MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - KillerLeft - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 02:50 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I agree.  It’s another fantastic article.

What bugs me is neither defense or O-rebounding has much to do with take fouls.  The reason I bring it up is Cuban seems to be talking about something other than what Iztok wrote about.  Since I’m anticipating some kind of over-correction on Mark’s part, I’m still curious what he thinks he should have done differently had he properly anticipated the incredible impact of the take-foul rule.

I..THINK...what Cuban is trying to say is that the take foul changes force you to build a team that can play faster. I THINK what he's alluding to is the horrible, terrible, awful transition defense. If so, I agree that it's something that needs to be fixed.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - SleepingHero - 04-11-2023

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1645880415226413057?s=20
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1645881353257250817?s=20

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1645881617070563328?s=20

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - ItsGoTime - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 02:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I..THINK...what Cuban is trying to say is that the take foul changes force you to build a team that can play faster. I THINK what he's alluding to is the horrible, terrible, awful transition defense. If so, I agree that it's something that needs to be fixed.
Isn’t transition defense mostly a mindset of getting back on defense that the coach instills in players though? If Kidd pulled everyone that didn’t get back on defense when they were supposed to, first, Luka would automatically get alot less minutes this season, and the players would have put a priority on getting back. Having at least even numbers on defense has got to be a large portion of the battle. 

If we at least had players releasing early to be in front of the fast break, that would help a lot. It’s not like we’re getting O Rebs either. So why is that on Cuban (other than Cuban sucks!)? I mean, Powell, DFS, SD and Bullock. Tell me who out of those guys can’t get back as fast as their counterparts? If Kidd had coached to make sure that was a priority, I don’t think we’re talking that much about it.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - omahen - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 02:50 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I agree.  It’s another fantastic article.

What bugs me is neither defense or O-rebounding has much to do with take fouls.  The reason I bring it up is Cuban seems to be talking about something other than what Iztok wrote about.  Since I’m anticipating some kind of over-correction on Mark’s part, I’m still curious what he thinks he should have done differently had he properly anticipated the incredible impact of the take-foul rule.

That take foul thing is really mind boggling. Is he really that stupid? Quite difficult to believe he is. Or was it all just an intentional way to shift attention from Kidd/Nico/Luka to him?

(04-11-2023, 02:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I THINK what he's alluding to is the horrible, terrible, awful transition defense.

Transition defense was not awful, halfcourt defense was.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 04:39 PM)omahen Wrote: Transition defense was not awful, halfcourt defense was.

They were both awful.  I'm still waiting for someone to put together a montage of every transition bucket against us where Luka doesn't cross half court.  I really want to know the number of points that we allowed just from complaining to refs, especially in a season where we basically lost every meaningful game down the stretch by single digits.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - cow - 04-11-2023

If they really burned an unprotected future first with no assurances that Kyrie would resign, it's time to trade Luka and start from scratch.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - RoyTarpleysGhost - 04-11-2023

Oh I bet ya they definitely did the trade without any assurances. 

If Kyrie takes something like 3/$120, he’ll be back for sure. If he wants 4/$200 or another team is willing to go there, I’m not so sure. 

I believe it’s a repeat of Brunson situation except Kyrie isn’t likely to have a team want him as bad as the Knicks wanted Brunson. So he’ll be back.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Chicagojk - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 05:45 PM)cow Wrote: If they really burned an unprotected future first with no assurances that Kyrie would resign, it's time to trade Luka and start from scratch.

I am not surprised there is no agreement.  But I will be disappointed if they don’t have a firm handle on salary range.  These are the type of conversations Nico is paid for.

