MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Mavs2021 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Nope. Westbrook is the biggest hot potato in that entire trade. You have the choice of 1) the tanking and season-nuking decision of playing WB, 2) the distraction of sitting him for the season, or 3) the cap damage of a SW. The picks are in there, or hell to the nope.

What is a SW?

The escape from cap hell would be better than Clint Eastwood´s Escape from Alcatraz.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Scott41theMavs - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:43 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What is a SW?

The escape from cap hell would be better than Clint Eastwood´s Escape from Alcatraz.

Stretch waive. 

And, no, an "escape from cap hell" that in the most absolute of terms sacrifices all chances of competing - and probably even making the playoffs - when you have a generational talent and don't have your pick is not some grand achievement.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I just saw that Rasheed's trade includes us giving up Spencer. Holy shit. No way the Mavs could contemplate that trade without having the JB signing turn into a SnT that gets us our 23 back. We aren't making the playoffs with that resulting roster. Good luck on convincing Luka to completely punt a year.

Westbrook replaces Dinwiddie for a year.  THT is an upgrade over THJ.  Think what the Mavs could do at the TDL or next offseason with all their picks back, an unprotected 1st from the Lakers just as they're due to rebuild and a shit ton of cap space.  Sorry, Dinwiddie isn't that much better than Russ.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - omahen - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:37 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Because he is unplayable on the offense in the playoffs.

Basically, Josh Green 2.0.

That doesn't answer my question. Why would Philly trade him to Dallas. What are we giving them that is better than Thybulle?

And to further add to your comment. If he is unplayable on offense in the playoffs, why would we even trade for him in the first place?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:37 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Because he is unplayable on the offense in the playoffs.

Basically, Josh Green 2.0.

I think comparing Thybulle to Green (now, today) is probably a stretch, but I share this worry. If the Mavs thought they could win with a defensive guard/wing type who can't shoot, I suspect we'd have seen a lot more minutes for Ntilikina last year. I know Thybulle is on a different level than him, but there's a stronger defender who can be leaned on more heavily without giving up any assets.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - BoredAssistant - 07-02-2022

If Westbrook were a Mav for a year, I would hope he would use the entire season explaining why our owner is not a 'superstar' owner.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - MAVS-SLO - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:48 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Westbrook replaces Dinwiddie for a year.  THT is an upgrade over THJ.  Think what the Mavs could do at the TDL or next offseason with all their picks back, an unprotected 1st from the Lakers just as they're due to rebuild and a shit ton of cap space.  Sorry, Dinwiddie isn't that much better than Russ.

If we didn't lose JB for nothing that would good idea. The biggest problem with this would be loosing almost all 3 point shooting we have and we all know how important that is.

WB is lockerroom cancer i would avoid try to avoid that, and THT shooting is... Could very easily become last years Lakers version.

But, every trade with Lakers wich includes their own future draft picks can be interesting because everything what awaits them, indicates that their future picks will be high ones.

That doesn't answer my question. Why would Philly trade him to Dallas. What are we giving them that is better than Thybulle?

And to further add to your comment. If he is unplayable on offense in the playoffs, why would we even trade for him in the first place?

I don't know why. They were just media talking that they are shopping him (alongside Harris), because of his offense. 

I don't know if we would trade for him (hope not) or if it's just the name who come across.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Mavs2021 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:51 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: If Westbrook were a Mav for a year, I would hope he would use the entire season explaining why our owner is not a 'superstar' owner.

More likely Cuban explaining Westbrook why he is not a superstar then offer him a gracious BA-MLE extension and be shocked, when Russ doesn´t want to talk. Big Grin

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-02-2022

The entire last page of this thread may be the craziest basketball thoughts I’ve ever read…

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - dynamicalVoid - 07-02-2022

Im in on a gamble on Simmons if he is willing to go with Kidds plan and he can be had for cheap.

I assume if hes cheap the Lakers will wiggle their way into him, though.   Simmons wants to be in LA supposedly too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - omahen - 07-02-2022

Wood would fit great next to Simmons. I am sure Nets would want a substantial package for him, so I wonder if he is on the list of those players Mavs have.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:24 PM)omahen Wrote: Wood would fit great next to Simmons. I am sure Nets would want a substantial package for him, so I wonder if he is on the list of those players Mavs have.

Wood is likely needed in a trade for Simmons. 

Would you trade Wood+DFS+Green for Simmons?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - dynamicalVoid - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:26 PM)Smitty Wrote: Wood is likely needed in a trade for Simmons. 

No.

DFS is good and cheap.  Wood could turn out to be amazing...but right now is almost a shoe in for 18-20 ppg at a position that was a Zero Burger last year(assuming Wood plays the 5)

Simmons might be a diva here, might not like playing the 5 and check out and if you try him as facilitator next to Luka you are looking at 4 vs 5 in playoffs offensively unless his shot miraculously emerges.

Im all for Simmons...but not for DFS and Wood.  Wood fits better than Simmons for our Scheme.   I might entertain DFS in a package for Simmons...but Simmons would have to sell me on his enthusiasm to play here and willingness to play 5 or whatever Kidd wants his to do.

Edit:  Actually...if Simmons sold me on wanting to be here and willing to do whatever he is told...I would do the Wood and DFS trade.   But its risky.

(07-02-2022, 01:26 PM)Smitty Wrote: Wood is likely needed in a trade for Simmons. 

They paid Claxton, so perhaps a center is not that necessary for them. 

I wouldn't pay that package. If he is on the list (I have my doubts regarding his head), I would give any combination of THJ, Powell, Maxi, Brunson SnT salary and Green as salary match and whatever picks needed. If he is that missing piece, I would go get him.

I know everything about his problems and I can't comment them, Mavs should know way better. I can only judge the player.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 07-02-2022

No.  Crazy + loooooong term deal = Simmons

And I like the DFS and Wood pieces.

Unlike the Westbrook deal, this essentially locks the roster forever.  Forever.  FOREVER.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - BigDirk41 - 07-02-2022

No I wouldn't even consider it.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:32 PM)Owomahen Wrote: They paid Claxton, so perhaps a center is not that necessary for them. 

I wouldn't pay that package. If he is on the list (I have my doubts regarding his head), I would give any combination of THJ, Powell, Maxi, Brunson SnT salary and Green as salary match and whatever picks needed. If he is that missing piece, I would go get him.

I know everything about his problems and I can't comment them, Mavs should know way better. I can only judge the player.

I agree with all of this. 

Of course if you change the trade to THJ+Powell then it’s a no-brainer but I wanted to be as realistic as possible.

(07-02-2022, 01:44 PM)Smitty Wrote: Of course if you change the trade to THJ+Powell then it’s a no-brainer but I wanted to be as realistic as possible.

It would also have to be like 3 picks included, imho.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:44 PM)Smitty Wrote: Owomahen Wrote:

Wait.....what? Smile

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Scott41theMavs - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:45 PM)omahen Wrote: It would also have to be like 3 picks included, imho.

Hey, if Brooklyn wants to throw in some picks for us, that's great.  Big Grin