MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-09-2023

(04-06-2023, 07:16 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Figuring we resign Kyrie, how do we build the roster how do we allow our stars to be stars?  That should be a 24 hour a day job until the start of next season. I have said it before but we aren’t far away.  But I must add we aren’t as close as we were.  Finding a starting quality big wing and a high IQ center who can defend the rim would make a world of difference with the role players we have.  I just don’t know if we can find the perfect fits of both, so we may need to duck tape it a little.  A good GM can find solid temporary solutions.

I disagree with the assertion we aren't far away. They are very far away considering all the moves they made stripped them of the ability to rebuild on the fly. It won't be so easy as finding new homes for Bertans, THJ, Bullock, Powell, etc as they're not valued as highly around the league as Dallas might value them. Plug in and play won't  be easy to do in they're situation. They might be two years away from contending again IMO and that's if what ever moves they make work out, and that's right around the time Luka's deal is up. In other words, Dallas will be on the clock up to that point to get some positive improvement before he decides if he still wants to be here, If he doesn't decide sooner.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - SleepingHero - 04-09-2023

(04-09-2023, 11:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Damage is already done. Pick is lost. No need to repeat the KP scenario where the Mavs hold onto a player because of the price they paid to get him. No need to fall for the sunken cost fallacy.

Thing is, you always hold onto the asset because losing it is always  worse than a negative asset. At least that's what Daryl Morey said (and why he wanted to keep Dwight Howard) to Bill Simmons.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Mavs2021 - 04-09-2023

(04-09-2023, 09:52 AM)omahen Wrote: You are neglecting gazillion of moves for young players that never turn it around. Mavs did try with Justin Jackson or FN in the past, but neither turned it around despite getting plenty of chance. Also, stats from tanking games have little to no value.
Of course they have plenty of value. If a player sucks in meaningless games with little defense that either means he doesn´t care enough to try himself (bad attitude) or he´s not even good enough in these games (bad skills). So by process of elimination you can already find the players that can perform well, when given an opportunity.

Next you look at the teams they come from?

Does the team draft well historically? The Lakers and Grizzlies seemingly can´t f****** miss.
What is the personal situation of the player? Azubuike is stuck behind Kessler/Markkanen/Olynyk. Reed is stuck behind Embiid.

Here are some players the Mavs should look at from the early games, that are mostly at HALFTIME:

Paul Reed (Sixers) 10 pts, 6 rebs, 3 blocks.
Jalen McDaniels (Sixers) 6 pts, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 2 steals
Jalen Johnson (Hawks) 7 pts, 3 asts, 2 blocks, 2 rebounds, 1 steal
Sergei Mykhailiuk (Hornets) 6 pts, 5rebs, 3 asts
Goga Bitadze (Magic) 2pts, 6 rebs (in nine minutes).

Kris Dunn looked like his body was as broken as his shot, but he was a good defender. Since Utah picked him, he´s averaging 13/6/4 on 54/45/74 shooting.
Utah also picked up Samanic, who averages 10/5/2. Just like Houston picked up KPJ for nothing, who was like JET´s adopted son.

It´s like Cuban can only accept troubled players, when they cost him at least three draft picks like Porzingis, Rondo and Irving. When he can literally have talented players on the minimum for nothing like Samanic or KPJ, that´s where he draws the line. Shy Shy

Those are all players that will make between the minimum and the MLE. 

Bitadze is the legit rebounding and shotblocking big. Reed is the versatile space defender. McDaniels is your wing defender. Mykhailiuk is your sharpshooter with some play-making ability from SG/SF. These players are out there, but you need to show them the minutes, the vision and that you believe in them. All you need to show McGee was 18/3 and he was looking at summer vacations on the Bahamas.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Mavs2021 - 04-09-2023

Here is another way you can evaluate the meaingless tank games. The 76ers BENCHED Paul Reed for long stretches of the 2nd half. He finished at 17 pts, 10 rebs, 6 blks, 2 stls in 28 minutes. Same happened with Jalen McDaniels. Benched with 8/3/2/2 in 18 minutes, cause the Sixers have no interest to draw attention to their UFA/RFA.

Jalen Johnson is still a few years away from RFA, but the pathway in Atlanta still appears to be blocked by Hunter/Griffin/Bey/Bogdanovic/Murray. If you pull off a Collins trade, I´d ask for him as a an additional piece. 15/3/3 with 3 blocks in 19 minutes tonight.

Mykhailiuk 17/6/5 with 2 stls on 6/18 bad shooting in 35 minutes. He´s basically a poor version of Gordon Hayward, that you can likely sign for the minimum. That also makes him better than Bertans for 10% the salary.

