MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Scott41theMavs - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/1547050153638449152

Whatever that was, it's been taken down.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 10:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Whatever that was, it's been taken down.

https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/1547050797623431168

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - omahen - 07-13-2022

Lets revisit the summer grades from another thread, based on the goals stated by Mavs:

1. Resign Brunson: F
2. Improve center position: A
3. Get a wing: F (could improve if they do make the deal, but it doesn't look good)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-13-2022

(07-12-2022, 11:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/1547050797623431168

That's an interesting site.  Their Trade Machine isn't as intuitive as others, but has functionality that others don't have either.  It calculates TPE's created.  It has cap sheets on the same sight as well as an up to date list of TPE's and which teams have used what exceptions so far.  

I might suggest having the site open on two windows because if you leave the Trade Machine section to look at something and come back, your work will be lost.  I like that the Fanspo site gives player agent info and is easier to use.  But this may be a good site to back up the more intuitive sites if you have a trade that you think should work (or not work) and you don't agree with the output at ESPN or Fanspo.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1547180488489680896

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

In the midst of all the noise, I just want to recenter on what we know confidently about the Mavs plans. 

MacMahon and Stein have been dead-on accurate with reporting what the Nico front office is doing.

Here was the plan going into the off-season:

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1537262851521396738

Here was the plan AFTER the loss of JB:

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1542618553798606849

So we know that...

1) A playoff rotation wing is the main thing the Mavs seem to be chasing (via MacMahon and Stein).

2) They are NOT chasing any guards as a priority (via Stein).

3) They did in fact chase Dragic and pursue him but told him they didn't have any minutes to promise him (via Dragic himself).

It seems to most fans that the Mavs have a hole at back-up PG. Even if SD gets the lion's share of back-up PG minutes, any injury to him or Luka and you are suddenly counting on THJ/JG/FN/JH to get huge minutes at PG. 

Is it possible that the playoff rotation wing they are chasing/wanting has some PG abilities? 

This is why I keep coming back to Ben Simmons
  • Skin Wade said their pursuit might be "muddied" by the KD trade request. Ben fits that. 
  • The Mavs say they want a playoff rotation wing. Ben fits that.
  • Fans seem to think there is an obvious hole of depth at the PG position. Ben fits that. 

Are there any other wings out there that make sense of all the info we have? What wing out there can also offer you PG depth? Any ideas?

OR 

Are there any two for one trades where the Mavs get back a playoff rotation wing AND PG depth?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 04:02 AM)omahen Wrote: Lets revisit the summer grades from another thread, based on the goals stated by Mavs:

1. Resign Brunson: F
2. Improve center position: A
3. Get a wing: F (could improve if they do make the deal, but it doesn't look good)

Whether you agree with these areas or not, the mavs gave us the report card prior to the test, so I think it is more than fair to hold them to this.  They even said resigning Jalen was priority 1,2 and 3.  So maybe that is lower than an f..ha ha.

My grade will also factor if they reduce future assets for small upgrades as well.

Losing Dragic is tbd.  He appears an easy add.  He knows how to play with Luka and would appear to fit in ok short term.  So if they find a better fit than Dragic than we can revisit.  On the other hand if they scramble and wind up with DSJ type or decide to leave a spot open for now, then I think they deserve some egg on their face.  Pinson may provide A lot of off court value but he is no way more important than a third creator.  To keep him and leave a spot open to start the year would be malpractice.

Question-if Dorsey gets a two way will they treat it like they did with Pinson?  Pinson was a two way guy but didn’t play hardly any g-league games.  If true, the new regime is going to a new level not caring about G league.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1547234376819396608

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1547242564432138240

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jmaciscool - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 10:07 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1547234376819396608

Based on this tweet the word "actually" is difficult to type.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 10:34 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1547242564432138240

Looking at the Bulls roster, I find it difficult to believe Goran has strong indication he can be 20/25 minute a game player.   I guess there are some unknowns.   Curuso and Ball injuries.   Dalon Terry probably needs at least a year.   I thought Ayo was thought really high by the Bulls after a solid rookie year.  I will be surprised if he does not get playing time.

It feels like they try to move white.   Maybe package him and something else for a position with less depth.   

I would actually love Caruso.   I think he would fit in really well in what we were looking for.   Maybe at the trade deadline if the Bulls can't recapture their first half of last year.

(07-13-2022, 10:40 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would actually love Caruso.   I think he would fit in really well in what we were looking for. 

Mavs trading for Caruso and White? Would definitely fill some needs....

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 09:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: In the midst of all the noise, I just want to recenter on what we know confidently about the Mavs plans. 

MacMahon and Stein have been dead-on accurate with reporting what the Nico front office is doing.

Here was the plan going into the off-season:

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1537262851521396738

Here was the plan AFTER the loss of JB:

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1542618553798606849

So we know that...

1) A playoff rotation wing is the main thing the Mavs seem to be chasing (via MacMahon and Stein).

2) They are NOT chasing any guards as a priority (via Stein).

3) They did in fact chase Dragic and pursue him but told him they didn't have any minutes to promise him (via Dragic himself).

It seems to most fans that the Mavs have a hole at back-up PG. Even if SD gets the lion's share of back-up PG minutes, any injury to him or Luka and you are suddenly counting on THJ/JG/FN/JH to get huge minutes at PG. 

Is it possible that the playoff rotation wing they are chasing/wanting has some PG abilities? 

