MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - cow - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:34 AM)F Gump Wrote: No, you got it backwards. You were saying BKN prefers to keep Harris and wants to send out Curry, because Harris is a better defender.

No.  I know the Lakers want Curry and BKN prefers to send Harris.  It's not the clearest phrasing but "sending out Curry over Harris" is what they are quibbling about and doesn't assign either player to either team's desire.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-03-2022

You wrote this:
Bertans seems unlikely.  They've been quibbling with Lakers over sending out Curry over Harris.  They are trying to win after all and their defense was already abysmal.  Having a stable of 3 and no D guys seems far fetched.

That sounds to me like you were saying they don't want players whose best skill is offense, not defense, but I'll take your word for it that's not what you meant.

In any event, I think THJ-DB or THJ-DB-Powell would make a lot of sense, and might be enough. I think the Nets could see value there. I don't assume they'll do better. I don't think a higher price that takes a core Mavs player is all that enticing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:42 AM)F Gump Wrote: You wrote this:
Bertans seems unlikely.  They've been quibbling with Lakers over sending out Curry over Harris.  They are trying to win after all and their defense was already abysmal.  Having a stable of 3 and no D guys seems far fetched.

That sounds to me like you were saying they don't want players whose best skill is offense, not defense, but I'll take your word for it that's not what you meant.

In any event, I think THJ-DB or THJ-DB-Powell would make a lot of sense, and might be enough. I think the Nets could see value there. I don't assume they'll do better. I don't think a higher price that takes a core Mavs player is all that enticing.

Not what I'm saying.  The Lakers prefer one 3&ND guy (Curry) over the other (Harris).  I'd assume that is because Seth's contract is less than half of what Joe make and expires sooner.  Why I don't think the Nets would want both THJ and Bertans is because they already have Curry and Harris.  Further, THJ and Bertans would be harder to flip due to each having three years left on their contracts.  It's no secret that the Nets have been trying to move Harris (even before the Kyrie/KD fallout) so I have a hard time imagining they'd want two guys with a similar skillset and on less than favorable contracts.

If I were the Nets, I'd prefer Westbrook just to get the whole Kyrie ordeal behind me sooner.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavsfan12 - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:42 AM)F Gump Wrote: You wrote this:

A motivated Kyrie could be amazing.  While risky, I would certainly rather have him here than on a competitor in the WC.  He would certainly be motivated with the Lakers, and he is young enough that he and AD could keep the Lakers as a threat well after LeBron is done.  I'd kinda like to see them die when LeBron leaves them.  That's just me. I want to see WB's contract expire and them have few ways to get another star there.  Then watch AD demand a trade.  I want to see them burn. F 'em.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - ThisIStheYear - 07-03-2022

If Kyrie truly wants to come to Dallas, I’d definitely include SD in the trade.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - sterlingmallory - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:58 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: A motivated Kyrie could be amazing.  While risky, I would certainly rather have him here than on a competitor in the WC.  He would certainly be motivated with the Lakers, and he is young enough that he and AD could keep the Lakers as a threat well after LeBron is done.  I'd kinda like to see them die when LeBron leaves them.  That's just me. I want to see WB's contract expire and them have few ways to get another star there.  Then watch AD demand a trade.  I want to see them burn. F 'em.

Motivated Kyrie doesn't exist. He's not going to change his personality when he changes teams. He's toxic. Pass.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - SleepingHero - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:34 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Can we revisit this extremely sensible trade idea that was being discussed before the train went off the tracks into Irving, Simmons, and hell, even Westbrook!   Haha.

I love how you said lets go back to sensibility and immediately opened up "Now onto Jonathan Isaac" 

https://tenor.com/view/laughing-steve-harvey-oh-really-chuckle-giggle-gif-16170947

Isaac has a case to be made that he's a mix of the worst qualities of Kyrie and Simmons. Dude has played in less games than either of them by a mile. He also doesn't really seem to be in a rush to get back to the NBA, you know given his book deal. 

Now don't get me wrong, to each his own. Isaac is a man of strong faith and I respect that, but we're looking for basketball players, not pastors. I don't think Isaac should be a risk the Mavs should want to take, at least not any more than Kyrie and Simmons.

(07-03-2022, 01:39 AM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Motivated Kyrie doesn't exist. He's not going to change his personality when he changes teams. He's toxic. Pass.

Is Kyrie toxic? Yes. Probably the GOAT in terms of franchise killer. 

BUT he has already come out and said he's ready to prove everyone wrong and show that he's worth a max contract. If there's one thing that could motivate Kyrie, is his stubbornness and desire to be correct/prove everyone wrong. Also a max contract on the line doesn't hurt either.