Jordan Nwora on the Pacers. Talked about his play as the #1 option for Nigeria. Another 40% 3pt shooting season in the NBA. He´s basically THJ on a rookie/minimum contract. 19/4 in 23 minutes tonight.

Talked about Goga Bitadze at length. Tonight 4 pts, 8 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl in 20 minutes. Nothing that jumps out at you, but that´s more or less what Hartenstein does every night, except you can likely have it for the minimum.

Three of these players were available for literally nothing at the current trade deadline.

I understand that it won´t happen for some of them, but the costs are minimal and if you signed all five, I´m sure you get 2-3 top 9 rotational players out of it. I couldn´t tell you with 100% certainty which, but that´s how the numbers game works.

If you only sign one Ntilikina every two years and waste the rest on Pinson, McGee, Holiday, Burke, Boban and such players, you´ll never get ahead of the other teams.

All that being said, we can all look forward to same dumb sh*t the Mavs tried every year for the last decade that has NEVER worked.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Chicagojk - 04-09-2023

Kidd was awful this year.  But I still believe the front office is the bigger problem.   When you have a top 5 player, a bad coach is exposed in a first round 4 vs 5 matchup or maybe in the second round.    That is when a bad coach sticks out.    Not fighting for a playin spot.   Now again, he was awful.  Look at Morey for instance.  Year after year, with an elite player he constantly finds players on the edges and almost always wins close to 50 games.   Most of those years it is with a coach that most would not say is elite.   

Watching the practice game today, it just showed me how bad our roster design is.   San Antonio had fringe guys in the game as well, but they were big, physical and could make a play.  They constantly got baskets at the rim or by rebouding misses.  Most of our points were shooting threes with the occasional drive.  

My goal for the offseaon are the following:  Find a trade for a good established 4th starter.   Find a low cost veteran or under the radar youngster who can be a top 8 rotation player, and be aggressive in the second round or undrafted market.    This will take things that this front office hasn't had success in yet.   And, please have a good fitting roster that allows your star(s) be stars.   We will talk the draft pick at a later date once that is set.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-09-2023

(04-09-2023, 06:07 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kidd was awful this year.  But I still believe the front office is the bigger problem.   When you have a top 5 player, a bad coach is exposed in a first round 4 vs 5 matchup or maybe in the second round.    That is when a bad coach sticks out.    Not fighting for a playin spot.   Now again, he was awful.  Look at Morey for instance.  Year after year, with an elite player he constantly finds players on the edges and almost always wins close to 50 games.   Most of those years it is with a coach that most would not say is elite.   

Watching the practice game today, it just showed me how bad our roster design is.   San Antonio had fringe guys in the game as well, but they were big, physical and could make a play.  They constantly got baskets at the rim or by rebouding misses.  Most of our points were shooting threes with the occasional drive.  

My goal for the offseaon are the following:  Find a trade for a good established 4th starter.   Find a low cost veteran or under the radar youngster who can be a top 8 rotation player, and be aggressive in the second round or undrafted market.    This will take things that this front office hasn't had success in yet.   And, please have a good fitting roster that allows your star(s) be stars.   We will talk the draft pick at a later date once that is set.

On the management side of things,  Dallas will NEVER be mistaken for SA...

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - SleepingHero - 04-09-2023

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/1645198193225879552

Hearing McMahon try to explain his clickbait story and Luka shutting him down really made my night.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Chicagojk - 04-10-2023

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/04/dallas-mavericks-nba/

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Chicagojk - 04-10-2023

Take this for what it is, but good news in a year of bad news.   Way to early to make final judgements and you can make cases that he should be above certain guys and you also make cases guys after him should be above him.    Jaden listed as pick #17 in a redraft per one man's opinion.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10071186-2022-nba-re-draft-creating-the-ultimate-re-do-1st-round

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - SleepingHero - 04-11-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1645596177394483205?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1645507844353949696?s=20

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Chicagojk - 04-11-2023

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/04/its-past-time-for-the-mavericks-to-get-with-the-times/

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - omahen - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 10:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/04/its-past-time-for-the-mavericks-to-get-with-the-times/

Iztok nailed it, imho

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - Chicagojk - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 10:55 AM)omahen Wrote: Iztok nailed it, imho

Yes, improve the rebounding and defense while also finding success on the edges with small, smart moves will make the world of difference.  It is probably not a one year fix, but you can be a really good team again next year if you improved the defense and rebounding.  Other things need to be fixed but nothing is truly going to get better without fixing these.