This is why I keep coming back to Ben Simmons
  • Skin Wade said their pursuit might be "muddied" by the KD trade request. Ben fits that. 
  • The Mavs say they want a playoff rotation wing. Ben fits that.
  • Fans seem to think there is an obvious hole of depth at the PG position. Ben fits that. 

Are there any other wings out there that make sense of all the info we have? What wing out there can also offer you PG depth? Any ideas?

OR 

Are there any two for one trades where the Mavs get back a playoff rotation wing AND PG depth?

I feel like there is a lot of wishful thinking here.  What does a Ben Simmons trade even look like?  How do you assess his value with that much uncertainty around him?  What are you willing to give up for a player that does not fit with Luka (unless you assume he does things he has never done before on the court) and may not even play?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 10:46 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Mavs trading for Caruso and White? Would definitely fill some needs....

What asset(s) do we have for that trade?  I don't see Timmy getting it done.

(07-13-2022, 10:46 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Mavs trading for Caruso and White? Would definitely fill some needs....

I don't think they would get both.  I also don't think the bulls would have any real interest proactively exploring Caruso trades at this time.

I do feel like there could be several point guards available.   Some of them may not be available now, but during the season I could see several guys be available.   I am just not sure Dallas can wait.  

I expect White to be moved though.   Not sure he will demand a lot.   It would take more than Powell....I think.

(07-13-2022, 10:48 AM)mvossman Wrote: I feel like there is a lot of wishful thinking here.  What does a Ben Simmons trade even look like?  How do you assess his value with that much uncertainty around him?  What are you willing to give up for a player that does not fit with Luka (unless you assume he does things he has never done before on the court) and may not even play?

What exactly is the "wishful thinking"? I simply think Ben Simmons fills in the blanks to what we know really well. I am not suggesting he is the only way to fill in those blanks. He just makes sense of the mystery before us. But there are also other ways to make sense of the mystery, like I suggested, a two for one trade where a wing and PG come back to fill the roster spot the Mavs have purposely left open. 

I am just trying to make sense of what we know. I am not "wishing" anything. I actually think Simmons would be a big risk.

(07-13-2022, 10:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I don't think they would get both.  I also don't think the bulls would have any real interest proactively exploring Caruso trades at this time.

I do feel like there could be several point guards available.   Some of them may not be available now, but during the season I could see several guys be available.   I am just not sure Dallas can wait.  

I expect White to be moved though.   Not sure he will demand a lot.   It would take more than Powell....I think.

I am just asking questions to try to make sense of the mystery. 

It feels like CHI has a sudden glut of guards. They just feel like a possible natural trade partner with the Mavs. That is all.

I don't think White's value is any better than any of the Mavs's pieces.

(07-13-2022, 10:53 AM)Kammrath Wrote: What exactly is the "wishful thinking"? I simply think Ben Simmons fills in the blanks to what we know really well. I am not suggesting he is the only way to fill in those blanks. He just makes sense of the mystery before us. But there are also other ways to make sense of the mystery, like I suggested, a two for one trade where a wing and PG come back to fill the roster spot the Mavs have purposely left open. 

I am just trying to make sense of what we know. I am not "wishing" anything. I actually think Simmons would be a big risk.

Ok, so its not wishful thinking.  What trade do you image those two teams might agree on?  Just a ball park.  Do you think the Nets have any interest in giving up Simmons for Timmy and Powell?  Do you see the Mavs sending a core piece for a player that doesn't fit and might not play?  If the Mavs thought they were bringing in Simmons would they name Dinwiddie as a starter?  I think the odds we trade for Simmons is well under 5%.

(07-13-2022, 11:02 AM)mvossman Wrote: Ok, so its not wishful thinking.  What trade do you image those two teams might agree on?  Just a ball park.  Do you think the Nets have any interest in giving up Simmons for Timmy and Powell?  Do you see the Mavs sending a core piece for a player that doesn't fit and might not play?  If the Mavs thought they were bringing in Simmons would they name Dinwiddie as a starter?  I think the odds we trade for Simmons is well under 5%.

I don't even know where to begin because if BRK is really chasing Donovan like I think they are, then Simmons would possibly be part of a three or four team trade (and those are way above my pay grade). 

What do I think Simmons is worth on the NBA landscape? I think he is worth a rotation player and ONE 1st round pick at most. If I am the Mavs I think I would be willing to go there, but could also see that being too rich for the risk. I could also see the Mavs thinking he is too risky, period. 

I am NOT suggesting that I think the Mavs are trading for Simmons. I also would put that probability really low. I am just trying to brainstorm possible things the Mavs might be thinking based on the reporting we know. 

And to answer your question: "Do you think the Nets have any interest in giving up Simmons for Timmy and Powell?" My answer is hell yes if it secures them Donovan Mitchell in the process. I think BRK wants to turn the page on the risk of Kyrie and Simmons and be competitive THIS year (they are in one of the most desperate "win now" situations of any team in the league). They might have to trade KD in the process, but we will see.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 09:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: What wing out there can also offer you PG depth?

OG Anunoby can offer that. Given that TOR/Masai probably has an unrealistic asking price I don't think he's a viable option. Though he has been complaining about his role. 

TOR has Gary Trent Jr (the guy the Mavs were trying to get in that proposed TOR-KP deal), Scottie Barnes, OPJ, OG, Thad Young, and Siakam. Lots of wings.

Perhaps one of them is the target.