MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - SleepingHero - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 01:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Wood is a great pnr partner with either Luka or Kyrie.

That he is, but in his limited action in UTA and against LAC, the Mavs barely ran set PnR's with Kyrie or anyone else with Wood. Instead they've opted to push the pace a ridiculous amount and score in transition. In both UTA and LAC, the Mavs ran several dribble hand off's and a motion offense, again a far cry from what they've usually been doing. Wood has looked lost on offense, and instead has resorted to plodding post ups that appear to be an insurgent black mark on this new high tempo look.

Could that be because Luka's sidelined? Maybe?

If it's a look into the future of how Kidd wants to play with Kyrie than there is a reason why Wood has been phased out the last 2 games. 

Look, I'm not writing anything in stone. Perhaps Luka comes back, Wood returns to his 18/10 ways and we all forget about this last week. But Kidd and the Mavs have made it clear they do not prioritize Wood at all. Ever since he was traded for he's been put on the back burner (to the annoyance of many). So I'm looking at this shift in style and I'm making the bet that they're not going to accommodate the guy they haven't accommodated for the entire season.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Jym - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 02:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That he is, but in his limited action in UTA and against LAC, the Mavs barely ran set PnR's with Kyrie or anyone else with Wood. Instead they've opted to push the pace a ridiculous amount and score in transition. In both UTA and LAC, the Mavs ran several dribble hand off's and a motion offense, again a far cry from what they've usually been doing. Wood has looked lost on offense, and instead has resorted to plodding post ups that appear to be an insurgent black mark on this new high tempo look.

Could that be because Luka's sidelined? Maybe?

If it's a look into the future of how Kidd wants to play with Kyrie than there is a reason why Wood has been phased out the last 2 games. 

Look, I'm not writing anything in stone. Perhaps Luka comes back, Wood returns to his 18/10 ways and we all forget about this last week. But Kidd and the Mavs have made it clear they do not prioritize Wood at all. Ever since he was traded for he's been put on the back burner (to the annoyance of many). So I'm looking at this shift in style and I'm making the bet that they're not going to accommodate the guy they haven't accommodated for the entire season.

Does feel like Wood was the victim of some weird power struggle. Kidd clearly did not sign off on the trade and made it clear from the beginning and many times since that he does not believe in him. That's certainly something they need to straighten out in the future. Can't blow assets on players that Kidd is not on board with

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Jason Terry - 02-10-2023

Bullock is back to his 2nd half of last season self. If he can only play well 2nd half of seasons, I’m cool with that. That’s winning time

Last year i figured Bullock would be high minutes in the playoffs and i think we’ll see the same

Last year:
Bullock 39 mpg
DFS 38 mpg
Luka 37 mpg
Brunson 35 mpg

This year projections:
Green 39 mpg
Luka 38 mpg
Bullock 37 mpg
Kyrie 35 mpg 

And like last year there’s a solid 10 mpg drop off from those top 4

Therefore i think we see lots of time with those 4 on the court together with a 5th player which will mostly be a big. If a team goes small like Draymond at the 5 or marcus Morris at the 5 etc then Luka is big enough to be the center and guard them. The 5th player in winning time minutes is Maxi(who is probably the X factor for how deep of a run we make)

So, overall Powell, Hardaway and Wood will see the biggest minutes drop from regular season to postseason. Where Powell and Hardaway are more starters in name only

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Chicagojk - 02-10-2023

Cato made a note in his article that initial feeling is one or both of Wood and Hardaway would be dealt at the deadline per sources not authorized to speak publicly.  But that feeling faded as the market for both players disappeared over the last week.

Cato says both players have distinct roles to play, but the team view both as expendable.   Both will be deployed more purposefully and in fewer minutes per game.  

So for Hardaway, it is probably best not consider him anything more than a salary filler this offseason.   But while he probably isn't as heavily counted on now after the trade, he will probably be needed in a playoff series.   Maybe a reduced workload will make it hurt less when he has those 3-13 games and this team really struggles without his production.  

For Wood, it certainly feels like he is not thought of someone who is going to command 20 plus million this offseason.   I hope he buys in though.  This will be his first chance to play in important games.   If he shows well, he may very well have several suitors this offseason near the price range he is hoping for.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - DanSchwartzgan - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 08:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Cato made a note in his article that initial feeling is one or both of Wood and Hardaway would be dealt at the deadline per sources not authorized to speak publicly.  But that feeling faded as the market for both players disappeared over the last week.

Cato says both players have distinct roles to play, but the team view both as expendable.   Both will be deployed more purposefully and in fewer minutes per game.  

