MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: WE WILL PLAY 5-OUT.  It just won't be 100% of the time.  The ability to play both ways IS A GOOD THING.

Preach.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think Green is 9th at best.  If the starting lineup is McGee, Wood, DFS, SD and Luka, then Maxi Bullock and Hardaway would be 6-8.  Unfortunately Green doesn't have enough PG skills to run the second unit.  I guess Luka and SD can play 12 minutes together to start halves and split the other 36.  But we still need some injury protection if nothing else.

I've been an advocate of signing another big and Wood getting some burn at the four and even I don't see McGee/Powell getting 30 minutes.  McGee took Powell's job.  Powell is now competing with Wood and Maxi and DFS for 'big' minutes and is arguably the worst defender among that group and definitely the worst 3 point shooter.  WE WILL PLAY 5-OUT.  It just won't be 100% of the time.  The ability to play both ways IS A GOOD THING.

I'm not against McGee as a replacement for Powell as he is fits the situational center role way better, but the best way to play both ways is when you can do it with the same group of 5 on the court.  That is the greatest advantage of Wood offensively, that with him on the court and nobody clogging the lane, he can P&R and P&P or simply space the floor for a very versatile offense.  With McGee or Powell on the floor you are locked into playing P&R with them (they can't do anything else) and relegating Wood to the perimeter.  I would greatly prefer for most of Woods minutes on the floor to be played without one of those guys for that offensive versatility.  That is why I like the Maxi/Wood pairing, because Maxi unlocks Wood's offensive versatility and helps to cover up some of his defensive issues.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-11-2022

I am fine with the mcGee signing.  Now, I may feel different in a year from now...and probably two years from now.  

Sure, he may not be able to be effective in some matchups.  But that is what you get for 5 million.   You want him give you productive minutes against Looney & Zubac's of the world.  And at least provide some resistance to the Jokic's & Aytons's of the world for 15 or so minutes.   

If teams want to go small, I think Dallas showed (at least last year) that they can be very difficult in that style of play.   McGee just gives us a little better chance to not be bullied at center.    I also a nice benefit is it limits some banging minutes for both Wood and Maxi.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 09:03 AM)mvossman Wrote: With McGee or Powell on the floor you are locked into playing P&R with them (they can't do anything else) and relegating Wood to the perimeter.  I would greatly prefer for most of Woods minutes on the floor to be played without one of those guys for that offensive versatility.  That is why I like the Maxi/Wood pairing, because Maxi unlocks Wood's offensive versatility and helps to cover up some of his defensive issues.

I think the majority of Wood’s minutes will be with Maxi or DFS rather than McGee or Powell.  Also, I think there is a ton that can be done offensively with the new starting five.  Yeah, there will be some Luka PnR with McGee (not a bad thing IMHO).  There will be some pick and pop with Wood and tons of opportunity for more when McGee is out.  McGee can also set picks on secondary action away from the ball.  He doesn’t just have to stand at the baseline in the dunker spot.  Lots of teams figure out how to play offensively with a guy who can’t shoot 3’s.  This isn’t rocket surgery.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 09:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think the majority of Wood’s minutes will be with Maxi or DFS rather than McGee or Powell.  Also, I think there is a ton that can be done offensively with the new starting five.  Yeah, there will be some Luka PnR with McGee (not a bad thing IMHO).  There will be some pick and pop with Wood and tons of opportunity for more when McGee is out.  McGee can also set picks on secondary action away from the ball.  He doesn’t just have to stand at the baseline in the dunker spot.  Lots of teams figure out how to play offensively with a guy who can’t shoot 3’s.  This isn’t rocket surgery.

I hope you are right regarding Wood's minutes.  I would feel a lot better if we send out Powell for a 3rd point guard.  It may not be rocket surgery, but I still have PTSD flashbacks to the first week of last season when Powell and KP were routinely running into each other on offense.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 10:07 AM)mvossman Wrote: I hope you are right regarding Wood's minutes.  I would feel a lot better if we send out Powell for a 3rd point guard.  It may not be rocket surgery, but I still have PTSD flashbacks to the first week of last season when Powell and KP were routinely running into each other on offense.

With the S&T of Brunson now off the table, Powell almost has to be outgoing in any trade for major salary.  So, maybe you get your wish.

Need one of the Cuban mouthpieces in the media to tell us there is still hope on the off season trade front.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 10:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Powell almost has to be outgoing in any trade for major salary

I hate to be a broken record with Skin Wade's comments, but he very confidently and clearly stated that it is "unlikely" that DP was on the roster to start the season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mapka - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 10:34 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I hate to be a broken record with Skin Wade's comments, but he very confidently and clearly stated that it is "unlikely" that DP was on the roster to start the season.

And I will believe it, if I see it.
We will reduce the payrole, not add to it for next year.
If Powell leaves, it will be for an expiring.
Is there anybody to help us?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Tyler - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 10:34 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I hate to be a broken record with Skin Wade's comments, but he very confidently and clearly stated that it is "unlikely" that DP was on the roster to start the season.

Skin obviously has deep connections with the Mavs and has occasionally leaked inside info like the DAJ acquisition before it was public. But he's also sometimes wrong.

In the same interview you're referencing, I believe Skin also implied that McGee was never actually told by the Mavs that he was a starter and that he told MacMahon that on his own. Well, it turns out McGee was right and Skin was wrong.

