MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 11:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: So would you agree with the following:

Here are potential guards who could be available

Kemba Walker- minimum salary
Eric Bledsoe-  Probably above minimum but could accept less for contender
Collin Sexton-  Would cost assets to acquire
Kyle Lowry-  Negative asset to Miami 
Mike Conley-  Slight asset for Utah
Patrick Beverly- Slight asset for Utah
V. Micic-  OKC would require an asset
Dennis Smith- minimum salary
Kyrie Irving-  maybe slight asset to Brooklyn, but may just want to get off him if KD is moved.
Dennis Schroeder-  Probably above minimum, but where?

That's a good list.

I'd personally rank them in order of preference as:
1. Lowry
2. Conley
3. Beverly
4. Schroeder
5. Micic
6. Sexton
7. DSJ
8. Kyrie
9. Walker
10. Bledsoe.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Bayliss - 07-12-2022

Bring the prodigal son home.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 11:45 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s a good list. There are probably some names we don’t see coming who are available, too, like Terry Rozier, for example.

Also, while he had a very down year, I don’t think Miami wants to dump Lowry. I don’t think they are there yet, from everything I have heard and read. Include him in a deal for Durant, sure (good luck). Dump him to a team like the Mavericks to be rid of him, I don’t think so.

Yeah, I don't think Miami would dump him either.   I do think if Miami eventually goes all in after Mitchell, there is a good chance Lowry would be in that deal and Utah would have no use for them.   The would be looking at Herro plus draft picks (that seems light though for Mitchell though).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - omahen - 07-12-2022

Mavs are now a Powell contract over the tax limit. The remaining SRP (perhaps with some cash) might be enough to dump him. I am interested if this will be the next move. Although I think they can wait until TDL for this. Since he likely wont play a lot anyway, it will be easier to justify it then.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Smitty - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 05:47 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs are now a Powell contract over the tax limit. The remaining SRP (perhaps with some cash) might be enough to dump him. I am interested if this will be the next move. Although I think they can wait until TDL for this. Since he likely wont play a lot anyway, it will be easier to justify it then.

This is the way.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jason Terry - 07-12-2022

What about Powell for Beverley straight up

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:12 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: What about Powell for Beverley straight up

Sold. Doesn't solve the playmaker issue, but helps in other ways.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:12 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: What about Powell for Beverley straight up

[Image: danny-ainge.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Smitty - 07-12-2022

Even if it were possible, Cuban and Co. wouldn’t do it. 13M > 11M > -11M

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-12-2022

That would be my preference.  Maybe we have to kick in a second or something?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: That would be my preference.  Maybe we have to kick in a second or something?

Ainge probably wants three first rounders for him.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 05:47 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs are now a Powell contract over the tax limit.

That's not correct.

The roster is currently about 14M over the tax line with 14 slots filled, and adding a minimum salary player to finish the 15-man group lands them about 16M over.

Powell makes about 11M.

(07-12-2022, 07:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: That's not correct.

The roster is currently about 14M over the tax line with 14 slots filled, and adding a minimum salary player to finish the 15-man group lands them about 16M over.

Powell makes about 11M.

Bertans it is then…

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:08 PM)Smitty Wrote: Bertans it is then…

Honestly, if they could turn Bertans into air, I'm not sure I'd even blame them. Still, I hope they're not thinking that way. 

I'm a Powell/Green for ? or Bertans for ? deal away from feeling much better.

(07-12-2022, 07:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Honestly, if they could turn Bertans into air, I'm not sure I'd even blame them. Still, I hope they're not thinking that way. 

I'm a Powell/Green for ? or Bertans for ? deal away from feeling much better.

Powell + THJ + Bertans for Westbrook + Draft Tip works in the trade machine.  Do you feel much better?

(07-12-2022, 07:26 PM)cow Wrote: Powell + THJ + Bertans for Lakers + Draft Tip works in the trade machine.  Do you feel much better?

[Image: the-goon-dodgeball.gif]

(07-12-2022, 07:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: the-goon-dodgeball.gif]

I don't completely hate it to be honest but I guess it depends how much you love THJ and how much you hate Bertans.  It would take your committed salary to just a hair over 70m next year.  After the draft, Nico would have a full arsenal of draft picks and a ton of cap room to go big game hunting.  Lakers want Kyrie, Nets don't want Westbrook so I'm assuming the negotiations are "we'll give you no picks" versus "we want two picks".  Lakers have lusted after Buddy Love for a while and while Bertans contract sucks, they do need more than just one shooter.  Powell is just expiring salary filler.  Does it make the Mavs worse this year?  Probably but within the margins.  It would give you an additional ball handler the team needs along with the many, many, many, many turnovers that comes with him handling the ball.  Worst comes to worst, you just send him home.  

Will this ever happen?  No.  Then again, we never see the trades the Mavs usually make coming.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Scott41theMavs - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 11:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: So would you agree with the following:

Here are potential guards who could be available

Kemba Walker- minimum salary
Eric Bledsoe-  Probably above minimum but could accept less for contender
Collin Sexton-  Would cost assets to acquire
Kyle Lowry-  Negative asset to Miami 
Mike Conley-  Slight asset for Utah
Patrick Beverly- Slight asset for Utah
V. Micic-  OKC would require an asset
Dennis Smith- minimum salary
Kyrie Irving-  maybe slight asset to Brooklyn, but may just want to get off him if KD is moved.
Dennis Schroeder-  Probably above minimum, but where?

This list gets my hopes up that surely the Mavs are waiting for one of those minimum salary guys to be willing to negotiate with them. However, my knowledge of the past tells me that they think that they're fine and they're done.

via GIPHY

If they think they can get away with going into the season with just two ball-handlers and think that things are going to be just as rosy as they were at the end of last season and in the playoffs, I would tend to think that this season is going to be a very long one. And I think they're thinking that.

(07-12-2022, 08:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If they think they can get away with going into the season with just two ball-handlers and think that things are going to be just as rosy as they were at the end of last season and in the playoffs, I would tend to think that this season is going to be a very long one. And I think they're thinking that.

I think they'll fill that last roster spot with someone, not that it will make many of us happy.  Maybe the rumors of a planned move in case JB bailed are true and the KD (and now Mitchell) situations are just dragging things out.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/1547050153638449152