MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-13-2022

Further, I think the simplest explanation isn't Ben Simmons.

I'd be looking at Mike Conley+some wing UTA has. Conley isn't a great asset. He's owed 22 mil this year and the next. 

In terms of playoff wings that are disposable, UTA has Rudy Gay, Bogdanovic, Clarkson, and Vanderbilt (though he can't be aggregated in a trade for a while).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 12:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: OG Anunoby

That would be a dream. 

I would give a LOT to pair him with Luka.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 12:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Further, I think the simplest explanation isn't Ben Simmons.

I'd be looking at Mike Conley+some wing UTA has. Conley isn't a great asset. He's owed 22 mil this year and the next. 

In terms of playoff wings that are disposable, UTA has Rudy Gay, Bogdanovic, Clarkson, and Vanderbilt (though he can't be aggregated in a trade for a while).

Yeah, I think Conley could be an option.   He is partially guaranteed on his last year of his contract, but if Utah blows up, I am sure they would prefer getting off of him.  I just don't know how it all works out.  Dallas would probably need to get involved in a bigger trade.

Vanderbilt would be excellent as a throw in, I think.  But he probably has more value than Conley.    Rudy Gay...he is more of a PF type and not sure he can still defend.   But he could possibly be a very cheap throw in if there was any interest.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 12:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Further, I think the simplest explanation isn't Ben Simmons.

I don't think Simmons is THE simplest explanation, but I think he is AN explanation of the mystery. 

I do not think Conley is an answer at all, because he is NOT a wing and the Mavs clearly have that as the priority. Why pay Conley $22M instead of Dragic the minimum? That makes zero sense.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-13-2022

Ainge holds grudges. You know he wants Powell back so he can say he won the Rondo trade.  Mark and Ainge may be in a staring contest to see who blinks first.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 12:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I don't think Simmons is THE simplest explanation, but I think he is AN explanation of the mystery. 

I do not think Conley is an answer at all, because he is NOT a wing and the Mavs clearly have that as the priority. Why pay Conley $22M instead of Dragic the minimum? That makes zero sense.

They did want to pay Dragic the minimum. It was Dragic that turned them down. Why? Because they just didn't have the role Dragic wanted. This hints that the Mavs have a trade in the works for a backup PG that will take those minutes we assumed Dragic could fill on the minimum.

Conley checks all the boxes we're looking for in a PG. He's older, probably willing to come off the bench to preserve his health, and can fill in for either Luka/Dinwiddie in case they get injured through the season. He also can play off ball well, and hit the 3 at an above average rate. 

UTA also has plenty of wings that are easy throw ins if they are blowing it up. I mentioned 3 that I think are realistic and 1 pie in the sky that can't be aggregated.

(07-13-2022, 01:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: They did want to pay Dragic the minimum. It was Dragic that turned them down. Why? Because they just didn't have the role Dragic wanted. This hints that the Mavs have a trade in the works for a backup PG that will take those minutes we assumed Dragic could fill on the minimum.

Conley checks all the boxes we're looking for in a PG. He's older, probably willing to come off the bench to preserve his health, and can fill in for either Luka/Dinwiddie in case they get injured through the season. He also can play off ball well, and hit the 3 at an above average rate. 

UTA also has plenty of wings that are easy throw ins if they are blowing it up. I mentioned 3 that I think are realistic and 1 pie in the sky that can't be aggregated so it's a moot point.

But Stein made it very clear that the Mavs would NOT be pursuing guards in the wake of JB leaving (except for Dragic on a tiny role), that is NOT a priority for their roster build. Hence the wing that can also create/play PG is what makes the most sense of what we have been told. And Stein has been NAILS with the Mavs recently, every single thing he has said has been spot on. 

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1542618553798606849

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - omahen - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 12:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'd be looking at Mike Conley+some wing UTA has. Conley isn't a great asset. He's owed 22 mil this year and the next. 

I think this is a good idea. Not really thrilled by Utah wings and I don't think they would be trading Vanderbilt. A rebuilding team would also want assets to move any player. They have no other incentive as they will not be competing anyway. I am not sure I want to pay a FRP for Conley and Mavs have only 1 SRP left, if my count is right. I doubt Green is a great asset.

Lets assume FRP are of the table and Mavs are looking to trade THJ and Powell for a wing and PG. This means we are looking for teams that don't tank, need shooting and have not so great contract wings and PG. THJ and Powell would bring more bench guys than starter materials. I don't really see a lot of things that make sense.

One team that comes to mind is NO. THJ for Graham and Temple. They have a gazillion young point guards (Lewis, Daniels, Alvarado) behind CJ. They are the team that most desperately needs shooting and have been rumored to want THJ in FA. Graham is a point guard and Temple is a solid vet wing. 

Orlando. Fultz and Isaac are sort of redundant behind young and better (more available in case of Isaac). They have Anthony and Hampton at PG and Paolo plus Okeke at PF. Not really a fan of any of them.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Tyler - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 09:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This is why I keep coming back to Ben Simmons
  • Skin Wade said their pursuit might be "muddied" by the KD trade request. Ben fits that. 

• The Mavs say they want a playoff rotation wing. Ben fits that.

• Fans seem to think there is an obvious hole of depth at the PG position. Ben fits that. 

Same here. Simmons is the obvious fit for Dallas that solves their two open needs simultaneously.