I'd argue this is probably the ONLY time it makes sense to ever get Kyrie on your team, mostly because his price will never be lower, and he'll never have more of an incentive right now to quit his shenanigans for at least 11 months.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:45 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I love how you said lets go back to sensibility and immediately opened up "Now onto Jonathan Isaac" 

https://tenor.com/view/laughing-steve-harvey-oh-really-chuckle-giggle-gif-16170947

Isaac has a case to be made that he's a mix of the worst qualities of Kyrie and Simmons. Dude has played in less games than either of them by a mile. He also doesn't really seem to be in a rush to get back to the NBA, you know given his book deal. 

Now don't get me wrong, to each his own. Isaac is a man of strong faith and I respect that, but we're looking for basketball players, not pastors. I don't think Isaac should be a risk the Mavs should want to take, at least not any more than Kyrie and Simmons.

Is Kyrie toxic? Yes. Probably the GOAT in terms of franchise killer. 

BUT he has already come out and said he's ready to prove everyone wrong and show that he's worth a max contract. If there's one thing that could motivate Kyrie, is his stubbornness and desire to be correct/prove everyone wrong. Also a max contract on the line doesn't hurt either.

I'd argue this is probably the ONLY time it makes sense to ever get Kyrie on your team, mostly because his price will never be lower, and he'll never have more of an incentive right now to quit his shenanigans for at least 11 months.

[Image: EhdCvcMVoAAZjpt.jpg:large]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-03-2022

The funny part about how garbage Westbrook is, that if you run Lakers 4-man line-ups (>40 minutes played) in the top 6 line-ups Westbrook is featured five times, LeBron twice, AD once. Also Horton-Tucker features a lot there, too.

If you take the best three man-line-up it´s where it gets really interesting (> 80 minutes played). Westbrook is in just two line-ups, but LeBron is in only one line-up (and that one includes Westbrook).

Monk/THT have by far the highest representaton in those line-ups. Now they obviously play against a different level of opposition, but this team reminds me of the old-ass Mavs teams, when Carlisle due to injuries was forced to play rookies Powell/Anderson and they made positive overall contributions to team results with energy alone and nothing else.

LeBron is chasing Kareem´s all-time scoring record to score some points against MJ in the GOAT debate.

The best part about all the hypothetical Westbrook trades is that the Mavs need to include Dinwiddie + Bertans or THJ + X just to make the salaries match. Irving is a little easier to match, which means they´d like ask for Dinwiddie + Kleber or Bullock.

We get rid of all the bad contracts, which if you remember was THE WHOLE POINT of the Porzingis trade. The argument was two small bad contracts > one big bad contract. Then turn bad contracts into expiring contracts to clean up the mess.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 04:45 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: We get rid of all the bad contracts, which if you remember was THE WHOLE POINT of the Porzingis trade. The argument was two small bad contracts > one big bad contract. Then turn bad contracts into expiring contracts to clean up the mess.

Agreed but Westbrook would be punting the season away.  Irving gives you a shot but has a possibility of being a punt too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Mavs2021 - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 04:50 AM)cow Wrote: Agreed but Westbrook would be punting the season away.  Irving gives you a shot but has a possibility of being a punt too.

I think Westbrook is actually the bigger on-court problem for next year, but not like people think.

Irving plays well next year, you have a long-term stud. (ignoring the legit future behaviour arguments aftr extension for a moment)

Irving goes full no vax/flat-earther mode, he does not play at all and you are almost guaranteed to keep your top 10 protected pick in allegedly the best draft in ages.

Westbrook on the other hand will play and play hard. 18th months ago he single-handedly dragged the Wizards into the play-offs.

I don´t think you can put a line-up around Doncic, Westbrook, DFS, Bullock, Kleber that finishes within our bottom ten protection.

Especially when your genius owner refuses to tank. He would literally rather lose in the play-in/1st round instead of a chance to draft a future All-Star partner for Luka that could not only secure his long-term services, but be the foundation for a dynasty.

Or since Cuban hates young players so much, the damn trade asset you need to acquire a 2nd star. That´s the part that I simply cannot wrap my head around. You do not need to keep the lottery pick. You can trade it for an All-Star, especially when people project half a dozen potential superstars in the 2023 draft class.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Winter - 07-03-2022

When is the last time Kyrie was not a problem in the lockeroom?

He left a championship team in Cleveland in 2016-2017 and has generally been an annoying headline in both Boston and Brooklyn. Neither won a championship. So the last 5 years, he's an issue. And what if Covid rears its ugly head again? 