I know it was mop up duty the last two games but having AJ Lawson crash the boards a few times was nice to see.  Josh Green does it at times and Powell is good tapping the ball out.  But getting a few more of these a game while also eliminating other teams getting second (and third) chances is huge.   Same thing on defense.    You can live with teams hitting tough threes.  It happens.   Leads evaporate.  But you can't let teams get right at the rim at will.   That leads to easy baskets, free throws, big runs and fast leads lost.   Even if the Mavs are league average in these two, they are in a much better spot.   

I have also found it very frustrating the Mavs have been behind the curves on current trends in the NBA.   When you have a dominant player, you should be a force to lead new trends...not play catchup.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 01:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yes, improve the rebounding and defense while also finding success on the edges with small, smart moves will make the world of difference.  It is probably not a one year fix, but you can be a really good team again next year if you improved the defense and rebounding.  Other things need to be fixed but nothing is truly going to get better without fixing these.

I know it was mop up duty the last two games but having AJ Lawson crash the boards a few times was nice to see.  Josh Green does it at times and Powell is good tapping the ball out.  But getting a few more of these a game while also eliminating other teams getting second (and third) chances is huge.   Same thing on defense.    You can live with teams hitting tough threes.  It happens.   Leads evaporate.  But you can't let teams get right at the rim at will.   That leads to easy baskets, free throws, big runs and fast leads lost.   Even if the Mavs are league average in these two, they are in a much better spot.   

I have also found it very frustrating the Mavs have been behind the curves on current trends in the NBA.   When you have a dominant player, you should be a force to lead new trends...not play catchup.

When you start to think about the problems being broken out into three categories instead of just two (defense, o rebounding, d rebouding as opposed to just rebounding in general), you start to realize losing DFS affected two of those greatly because he was our best offensive rebounder from the wing position.  Not sure if AJ Lawson is going to crack the rotation at all but definitely nice to have him at the end of the bench.  One of the reasons I'm an advocate of actually drafting with our pick is because rookies usually learn quickly that in order to stay on the floor they are going to have to provide good defense and good energy (which can lead to offensive rebounding) and there's a lot of kids in this top 10 that will be able to provide that from day one.  The name that myself and Mavs2021 have thrown out there is Taylor Hendricks but it's starting to feel like he's going to move up and be unattainable.  If we do hop into the 3 or 4 spot, I personally hope that we look at Jerace Walker over Brandon Miller simply because he will do those things that we need at a high level out of the gate and we can stick in him in the corner on offense until that part of his game rounds out.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - cow - 04-11-2023

To be fair, they thought they'd improved the 4/5 position this past offseason with McGee (Defense/Rebounding) and Wood (Rebounding).  Both of those experiment failed for a lot of reasons, but a lot of that has to be on Kidd.  Maybe we were just spoiled by Carlisle turning chicken shit into chicken salad, but Kidd seems to be turning everything into Montezuma's revenge.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 01:33 PM)cow Wrote: Maybe we were just spoiled by Carlisle turning chicken shit into chicken salad

Carlisle was so good at coaching his roster to it's strengths and Kidd just kept trying to force a square peg into a round hole and it looked awful all year.

https://twitter.com/Keefmorris/status/1645853896588378112

Cry

Please don't tell me we are bringing him back.  LOL

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - SleepingHero - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 01:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/Keefmorris/status/1645853896588378112

Cry

Please don't tell me we are bringing him back.  LOL

This is the same dude that went 1-7 in the first quarter against a Spurs team intentionally trying to lose.

Keef ain't got it anymore.

If he's coming back for the vet min as a 14th guy ok fine he fills a body, but his role shouldn't be anything but that.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - DanSchwartzgan - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 02:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This is the same dude that went 1-7 in the first quarter against a Spurs team intentionally trying to lose.

1-7 in that game should be rewarded.  The one that pissed me off was going 5-6 and scoring 13 points in 8 minutes against Chicago.  Can’t tolerate that kind of production from a vet who should know better.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Luka remains out. Everyone else questionable w/injuries - DanSchwartzgan - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 10:55 AM)omahen Wrote: Iztok nailed it, imho

I agree.  It’s another fantastic article.

What bugs me is neither defense or O-rebounding has much to do with take fouls.  The reason I bring it up is Cuban seems to be talking about something other than what Iztok wrote about.  Since I’m anticipating some kind of over-correction on Mark’s part, I’m still curious what he thinks he should have done differently had he properly anticipated the incredible impact of the take-foul rule.