MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - sterlingmallory - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:55 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Riiiiiiight, because it's not like Cubes hasn't already punted on a season after winning an actual championship or anything.

Dodgy

I could actually see him using a similar line of thought to rationalize a mini tear down of this team. Oh that WCF team was just lightning in a bottle like the championship team.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It hasn't happened yet. Personally, I find the idea that the Mavs would willingly put a non-shooting, ball dominant guard next to Luka ridiculous, so I highly doubt this option is in play.

So no Simmons then, right?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 04:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: So no Simmons then, right?

I don’t view him as a guard.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - mvossman - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 04:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t view him as a guard.

He is a ball dominate non shooting wing.  Not sure that is much better.  He does not rim run or protect the rim.  Don't see the fit.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - MrGoat - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 04:19 PM)mvossman Wrote: He is a ball dominate non shooting wing.  Not sure that is much better.  He does not rim run or protect the rim.  Don't see the fit.

I'd take Kyrie over Simmons just for contract length alone. With Kyrie if it doesn't work we have an out. Simmons has years remaining on that contract

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - KillerLeft - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 04:19 PM)mvossman Wrote: He is a ball dominate non shooting wing.  Not sure that is much better.  He does not rim run or protect the rim.  Don't see the fit.

He is the best switch defender in the NBA, this side of Giannis. In the same league, imo. 

And, I flatly disagree about his value as a screener.

It would give them a way to play at a faster pace, particularly in transition, which is not Luka’s strongest area (This one is true of Westbrook, too, I admit). 

I’m not saying there isn’t a risk, or that it’s a slam dunk of a fit, but in his case, for ME, the potential good is worth the risk.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavsfan12 - 07-03-2022

Trying to see evidence that Simmons couldn't be a rim runner.  He hasn't been asked to do it, and with Embiid, the knock was always that they operated in the same spaces.  With his crazy athleticism and BBIQ, I think a Luka/Simmons PnR would be pretty devastating with either player able to score/pass out of the myriad of options that play presents.  The problem is that both guys are being guarded by similar defender types in most likelyhood, so that takes a little of the advantage away.  But it isn't like it is the only option.  Simmons around the rim brings good things though - whether him scoring, or him making good decisions passing.  

Taking out the mental issues, I could see good things basketball-wise with either KI or BS.  Hard to see us having the juice to acquire either though.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-03-2022

On a serious note, I have next to no hope that we'll land a star.  Given how our front office has traditionally operated and our bare cupboard, you aren't getting a star that doesn't come with a wart or twenty.   It always funny how we come up with these pie-in-the-sky trade ideas and when certain players are seemingly available, we nitpick them to death.  The perfect player isn't going to walk through our door and we are far away from having the assets available to be overly picky.  Look at how expensive Gobert was and he certainly has warts.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-03-2022

Simmons is as good at rim-running as I am

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavsfan12 - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:45 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I love how you said lets go back to sensibility and immediately opened up "Now onto Jonathan Isaac" 

https://tenor.com/view/laughing-steve-harvey-oh-really-chuckle-giggle-gif-16170947

Isaac has a case to be made that he's a mix of the worst qualities of Kyrie and Simmons. Dude has played in less games than either of them by a mile. He also doesn't really seem to be in a rush to get back to the NBA, you know given his book deal. 

Now don't get me wrong, to each his own. Isaac is a man of strong faith and I respect that, but we're looking for basketball players, not pastors. I don't think Isaac should be a risk the Mavs should want to take, at least not any more than Kyrie and Simmons.

