MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - omahen - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 12:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Sixers want to package Niang/Korkmaz/Thybulle/Joe for Gordon as a Wood-like consolidation trade. Rox need some kind of asset they care about for Thybulle.

Is that enough salary for Gordon (20 mil contract) while Philly stays under hard cap (they are right there if Harden signs for 20 mil? I am not sure in either.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - StepBackJay - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:23 PM)omahen Wrote: Is that enough salary for Gordon (20 mil contract) while Philly stays under hard cap (they are right there if Harden signs for 20 mil? I am not sure in either.

Good question I dunno but my guess is that it will be

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I love how every 2nd post of yours always comes around to trying to get players from the Orlando Magic

Are you saying there are no good players on bad teams?

CAREFUL. IT`S A TRAP. Big Grin

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:22 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: are you confident Mavs/Knicks will do a S&T?

Yes, very. 3-way, though. Failure to get that done would be an alarming degree of incompetence. It wouldn't surprise me if that deal expanded.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 04:04 PM)F Gump Wrote:  Failure to get that done would be an alarming degree of incompetence.

Mark Cuban right now.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Winter - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:12 PM)RDB Wrote: So in summary, when I ask if there are cases where a deal make sense and there may be benefits to realize with minimum risks, you response as the spokesperson is NO…move on.  Fair enough…I have no interest in messing with Mother Nature and Winter is my least favorite season.

That was a nice post, but you say "minimum risk" like it's a statistic. There is nothing objective about acquiring Irving other than the cost. We have no idea what the risks are... we just know there are some based on past history. 

Would you give up a first-round pick? I wouldn't. And I think the Mavs would be giving up that pick just to see him leave in a year. Maybe if you would outline what you would pay to acquire him, we could use that as a measuring stick of our discussion. 

Kyrie Irving is unpredictable. You're willing to take the chance that he brings a championship. I'm just not.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Jmaciscool - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 04:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yes, very. 3-way, though. Failure to get that done would be an alarming degree of incompetence. It wouldn't surprise me if that deal expanded.

Is that something that might come at a small cost to the Mavs to get the other teams to cooperate, or is it something that mutually benefits all three teams?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 04:10 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Is that something that might come at a small cost to the Mavs to get the other teams to cooperate, or is it something that mutually benefits all three teams?

At least both DAL and DET, but probably easy to be made a plus for all of them. Adding in a THJ-for-____ component with DET (as has been mentioned many times) is one thought, but it wouldn't take anything so significant.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - JamesConway912 - 07-04-2022

I really can’t see them entering the season without a third proven ballhandler. Right now there is a gigantic hole behind Doncic and Dinwiddie. There has to be some type of addition.

I’m pretty sure we’ll hear something on that front. They might drag it out just like they did with Ntilikina but something has to happen.

Afaik Dennis Schröder has not signed with anybody yet, he would be an option to me. Campazzo maybe too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-04-2022

I will be disappointed if the move off Hardaway without it being a clear upgrade in talent.   No need to continue to downgrade our talent.  

So I haven't paying too much attention on who can be attainable for the TPE.  I know typically those go unused.  So if we get a TPE and it is not used, I will just assume it will eventually not be used.  Question, How about Derrick Rose?   He has two more years left on his contract but only one is guaranteed.   Would you have any interest in him?

(07-04-2022, 05:22 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I will be disappointed if the move off Hardaway without it being a clear upgrade in talent.   No need to continue to downgrade our talent.  

So I haven't paying too much attention on who can be attainable for the TPE.  I know typically those go unused.  So if we get a TPE and it is not used, I will just assume it will eventually not be used.  Question, How about Derrick Rose?   He has two more years left on his contract but only one is guaranteed.   Would you have any interest in him?

I was not suggesting THJ outgoing just to turn the Brunson deal into SNT, but rather THJ-for-something as being able to make multiple teams happy.

Yes, a consequence of a SNT is usually a TPE but if you roll the use of the TPE into that same deal, it gets even better. One idea would be to route Burks to Dallas, for example, with the thinking that he is more of a 2-way player with a bit smaller contract, while DET - who has no money issues - gets THJ a better shooter and a bit bigger salary to pay.

And if you end with a TPE for later, if there are teams looking to shed a player here or there for one of the mega-trades being discussed, having a medium-to-large TPE can get you in the discussion of a place for someone to land. Joe Harris might be an example.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 05:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: I was not suggesting THJ outgoing just to turn the Brunson deal into SNT, but rather THJ-for-something as being able to make multiple teams happy.

