MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 01:09 PM)omahen Wrote: THJ for Lowry would not be a bad move imho, if no picks from Mavs are involved. Really not sure why Miami would do it. They need Lowry more than THJ imho.

Well, it's just a rumor, and even if it's gospel, the phrasing was "initial" talks, so it will probably come to nothing. For the record, I'm more into it the longer I think about it. I'd much prefer this move to the other rumor about LaVert. 

One thing that's starting to feel like a true takeaway: The Mavs are shopping Hardaway.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Nowitzki Way - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 01:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: One thing that's starting to feel like a true takeaway: The Mavs are shopping Hardaway.

This might the biggest takeaway to today's rumor. There is too much smoke on Hardaway. Especially for a Mavs front office that has been good about leaks in the past.

I think THJ's days in Dallas are numbered. Just not sold we'll get a good return.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - F Gump - 01-11-2023

Now that the Mavs have ended the cupcake portion of the schedule, it is concerning to see their level of play against the tough teams like BOS and LAC. If this is a preview of what they can do in the playoffs, it's very discouraging.

1 I don't see any way that the big man rotation is effective enough. Wood as the single big, playing against starters, is getting them killed on the boards and on defense. They desperately need McGee to be effective and to contribute, to help fill those holes, and he's just not.

(What a terrible evaluation that was, to decide McGee was the way to address the big man needs of this team.)

2 Obviously not having any of Maxi, DFS, or Green is a major handicap. Would their return be enough to change the results we are seeing?

3 I keep coming back to the thought that the Mavs' 2-year extension limit has to do with a desire to only have Wood under a longer contract IF he can be traded.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 02:10 PM)F Gump Wrote: Obviously not having any of Maxi, DFS, or Green is a major handicap. Would their return be enough to change the results we are seeing?

Results?  Maybe, maybe not.

Competitiveness?  Absolutely.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - ItsGoTime - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 02:51 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Results?  Maybe, maybe not.

Competitiveness?  Absolutely.
Yes. Also, with Luka, all we need to be is competitive and he mostly takes care of the rest.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - dirkfansince1998 - 01-14-2023

Watching the Blazers game. Maxi is out for the season. Wood is out for the game. The Mavs have an open roster spot. Is it too much to ask for a 10-day contract. Or do they really prefer to play Luka at center?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - DanSchwartzgan - 01-15-2023

(01-14-2023, 01:09 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wood #44

Dinwiddie #55

This post comes from the Luka thread.  It was an add-on to Kamm's post about the top 100 players in the league ranked by likelihood to be selected to the All-Star game.  Luka was #1.  Here is how they describe the measure in their words:

"These are NOT simple player rankings. They measure award likelihood based on individual success, peak performance, availability, and team success."

Some other player ranks from among players who are in trade rumors currently include:

19:  Siakam
36:  Ayton (not in rumors, just my wishful thinking)
50:  Clarkson
51:  Kuzma
54:  FVV
58:  Anunoby
59:  M Turner
62:  D Russell
72:  H Barnes
75:  G Trent
83:  Bogdanovic
93:  Oubre
94:  Plumlee

There has been some talk lately about 2nd 'True Star' vs. multiple "B-Level" guys like Wood and Dinwiddie.  Given where those guys rank, I'd probably arbitrarily set that at 35-75 range.  That's kind of the point where the 1A and 1B guys run out and you start getting third best players on a good team.  Note that most of these guys are playing for contracts including Clarkson, Kuzma, Turner, Russell, Barnes and Trent.  FVV is playing for an extension.  The rumors say most of these guys can be had for a first or less (other than the Toronto guys and Ayton).  

Stein says THJ is on the block.  It makes sense to me as he stands in the way of Josh and to a lesser extent Hardy.  If you can fill in the hole created by Hardaway with someone you already have, then it makes perfect sense to see if you can get something of value for him.  If so, here is how I see the depth chart with THJ gone.  The question is which spot most desparately needs that additional B-Level guy?

Luka     SD        Green      Maxi        C Wood

SD            Reggie       DFS               Powell

Hardy    Frank      Bertans    McGee

I'm putting Maxi in the starting lineup over DFS.  Don't know that that will happen, but his is how I'd do it to help make Wood's D work.  We know the team has had success doing the Wood/Maxi combo against mainly subs.  I think you can make an argument for needing an upgrade to several positions in the nine man.  Could you use another ball handler...there is a hole there, so absolutely.  Could you use a 4/5...yes, especially with Maxi hurt and Powell expiring...yes.  I think the hard part is figuring out what to do with the guys who are O-Only or O-Mainly.  IF SD and Wood really are your B-Level guys, then how do you justify moving them to the bench?  But, if you bring in an O-Only guy for Green or Maxi (or DFS), then you've crushed your defensive balance.  There is part of me that would almost rather go outside NBA Math's top 100 and fill holes with players just outside of that range.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - The Jom - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 10:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This post comes from the Luka thread.  It was an add-on to Kamm's post about the top 100 players in the league ranked by likelihood to be selected to the All-Star game.  Luka was #1.  Here is how they describe the measure in their words:

"These are NOT simple player rankings. They measure award likelihood based on individual success, peak performance, availability, and team success."