So I guess we'll see. I will say, though, that as an expiring contract with much more competition for his minutes than before, Powell does seem like prime trade fodder.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: WE WILL PLAY 5-OUT.  It just won't be 100% of the time.  The ability to play both ways IS A GOOD THING.

You keep saying this like I don’t get it. I do. Super simple. You’re saying they have the option of playing two bigs now, if they need to. Great. 

What I’m saying that being REQUIRED to play “both ways” is NOT a good thing. Disagree if you want, but if they can’t get to 8-9 without playing a dinosaur, I’m sorry - that’s not flexibility in my book. That’s moving in the wrong direction. 

If there was some indication that McGee would be 3rd in the pecking order behind Wood and Kleber, I’d be ecstatic with the player (if not the contract). But, the indications are that they’re back to this “____ is a 4 in the regular season and a 5 in the playoffs” and I can’t stand that thinking. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Outside of the Lakers in one abnormal season, who has that worked for?

If there was a way for the roster to be played without McGee getting a single minute - if they had that OPTION, then we could start to use words like “flexible” in a way that mattered.

(07-11-2022, 10:54 AM)Tyler Wrote: In the same interview you're referencing, I believe Skin also implied that McGee was never actually told by the Mavs that he was a starter and that he told MacMahon that on his own. Well, it turns out McGee was right and Skin was wrong.

About McGee he just said that McGee likes to say things, so you can't be sure from McGee's comments. But he never pretended to know for sure. 

Skin will chew the fat and just spitball, but he also has a serious side and it is pretty obvious when he moves into that mode.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 10:07 AM)mvossman Wrote:  I would feel a lot better if we send out Powell for a 3rd point guard.  It may not be rocket surgery, but I still have PTSD flashbacks to the first week of last season when Powell and KP were routinely running into each other on offense.

You know I agree because we see each other at the weekly support group, along with @"dirkfansince1998".

(07-11-2022, 09:03 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not against McGee as a replacement for Powell as he is fits the situational center role way better, but the best way to play both ways is when you can do it with the same group of 5 on the court.  That is the greatest advantage of Wood offensively, that with him on the court and nobody clogging the lane, he can P&R and P&P or simply space the floor for a very versatile offense.  With McGee or Powell on the floor you are locked into playing P&R with them (they can't do anything else) and relegating Wood to the perimeter.  I would greatly prefer for most of Woods minutes on the floor to be played without one of those guys for that offensive versatility.  That is why I like the Maxi/Wood pairing, because Maxi unlocks Wood's offensive versatility and helps to cover up some of his defensive issues.

You and your basketball acumen are a gift to this community, sir. Bless you.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 11:24 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You know I agree because we see each other at the weekly support group, along with @dirkfansince1998.

Not gone lie. A weekly group therapy might be in order if the Mavs don´t make any further moves in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1546536180241813504

I can’t imagine that a team coming off of a WCF season would rely on a rookie contributing to the regular rotation. 

If they ARE thinking that way, they’re fools. Even if they get lucky and it works. Draft the kid. Develop the kid. Play him when you can. But, give yourself the “flexibility” of not being forced to depend on him.

If you’ve caught lightning in a bottle with the 37th pick, you’ll have what we call “a good problem.”

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - IamDougieFresh - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can’t imagine that a team coming off of a WCF season would rely on a rookie contributing to the regular rotation. 

If they ARE thinking that way, they’re fools. Even if they get lucky and it works. Draft the kid. Develop the kid. Play him when you can. But, give yourself the “flexibility” of not being forced to depend on him.

If you’ve caught lightning in a bottle with the 37th pick, you’ll have what we call “a good problem.”

I feel like this is a huge problem. As of right now we are relying on Hardy and Frank as our bench ball handlers. Obviously they will stagger Luka and Dinwiddie’s minutes, but it seems sketchy. Baring roster moves, Dinwiddie needs to come off the bench imo. Also, bench McShaqtin’. Put Luka, THJ, Bullock, DFS and Wood out there. Emphasize Luka/Wood  PnR/Pick and pop. 3 solid shooters ready when the help is forced to come. I have no doubt Wood can be an All-Star if we play this way. More importantly it will make us really good.

Filling the rotation out with Maxi, Dinwiddie, Hardy, Frank = profit. Fuck it just sign DSJ because he can dribble and Jauncho to give us some 3/4 minutes. McShaqtin’ can get some minutes when we are vs the few teams who actually have problematic big men.

Green has about 10 games to show me he will shoot wide open 3s and hit at a decent clip. Obviously get Dwight outta here.

PS, I’m still sickened by how underrated Maxi is. A defensive freak who can space the floor. The type of player everyone here has always wanted. Barley gets any credit. Don’t worry Maxi. I see your ultra high value.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can’t imagine that a team coming off of a WCF season would rely on a rookie contributing to the regular rotation. 

This is the Mavs. Maybe I would believe in a culture change, if they hadn´t just grossly overpaid for a 35 year old center. There is no way they roll with Hardy, Green and Ntilikina as their 3rd to 5th guard in the rotation. You either get ready for a lot of The Cheerleader or their Plans K-Z are held up by the sh*tshow that Durant/Irving have created.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - ItsGoTime - 07-11-2022

What prompted this post?

(07-11-2022, 12:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What prompted this post?

CBAMavs’ tweet that seemed to imply Hardy was somehow under consideration for regular minutes.

(07-11-2022, 12:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What prompted this post?

PTSD

[Image: giphy.gif]