MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-04-2022

https://twitter.com/krystenpeek/status/1543952594287988737?s=20&t=XYGHVCo7cEx96G96lyc9Mw

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - DanSchwartzgan - 07-04-2022

(07-03-2022, 09:49 AM)mvossman Wrote: In a vacuum I like that trade, but it makes less sense after the Wood move.  Harris makes sense paired with a traditional defensive center, but the Wood/Harris combination does not provide a lot of rim protection/defense.

Actually, I am really warming up to the Wood/Maxi pairing, and McGee makes that possible as the quality backup center.  Right now I think our focus should be on signing Dragic and wait until the TDL to make any more moves.  At that point we need to either trade or extend Wood, Powell has value as an expiring and hopefully we have built Timmy's value back up.

If you look at the roster with Dragic, it is good and deep.  Not contention worthy, but probably as good as last season and top 4 seed is a strong possibility.

Luka/Dragic/Hardy
Din/THJ/Frank
Bullock/DFS/Green
DFS/Maxi/Bertans
Wood/McGee/Powell

Took me a while to find this buried in all of the Brooklyn speculation.  To briefly address that, I could see anyone of the three stars there being a Dallas possibility and could be talked into any of them, but I'm hoping we steer clear of that mess.  KD is 34 coming off an Achilles injury.  We can match salary and send 25, 27 and 29 and have a competitive offer and a competitive team afterwards.  But, he's not likely to be playing here in 27 or 29 and I don't like trading picks past the useful life of the incoming player.  Kyrie is a very talented nut case.  Simmons would have much greater value at the TDL or next summer.  Brooklyn would be smart to hold onto him for now.

Back to Tobias...3/4th's of the board thinks I'm crazy for thinking Wood will play some time at PF.  If we add Harris (or Simmons for that matter), Wood is a full time center and you have McGee/Maxi backing up Wood/Harris.  Since three of those guys can shoot the 3, you can and probably would play any combination of Wood, Harris, Maxi and McGee.  We went to the WCF's with our C/PF combo being Powell/DFS.  It is hard to argue that Wood/Harris wouldn't be better (with DFS moving to the three).  Harris provides some shot creation taking some pressure off of losing Brunson without sacrificing size or defense.  Post the all-star break (after the Harden trade), Harris become more of a good role player (rather than a bad star).  He shot .400 from thre and Philly was +9.3 when he played.  He hit .386 on 3's in the playoffs at 16.9/7.6 and 2.9 assists.

You'd basically have highly mobile Wood and three guys who are basically the same size in Harris, DFS and Luka.  You'd add someone to defend the point of attack (Bullock) and you are good to go.  Dinwiddie backs up the point as the sixth man.  Thybulle backs up DFS and Bullock at the wing.  I wonder if there is a way to include Springer as a third PG (or McBride as part of a JB S&T).  Maybe that is why we didn't get Dragic.  Put me in the camp that there is something going where we get back an extra player who can play point in whatever else is going on.

Philly sets up well for this.  They have extra guys in Niang, Milsap and Reed at the four with the addition of Tucker.  They need shooting and have a pretty obvious opening at the 3 if Thybulle is gone.  They need a backup C.  I think I can make more sense of this than the Brooklyn deals.  Also, Harris expires a year earlier than Hardaway if we are working toward cap room in 24/25

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-04-2022

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1543987789347241984

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - mvossman - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 10:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Took me a while to find this buried in all of the Brooklyn speculation.  To briefly address that, I could see anyone of the three stars there being a Dallas possibility and could be talked into any of them, but I'm hoping we steer clear of that mess.  KD is 34 coming off an Achilles injury.  We can match salary and send 25, 27 and 29 and have a competitive offer and a competitive team afterwards.  But, he's not likely to be playing here in 27 or 29 and I don't like trading picks past the useful life of the incoming player.  Kyrie is a very talented nut case.  Simmons would have much greater value at the TDL or next summer.  Brooklyn would be smart to hold onto him for now.

