MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi expected to return 2/23 against Spurs | Mavs waive Silva - Chicagojk - 02-23-2023

I listened to a Kidd interview on the ticket that was posted on Reddit.    A few takeways as Kidd was a little guarded.

-Sounds like Green is going to stay a starter
-Hardy is probably going to be limited in minutes when everyone is healthy down the stretch (not really suprising)
-They asked about Wood.  Kidd was pretty guarded but it sounded like Wood will get a chance at starting at some point.  Said they like him both off the bench and starting.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi expected to return 2/23 against Spurs | Mavs waive Silva - DallasMaverick - 02-23-2023

(02-23-2023, 02:51 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I listened to a Kidd interview on the ticket that was posted on Reddit.    A few takeways as Kidd was a little guarded.

-Sounds like Green is going to stay a starter
-Hardy is probably going to be limited in minutes when everyone is healthy down the stretch (not really suprising)
-They asked about Wood.  Kidd was pretty guarded but it sounded like Wood will get a chance at starting at some point.  Said they like him both off the bench and starting.

They've significantly altered their team with the Kyrie trade.  It will take at least 10 games to figure out chemistry, matchups, and rotations, maybe more.

There will probably be some unexpected losses through this process, much like playing rookies to gain experience.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi expected to return 2/23 against Spurs | Mavs waive Silva - SleepingHero - 02-24-2023

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1628540230348177410?cxt=HHwWhICwxcGt3pktAAAA

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-24-2023

Did we lose Dan?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - DallasMaverick - 02-24-2023

(02-24-2023, 01:02 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Did we lose Dan?

Got tired of all the CWood drama.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - KillerLeft - 02-24-2023

(02-24-2023, 02:58 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Got tired of all the CWood drama.

Which I took to mean "opinions that don't run parallel to my own."

But it's whatever - to be honest, the Mavs have made it increasingly hard to be AS into them as some of us in this community have been for the past 10...15...20 years. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the older, familiar folks start dropping out.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - OBX Maverick - 02-24-2023

(02-24-2023, 03:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Which I took to mean "opinions that don't run parallel to my own."

But it's whatever - to be honest, the Mavs have made it increasingly hard to be AS into them as some of us in this community have been for the past 10...15...20 years. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the older, familiar folks start dropping out.

Not this “older folk”! As frustrating as the their roster management has been, the KI trade has gotten me pumped up. I was not thrilled with the trade when it went down, but I think KI likes playing in Dallas.  It’ll be interesting to see if a healthy Maxie will be enough to make us a serious playoff threat this season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - Tyler - 02-24-2023

(02-24-2023, 03:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Which I took to mean "opinions that don't run parallel to my own."

I don't think that's fair at all.

There are lots of fans like me that love the team as much as ever but who are prone to burnout caused by a small subset of toxic people (not just here -- Mavs Reddit and Twitter are also pretty rough at times) who filibuster discussions with persistent negativity and ultimately suck the joy out of talking about basketball. It's not a matter of differing opinions (we've all had robust debate for years) but about whether the discussions are a net positive to your enjoyment of your favorite pasttime. And at some point it's just no longer worth it.

Basketball is supposed to be fun.  IMHO, the Mavs community as a whole needs to figure out how to let go of the cynicism and re-embrace the joy of the game in order to bring more people into the conversation rather than drive them away.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - Branduil - 02-24-2023

The fanbase is a reflection of the owner

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - SleepingHero - 02-25-2023

(02-24-2023, 07:12 PM)Tyler Wrote: I don't think that's fair at all.

There are lots of fans like me that love the team as much as ever but who are prone to burnout caused by a small subset of toxic people (not just here -- Mavs Reddit and Twitter are also pretty rough at times) who filibuster discussions with persistent negativity and ultimately suck the joy out of talking about basketball. It's not a matter of differing opinions (we've all had robust debate for years) but about whether the discussions are a net positive to your enjoyment of your favorite pasttime. And at some point it's just no longer worth it.