This lines up with my post in another thread about lineups in the playoffs.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Chicagojk - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 07:47 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Bullock is back to his 2nd half of last season self. If he can only play well 2nd half of seasons, I’m cool with that. That’s winning time

Last year i figured Bullock would be high minutes in the playoffs and i think we’ll see the same

Last year:
Bullock 39 mpg
DFS 38 mpg
Luka 37 mpg
Brunson 35 mpg

This year projections:
Green 39 mpg
Luka 38 mpg
Bullock 37 mpg
Kyrie 35 mpg 

And like last year there’s a solid 10 mpg drop off from those top 4

Therefore i think we see lots of time with those 4 on the court together with a 5th player which will mostly be a big. If a team goes small like Draymond at the 5 or marcus Morris at the 5 etc then Luka is big enough to be the center and guard them. The 5th player in winning time minutes is Maxi(who is probably the X factor for how deep of a run we make)

So, overall Powell, Hardaway and Wood will see the biggest minutes drop from regular season to postseason. Where Powell and Hardaway are more starters in name only

Just at a quick look, that feels really high for Josh Green.  We really need him on the court, but man those playoffs minutes are so hard.   For a guy, who very rarely got over 30 minutes until recently that is a lot to ask.  I think I would feel better him around 34 minutes and Bullock at 32ish.   It would be nice to have one extra body to suck up 15 or so minutes to give them more rest.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Branduil - 02-10-2023

It will be so Mavs if Wood plays really well in the playoffs and then promptly signs a big contract with some other team

Anyone have a DMN subscription?  I saw on reddit in Callie Caplan's latest article she reported a person familiar to the negotiations confirmed the front office has not offered Wood a contract extension despite recent national reporting to the contrary.  

That is weird.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - MFFL - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 09:38 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Anyone have a DMN subscription?  I saw on reddit in Callie Caplan's latest article she reported a person familiar to the negotiations confirmed the front office has not offered Wood a contract extension despite recent national reporting to the contrary.  

That is weird.

Wood, making $14.3 million in the final season of his three-year deal, remains eligible until June 30 to sign a contract extension worth up to four years, $77 million.

If the Mavericks offer one.

A person familiar with negotiations confirmed Dallas’ front office has not offered Wood a contract extension, despite recent national reporting to the contrary. Doing so would appear unlikely to benefit the Mavericks’ roster-building flexibility as they evaluate long-term prospects with the controversy-ridden Irving.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - KillerLeft - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 09:38 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Anyone have a DMN subscription?  I saw on reddit in Callie Caplan's latest article she reported a person familiar to the negotiations confirmed the front office has not offered Wood a contract extension despite recent national reporting to the contrary.  

That is weird.

Is it weird?

They are laying the "cap space fallback option" angle on THICK, and regardless whether you or I like that idea, don't like it or even think it's just a way of justifying having a path out of the luxury tax, it's pretty clear the origin for that reporting is the team

Plus, they seem not to value Wood all that much on the court, so far. If Kleber never gets hurt, I honestly wonder if the role he started the season with might have decreased over time (that might be what we're about to see, if the recent substitution patterns are any indication)...not sure about that part, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up getting like 15 minutes per once Kleber comes back. 

I'd say there's an 80% chance he's gone this summer. It's the reason I was hoping they'd trade him. I still believe in his potential, but it just doesn't seem like they're interested in investing in it and taking the time. After the trade, I can kind of understand it.

(02-10-2023, 09:48 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is it weird?

They are laying the "cap space fallback option" angle on THICK, and regardless whether you or I like that idea, don't like it or even think it's just a way of justifying having a path out of the luxury tax, it's pretty clear the origin for that reporting is the team

Plus, they seem not to value Wood all that much on the court, so far. If Kleber never gets hurt, I honestly wonder if the role he started the season with might have decreased over time (that might be what we're about to see, if the recent substitution patterns are any indication)...not sure about that part, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up getting like 15 minutes per once Kleber comes back. 

I'd say there's an 80% chance he's gone this summer. It's the reason I was hoping they'd trade him. I still believe in his potential, but it just doesn't seem like they're interested in investing in it and taking the time. After the trade, I can kind of understand it.

Yeah, you are probably right

I was thinking yesterday, how depressed I would be if no move was made at the deadline.  Now this Kyrie thing could and may blow up in our face and leave us at a much worse spot.

But still, if no trade was made and needing to watch the old team for the rest of the year with such an uncertain future would be depressing.

Now, at least on the court, I can envision and final end game.   We have our three attackers in Luka, Kyrie, Hardy (not quite ready probably).  We may need to find a low cost guard who provides stability when needed.

We have wing defenders in Josh, Bullock (may not be long term), & Maxi (may not be long term).   If we add one more really good wing that that pairing looks good.   

And we probably need to find a lower cost center.  

But I can envision a final version.   It is just hard to to focus on all the other stuff though.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - F Gump - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 03:44 AM)Jym Wrote: Does feel like Wood was the victim of some weird power struggle. Kidd clearly did not sign off on the trade and made it clear from the beginning and many times since that he does not believe in him. That's certainly something they need to straighten out in the future. Can't blow assets on players that Kidd is not on board with

I never bought into any of this type of excusy narrative about Wood, and as time has gone along, I think we have seen why Kidd didn't simply hand a starting role to Wood as some wanted him to do.

Wood does have some helpful skills on the offensive end, to an extent. But he can be a very clunky fit with other players, and his defense is inconsistent at best. We've also seen plenty of hints of more issues with him that we don't see from outside the inner circles of the team. When the team without Luka has looked good and played like a team, with a sizable opening for Wood to be a big factor, wow has he looked like a spare while others stepped up their game. So even now, it's uncertain imo whether he's of value to re-sign or a great risk to commit to.

