MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - omahen - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 08:01 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Easier said than done. Other teams need defenders too, and they aren't going to give them up for the Mavs poo-poo platter of assets they have.  Mavs are in a touch position to re-tool their roster.

Well, they put themselves in a position to put exact type of players on the team and they are paid millions to do it. Adding players that don't fit will not accomplish anything.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - DanSchwartzgan - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 07:13 AM)omahen Wrote: I think neither Vuc nor Toppin suit to what Dallas needs. I would be disappointed a lot if this would be the result of the offseason. Mavs need to get excellent defenders next to Luka and Irving.

I'm a bigger Toppin fan than you probably (plus a NY deal is never going to happen, so probably not worth debating anyway).  But center is just a problem.  They tend to fall into one of three categories:

1.  Available, but not what we want/need

2.  Available, but not worth the potential asking price

3.  Unavailable

Add to the complexity the prevailing wisdom that you don't pay centers (so you certainly don't pay assets to overpay the player).  Then you have the style of play requirements as very few switchable centers can rebound and shut down the paint (and if they do they are in category 3).  

Who is left?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - omahen - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 09:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm a bigger Toppin fan than you probably (plus a NY deal is never going to happen, so probably not worth debating anyway).  But center is just a problem.  They tend to fall into one of three categories:

1.  Available, but not what we want/need

2.  Available, but not worth the potential asking price

3.  Unavailable

Add to the complexity the prevailing wisdom that you don't pay centers (so you certainly don't pay assets to overpay the player).  Then you have the style of play requirements as very few switchable centers can rebound and shut down the paint (and if they do they are in category 3).  

Who is left?

I think Toppins potential is mostly on offensive side. I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, defense was his weakness coming into draft. 

As for center. I like Vuc as a player, I think he can do a lot of things very well. But, I think Vuc is just the opposite of what Mavs need at center. Having him next to Luka and Kyrie will lead to disastrous defense. Besides that, I think he will be paid at least Nurkic level money. Based on this, every dollar coming his way is a wasted dollar on the center position imho. 

Since Mavs chose to be in the win now mode, I think the only way to success is to navigate within the "Available, and what we need" bunch successfuly. Overpaying is the least concerning thing to me, because I am affraid Mavs situation is pretty much black and white. They either succeed (build a contender now) and everything is fine or they fail (at building a contender now) and likely start rebuild sooner than later. I think Mavs moves will all look like an overpay. The question for me is, are they capable of bringing in two quality starters that fit next to Luka and Kyrie, while hopefully retaining Green and Hardy. If they can do that, this team could be good, no matter what else is left there. If not, well, the mistakes of many years are just too big to overcome.

In general, I think big wing is more important than center position for Mavs. If they have the luxury to choose between a quality wing and quality center, I would choose the quality wing. As you said, there are only so little centers that fit what Mavs need, ideally hit a three, rebound and play excellent switchable defense. But the defense has to come first. I think it is easier survive with even a cheap center that can play defense while he lacks on offense, than the other way around. The wing on the other hand, has to have at least a passable shot besides good defense, or it will be very difficult to construct a team.

But reality is, they will most likely have to take what is available and then find a best possible solution for the second slot. We will know tomorrow night (Wednesday morning for me), if Mavs have a pick in this year draft. If yes, I think they need to find one player on draft night. I am ok if they either draft the guy or trade for him. But, he has to fit next to Luka and Kyrie. This means defense first and not being totally incompetent on the offensive side.

Based on what assets they have left, they need to find the second guy till end of TDL. No room for halfmeasures here anymore. Kyrie is not a long-term play.

Looking at big wings, and I just can't get any decent ideas. There is OG, that will be likely too expensive for Mavs. Than there are a bunch of guys that are ok, but nothing special. Certainly not worth a #10 or 2027 pick. Guys like O'Neal, Martin (Charlotte), Tate, some of Clippers wings (Morris, Covington) or Herb Jones. So, what else could we get besides them:
- O'Neale and both BKN picks for #10?
- Herb Jones and NO pick for #10?
- Tate, Garuba and #20 for #10?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - ItsGoTime - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 06:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Can you double S&T Wood for Vuc?  Wood joins Ayton and Williams in their big rotation.  Vuc isn't the ideal defensive center by any stretch of the imagination, but we're not exactly flush with options.  Maybe McGee is outgoing in that deal with Wood to make the salaries work.  BTW, it wouldn't shock me if they targeted Vuc even without the hypothetical we are discussing.  

