MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - KillerLeft - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Shot 40% on catch and shoot threes in the GLeague despite shooting terrible and getting off to an abominable start.

Right, I get it. 

But, the standard for an off-guard is different than it is for a defender like DFS (who can literally just stand in the corner). I have no doubt he'll make shots. I think the challenge for him will be to develop into a guy who can actually get into position to get the ball when open. Terry, Hardaway, Duncan Robinson, Redick, Dell Curry, etc. The list goes on and on. 

I'm not saying he can or can't, and I agree that he can hit the shots. I'm just saying that I've already SEEN how lethal he is with the ball. He's a scorer, for sure (as you said). That's what they like about him, I bet. To your point, he's probably going to have to develop some type of off-ball game to get on the court (if he doesn't have one already).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Kammrath - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: he's probably going to have to develop some type of off-ball game to get on the court (if he doesn't have one already).

I am suggesting that in the film I have seen he already has the skills to be a "movement shooter." Of course he needs to refine those, but he already has demonstrated that at the GLeague level.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - KillerLeft - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am suggesting that in the film I have seen he already has the skills to be a "movement shooter." Of course he needs to refine those, but he already has demonstrated that at the GLeague level.

Ok, NOW you are (40% off the catch does not come close to making that case), which is great. I believe you, I just haven't seen it for myself. My post wasn't in any way meant to argue with you or refute anything you said. I picked a random quote of yours off of which to build my response to @"F Gump".

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - dirkfansince1998 - 06-30-2022

Mavs looked at the average age of their roster and saw that it was only slightly above league average. Panic spread among the newly formed management. Mavs couldn´t risk losing their reputation as one of the greatest retirement homes in the league. They needed to act...as quickly as possible.

As a direct response they traded this years first round pick. Followed by a move that would set up future drafts. Swallowing the pill and moving back into the draft allowed them to get rid of two future 2nd round picks.

Next step. Free agency. To counter the addition of a rookie and a player in his mid 20s they made the only logical decision. Brunson looked like he belonged on a geriatric team but he after checking the paper work they realized that he was only 25 years old. He needed to go.

And now the key part. With Marjanovic and Burke the team had lost valuable age. Any new signing would have to be at least older than both to compensate for the new rookie. Mavs showed some interest in PJ Tucker but realized that a 38 year old vet was out of their price range. They needed to be smart.
So they entered the bidding war for McGee and managed to outplay their opponents. Teams like the Bucks couldn´t match the Mavs offer and refused to pay premium money for a big that wouldn´t turn 35 before the season begins. Mavs once again played the long game and secured a multi year deal. Making sure to sign him through his geriatric peak.

But that wasn´t even the best move. The Mavs risked a lot when they decided to add a young player like Luka Doncic. But after years of chasing they finally are in prime position to add Goran Dragic.

Now only one task remains. Getting rid of Doncic without adding future draft picks or players on rookie contracts.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - IamDougieFresh - 07-01-2022

I must say I do like Dan’s Thybulle + Tobias for THJ idea from the JaShaqtin thread. 

Luka - Dragic
Bullock - Dinwiddie 
DFS - Thybulle
Tobias - Maxi
Wood - JaVale

Seems like a pretty formidable playoff rotation.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

When I look at this roster and compare it to other teams I have a hard time finding a team with less assets. Of course the Mavs have the biggest fish in the tank...Luka...but they obviously don´t want to trade him. Next best is probably DFS. Or Wood. Probably late 1st round pick value.

I really don´t know where future assets are supposed to come from. The way it looks the Mavs will use free agency to bring back their cheerleader and add two guys that could be on their last contract.
Mavs need a miracle. And the way it looks like the only development options are Hardy, Frank and Green.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - cow - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: When I look at this roster and compare it to other teams I have a hard time finding a team with less assets. Of course the Mavs have the biggest fish in the tank...Luka...but they obviously don´t want to trade him. Next best is probably DFS. Or Wood. Probably late 1st round pick value.

I really don´t know where future assets are supposed to come from. The way it looks Mavs will use free agency to bring back their cheerleader and add two guys that could be on their last contract.
Mavs need a miracle. And the way it looks like the only development options are Hardy, Frank and Green.

The Porzingis trade really fucked us and will haunt us for another three years.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:40 AM)cow Wrote: The Porzingis trade really fucked us and will haunt us for another three years.

For sure but that is only a small part of the problem. Luka is entering his 5th season. Since the 2018 draft the Mavs haven´t developed a single useful rotation player. And they just  lost the other core piece from 2018 (Brunson).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - cow - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:03 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For sure but that is only a small part of the problem. Luka is entering his 5th season. Since the 2018 draft the Mavs haven´t developed a single useful rotation player. And they just  lost the other core piece from 2018 (Brunson).

Yeah.  It's mind boggling they were both on their rookie deals (Jalen for peanuts) and we couldn't put better talent around them.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - radix - 07-01-2022

It sucks to lose Brunson, but I do not think Brunson was pivotal to the Mavs building a championship team. Brunson was great in the playoffs when Luka was hurt, and he would have been a good back up point guard, but he IS worth more to a team like NY that needs someone to facilitate the offense. I will be SHOCKED if Brunson is ever once an all-star. Having said that, Brunson was a net positive for the Mavs. At 125/5 he would have been a very expensive net positive, but he would have potentially been trade material for a better fit. Of course, we couldn't trade him last year, so at 125/5 it might have been really tough to trade him next year.

