MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Wait.....what? Smile

No idea haha.

(07-02-2022, 01:45 PM)omahen Wrote: It would also have to be like 3 picks included, imho.

And for those reason, I’m out.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

RE: Simmons Value

The Nets RECEIVED two 1sts, Seth Curry (1st worthy probably at the time), and Drummond in order to take on Simmons. Yes, they lost Harden, but he was threatening to walk after the season and everyone knew that.

Point being, the Nets did not drop a bunch of assets for Simmons. Therefore, it is unlikely he costs very much if they want to move him. I personally would be shocked if he cost a 1st at all at this point.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - omahen - 07-02-2022

If you think teams will give us players that would make us contenders for a poo poo platter of players we don't need, you are wrong. 

If Simmons is as good as advertised, he has a price. If he is a headcase, he doesn't. But then, why would we even trade for him.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:56 PM)omahen Wrote: If you think teams will give us players that would make us contenders for a poo poo platter of players we don't need, you are wrong. 

If Simmons is as good as advertised, he has a price. If he is a headcase, he doesn't. But then, why would we even trade for him.

I don’t think that at all? I think the price would be more than some realize. And a price I’m not willing to pay, personally.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - omahen - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:58 PM)Smitty Wrote: I don’t think that at all? I think the price would be more than some realize. And a price I’m not willing to pay, personally.

For me it is simple. If his head is ok, he is a star. If not, I don't want him even for THJ and Powell

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - dynamicalVoid - 07-02-2022

Lakers would be all over Simmons if hes cheap, no?   

Dont they need talent bad with few assets?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Scott41theMavs - 07-02-2022

Am I the only one who wants Seth back out of the Nets' firesale?

(07-02-2022, 02:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wants Seth back out of the Nets' firesale?

I don't see any Nets firesale Smile They actually paid a pick to bring in O'Neal. Even so, I don't think Seth is what we need.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 02:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wants Seth back out of the Nets' firesale?

There will be no "fire sale." They sent their next several picks to Houston. 

They're trying to be competitive. 

It must be awful to be a Nets fan right about now. For that matter, it's probably not super fun to be someone in Seth Curry's position right now, either.

(07-02-2022, 02:00 PM)omahen Wrote: For me it is simple. If his head is ok, he is a star. If not, I don't want him even for THJ and Powell

Absolutely agree again. If the Mavs determine he is the “star” they need to pair with Luka, and determine through back channels that his head and back are right, it will come at a price far greater than THJ+Powell. Prepare yourselves.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:56 PM)omahen Wrote: If Simmons is as good as advertised, he has a price. If he is a headcase, he doesn't. But then, why would we even trade for him.

But this is EXACTLY why I don't think his value is very high at the moment. PHI was struggling to move him before the BRK trade emerged. Teams are NOT going to dump a lot of value for Simmons when his mental health is a huge question mark. 

He is likely attainable for a modest cost. But is he worth that? No one knows.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - dynamicalVoid - 07-02-2022

So...if it only cost one of the two...do you trade Wood for Simmons or DFS?

I dont want to complicate this question with DFS being friends with Luka yada yada yada.

Woods seems like he fills a big need.   DFS good and cheap but still lacks offensive feel for game.  But we know what we have in DFS.

If Wood and Simmons panned out...seems like the ceiling is way higher than with Simmons DFS, no?

(07-02-2022, 02:18 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: So...if it only cost one of the two...do you trade Wood for Simmons or DFS?

I dont want to complicate this question with DFS being friends with Luka yada yada yada.

Woods seems like he fills a big need.   DFS good and cheap but still lacks offensive feel for game.  But we know what we have in DFS.

If Wood and Simmons panned out...seems like the ceiling is way higher than with Simmons DFS, no?

Ideally Simmons is the perfect compliment to a lineup that has Luka-DFS-Wood so I’d want to keep both Wood and DFS. If what Kamm thinks is true, and the cost is minimal. It is definitely worth the risk to trade something like THJ+Powell and a pick(s). Assuming the Mavs have a good handle on his mental and physical well-being.

(07-02-2022, 02:23 PM)Smitty Wrote: Ideally Simmons is the perfect compliment to a lineup that has Luka-DFS-Wood so I’d want to keep both Wood and DFS. If what Kamm thinks is true, and the cost is marginal. It is definitely worth the risk to trade something like THJ+Powell and a pick(s). Assuming the Mavs have a good handle on his mental and physical well-being.

I just dont think that gets the deal done or other teams have better offers.  But I get what you are saying

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Bayliss - 07-02-2022

Simmons doesn't want to play.  He wants to get paid.  He has spent more time on the sidelines in street clothes than he has on the court.  

Not sure you could trust him to ever be a guy who will play in games that matter.  

I would not trade DFS for him.  I wouldn't even trade Powell for him.

Your greatest asset in basketball is your availability.  And Simmons has none.

RE: Simmons Value

Look at it this way. How much was Harden worth when he was threatening to walk from BRK? 

If he was worth 4 1sts, then we can deduce that Simmons is worth one 1st because he came along with two 1sts and Curry (worth another 1st). 

If you think Harden was worth 5 1sts, then we can deduce that Simmons was worth two 1sts.

If you think a threatening to walk Harden was worth 3 1sts, then we can deduce that Simmons was worth zero 1sts. 

And THAT was this past spring. THEN Simmons never played AND had back surgery, so his value likely dropped another notch. 

Point being: I personally think Simmons is currently worth one 1st at most.

Thats gotta be the number one thing you zero in on if you are an organization thinking about acquiring him...

If the dude has no passion for the game and is only willing to ride on talent for big paychecks...you dont offer anything good for him.

It is starting to look like that is the case with Simmons.  I originally thought it was all just over the top criticism of him...but he sure doesnt seem to be into bball.   Not saying you have to have Mamba mentality...but he seems like he doesnt care too much.  Possibly sat all year to win a law suit against Philly?  

Maybe he is just toxic.  Seems like he could help a contender though.

(07-02-2022, 02:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Simmons Value

Look at it this way. How much was Harden worth when he was threatening to walk from BRK? 

If he was worth 4 1sts, then we can deduce that Simmons is worth one 1st because he came along with two 1sts and Curry (worth another 1st). 

If you think Harden was worth 5 1sts, then we can deduce that Simmons was worth two 1sts.

If you think a threatening to walk Harden was worth 3 1sts, then we can deduce that Simmons was worth zero 1sts. 

And THAT was this past spring. THEN Simmons never played AND had back surgery, so his value likely dropped another notch. 

Then I will deduce that Simmons is worth that one FRP.  Especially if all the talk about FRP's in pro basketball are bad risks to take on compared to trading them for plug and play vets.

(07-02-2022, 02:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Simmons Value

To take what you’re saying at face value. We assume Simmons is only worth 1 FRP. 

To dump/trade THJ, some have argued would take a pick; and after Powell’s playoff stint, even with an expiring contract, he would need an asset (pick) attached.

So it would seem that both you and @"omahen" are closer than you think, that a trade of THJ+Powell+3 FRPs is close to being ‘equal value’

(07-02-2022, 02:40 PM)Smitty Wrote: To dump/trade THJ, some have argued would take a pick; and after Powell’s playoff stint, even with an expiring contract, he would need an asset (pick) attached.

I 100% disagree with this assessment. 

THJ is a neutral value at worst (and personally I would argue he is a slight positive in today's NBA). DP as an expiring is also a neutral value. I think neither need assets attached.