Reading the tea leaves of who has been seen in Vegas and who has not (although Powell gets a pass for playing for the Canadian national team), I could see the core of the deal being something like THJ/Maxi/Powell for Simmons. Maybe you add a future pick or take some other smaller contracts back.

Brooklyn is notably lacking size and both Maxi and Powell would help there while also being easily movable expirings for future deals and/or cap flexibility. THJ would be the direct Simmons positional replacement with more shooting. And all three would also be much-needed good lockerroom guys.

For Dallas, this looks pretty damn competitive as your core playoff 8:

Ballhandlers: Luka/Dinwiddie (Simmons is also an additional ballhandler in any lineup)

Wings: Simmons/DFS/Bullock/Green (crazy good defensive flexibility)

Bigs: Wood/McGee

Pipe dream? Sure. But I do think it makes tons of sense in terms of roster construction.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - JamesConway912 - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But Stein made it very clear that the Mavs would NOT be pursuing guards in the wake of JB leaving (except for Dragic on a tiny role), that is NOT a priority for their roster build. Hence the wing that can also create/play PG is what makes the most sense of what we have been told. And Stein has been NAILS with the Mavs recently, every single thing he has said has been spot on. 

Whatever happened to the „wing depth“ part of that tweet?

Looks like they’re already in vacation mode.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Scott41theMavs - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:30 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Whatever happened to the „wing depth“ part of that tweet?

Looks like they’re already in vacation mode.

From "Donnie's Answering Machine" to "Nico's Voice Mail."

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But Stein made it very clear that the Mavs would NOT be pursuing guards in the wake of JB leaving (except for Dragic on a tiny role), that is NOT a priority for their roster build. Hence the wing that can also create/play PG is what makes the most sense of what we have been told. And Stein has been NAILS with the Mavs recently, every single thing he has said has been spot on. 

Reading the tee leaves it looks to me like we are not going to make another move, play some combination of McGee/Powell over half the game, play Hardy way more minutes than he is ready for, and take a significant step back.  But I will sit back wait for an awesome move that will make me ok with Brunson walking and the FO telling Dragic they have no minutes for him.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:18 PM)Tyler Wrote: Same here. Simmons is the obvious fit for Dallas that solves their two open needs simultaneously.

Reading the tea leaves of who has been seen in Vegas and who has not (although Powell gets a pass for playing for the Canadian national team), I could see the core of the deal being something like THJ/Maxi/Powell for Simmons. Maybe you add a future pick or take some other smaller contracts back.

Brooklyn is notably lacking size and both Maxi and Powell would help there while also being easily movable expirings for future deals and/or cap flexibility. THJ would be the direct Simmons positional replacement with more shooting. And all three would also be much-needed good lockerroom guys.

For Dallas, this looks pretty damn competitive as your core playoff 8:

Ballhandlers: Luka/Dinwiddie (Simmons is also an additional ballhandler in any lineup)

Wings: Simmons/DFS/Bullock/Green (crazy good defensive flexibility)

Bigs: Wood/McGee

Pipe dream? Sure. But I do think it makes tons of sense in terms of roster construction.

That looks more like a core 6, and that is assuming Simmons shows up.  That team has no rim protection other than 15 minutes of McGee and I don't know how Simmons and Luka play together?  I guess Luka would have to bone up on his off ball game (not a strong suit in his NBA game) because Simmons is useless without the ball.

If we send out even one first, it will kill our ability to make a big trade for years and if Simmons decides he doesn't want to play basketball anymore then we are even more screwed than we were with KP.  This would be an all-in move and that team does not look like a contender to me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:18 PM)Tyler Wrote: Same here. Simmons is the obvious fit for Dallas that solves their two open needs simultaneously.

Only have time for a quick drive by...

There was a strange rumor about interest in Cameron Thomas to add to the tea leaves.

Powell/THJ for Simmons/Thomas is a trade match.  I have no real idea how to value Simmons in terms of picks needed to complete a deal like that.  I suspect some of our pieces might end up in LAL as part of an Irving deal.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: and 1 pie in the sky that can't be aggregated.

Just fyi, "can't be aggregated" is not the same as "can't be included in a trade with other players." It's just a limit on how his salary-match can be used by UT. If he's included in a trade with others, his salary has to be used by itself to match any player or players (or to match none at all) that are being traded to UT in that deal.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 01:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But Stein made it very clear that the Mavs would NOT be pursuing guards in the wake of JB leaving (except for Dragic on a tiny role), that is NOT a priority for their roster build. 

Stein can only give us the Mavs company line that he has been given. And at best, that company line is what they want, plan, or will try, not what they will end up doing. (At worst, it's a smokescreen.) IMO there are still reasonable doubts that they will be doing ANYTHING more, of any significance.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - IamDougieFresh - 07-13-2022

Feeling optimistic. Might delete later idk.

[Image: 1201202216419872599659c961.jpg]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - ItsGoTime - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 02:37 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Feeling optimistic. Might delete later idk.

[Image: 1201202216419872599659c961.jpg]
You feeling the end of the Powell era coming soon? Begin the McGee era!

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-13-2022

For the record, I think Simmons, like Wood, is the kind of risk this team SHOULD be making at this point, imho. 

If they (somehow, if it's even possible) can add Simmons to the core of 6 players we all agree we like (without giving any of them up, in other words), I'm on board with that.

[Image: FXlAN_AWAAI5a_W?format=jpg&name=large]