Back to Tobias...3/4th's of the board thinks I'm crazy for thinking Wood will play some time at PF.  If we add Harris (or Simmons for that matter), Wood is a full time center and you have McGee/Maxi backing up Wood/Harris.  Since three of those guys can shoot the 3, you can and probably would play any combination of Wood, Harris, Maxi and McGee.  We went to the WCF's with our C/PF combo being Powell/DFS.  It is hard to argue that Wood/Harris wouldn't be better (with DFS moving to the three).  Harris provides some shot creation taking some pressure off of losing Brunson without sacrificing size or defense.  Post the all-star break (after the Harden trade), Harris become more of a good role player (rather than a bad star).  He shot .400 from thre and Philly was +9.3 when he played.  He hit .386 on 3's in the playoffs at 16.9/7.6 and 2.9 assists.

You'd basically have highly mobile Wood and three guys who are basically the same size in Harris, DFS and Luka.  You'd add someone to defend the point of attack (Bullock) and you are good to go.  Dinwiddie backs up the point as the sixth man.  Thybulle backs up DFS and Bullock at the wing.  I wonder if there is a way to include Springer as a third PG (or McBride as part of a JB S&T).  Maybe that is why we didn't get Dragic.  Put me in the camp that there is something going where we get back an extra player who can play point in whatever else is going on.

Philly sets up well for this.  They have extra guys in Niang, Milsap and Reed at the four with the addition of Tucker.  They need shooting and have a pretty obvious opening at the 3 if Thybulle is gone.  They need a backup C.  I think I can make more sense of this than the Brooklyn deals.  Also, Harris expires a year earlier than Hardaway if we are working toward cap room in 24/25

Now that we completely shit the bed on Dragic, I am much more open to this trade.  Harris does fill a lot of the creation/playmaking holes that we lost with Brunson, and I don't see another option to address that.  

I'm not a fan of the Wood/McGee pairing, but I do like the Wood/Maxi pairing which I would consider Maxi the 5 in that case.  In fact, I like any combination of Wood/Maxi/Harris.  McGee makes sense from the standpoint of Powell outgoing, but I see him as more situational, especially in the playoffs.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - StepBackJay - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 08:20 AM)omahen Wrote: I think the deals can become official on 6th of July. So if Brunson signs with NY then, it is not SnT.

They could also announce, that Brunsons trade is a SnT. While possible, I don't think other parties involved would be willing for Mavs to find partners and expand the deal. That should be done before July 6th, imho. So unless Mavs find something until then, the SnT will be finished and Mavs will only receive the trade exception around 14 mil. 

Beverly is an interesting target as a stop gap solution, if Mavs don't find the big move they are looking for. He would help us more than Powell and he is same expiring contract, so I would do it. It would cost an asset to get him, though. I don't think Utah would have much motivation to just exchange him for Powell. Although, they could use a center now.

PatBev would be good to me as another perimeter defender that you can play in the playoffs. Luka wears him out but then that is what Luka does, there aren't a lot of guys like Luka that can play PatBev off the floor so quickly.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - DanSchwartzgan - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 11:28 AM)mvossman Wrote: Now that we completely shit the bed on Dragic, I am much more open to this trade.  Harris does fill a lot of the creation/playmaking holes that we lost with Brunson, and I don't see another option to address that.  

I'm not a fan of the Wood/McGee pairing, but I do like the Wood/Maxi pairing which I would consider Maxi the 5 in that case.  In fact, I like any combination of Wood/Maxi/Harris.  McGee makes sense from the standpoint of Powell outgoing, but I see him as more situational, especially in the playoffs.

Yeah, McGee soaks up some minutes in the regular season, takes on bigger centers for a few minutes a game.  Plays PnR with Luka for a bit of a stretch each half.  Maxi hasn't proven he can play big minutes and stay healthy.  96 minutes between the four of them (where McGee gets his usual 16, Maxi gets 20-22 and Wood and Harris get 28-30) makes sense to me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 11:28 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: PatBev would be good to me as another perimeter defender that you can play in the playoffs. Luka wears him out but then that is what Luka does, there aren't a lot of guys like Luka that can play PatBev off the floor so quickly.