What bothers me is how bad they are in trade negotiations.  Did we really have to take back a player who can’t move any longer (Morris) and give up a second round pick?  Should we have gotten a small asset either younger player or a second round pick or two?  It seems we get taken advantage every trade.  Heck if we got a second round pick back maybe we could have moved at the deadline with either Wood and Powell and gotten a bandaid fix down the stretch.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Chicagojk - 04-11-2023

Funny how difference a year makes.   Rebounding and rim defense were the talk last time at the end of our season.   We were all like, right on.    Only to find, their plan was to lose Jalen and sign McGee.    Hopefully their think tank has more think in it this offseason.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - From Dirk to Luka - 04-12-2023

(04-11-2023, 05:58 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not surprised there is no agreement.  But I will be disappointed if they don’t have a firm handle on salary range.  These are the type of conversations Nico is paid for.

What bothers me is how bad they are in trade negotiations.  Did we really have to take back a player who can’t move any longer (Morris) and give up a second round pick?  Should we have gotten a small asset either younger player or a second round pick or two?  It seems we get taken advantage every trade.  Heck if we got a second round pick back maybe we could have moved at the deadline with either Wood and Powell and gotten a bandaid fix down the stretch.

Yes, why do we always seem to be the little kid in the room willing to give up too much just to do anything while the big kids watch and laugh.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - omahen - 04-12-2023

(04-11-2023, 05:58 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not surprised there is no agreement.  But I will be disappointed if they don’t have a firm handle on salary range.  These are the type of conversations Nico is paid for.

I am more bothered by all the missed opportunities. Both in previous regime as well as this one. Mavs clear max cap space (Barnes dump) only to not use it at all. Mavs create largest TE only to not use any of it. Mavs had two nice expiring contracts this TDL (and none of it is crucial for Mavs long term) and none was used. After all those opportunities, Mavs are left with 2 FRP, zero (!!!) SRP and only one expiring contract (Bullock), while all the rest (rookies and stars excluded) can be considered as negative deals. So, Mavs can't really offer a lot of draft capital, can't offer high value youngsters, can't offer salary relief, can't offer good role players on good deals. It will be very difficult to compete for any serious player, as almost any team can offer a better package for those players, that will be available.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Dundalis - 04-12-2023

(04-11-2023, 05:45 PM)cow Wrote: If they really burned an unprotected future first with no assurances that Kyrie would resign, it's time to trade Luka and start from scratch.

I'm assuming they probably expect that no team that Kyrie would actually want to go to will have the cap space to get him, meaning capital coming back. I'd expect the Lakers to keep Russell so it's not like there's many options for Kyrie to simply walk to.

Kyrie already obviously doesn't have the best rep around the league, but unlike say CWood, people overlook it a bit due to pure talent. I wonder if the shit show that just occurred with the Mavs season going down the toilet after he came (which I know isn't really his fault), will actually put Kyrie more firmly in a box now to where teams are gonna be even less willing to actively recruit him. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the market for him (teams with and without cap space), isn't as receptive to wanting to bring him in as he might expect given his likely contract demands.

I actually would prefer the team doesn't offer him a long term deal. It's a risk offering him less years, but I genuinely don't think the market for him now is gonna be all that. We are another in a growing list of teams, whether his fault or not, that have fallen off the wagon after he has joined.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - omahen - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 09:55 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I'd expect the Lakers to keep Russell so it's not like there's many options for Kyrie to simply walk to.

It only takes one. You have Lakers who could get significant (but not max) cap space and you have the ambitious Houston, where Kyrie could fit very nicely. If Mavs are planning to be funny like they were with Brunson, Irving will walk.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - SleepingHero - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 11:40 AM)omahen Wrote: It only takes one. You have Lakers who could get significant (but not max) cap space and you have the ambitious Houston, where Kyrie could fit very nicely. If Mavs are planning to be funny like they were with Brunson, Irving will walk.

Kyrie would have to sacrifice almost 100 mil to join the Lakers. Sure he could, but is that a realistic possibility?

Houston is far more dangerous imo. I agree with you that they're a threat and the Mavs can't act stupid. I'm pretty sure they could carve out enough space for both Harden and Kyrie too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - cow - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 09:55 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I'm assuming they probably expect that no team that Kyrie would actually want to go to will have the cap space to get him, meaning capital coming back.

