG2) that will be a significant part of their rotation needs.

Yeah, so taking assumption out of it...

Lots of folks rationalizing that they have a plan that doesn't involve the third playmaker. I guess that's possible. But, it's certainly not what worked for them last season, and it's not what they, themselves trumpeted as the plan going into this summer. 

So, it seems more likely to me that rather than abandoning the plan for one they liked better, they simply failed to execute their plan. Or, maybe it's even worse, and they're operating so over their heads they don't even have a clearly held plan. Maybe Cuban went off half-cocked with his comments and the others don't agree...maybe they can't even agree about what worked last year, despite it being so plain to see for all. 

Things might be getting worse, not better. I sure hope we don't look back at Donnie leaving with regret. That thought has actually been occurring to me lately for the first time. 

I HATE what they're doing.