Basketball is supposed to be fun.  IMHO, the Mavs community as a whole needs to figure out how to let go of the cynicism and re-embrace the joy of the game in order to bring more people into the conversation rather than drive them away.

Post of the year. 

I don't understand why this community has become so catty with one another. Sure people would argue back in the old forums, but people would move on quite quickly and never take things personally at least from my view.

The pervasive negative narratives that the vocal minority is spouting across Mavs internet universe is taking over almost every online Mav forum I know of. It basically starts in toxic Twitter threads and spreads from there,  It's frustrating cause I see everyone being driven away slowly but surely. 

It hurts. I love the contributions of everyone here. The creative roster moves and cap management ideas that Dan and FGump write are some of my favorite reads. I miss the post game conversations where everyone would discuss their thoughts on the most recent game. I miss Kamms use of stats to try and bring a different POV to what we're seeing on the court. I love Dougie's memes. 

I don't understand why everyone is taking everything so personal. I hope we can move forward and get back to just loving the Mavs and discussing the fact we have an interesting group with 2 all star starters and get to a point where we can make jokes again. 

Anyways, thank you for sticking up and highlighting some of the cool things we got going on.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - KillerLeft - 02-25-2023

(02-24-2023, 07:12 PM)Tyler Wrote: I don't think that's fair at all.

Oh, I don’t disagree with a word of this. I just don’t think it remotely applies to the discussion about Wood here this season. But that’s kind of the whole point, I think: some people’s “toxic” is others’ “interesting”.

Every single one of us has subjects we are sick of talking about here, and some of us have been on opposite sides of debates that have lasted more than 10 years, at this point. I really didn’t think my post would be provocative or controversial in any way. I just kind of thought it was the obvious takeaway from the situation. I didn’t mean it as a way to rile anyone up.

And honestly, I don’t think this place is toxic at all. Like, not even the slightest bit. I spend a lot of time on Twitter - that’s toxic. I read through the Discord every now and again, and it’s like prison rules in that place. I think what keeps this place going is about a dozen people who are friends and love the Mavericks. If those friends get slightly sick of each other for a while, or some of them start to feel like the team’s future isn’t very hopeful, it’s natural to take a step back. It’s our hobby, after all.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - Chicagojk - 02-25-2023

As a Hardy fan, I am more than satisfied with his development this year.   He has gotten more playing time than I expected.  I am glad whether it was due to injuries or just giving him minutes that he got good experience playing meaningful minutes this year.  I expect him minutes to be limited down the stretch.  And that is fine.  In fact, I agree with them.  At this point, I think Frank should get most of those remaining minutes.   Lets see how Holiday looks over a stretch, but in theory him and Frank could gobble up the remaining bench minutes.  With Luka, Kyrie, Wood and Hardaway we should have more than enough scoring.    Even though we may not be very good defending the rim, any added defense should help some.   

Question, I was wondering if Maxi as the lone big is going to be as effective as it was last year.   I just feel like DFS was one of the pieces that made that work.   We really miss that other wing who can defend bigger and rebound.  Without this, this lineup may not be as effective.    It will be interesting to see.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - KillerLeft - 02-25-2023

(02-25-2023, 08:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Question, I was wondering if Maxi as the lone big is going to be as effective as it was last year.   I just feel like DFS was one of the pieces that made that work.   We really miss that other wing who can defend bigger and rebound.  Without this, this lineup may not be as effective.    It will be interesting to see.

Wow…GREAT question. Between Kleber’s injury, and the absence of DFS, it’s tough to predict how that 5-out lineup will function on the defensive end, even when Kleber is back.

You’re right - seeing how this plays out will be fascinating.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - Reunion Mav - 02-25-2023

(02-25-2023, 12:32 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Post of the year. 

I don't understand why this community has become so catty with one another. Sure people would argue back in the old forums, but people would move on quite quickly and never take things personally at least from my view.