I share a lot of your thoughts but the MBT working on assumptions terrifies me.  Maybe I have PTSD from Jalen.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Ghost of Podkolzin - 04-12-2023

IMO, the only landing spot for Kyrie is PHX.

Ayton/Craig
for
Irving

Resign Wood and start him.  Sign/trade for a backup PG & C.

Point - Luka, ???
Guard - Green, Hardy
Forward - Craig, THJ
Forward - Wood, Maxi
Center - Ayton, ???

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - SleepingHero - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 01:38 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: IMO, the only landing spot for Kyrie is PHX.

Ayton/Craig
for
Irving

If I'm Dallas I'm asking to get CP3 too.

Wood is out of here, and honestly good riddance. Super talented scorer, and would've loved to see it work out, but I just don't see the team being a powerhouse with Wood getting a substantial role (and Kidd butting heads with him).

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Mavs2021 - 04-12-2023

I´ll just say one thing. The idea that one minor rule change can cause a 14 wins regular season swing is just Cuban showing out how stupid his excuses are. Yeah it´s not signing McGee over literally a dozen more capable centers for the same money or that you lost your 2nd best player and All-Star level guard for nothing, dumped another 1st round pick for a player that the headcoach demoted before he even got off the plane. I´m sorry everything that Cuban said over the last 10 days just screams "more of the same sh*t" this summer. I think they could jump to #2 in the draft and they´d go and sign Kyrie to a 250/5 extension, trade Scoot for Myles Turner. Every normal team would do it the other way around.

The sad part is I´m still anticipating the outcome of the lottery, although win, lose or draw in early July after the draft and the first two weeks of free agency are over, we´ll be sitting here wondering again: WTF is happening, that can´t be it, I´m sure they have a plan, there is a move they are waiting to execute.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - Ghost of Podkolzin - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 02:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If I'm Dallas I'm asking to get CP3 too.

Wood is out of here, and honestly good riddance. Super talented scorer, and would've loved to see it work out, but I just don't see the team being a powerhouse with Wood getting a substantial role (and Kidd butting heads with him).

I just don't think CP3 can play off the ball and we've seen the experiment of playing Luka off the ball.  IMO, Green needs to start at SG and we need a real SF who can rebound and defend.

I hope you're wrong about Wood.  As a starter in 17 games he was 20.4pts, 9.4rbs, 2.3blks in 33.1mins.  That puts him about 7th or 8th in the NBA offensively at C (ahead of KAT and Bam).  How the hell can Kidd not scheme around his defensive problems for this production???  If he can't, he shouldn't be coach.  

Like I said before the Irving trade, you build around your best players (at the time Luka/Wood/Din).  If Irving walks, we can't afford to lose Wood also.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Kidd- we're going to see new faces. Morris: I'm back nxt year! - dirkfansince1998 - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 07:22 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I just don't think CP3 can play off the ball and we've seen the experiment of playing Luka off the ball.  IMO, Green needs to start at SG and we need a real SF who can rebound and defend.

I hope you're wrong about Wood.  As a starter in 17 games he was 20.4pts, 9.4rbs, 2.3blks in 33.1mins.  That puts him about 7th or 8th in the NBA offensively at C (ahead of KAT and Bam).  How the hell can Kidd not scheme around his defensive problems for this production???  If he can't, he shouldn't be coach.  

Like I said before the Irving trade, you build around your best players (at the time Luka/Wood/Din).  If Irving walks, we can't afford to lose Wood also.

Might have something to do with the list of best players you just posted. Not a single plus defender. I would adjust your statement and say that you build around your best player. In a best case scenario around your two best players. Rest of the team has to fit next to them. If you have two guards that cannot defend you have to make sure that the rest of the team is close to all-defense level.