MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - RDB - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 05:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: RDB - "I like Maxi but am not married to an above average defender who has no game inside the 3 point line and needs 3’ of space to shoot or he becomes a speed bump in ball rotation.  I just think his skills are easily replaceable with reasonable dollars. (Wow that sounds harsh).  I will agree that I am on the fence with Green.  I still hold out hope that we will see significant improvement where Maxi at this point is what he is."

My view on Maxi is 2-fold, and I think both are vital to the bigger picture:

1 He is a good two-player. The Mavs don't have enough of those. Sure there are better players out there in this area or that, but it's a mistake to make the perfect become the enemy of the good.

2 More importantly, if he is traded right now, finding a "two-way big" replacement will be hard. Who's that 3-and-D big you have in mind that's so great? Or even as good as Maxi?

It’s just a difference in the value each of us place on him.  I view Maxi as a solid bench player but nothing more.  I do like his defense and would probably value him higher if he were more than a set shot 3 point guy who is completely reliant on others to get a shot.  If we could get DB the same looks that Maxi gets, we would forget about Maxi’s shooting quickly.  Unfortunately, that isn’t going to happen because teams stick to DB much tighter and know if they can close out reasonably quickly, Maxi won’t shoot or drive.  I would even accept passable inside the 3 point line.  I just think at 30, he is what he is and I don’t see things improving as he gets further away from 30.

And it doesn't get solved next summer either, because even if there are many available then (and there never are), the Mavs only get 1 (ONE!) opportunity each summer, not all they want, to get those good solid NT-MLE players to fill various needs throughout the roster. Sometimes (like this year, limited to the T-MLE), they get 0. With Kyrie having walked, you have to fix that already.

As far as Green, I don't think you get enough value by including him. So why bother? He would be pretty close to just filler in the eyes of the other team. They certainly won't be giving you the value of what you think he can become.

I agree…I threw him in as filler too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-05-2022

It’s just a difference in the value each of us place on him.  I view Maxi as a solid bench player but nothing more.  I do like his defense and would probably value him higher if he were more than a set shot 3 point guy who is completely reliant on others to get a shot.  If we could get DB the same looks that Maxi gets, we would forget about Maxi’s shooting quickly.  Unfortunately, that isn’t going to happen because teams stick to DB much tighter and know if they can close out reasonably quickly, Maxi won’t shoot or drive.  I would even accept passable inside the 3 point line.  I just think at 30, he is what he is and I don’t see things improving as he gets further away from 30.

Your right in that he is very limited on offense, but generally its good enough not to be a big negative (unless he is in a huge shooting slump like the end of this last season).  But I think his defense an versatility are sometimes overlooked.  He is arguably the best defender on the team and possesses the rare talent of being a quality rim protector while also being able to defend the perimeter.  Having a rim protector that can't get played off the court defensively is a huge plus in the playoffs.  He is also the perfect match for guys like Wood and Powell whos offensive games are primarily in the paint, but can't protect the rim particularly well.  He is never going to garner much in a trade due to his limited offense and he doesn't play big minutes, but I think he is very valuable to this team.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavsfan12 - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 08:05 PM)mvossman Wrote: It’s just a difference in the value each of us place on him.  I view Maxi as a solid bench player but nothing more.  I do like his defense and would probably value him higher if he were more than a set shot 3 point guy who is completely reliant on others to get a shot.  If we could get DB the same looks that Maxi gets, we would forget about Maxi’s shooting quickly.  Unfortunately, that isn’t going to happen because teams stick to DB much tighter and know if they can close out reasonably quickly, Maxi won’t shoot or drive.  I would even accept passable inside the 3 point line.  I just think at 30, he is what he is and I don’t see things improving as he gets further away from 30.

