MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Jason Terry - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 08:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: It would be fairly close to game over.  Most of us that preferred the patient route acknowledged it would still be a tough row to hoe.  Compared to that we are basically dumping Dorian, Dinwiddie, Wood, Powell, Frank and a very valuable first round pick, all for the best case scenario of paying VanVleet 30+ mil.  Is that an even trade?  And right now we would only have 2 firsts next offseason, not 3.  I'm not convinced the discussion has been had with the nets to push the 29 to 30 for a tip.
3 FRPs and space is nowhere close to nothing. And i don’t think the patient route was an option for Luka. It’s a players league. Plus i trust Luka more than basketball idiot Cuban. If he wants to go for it now, let’s do it. I trust him. Luka talks all the time about not playing too many years. I don’t think he’s one of those guys that wants to play forever. He’s already in his prime

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - mvossman - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 08:42 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: 3 FRPs and space is nowhere close to nothing. And i don’t think the patient route was an option for Luka. It’s a players league. Plus i trust Luka more than basketball idiot Cuban. If he wants to go for it now, let’s do it. I trust him. Luka talks all the time about not playing too many years. I don’t think he’s one of those guys that wants to play forever. He’s already in his prime

I didn't say it was nothing (although I did point out its only two picks), its just not nearly enough if Kyrie walks.  Cap space is not as valuable as some folks make it out to be.  This franchise has no history bringing in high level free agents including the current group two years ago when they had over 30 mil in space and decided to go with Timmy/Bullock/WCS/Brown instead.  Its even less valuable this coming offseason when you look at the meager free agent class that will be available.  If Kyrie walks for nothing, its hard to see a path to contention during Luka's current contract.  

That's why angling for cap space right now is crazy.  They are all in on Kyrie.  The only way Kyrie leaves and they are not totally screwed is a S&T for assets, and that means no cap space anyways.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - LukaMVP - 02-08-2023

agree, we have never landed a big name FA in the franchise history as far as i remember. We had a champion squad in 11 but cuban disbanded it for the stupid hope of getting big FAs. We got the cap space but ended up spending it on chandler parsons instead.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - ItsGoTime - 02-08-2023

Considering the Timberwolves are also a franchise that begs to be screwed over. Kyrie SnT for Ant and KAT! We can give them our couple picks.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - BigDirk41 - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 09:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Considering the Timberwolves are also a franchise that begs to be screwed over. Kyrie SnT for Ant and KAT! We can give them our couple picks.

I'm all for this..lol. Great trade for both sides.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - SleepingHero - 02-08-2023

KAT is such a loser though.

I'd rather have Kyrie and his nutcase issues than loser KAT.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - DanSchwartzgan - 02-08-2023

OK, LAL made a move.  Utah traded their often mentioned guys.  Reddish is moved.  Hart is moved.  What is left?

Toronto guys?

Atlanta guys?

Detroit guys?

Charlotte guys?

Poeltl

Ayton/Crowder

Lowry

Bamba/Harris

Philly getting under the tax.

Still lots of possibilities tomorrow.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Chicagojk - 02-09-2023

Next year:  so Luka why did you enter camp at 180 pounds?

Luka:  if I don’t put my running shoes in, I will never get the ball playing with Kyrie, Josh and Jaden.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - mvossman - 02-09-2023

(02-08-2023, 11:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: OK, LAL made a move.  Utah traded their often mentioned guys.  Reddish is moved.  Hart is moved.  What is left?

Toronto guys?

Atlanta guys?

Detroit guys?

Charlotte guys?

Poeltl

Ayton/Crowder

Lowry

Bamba/Harris

Philly getting under the tax.

Still lots of possibilities tomorrow.

Some random thoughts:

Timmy+Wood for Tobias Harris

Timmy+27 for Bojan

Timmy+Wood for Collins plus salary filler

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Chicagojk - 02-09-2023

Quite a contrast with Luka who will bulldoze you to the basket and use his strength and height to shoot over you vs Kyrie who will zoom by you.

With a spread floor they are going to cause all sorts of problems.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - KillerLeft - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 12:43 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: With a spread floor they are going to cause all sorts of problems.

