MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-09-2022

Two questions:  if Westbrook is eventually bought out, is there a team he can go to rehab his image?  I would have said Miami but I don’t think they have space for him.

Would you be Interested in him on Dallas for the minimum?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-09-2022

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1545955801256321024

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - WildArkieBoy - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 07:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Two questions:  if Westbrook is eventually bought out, is there a team he can go to rehab his image?  I would have said Miami but I don’t think they have space for him.

If he would buy into a specific role defined and sold by JKidd.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 09:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1545955801256321024

Scoring enough points was never the issue with losing Brunson, it was losing his playmaking. The starting lineup should be fine with Luka, Dinwiddie, and even Wood being able to create his own shots a bit, but we literally have no playmakers coming off the bench right now.

Passing on Dragic continues to mystify me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 05:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, Mavs fans have been promising me that Andre Drummond is the missing piece here for the past 4 years. I’ll assume COTY candidate Williams had the right of it. 

Look, I hope you’re right, just like I did during all of those Porzingis arguments.

For most, the Andre Drummond argument was coming from that Powell is SO bad at rebounding that Drummond was a viable option to replace him. Obviously Drummond has his own warts.

The thing is McGee isn't anything like Drummond, nor Powell. He can effectively guard the rim, rebound, all while being an elite lob threat. Further, he can hold his own on the perimeter. Remember when he had his SportCenter top 10 highlight by stripping Luka on one end and dunking on the other in the playoffs?

I just think you're underestimating McGee's impact, and overestimating how important the first 5 minutes are in every 1st and 3rd quarter which is what McGee will be playing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jakeospikez - 07-09-2022

I think there has always been like 10 Drummond hater responses for every Drummond suggestion.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:18 PM)Branduil Wrote: Scoring enough points was never the issue with losing Brunson, it was losing his playmaking. The starting lineup should be fine with Luka, Dinwiddie, and even Wood being able to create his own shots a bit, but we literally have no playmakers coming off the bench right now.

Passing on Dragic continues to mystify me.

Genuinely how many guys did Brunson set up while on the court next to Luka? He was routinely criticized for having his head down and being score-first guy. Of course JB made plenty of hockey assists, but I wouldn't say the biggest issue of losing Brunson was his playmaking. I'd say it was his ability to create a shot for himself seemingly at will, AND be relatively efficient while doing so. That is hard to replicate.

THJ can create a shot for himself, but efficiency was never his strong suit. Dinwiddie has the ability to set other people up in droves (more-so than Brunson ever has), but again he's streaky in making his own shots. 

It seems as if Kidd/Nico don't really care, and seem to believe that by getting more scoring guards, they'll make up for the loss of efficiency with raw numbers. And it's hard to argue against that. They're getting back Hardaway whose good for at least 10 a game, and adding Wood who can be an efficient scorer with the ability to be a 20ppg guy.

It's a different philosophy than what they had last year. And it's puzzling that they're so quick to change how they operate given that how they played last year got them to the WCF, but I don't think it's necessarily bad. 

I agree losing out on Dragic was a mistake in my view. Thought it was the easiest no-brainer choice to bring him in and the fact they didn't really dampened my view on the "new" front office.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jakeospikez - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 07:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Two questions:  if Westbrook is eventually bought out, is there a team he can go to rehab his image?  I would have said Miami but I don’t think they have space for him.

No room for inefficient chuckers on this team that are left unguarded offball at any price.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Genuinely how many guys did Brunson set up while on the court next to Luka? He was routinely criticized for having his head down and being score-first guy. Of course JB made plenty of hockey assists, but I wouldn't say the biggest issue of losing Brunson was his playmaking. I'd say it was his ability to create a shot for himself seemingly at will, AND be relatively efficient while doing so. That is hard to replicate.

THJ can create a shot for himself, but efficiency was never his strong suit. Dinwiddie has the ability to set other people up in droves (more-so than Brunson ever has), but again he's streaky in making his own shots.

1) Yes JB's ability to create offense for himself is his big strength, to go one on one.

2) JB's Ast% for his career is 23.6%, SD's is 29.2% to affirm your point that SD does indeed set up others better.

3) I personally am not confused by the lack of Dragic signing because we don't yet know the roster that will be starting training camp.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 3) I personally am not confused by the lack of Dragic signing because we don't yet know the roster that will be starting training camp.

Obviously we don't know. Do the Mavs?

(07-09-2022, 10:42 PM)Branduil Wrote: Obviously we don't know. Do the Mavs?

I am confident they have an idea of all the working possibilities.

(07-09-2022, 10:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am confident they have an idea of all the working possibilities.

And do they know for 100% sure that these possibilities are better than the guarantee of Dragic for the minimum?

(07-09-2022, 10:48 PM)Branduil Wrote: And do they know for 100% sure that these possibilities are better than the guarantee of Dragic for the minimum?

They obviously like the possibilities more than Dragic at the minimum.