Your right in that he is very limited on offense, but generally its good enough not to be a big negative (unless he is in a huge shooting slump like the end of this last season).  But I think his defense an versatility are sometimes overlooked.  He is arguably the best defender on the team and possesses the rare talent of being a quality rim protector while also being able to defend the perimeter.  Having a rim protector that can't get played off the court defensively is a huge plus in the playoffs.  He is also the perfect match for guys like Wood and Powell whos offensive games are primarily in the paint, but can't protect the rim particularly well.  He is never going to garner much in a trade due to his limited offense and he doesn't play big minutes, but I think he is very valuable to this team.

Maxi is a very important glue guy.  He IS a Jack of all trades here, which makes some think he isn't as valuable as he really is.  Maxi is one of the reasons we make it to the WCF last year.  His versatility is SO important to this team.  He isn't just filler in a trade and if he goes, we won't replace what he does easily.  This team needs defense - it can't get to where we all want them to go without ADDING players who play D, while still being able to spread the floor and provide support to the offensive side of the ball.  Guys like Maxi/Bullock/DFS are proven cogs in our system.  Hopefully Green gets to that level soon.  We aren't going far without them.  That's why other teams want them and why guys like Thybulle are being shopped.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - RDB - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 08:25 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: We aren't going far without them.  That's why other teams want them and why guys like Thybulle are being shopped.

I respect others opinions, I just don’t agree on Maxi (or many of our other supposedly indispensable players).  Frankly, if we aren’t going far without the Maxi’s and Greens, we have far more issues than I believe we do.  I just don’t understand how people can spend so much time complaining about our depth and talent and continually say that we need to upgrade, yet when it comes time to do something, all of our players are indispensable unless he returns a stud.  Every time a proposal is made, folks say the other team wouldn’t do it because we don’t have the assets or it’s clearly one sided.  Our blue colored glasses have become fogged.

This board can also be a fickle group.  When Maxi was sucking hind tit at the end of the year, many were looking to bail.  He put together a few good scoring games and now he is indispensable.  Timmy was blasted until I believe his contract season, then we needed him, now we don’t again.  The SD trade was unpopular until he showed something and we fell in love.  When he strung together some poor playoff games, that love started to wane.  Now that Brunson has left, he is again indispensable.  We want others to give us the players we ask for because we love our boys but will complain when nothing gets done.  Maybe we just find our #2 using Timmy and DB and we should be finals bound Smile .

Edit:  One more point on the fickleness, don’t forget, there was a large number of folks on the board that didn’t like Reggie well past the mid point of last season.  Just go back and review posts.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:26 PM)RDB Wrote: This board can also be a fickle group.

Preach.

There is a tendency to both massively overrate and massively underrate the Mavs players/prospects/assets.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - ItsGoTime - 07-05-2022

The fickleness of the board is because different people believe differently. If you read posts on here and think it’s all 1 person saying it, you’re doing it wrong. Also, there are tons of differing opinions for just about any topic. I myself have probably disagreed with every poster that posts on this board at some point or another so I know there is at least some differing opinions.

For sure the Mavs favorable posts get the most likes and the thoughts that are less than sunshine pumping don’t get a lot of support, but I’ve found there are like minded people that just don’t show the support of those type of posts.

(07-05-2022, 11:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The fickleness of the board is because different people believe differently. If you read posts on here and think it’s all 1 person saying it, you’re doing it wrong. Also, there are tons of differing opinions for just about any topic. I myself have probably disagreed with every poster that posts on this board at some point or another so I know there is at least some differing opinions.

For sure the Mavs favorable posts get the most likes and the thoughts that are less than sunshine pumping don’t get a lot of support, but I’ve found there are like minded people that just don’t show the support of those type of posts.

Surely you know that I am aware that different people have different opinions and it’s not one poster, though the site is dominated by about 10-15 posters.  However the tone and complete silence of any potential dissenters would lead one to believe that maybe there is a general agreement.  That or they just don’t want to get run over by the more vocal voices.  Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that our biases (IMO) cloud our judgement.  And it really rears it’s head around free agency and the TDL.

