MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - F Gump - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 07:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree with earlier comments that the lack of a Wood press Conference is weird. 

It's way early for a PC on incoming players acquired in the summer. That's usually a mid/late July thing, and sometimes even early August, after the dust has settled. The newcomers, they bring them all in at once.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - dynamicalVoid - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 07:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree with earlier comments that the lack of a Wood press
Conference is weird.  Most people. Gave that trade a ringing endorsement.  I wonder why nothing has been done there.

None of the mavs have followed him on Instagram.  Luka and Cuban typically follow
New teammates fast.  They both follow Hardy.

Edit:Cuban does not follow Hardy yet on instagram

If you want to talk indicators...

Why werent JB jerseys at half price a week ago like they usually are in these situations?  You can say because Mavs thought they had a chance...but in reality in looks like Mavs have known Jalen was leaving for a while.  If reports are true.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

https://twitter.com/JeriTsaiNets/status/1543413303392608257

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - sterlingmallory - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/JeriTsaiNets/status/1543413303392608257

Great idea, lets pursue the guy that has forced his way off of the last 3 teams he's played for and singlehandedly destroyed what could have been one of the greatest big threes ever assembled. Surely things will be different here.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543382532842033155?s=21&t=UPg7AYsBREjG05IjchGzgA

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543384847791673345?s=21&t=zIz2ttLFCUSR9F7PxJ8nYg

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543389632917868550?s=21&t=zIz2ttLFCUSR9F7PxJ8nYg

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543390512455061504?s=21&t=zIz2ttLFCUSR9F7PxJ8nYg

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543391297142136834?s=21&t=zIz2ttLFCUSR9F7PxJ8nYg

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543391766837067776?s=21&t=zIz2ttLFCUSR9F7PxJ8nYg

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - cow - 07-02-2022

Best owner is sports!  ...named Mark Cuban.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Okstate819 - 07-02-2022

If it’s THJ + Bertans for Kyrie I’m 100% behind doing a rental for one season. Worst case and your in a way better cap situation next summer or can use Kyries expiring at the deadline. Of course theirs also the possibility the guy figures out how to be a pro, his prior relationship with Nico and Kidd works miracles and he is the perfect sidekick to Luka. (He was for Lebron)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - cow - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:29 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: If it’s THJ + Bertans for Kyrie I’m 100% behind doing a rental for one season. Worst case and your in a way better cap situation next summer or can use Kyries expiring at the deadline. Of course theirs also the possibility the guy figures out how to be a pro, his prior relationship with Nico and Kidd works miracles and he is the perfect sidekick to Luka. (He was for Lebron)

Bertans seems unlikely.  They've been quibbling with Lakers over sending out Curry over Harris.  They are trying to win after all and their defense was already abysmal.  Having a stable of 3 and no D guys seems far fetched.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Okstate819 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:34 PM)cow Wrote: Bertans seems unlikely.  They've been quibbling with Lakers over sending out Curry over Harris.  They are trying to win after all and their defense was already abysmal.  Having a stable of 3 and no D guys seems far fetched.

Yea good point. My second and last offer to is THJ + Powell for Kyrie. The only other trade matching piece would be Dinwiddie and he’s too valuable to give up for Kyrie.

If BKN really does intend to try to win I would think they certainly prefer THJ/Powell over Westbrook. Only question is if LA is willing to give up unprotected picks. Lottery protected 2027 1sts probably have little value to BKN right now.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - F Gump - 07-02-2022

Just listened to the Skin audio to see what he said.

My takeaway was a lot different from many of the rest of you. In some of this it may sound like I'm bashing Skin's content, but I'm not -- I think it's meant to fit his audience, though it would have been really basic and not-so-helpful to us here....

1 To me the context of what he said was like one of us talking to a friend who didn't know that much about what the Mavs are doing, or might do, and wants an update on 'what might happen.' Sounded to me like he's just offering random Mav conversational thoughts out there.

2 The names mentioned as trade fodder started as a riff on Powell - "it's very unlikely they are keeping Dwight Powell" - which was based on the observation they just added Wood and McGee. And he's an expiring contract. And he's a bigger contract, and you aren't going to have 3 centers making that much money, he says. Well, duh, same conversations we have had and same conclusion.

3 He then segued from Powell not being here, into his trade thoughts -- "but I suspect they're gearing up to make a big trade" -- and recited the expiring contracts, mentioning Powell again, then Wood as of Aug 23, then Kleber. Then mentioning THJ too. His point sounded like showing they have big pieces they can trade, then "so they're gearing up to make another trade, I'm assuming for a wing player." Before the season starts, he was asked? "Yes, I would think a deal would happen by the end of August."