Vuc and Toppin weren't designed to be your big moves, but they slot in as starters moving Powell/Sims and Maxi/Morris to the backups at the 4 and 5.  I think you are also set with scoring guards with Luka, Kyrie and Hardy.  Your big move is on the wing.  Green is the only sure thing and you'd presumably keep one of THJ or Bullock with the other one and your two future picks going out for the wing stud you are targeting.
So, I’m with Omahen on the Vuc at C thing (I’m with you on the Toppin thing). If Vuc for Wood was the deal they could make, I’d be happy at least with moving on from so many familiar faces in the same roles. Add in the trade of THJ for Brooks and I think that makes us a 1-4 seed in the regular season depending on how well all the pieces click. It is not, however, a contender.

Luka/Kyrie/Brooks/Toppin/Vuc
Hardy/Green/Bullock/Maxi/Sims

That’s a pretty decent bench too. Add a Patty Mills type 3rd string PG that leap frogs Hardy when either Luka or Kyrie are injured. If only we could exchange Vuc for like, Capela? That simple swap out I think puts us in the conversation of contender. Heck, if we could extract Hartenstein instead of Sims in the deal, I think he with Powell backing him up would be solid.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-15-2023

Vuc kind of sucks guys. Sims though is someone I've been pumping on these boards for a while. He could easily be a Robert Williams level center in this league if given a chance. Has all the tools.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - ItsGoTime - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 09:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Toppins potential is mostly on offensive side. I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, defense was his weakness coming into draft. 

As for center. I like Vuc as a player, I think he can do a lot of things very well. But, I think Vuc is just the opposite of what Mavs need at center. Having him next to Luka and Kyrie will lead to disastrous defense. Besides that, I think he will be paid at least Nurkic level money. Based on this, every dollar coming his way is a wasted dollar on the center position imho. 

Since Mavs chose to be in the win now mode, I think the only way to success is to navigate within the "Available, and what we need" bunch successfuly. Overpaying is the least concerning thing to me, because I am affraid Mavs situation is pretty much black and white. They either succeed (build a contender now) and everything is fine or they fail (at building a contender now) and likely start rebuild sooner than later. I think Mavs moves will all look like an overpay. The question for me is, are they capable of bringing in two quality starters that fit next to Luka and Kyrie, while hopefully retaining Green and Hardy. If they can do that, this team could be good, no matter what else is left there. If not, well, the mistakes of many years are just too big to overcome.
So, Toppin is at worst a neutral defender. Looking at his DFG% he’s decent at 6 ft and under and doesn’t let 3’s get out of hand. Overall, he has a -1% DFG% which isn’t world beater, but it isn’t bad either. That was this season. Last season when he was getting a lot more playing time he was a ton better. Overall -4.4% DFG% (more negative the better).

Regardless of what the knock on him was coming out of the draft, I think he’s fine, again, not great, as a defender.

(05-15-2023, 11:07 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Vuc kind of sucks guys.  Sims though is someone I've been pumping on these boards for a while.  He could easily be a Robert Williams level center in this league if given a chance.  Has all the tools.
I don’t advocate for Vuc, but if he is our starting C next year, it’s still better than Powell starting for us.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 11:50 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t advocate for Vuc, but if he is our starting C next year, it’s still better than Powell starting for us.

I agree with that, I just REALLY hope we are focusing are addressing our frontcourt needs as opposed to simply upgrading talent.  We need defense and rebounding and Vuc isn't overly spectacular at either of those.  I actually believe if Vuc and Sims were on the roster that Sims would complement the rest of the starters much better.

(05-15-2023, 11:15 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So, Toppin is at worst a neutral defender. Looking at his DFG% he’s decent at 6 ft and under and doesn’t let 3’s get out of hand. Overall, he has a -1% DFG% which isn’t world beater, but it isn’t bad either. That was this season. Last season when he was getting a lot more playing time he was a ton better. Overall -4.4% DFG% (more negative the better).

Regardless of what the knock on him was coming out of the draft, I think he’s fine, again, not great, as a defender.

All that numbers came mostly against bench units. In Dallas you would want him to guard LeBrons and Durants on a daily basis. I think Mavs need great or at least above average defenders, to be contenders.

(05-15-2023, 01:01 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I agree with that, I just REALLY hope we are focusing are addressing our frontcourt needs as opposed to simply upgrading talent.  We need defense and rebounding and Vuc isn't overly spectacular at either of those.  I actually believe if Vuc and Sims were on the roster that Sims would complement the rest of the starters much better.
Feels like there will be options for a good defensive starting C but you never know. C’s I think would be good for our team with varying availability this offseason (whether for starting or bench):

Stewart
Gafford
Either Hartenstein or Sims
Capela
Poeltl? Depending upon where they go
Bitadze
Kai Jones?
Tillman?
Holmes (for extremely cheap)
Landale or Biyombo 
Would take a flier on Reed hoping he can do better defensively as a backup.
Lively (trade down)

If we could get 2 off that list our C position would be set for years.