(07-09-2022, 10:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: They obviously like the possibilities more than Dragic at the minimum.

Obviously so. It will be fun to see what this possibility actually is.

(07-09-2022, 10:51 PM)Branduil Wrote: Obviously so. It will be fun to see what this possibility actually is.

It will. 

As crazy as it may seem, I could totally see them having had a chance to see JH in person and practicing that they decided they did not want to bury him at the bottom of the depth chart. 

And one thing I am confident about above all: JKidd is a PG and he knows how important that role is on the court. No chance they go into the season with him thinking they don't have enough creators and point guards.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Tyler - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:24 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The thing is McGee isn't anything like Drummond, nor Powell. He can effectively guard the rim, rebound, all while being an elite lob threat. Further, he can hold his own on the perimeter. Remember when he had his SportCenter top 10 highlight by stripping Luka on one end and dunking on the other in the playoffs?

https://twitter.com/asyml73/status/1521340838701379586

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jommybone - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No chance they go into the season with him thinking they don't have enough creators and point guards.

Except that they did last year, no?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-10-2022

I mean, if the plan is to transition and develop Josh Green as a PG, I wouldn't even be that upset. I would think it's foolhardy to do that without any vet backup, but I could understand the reasoning-- if it works, Josh running point with bench shooters like THJ, Bullock, Bertans, and Maxi around him could rack up points quickly, with one of Luka or Dinwiddie as a relief valve. But if that's the plan, they should just say it instead of pretending they have some secret amazing trade lined up which they can't do yet for some reason.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Dundalis - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 02:06 AM)Branduil Wrote: I mean, if the plan is to transition and develop Josh Green as a PG, I wouldn't even be that upset. I would think it's foolhardy to do that without any vet backup, but I could understand the reasoning-- if it works, Josh running point with bench shooters like THJ, Bullock, Bertans, and Maxi around him could rack up points quickly, with one of Luka or Dinwiddie as a relief valve. But if that's the plan, they should just say it instead of pretending they have some secret amazing trade lined up which they can't do yet for some reason.

I would be. Green will never be an NBA caliber PG. I'd bet a lot of money on that. There are guys in the league who have way more tools in their bag as a ball handler who can't be NBA PG's. If you ever have Josh Green running anything on your team for more than a minute, you are probably in a lot of trouble. Hardy is a million miles ahead of Josh Green as a potential ball handler, and he will unlikely ever be a guy you want running one of the units on your team IMO. The important of ball handling is probably the highest it's ever been today. Skimping on it is pretty much guaranteed a bad idea.

I think the current situation regarding the ball handling situation works if guys like DFS and Bullock can ball handle some. In that situation I think you could afford to play Luka in the starting unit with Dinwiddie remaining on the bench, and not really require a third primary ball handler, because you have some wings that can handle the ball a bit and take some pressure off. Wood can do it a bit, but not enough to make up for no Dinwiddie, you'd need at least two part time ball handlers in the starting unit. The complete lack of ball handling ability of our wings really puts an unnecessary strain on Luka. Even then, you at least want a backup with some experience running an NBA offense at a capable level. Like a Trey Burke minimum.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-10-2022

(07-09-2022, 05:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Suns fans were lamenting Monty for that decision. Mavs were getting destroyed by McGee the first 3 games and for whatever reason Monty never went back to McGee.

Look at how they reacted to losing McGee. He's totally fine as a top 8 player and should be fine playing in a playoff game.

That´s a new one. I know that they complained about Ayton but McGee was simply played off the floor.

Game 1
4pts 3reb 2 fouls in 14 minutes, -2 in a 7pts win

Game 2
6pts 2reb 3blk 5 fouls in 9 minutes, -3 in a 20pts win

Game 3
8pts 7reb 2 fouls in 14 minutes, -8 in a 9pts loss

To me it looks like the Suns did the RC style evaluation and realized that the Mavs outscored them in the McGee minutes. Made the necessary adjustment in the following games. Main problem being McGee`s inability to defend in space. Especially against the Mavs stretch bigs and in the pick and roll. According to NBA.com it was Kleber´s best matchup in the playoffs. Scoring 15pts on 5/9 from the floor, 4/8 from 3 in just 13 matchup minutes.

Because we all like high/low...lights

I don´t think there is any scenario where McGee is going to win the matchup against an average NBA stretch big. He won´t be able to dictate the matchup and play them off the floor. It´s the other way around.
I think the Suns realized the same. Decision to keep Biyombo on a vet min deal instead of paying McGee was a no brainer.

I am happy if he can give the Mavs a durable body in the regular season. Reduce the load of Kleber and Wood. Don´t expect him to be of any use in the playoffs. But I would have prefered a younger option or a better post defender. If the Mavs really wanted a big body that can give them rebounding and rim protection at least pick someone that won´t foul out within 5-10 minutes if he is asked to defend bigs like Jokic or Embiid.
Personal prediction: McGee´s fouls will be one of the main causes of outrage in gamethreads this season.