Yes, a consequence of a SNT is usually a TPE but if you roll the use of the TPE into that same deal, it gets even better. One idea would be to route Burks to Dallas, for example, with the thinking that he is more of a 2-way player with a bit smaller contract, while DET - who has no money issues - gets THJ a better shooter and a bit bigger salary to pay.

And if you end with a TPE for later, if there are teams looking to shed a player here or there for one of the mega-trades being discussed, having a medium-to-large TPE can get you in the discussion of a place for someone to land. Joe Harris might be an example.

Thanks for the description.  I wasn't responding to you I just read some quick thoughts of Hardaway and just wanted to throw my opinion out.   I just feel like lets keep Tim unless it benefits us on the court.   We will see.

(07-04-2022, 05:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:   I just feel like lets keep Tim unless it benefits us on the court.

I would be very disappointed if this wasn't their thinking too.

But I do think THJ is a trade chip as they look for a 2-way wing and or offense-creator, because of the size of his salary while he didn't fit well in the Kidd system that depends on good-to-superior defense from the 2 wings.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - RDB - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 04:07 PM)Winter Wrote: That was a nice post, but you say "minimum risk" like it's a statistic. There is nothing objective about acquiring Irving other than the cost. We have no idea what the risks are... we just know there are some based on past history. 

Would you give up a first-round pick? I wouldn't. And I think the Mavs would be giving up that pick just to see him leave in a year. Maybe if you would outline what you would pay to acquire him, we could use that as a measuring stick of our discussion. 

Kyrie Irving is unpredictable. You're willing to take the chance that he brings a championship. I'm just not.

I’m not suggesting minimum risk is a statistic…it’s just difficult for me to define without a better understanding of what is on the table.  I threw it out there because he seemed to be a non starter on the board and I hoped it would spark a discussion around possibilities beyond the “just say no to flat earthers” theme.  I will say that I feel completely comfortable with the 1 year risk on Kyrie because I believe he has no choice but to be on his best behavior this year.

If you want more info on what I would risk with minimal info, here is a shot.  Would I give up a 1st?  I don’t think I would straight up.  Would I give up any/multiple of Timmy, Powell, DB, Maxi, or Green?  I would.  Would I go beyond that?  I need more info.  Personally I don’t feel like losing any of the players listed makes a material difference on our team other than maybe chemistry.  IMO, they are just average NBA players.  Is that enough to satisfy the Nets or beat a hypothetical Lakers offer?  I have no idea.

Also, part of my comfort with the risk is not big on many of the players I listed.  We have nailed down our 6th and 7th spots in spades but lack 2 quality starters.  We did an awesome job of churning the bottom of our roster for a quality big.  Not let’s try to churn our multiple 6th-7th types for either more quality or future flexibility.  If that means taking what I believe will be a well behaved Kyrie for a year, I’m in.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - sterlingmallory - 07-05-2022

Would anyone trade THJ, Bertans, and Powell straight up for Westbrook? I know Westbrook is a bad fit basketball-wise, but it's only for one year as he is expiring. Clearing out our three worst contracts all at once would be huge.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 12:01 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Would anyone trade THJ, Bertans, and Powell straight up for Westbrook?

No chance.

Give 1st round draft compensation and I will start to at least listen. But I wouldn't even begin to listen without 1st round draft compensation.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 12:01 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Would anyone trade THJ, Bertans, and Powell straight up for Westbrook?

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Smitty - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 12:01 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Would anyone trade THJ, Bertans, and Powell straight up for Westbrook? I know Westbrook is a bad fit basketball-wise, but it's only for one year as he is expiring. Clearing out our three worst contracts all at once would be huge.

Please don’t put this out there for Cuban to see…

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 12:01 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Would anyone trade THJ, Bertans, and Powell straight up for Westbrook? I know Westbrook is a bad fit basketball-wise, but it's only for one year as he is expiring. Clearing out our three worst contracts all at once would be huge.

Never in a million years.

We saw how Westbrook fit next to Lebron. Luka is in a similar mold. Taking on 48 million of dead cap for a player who won't play at all while simultaneously losing three guys that can play in any given game and fit worlds better than Westbrook ever will kills the deal for me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - sterlingmallory - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 12:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No chance.

Give 1st round draft compensation and I will start to at least listen. But I wouldn't even begin to listen without 1st round draft compensation.

Think about how much flexibility you'd gain by getting out from under THJ and Bertans contracts though. And honestly, Westbrook may be an inefficient chucker, but I'd still take him over Simmons or Kyrie. At least Westbrook wants to play basketball. Kyrie literally just blew up a franchise that had championship aspirations and Simmons is too scared of getting clowned on social media to even try to shoot.