You can disagree with acquiring Isaac on medical fitness.  That is why he would be available.  That other stuff is junk that I am not buying and it is kind of despicable that it would be an issue.  Dude writes books in his spare time.  Non issue.  By all accounts, he is a high character man and excellent basketball player.  As for his injury, his contract takes that into consideration.  My post discussed all of that, and how I would be willing to trade THJ/Powell for Harris, (who's defensive profile while still being able to spread the floor makes him a better fit, imo), and the possibility of Isaac returning to form (or dust as his contract becomes unguaranteed).  His play was worth the risk, imo.  It also is reasonable that a trade like that could happen - unlike discussion of Durant.  That said, we are operating in a post-Dragic decision environment and we need a distributor.  So do most other teams.  Makes it tough to dwell on potential when that reality is staring you in the face.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - sterlingmallory - 07-03-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1543727121058725889?s=20&t=9oqFUyiHZwHRyElJb_u9bg

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-03-2022

@"KillerLeft" look like FN is your third creator! Smile Smile Smile

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 05:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"KillerLeft" look like FN is your third creator! Smile Smile Smile

Is passes thrown that are tipped a kept stat?  Seems like that happens to Frank a lot.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Next bit of news, McGee backs out of the Mavs deal and signs with Bucks. Cited reason because Mavs came back on their offer to try and fit Hardy in along with him.

McGee is not taking MIL minimum instead of Mavs MLE. He also wants to play in the Kidd/Dudley orbit.

(07-03-2022, 05:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"KillerLeft" look like FN is your third creator! Smile Smile Smile

Glad he’s back! 

He’s 100% not a creator.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-03-2022

Seems it´s time for Strandedonntilikinaisland to make another good life decision today, since....

Quote:
Quote:Mavs2021

So let´s say Dragic doesn´t sign here for the minimum, since I am not very optimistic this happens. *queue your jokes* [Image: tongue.png]

I´m always wondering how much that is actually a Slovenian summer press(ure) thing. They probably get asked all the time during national team duty and what are they supposed to say?  [Image: confused.png]

Anyway we´ll need a 3rd playmaker.

The main younger options, whose services are probably not longer required by their teams are Sexton and White.

Unfortunately both these teams would be most interested in a wing like DFS, Bullock or Kleber, so that´s very unlikely to happen.

Now we enter draft capital compensation talks with Powell + X.

How much are you willing to give up. I´d draw the line at two seconds + $6M. Both would be a good upside gamble.

If neither Sexton/White, then I think a very interesting option could be Walker/Diallo.

It gives us two expiring contracts and fixes two open roster spots: back-up PG/3rd play-maker in Walker + defensive guard/wing in Diallo. Furthermore they are guys you can likely extend on very team friendly terms, if you wish.

....somebody was right again about the Mavs. Cry

You may choose now between the predictions that the Mavs will do

a) Kyrie by overpaying two 1st round picks to outbid the Lakers
b) offer either the Bulls or Cavs a first round pick for Sexton/White
c) THJ for Kemba/Diallo

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Winter - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 06:10 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: a) Kyrie by overpaying two 1st round picks to outbid the Lakers
c) THJ for Kemba/Diallo

At this point, Front Office reputations are on the line. All of the above options would suggest a failure somewhere else.

For that reason, I tend to think there are still players we have yet to hear about or thought about. It's of course entirely possible to have this kind of epic failure. I wouldn't put it past the Mavericks. But I hope for Nico's sake that something more positive is on the horizon.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-03-2022

I’ve always seen Ntilikina as more of a peninsula.

My prediction is that Cuban is waiting for the super team that no one is paying attention to to collapse and once Micic gets traded to Milwaukee and breaks his contract with Anadolu Efes, Beaubois will naturally force his way out and our prodigal son will become our third playmaker.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Scott41theMavs - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 06:10 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: a) Kyrie by overpaying two 1st round picks to outbid the Lakers

via GIPHY

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 06:10 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Seems it´s time for Strandedonntilikinaisland to make another good life decision today, since....

....somebody was right again about the Mavs. Cry

You may choose now between the predictions that the Mavs will do

a) Kyrie by overpaying two 1st round picks to outbid the Lakers
c) THJ for Kemba/Diallo

Detroit bought Kemba out. Cubes can get him if he wants to. Diallo's contract was picked up, he's not going anywhere unless they decide to trade him.