Edit:  I left the board because of the snarky comments of some posters, some of which are still here.  Having a dissenting opinion didn’t seem welcomed and I didn’t have the time or energy to mess with it.  I have remained a silent lurker and only chose to speak out now because I was getting frustrated that I wasn’t getting any value in following because iMO, it was becoming a non-creative echo chamber of hopelessness.  Which is a shame because there are so many knowledgeable folks here.  I don’t mean this to be harsh…just being honest with my opinion.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-06-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:26 PM)RDB Wrote: I respect others opinions, I just don’t agree on Maxi (or many of our other supposedly indispensable players).  Frankly, if we aren’t going far without the Maxi’s and Greens, we have far more issues than I believe we do.  I just don’t understand how people can spend so much time complaining about our depth and talent and continually say that we need to upgrade, yet when it comes time to do something, all of our players are indispensable unless he returns a stud.  Every time a proposal is made, folks say the other team wouldn’t do it because we don’t have the assets or it’s clearly one sided.  Our blue colored glasses have become fogged.

This board can also be a fickle group.  When Maxi was sucking hind tit at the end of the year, many were looking to bail.  He put together a few good scoring games and now he is indispensable.  Timmy was blasted until I believe his contract season, then we needed him, now we don’t again.  The SD trade was unpopular until he showed something and we fell in love.  When he strung together some poor playoff games, that love started to wane.  Now that Brunson has left, he is again indispensable.  We want others to give us the players we ask for because we love our boys but will complain when nothing gets done.  Maybe we just find our #2 using Timmy and DB and we should be finals bound Smile .

Edit:  One more point on the fickleness, don’t forget, there was a large number of folks on the board that didn’t like Reggie well past the mid point of last season.  Just go back and review posts.

In my mind, the purpose of trades are to improve fit.  A good trade is when both teams get better (at whatever it is they are trying to accomplish).  When you have players that are a very good fit on a team, there is generally not a good reason to trade them.  This team went to the WCF with a collection of players that you would not expect to go that far.  We traded our second most talented player for guys not nearly as talented and started winning at one of the highest rates in the NBA.  Folks talk about trading Timmy because he was struggling to fit in Kidd's system before the injury and was not part of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.  Folks are more hesitant to trade guys like Dorian, Bullock, Maxi and Dinwiddie because they are great fits on this team.  Unless you are swindling another team (not something this FO is particularly known for) you are likely not getting equal value sending those guys out due to fit.

This board is fickle like all fanbases are fickle.  Part of it is different voices on different topics, part of it is typical fan overreaction, and part of it is that we have had some wild swings in player performance.  There was reasonable trepidation on the Dinwiddie fit here, and that turned out to be significantly better than anticipated.  Bullock was absolutely terrible for the first two months of the season, but once he could hit the broad side of a barn, it became clear how good his fit is.  Maxi went through by far his worst stretch of his career towards the end of the season to the point he was almost unplayable, but he was vital in the playoffs.  There has been reason for some of the fickleness.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavsfan12 - 07-06-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:58 PM)RDB Wrote: Surely you know that I am aware that different people have different opinions and it’s not one poster, though the site is dominated by about 10-15 posters.  However the tone and complete silence of any potential dissenters would lead one to believe that maybe there is a general agreement.  That or they just don’t want to get run over by the more vocal voices.  Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that our biases (IMO) cloud our judgement.  And it really rears it’s head around free agency and the TDL.

Edit:  I left the board because of the snarky comments of some posters, some of which are still here.  Having a dissenting opinion didn’t seem welcomed and I didn’t have the time or energy to mess with it.  I have remained a silent lurker and only chose to speak out now because I was getting frustrated that I wasn’t getting any value in following because iMO, it was becoming a non-creative echo chamber of hopelessness.  Which is a shame because there are so many knowledgeable folks here.  I don’t mean this to be harsh…just being honest with my opinion.