Beverly would make sense, but I agree that we likely can't just swap Powell for him.  Not sure what else makes sense.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - mvossman - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 11:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, McGee soaks up some minutes in the regular season, takes on bigger centers for a few minutes a game.  Plays PnR with Luka for a bit of a stretch each half.  Maxi hasn't proven he can play big minutes and stay healthy.  96 minutes between the four of them (where McGee gets his usual 16, Maxi gets 20-22 and Wood and Harris get 28-30) makes sense to me.

That means Dorian is playing all his minutes at the 3.  If you think Dorian, Bullock Thybulle split most of the minutes at the 3 and 2, there are not many left for Din, let alone Green and Frank.  Guess that's a good problem to have.

(07-04-2022, 11:39 AM)mvossman Wrote: That means Dorian is playing all his minutes at the 3.  If you think Dorian, Bullock Thybulle split most of the minutes at the 3 and 2, there are not many left for Din, let alone Green and Frank.  Guess that's a good problem to have.

Green went out in the Thybulle deal (Powell and THJ only match Harris.  You have to send someone else out).  

If Luka eats 34 minutes, there are 14 at PG for SD and he probably eats about 12 at wing.  That leaves an average of 28 for DFS, Bullock and Thybulle if DFS doesn't get any minutes at the four.  I think a little overlap is a good thing, but something like this explains why Dragic wouldn't sign up to "play" here.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - StepBackJay - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 11:35 AM)mvossman Wrote: Beverly would make sense, but I agree that we likely can't just swap Powell for him.  Not sure what else makes sense.

I think Mavs are looking for a true switchable wing. PatBev is probably lower on their priority list. I could see them trying like Frank + Powell (plus a 2nd?) for PatBev if they think PatBev is a more playable version of Frank.

PatBev is still too small to switch 1-4 consistently.

The Thybulle thing is still in play if Mavs can send Rox an asset they care about.

Sixers want to package Niang/Korkmaz/Thybulle/Joe for Gordon as a Wood-like consolidation trade. Rox need some kind of asset they care about for Thybulle.

Mavs need to produce said asset to get Thybulle.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 12:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Thybulle thing is still in play if Mavs can send Rox an asset they care about.

Sixers want to package Niang/Korkmaz/Thybulle/Joe for Gordon as a Wood-like consolidation trade. Rox need some kind of asset they care about for Thybulle.

Mavs need to produce said asset to get Thybulle.

With all the picks and the Wood 4-for-1 already, that's gonna land the Rox at about eleventy gajillion players on the roster.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 10:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Took me a while to find this buried in all of the Brooklyn speculation.  To briefly address that, I could see anyone of the three stars there being a Dallas possibility and could be talked into any of them, but I'm hoping we steer clear of that mess.  KD is 34 coming off an Achilles injury.  We can match salary and send 25, 27 and 29 and have a competitive offer and a competitive team afterwards.  But, he's not likely to be playing here in 27 or 29 and I don't like trading picks past the useful life of the incoming player.  Kyrie is a very talented nut case.  Simmons would have much greater value at the TDL or next summer.  Brooklyn would be smart to hold onto him for now.

I agree that this is the most sensible trade idea that’s been brought up here. Count me in the yes column on adding Harris/Thybulle.

(07-04-2022, 01:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: With all the picks and the Wood 4-for-1 already, that's gonna land the Rox at about eleventy gajillion players on the roster.

Right so they would rather find landing spots for those guys vs having to buy out a bunch of players

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 11:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, McGee soaks up some minutes in the regular season, takes on bigger centers for a few minutes a game.  Plays PnR with Luka for a bit of a stretch each half.  Maxi hasn't proven he can play big minutes and stay healthy.  96 minutes between the four of them (where McGee gets his usual 16, Maxi gets 20-22 and Wood and Harris get 28-30) makes sense to me.