...NOTE 1 - I think "end of August" was just a safe nod to when the transaction season typically ends by, after which teams begin to gather and gear up for the season. Some here see some significance or connection to the date he gave for Wood, but I found that mention of Wood to be illogical, even contradictory to the rest of what he said.

...NOTE 2 - Logically, and also from what he said later, I don't think for a minute he believes Wood or Kleber are being shopped. I think he was throwing names, to make a point, even if it wasn't likely at all.

4 But then he talked about why POWELL was a good guy yet expendable, talking about how both Wood and McGee will do all the things Powell was doing but way better, ending with "If you go into the season with Wood, McGee, and Kleber, you don't need any other bigs." Concluding with how tradeable Powell is. [And also, of course, this shows his expectation is like ours, that neither Wood nor Kleber would be swapped for a wing.]

5 Asked about a trade target, he said "I think they definitely want a wing" based on the observation that they spent the MLE -- which could have gone to a wing - on McGee, so now the only avenue to a guy like that would be via trade. Ergo, finding that trade must be in their  plans. But, when asked, he had no one at all in mind. More info that 'knowledgeable Mav fan' here would see as obvious, but his listeners may not.

6 He made the smart observation that finding a trade is likely to be someone who wants out and/or wait until KD thing gets resolved. Taking that one step further, there will be players who become expendable or available either in advance of such a trade (to facilitate something) or afterwards (when priorities and situations change).

7 In that context, he mentioned Kyrie (if, but only if, the price was dirt cheap). His "cheap enough" spitball was Dinwiddie + Bertans. [I dunno if that's cheap enough for me. Given Kyrie unreliability, I don't think you can include a player so vital as SD should Kyrie be sitting.]

8 The 18 Month Plan idea was just a general time frame in which he thinks they will be able to land the Robin [my term, not his, based on his description] for Luka. But he said it's not a plan date, it's just a general time he thinks they will find what they need, and it could happen much sooner. He just thinks they will find their guy. He thinks they have a set of targets that he thinks they see as gettable and desirable to fill that role, and will find a way to one of them.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1543439828221558785

(07-02-2022, 11:00 PM)F Gump Wrote: 7 In that context, he mentioned Kyrie (if, but only if, the price was dirt cheap). His "cheap enough" spitball was Dinwiddie + Bertans. [I dunno if that's cheap enough for me. Given Kyrie unreliability, I don't think you can include a player so vital as SD should Kyrie be sitting.]

I'd be all over this.  You just erased KP's contract a year ahead of it's schedule and after the season ends, save for a 2nd rounder, that nightmare would be behind us.  And maybe you could use Kyrie as a S&T next offseason?  I feel you about losing SD, but you can hopefully recruit Dragic.

Given our asset pool and the cost of all stars these days (Gobert), if the idea is to trade for a second star, they are going to come with warts.  I realize Kyrie has a ton but on the last year of his deal, he has every reason to be on his best behavior.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Mavs2021 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:13 PM)cow Wrote: I'd be all over this.  You just erased KP's contract a year ahead of it's schedule and after the season ends, save for a 2nd rounder, that nightmare would be behind us.  And maybe you could use Kyrie as a S&T next offseason?  I feel you about losing SW, but you can hopefully recruit Dragic.

Given our asset pool and the cost of all stars these days (KAT), if the idea is to trade for a second star, they are going to come with warts.  I realize Kyrie has a ton but on the last year of his deal, he has every reason to be on his best behavior.

Yup. I can´t believe the amount of people that oppose straight up trades for Kyrie or Westbrook (without giving up additional draft assets) on the small chance that they are actually worse than Dinwiddie next year. You worry about the alleged downgrade from Dinwiddie to Westbrook for a year. Wait till you see what the downgrade from Luka to Sexton looks like.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-02-2022

Take out Dinwiddie.

Make it THJ-Bertans.

Or THJ-Bertans-Powell, and the Nets can add in Harris.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - cow - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:30 PM)F Gump Wrote: Take out Dinwiddie.

Make it THJ-Bertans.

Or THJ-Bertans-Powell, and the Nets can add in Harris.

They know Dinwiddie and of anything the Mavs would be willing to return, he'd impact winning the most.  The only other play that would be attractive to them would be Maxi.

My vision is a little clouded as I don't see Spencer as a Mav long term.

My guess is no matter how bad they want to get off of Kyrie, they'd want nothing from the Mavs especially if it meant anyone with a non-expiring contract.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept? - F Gump - 07-03-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:34 PM)cow Wrote: They know Dinwiddie and of anything the Mavs would be willing to return, he'd impact winning the most.  The only other play that would be attractive to them would be Maxi.