While I am normally more positive, I don't view my thoughts as an echo chamber.  I say what I think and don't really care if I go against the grain a bit.  I am pretty consistent on my opinion that this team's weakness for most of the second half of the season was defense - and that was their ultimate downfall in the playoffs. I feel that Nico felt this way too from his comments on what they were looking for this offseason, and who they have acquired.

Offense will be improved this season because we are adding Wood and returning THJ.  Adding McGee was a really good start - he was the best available option for the money - a massive improvement over Powell.  That said, I still want to add 2 way players - and Maxi is definitely one of those guys.  So yeah, fit matters when you are looking to improve.  I don't care as much about adding offensive power at the cost of our defensive identity because I personally view that as our clearest pathway to ultimate success.  

I am a patient person as well.  I am ok with waiting until the right deal comes along and improve on the edges.  I already think that we are a better team going into this season than we were last season because I think having quality bigs means that much to this team.  Continuity is important.  Identity is important.  Add the players that build on that success and keep the guys that model that identity.  That is what long term successful teams do - ala Mia/Tor.  I want the league to know that the Mavs have a "type" like those teams do and have those guys envision playing with us.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavsfan12 - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 12:42 AM)mvossman Wrote: In my mind, the purpose of trades are to improve fit.  A good trade is when both teams get better (at whatever it is they are trying to accomplish).  When you have players that are a very good fit on a team, there is generally not a good reason to trade them.  This team went to the WCF with a collection of players that you would not expect to go that far.  We traded our second most talented player for guys not nearly as talented and started winning at one of the highest rates in the NBA.  Folks talk about trading Timmy because he was struggling to fit in Kidd's system before the injury and was not part of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.  Folks are more hesitant to trade guys like Dorian, Bullock, Maxi and Dinwiddie because they are great fits on this team.  Unless you are swindling another team (not something this FO is particularly known for) you are likely not getting equal value sending those guys out due to fit.

This board is fickle like all fanbases are fickle.  Part of it is different voices on different topics, part of it is typical fan overreaction, and part of it is that we have had some wild swings in player performance.  There was reasonable trepidation on the Dinwiddie fit here, and that turned out to be significantly better than anticipated.  Bullock was absolutely terrible for the first two months of the season, but once he could hit the broad side of a barn, it became clear how good his fit is.  Maxi went through by far his worst stretch of his career towards the end of the season to the point he was almost unplayable, but he was vital in the playoffs.  There has been reason for some of the fickleness.

Excellent post. I am still wary of SD, but I will root for him.  I think his early performance was well above his ability and that his later struggles are more who he is.  Im kind of opposite on my take fore Maxi.  I think his performance was well below his norm and think he was dealing with some physical ailments that contributed to his slump.  But he has a strong history from the prior 2 seasons of being a very good 3D big.  Furthermore, even when his shot had faltered, he was still bringing it on D. I view him as a super sub - a lower minute, high impact player.  I think he gets overused... because he is simply so valuable to the team.  Which is kind of my point when someone brings him up in trades.  He is simply worth more to the Mavs than what his trade value would be.  So... keep him!

One last thought for the night...

All of this discussion makes me more interested in obtaining Simmons (if we were to get one of the BKN guys).  If his back checks out, I think he is the most impactful long term with this team.  His defense, ball handling/distribution, and ability to get easy baskets would fill a lot of the remaining holes on this team.  He even fits the timeline.  I have enjoyed watching him play during his career and he has been a fierce competitor.  I feel that Kidd could get the most out of him and would weaponize him as a defensive ace.  He also is great at turning defense into offense - even when things slow down in the playoffs.  Dal has some fine shooters to compliment him and could play as the one non-shooter often.  Since he is a creator, that is fine.

