MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Also, I’m not sure it’s a given that Wood will be an upgrade to Brunson in the wash.

It is of course not a given, but based on the last three years of data, CW is a more impactful basketball player on both ends than JB according to almost every metric. So I expect that to continue to be the case. 

AND I thought SD had a very diminished role in the playoffs because there wasn't enough ball to go around. So I expect his role and impact to increase positively, picking up any slack from JB. Yes, having another reliable creator would be nice, but 1) let's see if they make a trade and 2) if not let's see how things unfold before the TDL, as they will have a chance to evaluate the balance of the roster before then.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with this, and agree that it needed improvement. 

I don’t think rebounding is important enough to justify rethinking the team’s style of play, however, and imo, getting to the WCF while not prioritizing it at all supports that. To be clear, I’m not suggesting that their lack of rebounding was WHY they advanced, just that the things they prioritized ahead of it via play style were ultimately more important. I do agree that better rebounding (without having to sacrifice in other areas) would be a plus.

My hope is that Luka's rebounding stats take a nose dive this year.  That should help him save energy for more important aspects of his game (defensive consistency and of course offense).  

Further, I still think our offensive playstyle needed tweaking.  With Luka, JB and Dinwiddie, it was always a game of "my turn, your turn".  I'm not sure the roster gets the team to where I'd like to see them but I'm really curious what Luka looks like with Wood.  Is he the Amar'e approximation that a lot of us have pined for?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: AND I thought SD had a very diminished role in the playoffs because there wasn't enough ball to go around.

I can get behind this concept, to an extent. It’s a valid point.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:29 PM)cow Wrote: Further, I still think our offensive playstyle needed tweaking.  With Luka, JB and Dinwiddie, it was always a game of "my turn, your turn".  I'm not sure the roster gets the team to where I'd like to see them but I'm really curious what Luka looks like with Wood.  Is he the Amar'e approximation that a lot of us have pined for?

I agree with the “turns” point. @"ItsGoTime" and I have had that conversation a lot recently. We all agree that it needs to change, but I don’t see how DECREASING the number of competent ball-handlers helps with that. I think that issue was caused by Luka and Brunson both being ball-stoppers by CHOICE, probably through inexperience. 

Donnie said it before his last year, and Kidd has said it about 10 times since: Luka needs to get out of “me against the world” mentality and start moving the ball earlier in most possessions. I see this as part of the journey for pretty much any young phenom, not the result of bad offensive design.

I DO agree that adding the Luka/Wood element will help a ton, if their chemistry is natural and they work at it. 

Again, I just lived for two weeks in a world where (I thought) both Wood and Brunson were going to be Mavericks. Rational or not, I’m going to be in mourning until they give me something that helps me let go of that. I’m sure the line for that is different from person to person. If this is the roster, I’m not there yet.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with the “turns” point. @"ItsGoTime" and I have had that conversation a lot recently. We all agree that it needs to change, but I don’t see how DECREASING the number of competent ball-handlers helps with that. I think that issue was caused by Luka and Brunson both being ball-stoppers by CHOICE, probably through inexperience. 

Donnie said it before his last year, and Kidd has said it about 10 times since: Luka needs to get out of “me against the world” mentality and start moving the ball earlier in most possessions. I see this as part of the journey for pretty much any young phenom, not the result of bad offensive design.

I DO agree that adding the Luka/Wood element will help a ton, if their chemistry is natural and they work at it. 

Again, I just lived for two weeks in a world where (I thought) both Wood and Brunson were going to be Mavericks. Rational or not, I’m going to be in mourning until they give me something that helps me let go of that. I’m sure the line for that is different from person to person. If this is the roster, I’m not there yet.

I just imagine what Steve Kerr could do with a gifted and willing passer like Luka.  Granted a lot of that is due to personnel but a lot of times the Mavs were painful to watch, even if effective, and gave me Harden in Houston vibes.  I did expect a lot more from Kidd in this regard and was pretty disappointed in the outcome.  The perfect example I've mentioned a lot is being forced to have Bertans in the rotation and then not making the most out of his only elite skill.  

Besides his size, my biggest knock on Jalen was his horse blinders.  Maybe that's a product of the offense we ran and he did have a career year as for as assists were concerned.  I'd put him in the "good" category in that regard.  I'd rank Dinwiddie as worst of the three ball handlers.  We really need another creator and will probably need to pick someone off the scrap heap to do so.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jmaciscool - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:29 PM)cow Wrote: My hope is that Luka's rebounding stats take a nose dive this year.  That should help him save energy for more important aspects of his game (defensive consistency and of course offense).  

Further, I still think our offensive playstyle needed tweaking.  With Luka, JB and Dinwiddie, it was always a game of "my turn, your turn".  I'm not sure the roster gets the team to where I'd like to see them but I'm really curious what Luka looks like with Wood.  Is he the Amar'e approximation that a lot of us have pined for?

Gotta admit my immature lizard brain chuckled at this phrasing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jommybone - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) 8th man by committee isn't ideal...but if the Mavs are forced to take this team into the season there is a chance that FN, JG, or JH could make a leap where you can count on them. And it is possible with a full year in the system that DB could find a real home. I personally think that is a very real possibility. 

