MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 02:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I 100% disagree with this assessment. 

THJ is a neutral value at worst (and personally I would argue he is a slight positive in today's NBA). DP as an expiring is also a neutral value. I think neither need assets attached.

I agree with your THJ take but we may be in the minority. Powell is debatable but I also agree it wouldn’t take a FRP to dump, just a second.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Jommybone - 07-02-2022

THJ and Powell are both worth way more than the bucket of garbage we traded for Chris Wood.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

Reminded, as we always are at this time of year, just how "northbound" free agent contracts are in the NBA, I'd argue that THJ is squarely in the positive value column for a team who needs what he offers, not just slightly. 

What people don't seem to be getting is that this team still needs it. That's the equation that must be balanced.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Chicagojk - 07-02-2022

Fun Mavs board conversation:  discussing how the Mavs can get KD to pair with Luka.

Reality Mavs Board conversation:  how they heck did we screw up trying to get Goran for the third time?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:01 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: how they heck did we screw up trying to get Goran for the third time?

Maybe they just don't think as highly of him as we do. Maybe he signs here on Tuesday, for the minimum. 

IDK, but it sure is bizarre, so far, and for the second or third time folks are penciling him into their lineup projections like it's a done deal.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - DallasMaverick - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Maybe they just don't think as highly of him as we do. Maybe he sings here on Tuesday, for the minimum. 

IDK, but it sure is bizarre, so far, and for the second or third time folks are penciling him into their lineup projections like it's a done deal.

Maybe they've offered him the minimum, but he's waiting to see if there are any better offers before committing.

(07-02-2022, 05:04 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Maybe they've offered him the minimum, but he's waiting to see if there are any better offers before committing.

Absolutely!

Or maybe he/they thought he'd get the TPMLE, and they opted to go with McGee, instead. We just don't know.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Winter - 07-02-2022

the Goran thing might be straightforward. If he wants to play here, he can wait.

Lots of players are put in similar situations. It's possible he gets an offer he really wants and a place he'd like to go, but the reality is it won't hurt him to wait if he wants to play here. There will be an offer for him after the Mavs finally decide one way or another.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Chicagojk - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Maybe they just don't think as highly of him as we do. Maybe he sings here on Tuesday, for the minimum. 

I am sure there is more to the story and a lot of my comments are made in jest.

But, I don't want to give the Mavs front office any benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  I feel like I have tried to justify Mavs blunders for way to long thinking there is some master plan.   There typically hasn't been.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Bayliss - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:22 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am sure there is more to the story and a lot of my comments are made in jest.

But, I don't want to give the Mavs front office any benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  I feel like I have tried to justify Mavs blunders for way to long thinking there is some master plan.   There typically hasn't been.

Say it louder for the people in the back.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - cow - 07-02-2022

Catching up on this thread and lagging a little behind but the 18 month thing is scary not just because of the nightmares of plan powder but because of what happened with Gobert yesterday.  Gobert is a pretty flawed star, on a really big contract (maybe the length is a positive for the team acquiring him), and was co-starred with someone that hated him.  There was almost no chance he wasn't traded this offseason.  Minny basically gave up 5 draft picks for him (their selection this year, 3x unprotected FRPs, 1x lightly protected FRP) along with two useful pieces in Vanderbilt and PatBev which could be use to collect even more draft picks.  Did Minnesota just help rewrite the trade market?  The popular question that quickly arose was "If Gobert is worth all that, what is Durant worth?".  And the answer is that no team could amass enough picks/valuable contracts to make that trade but it certainly made getting Durant more expensive.  So back to the 18 month plan.  How likely are the Mavs to gather the assets needed in that time to be able to afford an impact player?  Color me really skeptical.  I think a good front office with our current situation would look to acquire assets and realize our window is a few years away.  Not really Cuban's style though.  Which leads me to:

I've mentioned this before, but based on Cuban's win now lust, the MBT really needs to learn how to build teams around the moneyball concept.  Oddly enough, I think Wood and McGee are the perfect acquisitions for this strategy.  And if we have our sights set on splashier players, we definitely need to turn over the rocks for players with red flags (head cases, medicals, fallen angels, etc.).  Ben Simmons, since he's being discussed, fits that philosophy.  

Carry on.

edit:  And not giving Goran the final roster spot in my eyes makes sense as you only bring him in as a last move because once he is here, he needs to be here for the remainder of the season.  Don't rock the Luka boat.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Winter - 07-02-2022

Goran has made more than 150 million dollars just on NBA contracts - not including his time in Europe or endorsements. He's made almost as much money as Allen Iverson did during his entire career. 

He can pretty much afford to wait if he wants to play with Luca.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Branduil - 07-02-2022

If the Mavs trade for Simmons I'm literally done with this team

(07-02-2022, 06:42 PM)Branduil Wrote: If the Mavs trade for Simmons I'm literally done with this team

BE PREPARED?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 06:42 PM)Branduil Wrote: If the Mavs trade for Simmons I'm literally done with this team

Promise? 

We will hold you to this. Smile

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Branduil - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 06:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Promise? 

We will hold you to this. Smile

Don't worry, a lot of you will join me when Luka demands out

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - cow - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 06:52 PM)Branduil Wrote: Don't worry, a lot of you will join me when Luka demands out

We can finally build around Dorian and a mountain of draft picks.  We'll have dozens of Josh Green's on the roster.  Dozens!

(07-02-2022, 06:57 PM)cow Wrote: We can finally build around Dorian and a mountain of draft picks.  We'll have dozens of Josh Green's on the roster.  Dozens!

Josh Green is Ray Allen compared to Simmons.

Cuban crowdsourcing GM help.  Ok not really but still.  His response when someone told him to go get Sexton.

https://twitter.com/lamibackup/status/1543389661208481792?s=20&t=4s-uFyIwMik6m1fNc47o8A

I agree with earlier comments that the lack of a Wood press
Conference is weird.  Most people. Gave that trade a ringing endorsement.  I wonder why nothing has been done there.

None of the mavs have followed him on Instagram.  Luka and Cuban typically follow
New teammates fast.  They both follow Hardy.

Edit:Cuban does not follow Hardy yet on instagram