So there.  Throwing my opinion into the universe.  I still doubt the Mavs will get one of them, but he's my pick to pursue.  (Again, if his back passes the medical review).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-06-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The fickleness of the board is because different people believe differently. If you read posts on here and think it’s all 1 person saying it, you’re doing it wrong. Also, there are tons of differing opinions for just about any topic. I myself have probably disagreed with every poster that posts on this board at some point or another so I know there is at least some differing opinions.

Good point. I'm one of those that my thoughts are less rah-rah and fist pumping everything positive about this team, so I get very few likes compared to the number of posts I've responded too and that's fine. Some guys get 4-6 likes everytime they post.  If I think they need to be called out, I will. I find most on here overvalue Dallas players thinking they are better than they really are ( with one obvious exception of course) because they're on the team they root for.  They had a very good very surprising season, and got further than anyone expected. But getting back there is the hard part, and I suspect the road will be a hell of a lot tougher next year, as teams are constently improving their rosters through the draft, trades and signing FA's.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 02:10 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I find most on here overvalue Dallas players thinking they are better than they really are ( with one obvious exception of course)

[Image: DFS_Profile.png]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 01:08 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: One last thought for the night...

All of this discussion makes me more interested in obtaining Simmons (if we were to get one of the BKN guys).  If his back checks out, I think he is the most impactful long term with this team.  His defense, ball handling/distribution, and ability to get easy baskets would fill a lot of the remaining holes on this team.  He even fits the timeline.  I have enjoyed watching him play during his career and he has been a fierce competitor.  I feel that Kidd could get the most out of him and would weaponize him as a defensive ace.  He also is great at turning defense into offense - even when things slow down in the playoffs.  Dal has some fine shooters to compliment him and could play as the one non-shooter often.  Since he is a creator, that is fine.

So there.  Throwing my opinion into the universe.  I still doubt the Mavs will get one of them, but he's my pick to pursue.  (Again, if his back passes the medical review).

His back could be fixed, maybe. His basketball mind? Never. You can't fix a guy who has no interest in getting better.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - ItsGoTime - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 02:20 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: DFS_Profile.png]
He’s still overrated by you and cow, per the conversation we had earlier in the season, but I am much more impressed with his performance this year and think…maybe he could be a starter on a championship roster ( Big Grin). If he improves that driving confidence, maybe he could be a third or fourth most important player on a championship roster!

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - omahen - 07-06-2022

Teams can start signing players to contracts today. I think we may finally found out if Brunson is a SnT or lost for nothing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 06:32 AM)omahen Wrote: Teams can start signing players to contracts today. I think we may finally found out if Brunson is a SnT or lost for nothing.

Yeah we´ll probably see another 48 hours span of moves around the league now and then everybody back to sleep again until the Durant/Irving issue is resolved.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-06-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:58 PM)RDB Wrote: Edit:  I left the board because of the snarky comments of some posters, some of which are still here.  Having a dissenting opinion didn’t seem welcomed and I didn’t have the time or energy to mess with it.  I have remained a silent lurker and only chose to speak out now because I was getting frustrated that I wasn’t getting any value in following because iMO, it was becoming a non-creative echo chamber of hopelessness.  Which is a shame because there are so many knowledgeable folks here.  I don’t mean this to be harsh…just being honest with my opinion.

Keep posting! Need your opinions!

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 02:10 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I find most on here overvalue Dallas players thinking they are better than they really are

It's weird to me. It is both overvaluing the current Mavs players while ALSO thinking the Mavs have "no assets" and therefore couldn't get into any trade conversations. It is bizarre. The supporting cast is way better than people think, the Mavs players are better assets than people think. YET they are not so good that they should be untouchable. It is truly confusing to me and feels like cognitive dissonance.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-06-2022

Tyler Dorsey?  Thoughts?   I am not very familiar with him.  He is a good shooter who played for a short term in the NBA for a while.   Do you think this is agent driven or is something there?

I would imagine this would possibly be an option if the Mavs did a 3 for 1 trade and in need of a shooter.   I have no idea if he can defend.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1544352668138831873