2) Trading CW for JB is an upgrade to what the Mavs need in the playoffs around Luka. I really came around on JB, but repeatedly said even after his jump in the playoffs that he and Luka do NOT maximize each other. I think Luka and CW have a chance to be "sum is greater than the parts" which is exciting. I also think having THJ and his shooting on top of that is a huge step. So if the Mavs go into the playoffs with the roster as is I think they have a chance to be better and stronger than last year (of course you still need the right breaks around you to get to the WCF).

Re #1, I think you count on Josh or Frank or Jaden or even Davis taking a significant leap forward. Teams don’t usually turn into champs without that kind of unexpected contribution. I love that we’ve got so many guys who could become that kind of spring surprise for this team. 

Re #2, I think you’re wearing some rose colored glasses there. Here’s my perspective: Lost a guy that professionals on another team were excited about paying $26mm/year even though they had to give up a first rounder to create the room to do it. Gained a guy that professionals on another team were happy to dump for a heap of scraps plus a first rounder that they didn’t want and promptly traded for future seconds. Thus the notion that CW+ will cancel out the JB- seems rather unlikely to me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-09-2022

If by any chance we do some Harris/Thybulle trade, ask them to throw in Ordinary Joe, who turns into Isaiah the Messiah every SummerLeague.

Koloko 12/7/2 with three blocks and three steals. F´n Raptors.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Cherokee Parks is the Future - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 03:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Again, I just lived for two weeks in a world where (I thought) both Wood and Brunson were going to be Mavericks. Rational or not, I’m going to be in mourning until they give me something that helps me let go of that. I’m sure the line for that is different from person to person. If this is the roster, I’m not there yet.

Perfectly sums up how I feel about the offseason so far.  After the Wood trade and when it looked like Brunson was coming back was the best time to feel good about next season.  There is no way to talk me into believing the Mavs will be better next season minus Brunson.

The Mavs have a massive hole on the second unit at the playmaker position and for some reason they felt Dragic wasn't the answer....they better come up with a better answer or I fail to see how this offseason wasn't a failure overall.  Not an F but closer to that than an A.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 02:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Just a reminder that McGee was benched in favor of Biyombo last season, during a series that we here all watched closely. Valuable tool, yes. Good addition, also yes. 

Someone I want to be counted among my TOP 8 players? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Suns fans were lamenting Monty for that decision. Mavs were getting destroyed by McGee the first 3 games and for whatever reason Monty never went back to McGee.

Look at how they reacted to losing McGee. He's totally fine as a top 8 player and should be fine playing in a playoff game.

(07-09-2022, 05:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Suns fans were lamenting Monty for that decision. Mavs were getting destroyed by McGee the first 3 games and for whatever reason Monty never went back to McGee.

Look at how they reacted to losing McGee. He's totally fine as a top 8 player and should be fine playing in a playoff game.

We started Powell and had Bertans in the rotation as a big and McGee can't crack our top 8?  I'm just really confused by KL on this.

(07-09-2022, 05:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Suns fans were lamenting Monty for that decision. Mavs were getting destroyed by McGee the first 3 games and for whatever reason Monty never went back to McGee.

Well, Mavs fans have been promising me that Andre Drummond is the missing piece here for the past 4 years. I’ll assume COTY candidate Williams had the right of it. 

Look, I hope you’re right, just like I did during all of those Porzingis arguments.

(07-09-2022, 05:37 PM)cow Wrote: We started Powell and had Bertans in the rotation as a big and McGee can't crack our top 8?  I'm just really confused by KL on this.

I don’t think McGee represents very much of a positive change from Powell in some crucial areas. In some areas, sure. I’m also not sure he even plays in front of Powell against some potential playoff opponents. 

For me, the goal would have been:

1) Adding Wood and all of the benefits there we’ve discussed. Another rotation mainstay who brings more skill to the table. 

2) Adding another playoff rotation wing or a forward so that they have the FLEXIBILITY to choose only to play Wood and Kleber in games that call for that approach. 

3) upgrade the 3rd Big from Powell to someone like McGee to be used only in situations that call for it. Honestly, I would’ve been fine with Powell in this role for one more season.

If they had done #2 (still might) I’d be fine with adding McGee. Even just retaining Brunson would’ve kinda/sorta made THJ that guy (though I was hoping for Brunson AND a wing addition).

(07-09-2022, 06:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t think McGee represents very much of a positive change from Powell in some crucial areas. In some areas, sure. I’m also not sure he even plays in front of Powell against some potential playoff opponents. 

For me, the goal would have been:

1) Adding Wood and all of the benefits there we’ve discussed. Another rotation mainstay who brings more skill to the table. 

2) Adding another playoff rotation wing or a forward so that they have the FLEXIBILITY to choose only to play Wood and Kleber in games that call for that approach. 

3) upgrade the 3rd Big from Powell to someone like McGee to be used only in situations that call for it. Honestly, I would’ve been fine with Powell in this role for one more season.