The pervasive negative narratives that the vocal minority is spouting across Mavs internet universe is taking over almost every online Mav forum I know of. It basically starts in toxic Twitter threads and spreads from there,  It's frustrating cause I see everyone being driven away slowly but surely. 

It hurts. I love the contributions of everyone here. The creative roster moves and cap management ideas that Dan and FGump write are some of my favorite reads. I miss the post game conversations where everyone would discuss their thoughts on the most recent game. I miss Kamms use of stats to try and bring a different POV to what we're seeing on the court. I love Dougie's memes. 

I don't understand why everyone is taking everything so personal. I hope we can move forward and get back to just loving the Mavs and discussing the fact we have an interesting group with 2 all star starters and get to a point where we can make jokes again. 

Anyways, thank you for sticking up and highlighting some of the cool things we got going on.
I really do like this series of posts. I would love for someone to show this to Dan and sincerely invite him back. He provides tremendous information and excellent thinking. I love his posts and totally don’t care when I occasionally disagree with him or any other poster for that matter.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - Reunion Mav - 02-25-2023

(02-24-2023, 05:41 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Not this “older folk”! As frustrating as the their roster management has been, the KI trade has gotten me pumped up. I was not thrilled with the trade when it went down, but I think KI likes playing in Dallas.  It’ll be interesting to see if a healthy Maxie will be enough to make us a serious playoff threat this season.

Love this tagline!  Be curious. Not judgmental. 
I might add informative and or add some good thinking. 
My suggested tip: when really frustrated consider if anyone will have fun reading your post. If not let it go or at least wait before posting. I really like the fun idea I read from previous posters. 

This board is indeed still better than most internet sites. At the same time it is very sad for me that we keep losing some of our best posters when we get frustrated and forget to treat our beloved Mavs fans well. 
This fan since 1981 isn’t going anywhere either. I love all our guys who are way smarter and more informed than me.

(02-25-2023, 10:04 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow…GREAT question. Between Kleber’s injury, and the absence of DFS, it’s tough to predict how that 5-out lineup will function on the defensive end, even when Kleber is back.

You’re right - seeing how this plays out will be fascinating.

I am watching Kyrie’s defense and I am hopeful he will help 5 out on defense as well as offense. Candidates who will play in the playoffs for the DFS role are essentially none. But THJ will play and his defense and finishing abilities have improved to a C and a D. He does add offense and effort that we didn’t have last year. Josh Green is way short of DFS as a defender but he does bring even more energy and is vastly improved from last year. 
Maxi is a surprisingly good shot blocker and good defender on bigs but quick scorer types totally overmatched his not so quick feet when we tried him as our one on one perimeter defender two years ago. 
Luka can be a good defender and now that he is not our only superstar he will be forced to help replace DFS defensively. That and his off the ball offense will be extremely interesting. The guy is supremely good so maybe he does show us some more awesome stuff.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - mvossman - 02-25-2023

This is an interesting take.  I find the Mavs to be way more interesting in the post Luka years than what they were post Championship years.

Personally I think Luka has given fans hope, and that has made things more emotional and therefore contentious.  

I hope guys are just going on sabbaticals.  Sometimes its good to step away for a bit.  I will be really bummed if Dan is gone for good.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - rocky164 - 02-25-2023

I still miss Mavslvr

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - Hypermav - 02-25-2023

(02-25-2023, 02:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: and it’s like prison rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsvsLFYYSg&ab_channel=GlyphJockey

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi delayed a bit longer, Prob out vs. Lakers | Holiday 15pts in debut - ItsGoTime - 02-25-2023

(02-25-2023, 11:39 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Maxi…quick scorer types totally overmatched his not so quick feet when we tried him as our one on one perimeter defender two years ago. 
So, for the record, Maxi went into the playoffs 2 years ago with his back tweeked. Three years ago before he tweeked his back in the 3rd game he was a Kawhi stopper. Last year he was reportedly not injured all playoffs long. This is why there is hope and dread with him and his contract in my mind.