My vision is a little clouded as I don't see Spencer as a Mav long term.

My guess is no matter how bad they want to get off of Kyrie, they'd want nothing from the Mavs especially if it meant anyone with a non-expiring contract.

~shrug~ "What BKN wants" is only relevant within the margins. Kyrie is expected to only be a rental for whoever gets him. And not necessarily dependable. There might not be a line to get him.

The offer you know is the Lakers' Westbrook-based junk. He's expiring, but I don't think LA offers much (if any) side value (since they assume they'll get Kyrie for free in a year). RW is mostly negative value on the court. Weirdly, LA is said to be pushing BKN to give up extra value, not vice versa, since they likely assume no one else will want to bid. Now if you think RW is quite desirable, then this should be easy for BKN, but I don't think he is, and I doubt BKN does either.

So if the Nets want to get off of Kyrie but don't want RW, then what? There's a certain degree of beggars and choosers at play here, and the Mavs only have to beat the alternatives, which I suspect could be pretty bad.

About THJ + DB, my thinking is that it both caters to Mavs expendables, and also to BKN needs. BKN won't need SD, because their PG will be Simmons. Instead, they will need shooters who can spread the floor for him, and getting both THJ and Bertans - both on medium-sized multi-year deals - will imo be of value to them.

Of more relevance, I think the Mavs' pursuit possibility is based on the assumption that Kyrie might be like Wiggins in Minny -- no one really wants him, and maybe they can scoop him up for nothing. So the idea that a Mavs offer needs to include players needed in DAL, I think that's the sort of situation that would make them walk away.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - F Gump - 07-03-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:34 PM)cow Wrote: Bertans seems unlikely.  They've been quibbling with Lakers over sending out Curry over Harris.  They are trying to win after all and their defense was already abysmal.  Having a stable of 3 and no D guys seems far fetched.

You've got that backwards. LA prefers to get Curry. BKN prefers to send Harris. That's why I suggested a Kyrie-Harris option in my thinking.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - cow - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:24 AM)F Gump Wrote: You've got that backwards. LA prefers to get Curry. BKN prefers to send Harris. That's why I suggested a Kyrie-Harris option in my thinking.

Not backwards, it just isn't phrased definitively.  It's also why they don't need THJ and Bertans as that would leave them with four 3 and no D players.  I'd love any deal that sends out Bertans as part of a package that returns Kyrie, I'm just highly skeptical.

Lakers asking for something specific along with Kyrie makes me think they've offered a future pick.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Mavsfan12 - 07-03-2022

(07-01-2022, 09:47 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Tim and Powell for Isaac and Harris is my wish list.  I can dream.

Can we revisit this extremely sensible trade idea that was being discussed before the train went off the tracks into Irving, Simmons, and hell, even Westbrook!   Haha.

Now, Isaac obviously has injury history and is rehabbing a hammy.  If he didn't have this, he wouldn't be available.  That said, his contract has strong protections for injury that makes it all but go away in a season if he isn't healthy.

Quote:Ah yes, the contract. As ESPN’s Bobby Marks and Spotrac note, when Isaac signed a contract extension during his ACL rehab, it was heavily weighted toward him getting back on the floor. Because Isaac missed all of last season, only $16 million of his $17.4 million is guaranteed this season. Next year, that drops to $7.4 million, and his contract is not guaranteed at all for 2024-25. If a team is looking to cut future costs, then, a trade for Isaac would do the trick.

So, really this trade is THJ for Harris if Isaac doesn't work out.  And while THJ is the better player, Harris profiles better on defense, while still providing decent shooting from outside, and is more sensible in the backup roll that is available. 

BUT...  if Isaac does get healthy, the Mavs win the lottery and add an absolutely perfect piece to this team.  The Magic can turn the page on a player who has been out of the lineup, and no longer has a starting spot available, with the drafting of Banchero at his spot.  Not to mention the crowded ORL frontcourt that is full of lottery picks.  

Bring in the "Minister of Defense"!

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - F Gump - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 12:29 AM)cow Wrote: Not backwards, it just doesn't phrased definitively.  It's also why they don't need THJ and Bertans as that would leave them with four 3 and no D players.

No, you got it backwards. You were saying BKN prefers to keep Harris and wants to send out Curry, because Harris is a better defender.

But that's not what's happening. The Nets prefer Curry, despite his defensive limitations. I think they will want and need even more shooters.

Don't forget that Nash is their coach.