Does anyone really think this is a gift to Doncic?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Kammrath - 07-03-2022

[Image: FWuX_YqVEAAfZy-?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - DanSchwartzgan - 07-03-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:00 PM)F Gump Wrote:  
3 He then segued from Powell not being here, into his trade thoughts -- "but I suspect they're gearing up to make a big trade" -- and recited the expiring contracts, mentioning Powell again, then Wood as of Aug 23, then Kleber. Then mentioning THJ too. His point sounded like showing they have big pieces they can trade, then "so they're gearing up to make another trade, 

If you exempt Wood and Maxi from the outgoing and look at money matches for Powell/THJ, you end up with Powell/THJ/Green for T. Harris/Thybulle.  The reason it isn't done is Philly is still working out details with Harden.  They've already announced Tucker for the MLE, so they have to have a way to save some money.  Maybe Harden plays nice and they are fine.  Maybe he doesn't and Philly needs a money saving deal.  

Starters:        Wood/Harris/DFS/Bullock/Luka

Main Bench:   McGee/Maxi/Thybulle/Dinwiddie

Deep Bench:  Bertans/Frank/Hardy/Dragic

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - ThisIStheYear - 07-03-2022

Westbrook is completely worthless now. A motivated Kyrie is potentially an efficient 30 point per night scorer.  That trade would be a joke, like a fix is in kind of thing.  The Lakers would probably vault to a title.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 06:37 AM)Winter Wrote: When is the last time Kyrie was not a problem in the lockeroom?

He left a championship team in Cleveland in 2016-2017 and has generally been an annoying headline in both Boston and Brooklyn. Neither won a championship. So the last 5 years, he's an issue. And what if Covid rears its ugly head again? 

Does anyone really think this is a gift to Doncic?

Yeah, I can't get there with Kyrie.   You spend some time watching his highlights and you can imagine how scary he could be on a team playing 5 out.   If you think Jalen was good at this (and he was), Kyrie brings it to another level.

But it is all the rest of the stuff.  Teammates tend to like him.  But he squandered a really good opportunity with a up and coming Boston team.   Then the last few years in Brooklyn.   My biggest concern is how he would react to playing her and having Luka have the ball the majority of the time.   I could see that going badly.    

So, fabulous player.   I can see him working out here, but the odds are not in that favor.  One benefit is Kyrie views him being a part of the ownership/front office and we may need some help there.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Chicagojk - 07-03-2022

So I wonder what the plan is if Dragic does not come?   I assume there is a strong likelihood he does eventually sign here.   If not, the Mavs would have a huge need for a third creating guard who can play significant minutes in a playoff series.  Dinwiddie past injury history concerns needs to be factored in as well.  I guess you could say there could be a few trades with the names we have heard.   But if Dragic doesn't come, we still need another wing plus a third creating guard with limited assets.  

Maybe he takes the minimum, but wouldn't a veteran team offer him more?  Sure he has made a ton, but you never have enough money.    No one does.   It will be interesting to see what happens there.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - Branduil - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 07:09 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Westbrook is completely worthless now. A motivated Kyrie is potentially an efficient 30 point per night scorer.  That trade would be a joke, like a fix is in kind of thing.  The Lakers would probably vault to a title.

I understand why the Lakers would do it, but counting on 38-year-old Lebron and AD to stay healthy, Kyrie Irving to stay focused, and a skeleton crew of minimum salary guys to win a title is faaaaaaaaaar from a sure thing.

(07-03-2022, 07:35 AM)Branduil Wrote: I understand why the Lakers would do it, but counting on 38-year-old Lebron and AD to stay healthy, Kyrie Irving to stay focused, and a skeleton crew of minimum salary guys to win a title is faaaaaaaaaar from a sure thing.

I agree...a lot needs to go right.  But the Lakers are desperate right now.   They are just dead in the water right now with Westbrook.  Who knows how much longer they have with Lebron (both with age and upcoming FA).   You can smell the desperation with them.

Dallas is not at that level of desperation.   But lets revisit that in 18 months.

(07-03-2022, 07:35 AM)Branduil Wrote: I understand why the Lakers would do it, but counting on 38-year-old Lebron and AD to stay healthy, Kyrie Irving to stay focused, and a skeleton crew of minimum salary guys to win a title is faaaaaaaaaar from a sure thing.

I agree...a lot needs to go right.  But the Lakers are desperate right now.   They are just dead in the water right now with Westbrook.  Who knows how much longer they have with Lebron (both with age and upcoming FA).   You can smell the desperation with them.

Dallas is not at that level of desperation.   But lets revisit that in 18 months.

(07-03-2022, 07:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree...a lot needs to go right.  But the Lakers are desperate right now.   They are just dead in the water right now with Westbrook.  Who knows how much longer they have with Lebron (both with age and upcoming FA).   You can smell the desperation with them.

We should be far more desperate than the Lakers. We are tying to avoid a nuclear bomb going off in about 24 months and killing a potentially beautiful world.

The Lakers are already a post apocalyptic wasteland. Bron has been washed up for a few years and Athony Davis can´t stay healthy. If not for the pure luck of the bubble and getting a three months rest before a travel-less play-offs, they would not have won s*** with or without Westbrook.