Meanwhile I am VERY excited about Wood. Yes, he might be a bust. But he might be feasting with the best stats of his career with Luka. I suspect he will be somewhere in the middle, but contributing at least around as much as he did in Houston, which would arguably make up for any Brunson loss.

Javale will be a net positive, even if it's off the bench with the 2nd unit. He will only start if he earns it and I dont expect him to play more than 15 minutes a game. But he provides skills the Mavs don't have.

So far I am not sure the team has improved, but I do not put the Brunson failure on Nico. Brunson was held back by the previous regime and despite what his dad says, I am not convinced Brunson would have taken the extension early last year. Maybe, but its speculation at this point. 

I do expect the Mavs to be better next year. We get Hardaway back and the team has a chance to grow together. I also expect Nico to continue to churn the roster and look for ways to improve it during this and next years trade season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Mapka - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:30 AM)radix Wrote: It sucks to lose Brunson, but I do not think Brunson was pivotal to the Mavs building a championship team. Brunson was great in the playoffs when Luka was hurt, and he would have been a good back up point guard, but he IS worth more to a team like NY that needs someone to facilitate the offense. I will be SHOCKED if Brunson is ever once an all-star. Having said that, Brunson was a net positive for the Mavs. At 125/5 he would have been a very expensive net positive, but he would have potentially been trade material for a better fit. Of course, we couldn't trade him last year, so at 125/5 it might have been really tough to trade him next year.

Meanwhile I am VERY excited about Wood. Yes, he might be a bust. But he might be feasting with the best stats of his career with Luka. I suspect he will be somewhere in the middle, but contributing at least around as much as he did in Houston, which would arguably make up for any Brunson loss.

Javale will be a net positive, even if it's off the bench with the 2nd unit. He will only start if he earns it and I dont expect him to play more than 15 minutes a game. But he provides skills the Mavs don't have.

So far I am not sure the team has improved, but I do not put the Brunson failure on Nico. Brunson was held back by the previous regime and despite what his dad says, I am not convinced Brunson would have taken the extension early last year. Maybe, but its speculation at this point. 

I do expect the Mavs to be better next year. We get Hardaway back and the team has a chance to grow together. I also expect Nico to continue to churn the roster and look for ways to improve it during this and next years trade season.

Better than the WCF?

At the moment I have a very hard time seeing that. We got worse and other might get healthy.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Mavsfan12 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:37 AM)Mapka Wrote: Better than the WCF?

At the moment I have a very hard time seeing that. We got worse and other might get healthy.

Luka saves all butts.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Mapka - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:42 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Luka saves all butts.

Even he can't alone.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Winter - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:37 AM)Mapka Wrote: Better than the WCF?

Absolutely.

Just look at the minutes played the last few seasons. WCS may have had more talent coming out of college, but that's it. He apparently is not that invested in basketball. While he was DNP, McGee was plating several minutes a night in playoff games. WCS is nothing more than potential unrealized.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Halfnir - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:02 AM)Winter Wrote: Absolutely.

Just look at the minutes played the last few seasons. WCS may have had more talent coming out of college, but that's it. He apparently is not that invested in basketball. While he was DNP, McGee was plating several minutes a night in playoff games. WCS is nothing more than potential unrealized.

read again. WCS <> WCF (Western Conference Finals)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Winter - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:25 AM)Halfnir Wrote: read again. WCS <> WCF (Western Conference Finals)

Well, color me stupid... although I don't understand what you were saying in that case.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

Most of the guys I was hoping for the Tax MLE went higher than I expected.   So maybe options were limited.

As of now, I am continued to be disappointed in our front office and don't want to hold out hope they figure things out.  Prove it.

If the rest of the moves is Goran and a bench rotational wing, then I don't think that is good enough.   Goran may be good.  But at his age, I have trouble thinking he can get close to the late season playoff run Jalen had.  McGee is probably and upgrade to Powell, but does it matter much with the roster as is?   What do we get for Powell and is it better than his expiring contract?  

Mavs are back in the stage of looking for an all star.   I am so sick of waiting for this and always coming up short.  I was hopeful we would have a group of guys who played well together and fit well.  Then we could bode time for that last final piece.  I feel like we have taken a step back and are now dependent on that big move....you know the one we are always disappointed missing out on.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Halfnir - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:30 AM)Winter Wrote: Well, color me stupid... although I don't understand what you were saying in that case.

Wasn't me you were replying to, but let's break it down:

Winter: "I do expect the Mavs to be better next year". 
Mapka: "Better than the WCF?" 

I assume you were talking about team quality and Mapka about season results which might not always correlate. 

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - SwisherPrice - 07-01-2022

Not much they can do in free agency...Dragic is the only move left. The cupboard is bare for wings, they will have to work on finding a trade later. 

Luka/(Dragic?)
THJ/Dinwiddie/Ntilikina? (TBD by July 4)/Hardy
Bullock/Green/Pinson?
DFS/Bertans
Wood/McGee/Kleber/Powell

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

What about Bojan Bogdanovic?  Any chance we could get him?  19 million next year.   Not sure we would have the assets, but I have always thought he was underrated.