I would love the McGee signing if Powell is outgoing in a trade. McGee at ~6M > Powell at 11M

(07-04-2022, 01:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: With all the picks and the Wood 4-for-1 already, that's gonna land the Rox at about eleventy gajillion players on the roster.

Ideally for the Mavs they create a TPE at some point to absorb 2 of the guys in a 4-1 Rox/Sixers swap and then also send a 2nd round pick to Rockets, leaving Rox only needing to waive 1 guy, maybe a minimum guy.

So for example Mavs take Thybulle + Korkmaz into a 11 mil TPE or something. It's too bad imo that Powell and Green are both likely negative assets.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - RDB - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 07:39 AM)Winter Wrote: Well there you have it. A lot of people correctly look at his past and think he's a complete moron. A large section of this board think Kyrie Irving will bring nothing but drama and won't play enough to make a difference. So why bother with his acquisition for a year? You think he would stay here when he's up for Free Agency?

Since it looks like you have taken on the role of the anti-Kyrie team spokesperson, I’ll try to summarize your thoughts as I understand them.  My read is that the flock has determined that Kyrie is a moron (I’m with you so far).  From there, the logic is that because he a moron, the fact that he is in the final year of a contract AND may be nearing the signing of his last major contract AND is coming off of a season where the visuals have left many leery of any type of commitment (I.e. here is a legit SUPERSTAR who is seeing almost no trade value), his moronic past means his final contract year will just be a continuation of his past.  This is where you lost me…but that’s ok, disagreement can’t be healthy.  I just don’t think he will let anything get in the way of his money.  I assume your last question was a throw away…I answered it in literally both posts.      Edit:  I added an edit because I shouldn’t  assume stating my position twice means it will be comprehended.  

My position is:
I would be heavily exploring Kyrie Irving for the final year for the right price.  What is the exact price?  Don’t know but it is encouraging that there doesn’t seem to be a line forming.  Who would I put on the table?  Any of our meh/look out the window players (Timmy, DB, Powell, Maxi, JG).  I like our boys but not nearly as much as some on this site.

If I could get off the contracts of some meh players while having a chance test drive a legit 2 star combo to get more clarity of future possibilities, sign me up. 

So in summary, when I ask if there are cases where a deal make sense and there may be benefits to realize with minimum risks, you response as the spokesperson is NO…move on.  Fair enough…I have no interest in messing with Mother Nature and Winter is my least favorite season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 06:08 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think the most likely outcome, even if I sound like a Mickey Mouse fetishist, is that the Mavs acquire Harris/Bamba as soon as Bamba becomes trade-eligible on Dec. 15th. THJ for Harris/Bamba.

I love how every 2nd post of yours always comes around to trying to get players from the Orlando Magic

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:12 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ideally for the Mavs they create a TPE at some point to absorb 2 of the guys in a 4-1 Rox/Sixers swap and then also send a 2nd round pick to Rockets, leaving Rox only needing to waive 1 guy, maybe a minimum guy.

So for example Mavs take Thybulle + Korkmaz into a 11 mil TPE or something. It's too bad imo that Powell and Green are both likely negative assets.

Yeah I was just commenting on the Rox already-bloated roster.

If the Mavs want a random low-salaried player who is considered dispensible by another team, that should be easy. Depending on the broader parameters of who and why, it might even get rolled into the Brunson deal, but in simplest form the Mavs will have in hand a decent-sized TPE to use for such pursuits.

(07-04-2022, 01:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yeah I was just commenting on the Rox already-bloated roster.

If the Mavs want a random low-salaried player who is considered dispensible by another team, that should be easy. Depending on the broader parameters of who and why, it might even get rolled into the Brunson deal, but in simplest form the Mavs will have in hand a decent-sized TPE to use for such pursuits.

are you confident Mavs/Knicks will do a S&T?