If they had done #2 (still might) I’d be fine with adding McGee. Even just retaining Brunson would’ve kinda/sorta made THJ that guy (though I was hoping for Brunson AND a wing addition).

Powell was largely unplayable in the playoffs but we were forced to play him and Bertans.  McGee is a much better shot blocking threat, will be just as good of a lob threat if not better, has a better offensive game and as hell of a lot better rebounder.  Powell doesn't offer much over McGee with the exception of better movement on defense (perimeter).  Flexibility is exactly what Wood and McGee give the rotation as they offer skillsets not found in our current big men.  

The offseason also isn't over but the Mavs might not be able to check all of your boxes.  They had very limited ways to upgrade the team so ticking multiple is a success.

(07-09-2022, 06:26 PM)cow Wrote: Powell was largely unplayable in the playoffs but we were forced to play him and Bertans.  McGee is a much better shot blocking threat, will be just as good of a lob threat if not better, has a better offensive game and as hell of a lot better rebounder.  Powell doesn't offer much over McGee with the exception of better movement on defense (perimeter).  Flexibility is exactly what Wood and McGee give the rotation as they offer skillsets not found in our current big men. 

Yeah, I just disagree with so much here. I like McGee but I do not think he’ll be any more effective as a vertical spacer than Powell, particularly in the playoffs. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see on that. 

Yes, he’s a better rim protector and a MUCH better rebounder (who wouldn’t be) than Powell, but my personal belief is that neither of those things are as important as the top-notch, feet-moving, switchable TEAM defense that Powell played. 

Powell wasn’t short on minutes in the playoffs because of defense or rebounding, it was because of him being exposed (at that level) on offense, imho. To stay on the court at that point, you kind of need to occupy a defender, and when defenses get to the level where they can take the roll option away WITHOUT giving up a pass-out look (the warriors were so good they could accomplish this BEFORE the screen, even) guys like Powell who can’t shoot or handle the ball on the short roll are pretty much cooked. I see no reason to believe McGee will be any more useable in that end-of-the-season situation.

(07-09-2022, 06:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I just disagree with so much here. I like McGee but I do not think he’ll be any more effective as a vertical spacer than Powell, particularly in the playoffs. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see on that. 

Yes, he’s a better rim protector and a MUCH better rebounder (who wouldn’t be) than Powell, but my personal belief is that neither of those things are as important as the top-notch, feet-moving, switchable TEAM defense that Powell played. 

Powell wasn’t short on minutes in the playoffs because of defense or rebounding, it was because of him being exposed (at that level) on offense, imho. To stay on the court at that point, you kind of need to occupy a defender, and when defenses get to the level where they can take the roll option away WITHOUT giving up a pass-out look (the warriors were so good they could accomplish this BEFORE the screen, even) guys like Powell who can’t shoot or handle the ball on the short roll are pretty much cooked. I see no reason to believe McGee will be any more useable in that end-of-the-season situation.

Defense doesn't matter if you can't collect the board after a stop.  GSW had 19 more offense rebounds in the series against us.  You might have an argument for Powell's defense if he was even a passable rebounder but he had 10 (TEN) boards for the series which is also the number of rebounds that Bertans gave you.  That combination played about 20 minutes per game and gave you four rebounds, five points and a steal per game.  

COTY candidate Monty Williams failed to take the #1 seed to the WCF against the #4 seed and really did a poor job taking advantage of mismatches.  People like to throw out the "McGee got benched for Biyambo" rhetoric but what success did that gimmick lead to?  It shades of Carlisle starting Boban against the Clippers.  It worked once and was quickly adjusted to.

There will be bad matchups for McGee but with a rotation of four big men with varying skillset, the hope should be that we can plug someone in for productive minutes.  Flexibility.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - IamDougieFresh - 07-09-2022

I’d like to announce publicly that I will be change my title from “#1 Dwight hater” to “#1 JaVale hater” as soon as Dwight is out of here. I have foreseen JaVale’s shitness.

@"cow" we just don’t see eye to eye on this one. Not the end of the world, we’ll always have DFS.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 07-09-2022

(07-09-2022, 07:06 PM)cow Wrote: There will be bad matchups for McGee but with a rotation of four big men with varying skillset, the hope should be that we can plug someone in for productive minutes.  Flexibility.

Four?
Wood, Maxi, McGee and who? DP?

(07-09-2022, 07:22 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I’d like to announce publicly that I will be change my title from “#1 Dwight hater” to “#1 JaVale hater” as soon as Dwight is out of here. I have foreseen JaVale’s shitness.

He'll be the best center we've had since TC and not grossly overpaid like Powell.  Hard to build a lot of ire up about someone making a little over 5m a year.

(07-09-2022, 07:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:  Not the end of the world, we’ll always have DFS.

Nope.  I'm taking the house and the kids and leaving you with the Aussie Shepard that likes to pee on the floor.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9524705egpiafuitr3ib3...y.gif&ct=s]

(07-09-2022, 07:30 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Four?
Wood, Maxi, McGee and who? DP?

DP.  Bertans too.