I wonder how hard he'd work if he got an extension. Not sure he can be trusted.

I suspect the jury is still out on whether the Mavs see him as a needed answer going forward, or whether they just need to move on. The more I see his play, not just his highlights, the more even an extension-money deal scares me. But I would love to be proven wrong on how valuable he is going to be!

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - KillerLeft - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 10:01 AM)F Gump Wrote: I suspect the jury is still out on whether the Mavs see him as a needed answer going forward, or whether they just need to move on.

The jury might still be out for us, but I sure get the feeling the jury is in for the Mavs. I think they straight up don't want him, moving forward...but, maybe that's tied to a disconnect on role/remuneration, and I suppose maybe there's still time for expectation alignment, to your point. Sure seems like the adjusted expectations will need to come from him, however.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Mavs2021 - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 10:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The jury might still be out for us, but I sure get the feeling the jury is in for the Mavs. I think they straight up don't want him, moving forward...but, maybe that's tied to a disconnect on role/remuneration, and I suppose maybe there's still time for expectation alignment, to your point. Sure seems like the adjusted expectations will need to come from him, however.

If they don´t want him they wasted another 1st round pick. I think they just figured out that he won´t get 77/4 and offer him something like 40/3 (team option). He can take it or leave it. If he´s smart, he´ll swallow his pride and understand that he doubles his career earnings into "secure for life, if not a super-moron"-territory.

(02-10-2023, 10:35 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If he´s smart

Bingo, I think you've identified that elusive "why don't teams like him" issue.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - DanSchwartzgan - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 10:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The jury might still be out for us, but I sure get the feeling the jury is in for the Mavs. I think they straight up don't want him, moving forward...but, maybe that's tied to a disconnect on role/remuneration, and I suppose maybe there's still time for expectation alignment, to your point. Sure seems like the adjusted expectations will need to come from him, however.

I like the way Cato put this.  There is a role for Wood, it just isn’t as large as he (and many here) might think.  Wood is most effective and efficient when he plays 20-29 minutes.  The team does best when he plays alongside Maxi (and Green).  You can’t build a rotation around a backup center, but you can certainly lose  games if you can’t figure out how to accentuate the positives he brings while hiding the holes in his game.  As a board, we have spilled way too much ink and directed way too much ire toward coaches and people who dared to defend the decisions the coach made until injuries forced his hand.

To your last point, I have very little confidence in his emotional intelligence.  His recent tweets don’t encourage me.  BTW, I think we have been talking about extensions for the wrong big.  Maybe the one who is +9.7 in On/Off and has a TS% ONE HUNDRED basis points higher than Wood should get more consideration.  I doubt it happens given our supposed desire for summer flexibility (I don’t really buy that and think Kyrie stays, but who knows).

(02-10-2023, 11:06 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: To your last point, I have very little confidence in his emotional intelligence.  His recent tweets don’t encourage me.  BTW, I think we have been talking about extensions for the wrong big.  Maybe the one who is +9.7 in On/Off and has a TS% ONE HUNDRED basis points higher than Wood should get more consideration.  I doubt it happens given our supposed desire for summer flexibility (I don’t really buy that and think Kyrie stays, but who knows).

Agreed.

And, doesn't it kind of feel like Powell will see value in staying here, enough even to wait around for clarity on the team's overall direction to see whether or not that's possible, enough to resist jumping on any first week offer to pull him away? 

It does to me. I bet he'll be back, if the Mavs want him, even at slightly less money.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - SleepingHero - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 11:11 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed.

And, doesn't it kind of feel like Powell will see value in staying here, enough even to wait around for clarity on the team's overall direction to see whether or not that's possible, enough to resist jumping on any first week offer to pull him away? 

It does to me. I bet he'll be back, if the Mavs want him, even at slightly less money.

I don't know what team will be throwing money at Powell. He's not a splashy FA signing.

I've actually come around and figure he'd be worth a 3/33 extension. If only because the Mavs need contracts around that value to package in a trade.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - vfromlmf - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 11:06 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: His recent tweets don’t encourage me.

https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/1621694937699057668?s=20&t=MW7OaH5v38JzQ99_Wkyygg

Like this one? I'm all for confidence but he clearly sees himself as an All-Star. I saw this myself and immediately cringed. But is it irrational? I don't think so. Maybe it's more about fit. Maybe Kidd just thinks they don't need an offense-minded All-Star center. Maybe it's about pairing Luka with a dirty work big who sets screens and defends. 

Maybe all the shade the Mavs are throwing at Wood is about getting him on a team-friendly contract!? I'm skeptical, but we'll find out if/when the Mavs offer one.

You do have some folks who know a lot more about basketball than me, who think Wood should be an All-Star

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/1609223752369184768?s=20&t=muiht7ssA_XVKv5Rk_n1HQ

(02-10-2023, 11:17 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't know what team will be throwing money at Powell. He's not a splashy FA signing.

I think many of us would be surprised at how popular of a target Powell would be in FA...south of a certain dollar amount, obviously. I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't make it onto a number of teams' short lists for MLE targets.