[Image: upright-point.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - BigDirk41 - 02-09-2023

I'm so happy we have a closer on the free throw line. That has cost us so many games over the years. Maybe it will motivate Luka to learn how to shoot them.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Jym - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 12:43 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Quite a contrast with Luka who will bulldoze you to the basket and use his strength and height to shoot over you vs Kyrie who will zoom by you.

With a spread floor they are going to cause all sorts of problems.

Sometimes the refs just will not call the obvious fouls. 
Kyrie can zoom in and get a contested layup anyway in a place where we'd normally bog down and fizzle out

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - ItsGoTime - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 12:45 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Maybe it will motivate Luka to learn how to shoot them.
Hopefully he passes on some of that calm for the refs not calling the game you want them to call too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - omahen - 02-09-2023

With Irving trade, I am most interested in Luka, if he can make two adjustments - play faster (not necessarily himself but letting other guys push it) and move the ball more? Mavs substantially changed offense last two games.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - F Gump - 02-09-2023

(02-08-2023, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Listening to McMahon and Lowe today...it sure seems like the "cap space fallback" is rhetoric coming from the Mavericks and not some random thought by a media person that everyone's running with.

Sure, it's obviously Mavs putting out a spin-type disclaimer. But, as Lowe and TM noted, it's not like it's their Plan A2 or something.

Instead, it's Cuban putting lipstick on the pig of "what if your plan goes upside down?". "Hey, we have a GREAT back door, no worries," he wants you to hear.

He's showing us the old expression of 'whistling past the graveyard.' Don't be fooled, they are all in on keeping Kyrie. And they know the alternative is not good.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - DanSchwartzgan - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 12:36 AM)mvossman Wrote: Some random thoughts:

Timmy+Wood for Tobias Harris

Timmy+27 for Bojan

Timmy+Wood for Collins plus salary filler

I'm wondering if it isn't Bertans + 27 for Bojan.  Wood looked unhappy/lethargic last night, but he played.  THJ looked like he was playing for his zip code.  It was Bertans who was out.  I get this doesn't help the D and Bojan/Powell isn't exactly a menacing front court (though Maxi would probably close).  But, adding a big wing/small PF balances out the roster pretty well and that level outside shooter and ball mover would make the O even more frightening.

Powell    Wood    McGee
Bojan     Maxi      Morris
Green     THJ       Pinson
Irving     Bullock   Hardy
Luka                    Frank

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - Jason Terry - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 08:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm wondering if it isn't Bertans + 27 for Bojan.  Wood looked unhappy/lethargic last night, but he played.  THJ looked like he was playing for his zip code.  It was Bertans who was out.  I get this doesn't help the D and Bojan/Powell isn't exactly a menacing front court (though Maxi would probably close).  But, adding a big wing/small PF balances out the roster pretty well and that level outside shooter and ball mover would make the O even more frightening.

Powell    Wood    McGee
Bojan     Maxi      Morris
Green     THJ       Pinson
Irving     Bullock   Hardy
Luka                    Frank
I would do Bojan if we got back some defenders as well. Bey, Diallo and Noel. Make it a bigger trade

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - LukaMVP - 02-09-2023

if we manage to get bojan and a decent defensive big (noel or someone else) at the expense of 27 + fillers (bertans, THJ etc...), we would be the biggest winner in the trade market this season imho.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi should return post ASB | Silva to Mavs - omahen - 02-09-2023

I would prefer Houston, of course no idea about their willingnes. Unprotected FRP seems a lot for Bogi, who is not a perfect fit on this team. I am not sure if any of their PF fits the Mavs needs. 

Tate and Martin would be ideal (McGee as the matching salary), Gordon and Martin would also be ok, imho.

(02-09-2023, 08:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: But, adding a big wing/small PF balances out the roster pretty well and that level outside shooter and ball mover would make the O even more frightening.

Offense with Bogdanovic would be scary. The only thing I would worry - do we have enough shots for everyone? I would still prefer a defensively oriented PF and Bogi as 6th man. Luka-Kai-Green-PF-Powell or Maxi with Bogi from bench playing heavy minutes capable to jump in from anyone in the starting line-up but the center