(05-15-2023, 01:47 PM)omahen Wrote: All that numbers came mostly against bench units. In Dallas you would want him to guard LeBrons and Durants on a daily basis. I think Mavs need great or at least above average defenders, to be contenders.
Sure, there is risk that he isn’t ready for a starting role. I don’t want to discount that. I just think he’s ready to see. If it doesn’t work out, we then have options going forward because we got our 24 pick back.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - cow - 05-15-2023

So many coaching upgrades out there and Cuban is going to dig his heels in with Kidd.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Jmaciscool - 05-15-2023

(05-15-2023, 02:37 PM)cow Wrote: So many coaching upgrades out there and Cuban is going to dig his heels in with Kidd.

FWIW, the actual mathematical formula to calculate the number of coaching upgrades from Kidd is X - 1 where X = the current population of earth.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Chicagojk - 05-15-2023

I agree that defense and rebounding need to be the priority this offseason. But lets not forget about toughness...both physical and mental. Who is not going to shrink when it matters? There are a lot of really good players who really don't interest me because I don't trust them.

So while defense and rebounding need to be the focus, if we keep pick 10 and have the full MLE, I would be fine with solid doubles. Find two guys who are going to be top 8 guys for a good team for a while. Pick #10 should have higher ceiling. So Black/Whitmore/Walker/Etc and a guy like Naz Reid fits the bill for me. Sure, Reid is probably a backup big (probably) and not a great defender. But he plays with edge and would be a nice piece here. You probably need to guarantee him a starting spot, but I have no problem doing that with our current roster. Then can the Mavs uncover a guy who slips through the cracks? If so, that can be a solid team. If you can't find a taker with a future first and THJ/Bertans/Bullock this summer. That is fine. Keep your powder dry....oopps bad analogy. Not a lead contender if Kyrie resigns, but you always have a chance with Luka. But can you make the Lakers deadline trade during next trade deadline???

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-17-2023

Is the market for Reid not higher than the MLE? Also, I agree that he has an edge to him but is he really that much different than Wood (offensive big but limited on the other end and better suited as a backup frontcourt scorer)?

Side note, just dawned on me that Wood's free agency is totally going to get messier than it already was because of Reid's availability.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - DallasMaverick - 05-18-2023

https://youtu.be/TT81fe2IobI

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Mavs2021 - 05-21-2023

(05-21-2023, 12:25 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: As much as I like Kyrie's play (and attitude) so far in Dallas, I'm just waiting for some issue to pop up out of nowhere.
This is what Kyrie does.
Of course I wouldn't want him to walk for nothing.. so yes...
Sign and Trade (IMHo) is the way.
Reaves + Vanderbilt + whoever 
I don't even care if the Mavs don't get a pick as long as Reaves and Vanderbilt are included.

Davis 47
LeBron 40
Kyrie 40 (assuming he´d sacrifice a little money)
Reaves 20
Hachimura 15
Vanderbilt 5

That´s basically what the Lakers would want out of this.

Lakers want to send Russell + Bamba + Beasley + future 1st to the Mavs.

Mavs want Kyrie + McGee for Russell + Hachimura + Vanderbilt + future 1st.

Settle at Kyrie + McGee for Russell + Bamba + Vanderbilt + future 1st.

Ideally you make it a three-way trade and send Russell to another team. Would Orlando be interested for Isaac + Harris?

That would mean you pulled off a Kyrie trade for four expiring contracts, got rid of McGee and added a future 1st.

Maybe you can get Vucevic in a S&T or for the MLE if his market is real bad.

A lot would ride on the health of Isaac, Kleber and Bamba, but on paper it´s at least deep and you can easily generate $50M+ in capspace next summer.

Would not be the worst deal in the world, if you are committed to push forward with a younger roster.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Mapka - 05-21-2023

(05-21-2023, 03:24 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Davis 47
LeBron 40
Kyrie 40 (assuming he´d sacrifice a little money)
Reaves 20
Hachimura 15
Vanderbilt 5

That´s basically what the Lakers would want out of this.

Lakers want to send Russell + Bamba + Beasley + future 1st to the Mavs.

Mavs want Kyrie + McGee for Russell + Hachimura + Vanderbilt + future 1st.

Settle at Kyrie + McGee for Russell + Bamba + Vanderbilt + future 1st.

Ideally you make it a three-way trade and send Russell to another team. Would Orlando be interested for Isaac + Harris?

That would mean you pulled off a Kyrie trade for four expiring contracts, got rid of McGee and added a future 1st.

Maybe you can get Vucevic in a S&T or for the MLE if his market is real bad.

A lot would ride on the health of Isaac, Kleber and Bamba, but on paper it´s at least deep and you can easily generate $50M+ in capspace next summer.

Would not be the worst deal in the world, if you are committed to push forward with a younger roster.

I'd rather keep Kyrie than doing this.
That's the Lakers wet dream.
They give nothing and get a Superstar.