Some other player ranks from among players who are in trade rumors currently include:

There has been some talk lately about 2nd 'True Star' vs. multiple "B-Level" guys like Wood and Dinwiddie.  Given where those guys rank, I'd probably arbitrarily set that at 35-75 range.  That's kind of the point where the 1A and 1B guys run out and you start getting third best players on a good team.  Note that most of these guys are playing for contracts including Clarkson, Kuzma, Turner, Russell, Barnes and Trent.  FVV is playing for an extension.  The rumors say most of these guys can be had for a first or less (other than the Toronto guys and Ayton).  

Stein says THJ is on the block.  It makes sense to me as he stands in the way of Josh and to a lesser extent Hardy.  If you can fill in the hole created by Hardaway with someone you already have, then it makes perfect sense to see if you can get something of value for him.  If so, here is how I see the depth chart with THJ gone.  The question is which spot most desparately needs that additional B-Level guy?

I'm putting Maxi in the starting lineup over DFS.  Don't know that that will happen, but his is how I'd do it to help make Wood's D work.  We know the team has had success doing the Wood/Maxi combo against mainly subs.  I think you can make an argument for needing an upgrade to several positions in the nine man.  Could you use another ball handler...there is a hole there, so absolutely.  Could you use a 4/5...yes, especially with Maxi hurt and Powell expiring...yes.  I think the hard part is figuring out what to do with the guys who are O-Only or O-Mainly.  IF SD and Wood really are your B-Level guys, then how do you justify moving them to the bench?  But, if you bring in an O-Only guy for Green or Maxi (or DFS), then you've crushed your defensive balance.  There is part of me that would almost rather go outside NBA Math's top 100 and fill holes with players just outside of that range.

The hole is at defensive 5. That’s why we prioritized McGee. That’s why Maxi’s value here is so huge. If Turner can still ball, he’s the best fit.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 10:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This post comes from the Luka thread.  It was an add-on to Kamm's post about the top 100 players in the league ranked by likelihood to be selected to the All-Star game.  Luka was #1.  Here is how they describe the measure in their words:

I'm going to assume that Dorian just had a bad couple of months as opposed to starting some huge decline.  In that world he makes more sense than Maxi in the starting lineup, especially in the regular season when Maxi needs his minutes managed.  I also think SD is a classic 6th man, which is generally considered just as important as a 4th or 5th starter.  So if we are talking about long term lineups with Timmy outgoing and what is needed, I see:

Luka     Green            DFS/???     DFS/???   Wood

SD        Frank/Hardy   Bullock      Maxi        Powell

I would argue what this team needs more than anything is a big wing that is a plus defender, can space the floor, rebound, and ideally create for themselves or others.  Depending on that players skillset, we may also need to get a legit backup point guard at a higher level than Wright.  I also think if you are sending Timmy out, you could easily add Bullock to him if you need a big salary match.

If you look at the options for that big wing, both Siakam and Anunoby make a ton of sense.  I think either would be worth a massive asset expenditure to land.  

I'm struggling to find a really good fit after those two.  I don't know that there is anyone out there that fits that need and has any hint of being on the block that would be worth significant draft capital.  I am also struggling with a straight up trade involving Timmy that makes sense.  

Of course, this is all predicated on the Mavs extending Wood.  One crazy thought is some kind of a trade involving Wood for Turner.  That completely changes the roster construction situation.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - DanSchwartzgan - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 12:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm going to assume that Dorian just had a bad couple of months as opposed to starting some huge decline.  In that world he makes more sense than Maxi in the starting lineup, especially in the regular season when Maxi needs his minutes managed.  I also think SD is a classic 6th man, which is generally considered just as important as a 4th or 5th starter.  So if we are talking about long term lineups with Timmy outgoing and what is needed, I see:

Luka     Green            DFS/???     DFS/???   Wood

SD        Frank/Hardy   Bullock      Maxi        Powell

I would argue what this team needs more than anything is a big wing that is a plus defender, can space the floor, rebound, and ideally create for themselves or others.  Depending on that players skillset, we may also need to get a legit backup point guard at a higher level than Wright.  I also think if you are sending Timmy out, you could easily add Bullock to him if you need a big salary match.

If you look at the options for that big wing, both Siakam and Anunoby make a ton of sense.  I think either would be worth a massive asset expenditure to land.  

I'm struggling to find a really good fit after those two.  I don't know that there is anyone out there that fits that need and has any hint of being on the block that would be worth significant draft capital.  I am also struggling with a straight up trade involving Timmy that makes sense.  

Of course, this is all predicated on the Mavs extending Wood.  One crazy thought is some kind of a trade involving Wood for Turner.  That completely changes the roster construction situation.

I think your grid is a reasonable way to look at things with regard to Maxi and Dorian.  SD is going to finish games.  He’s just too clutch.  He’s our second largest salary and third best player (at least by the rating system for all-star selection used by NBA math).  I really don’t see a world where he isn’t starting near term.

I’m not intending to ‘slight’ Dorian, but I don’t like the fit with Wood.  I’d rather have a bigger body and some more shot blocking on the floor when Wood starts and finishes halves.  DFS can be the three (probably moving Green to the bench), can come off the bench or might have to be included in the deal if you are trading for one of the big name guys.

Your term of ‘big wing who is a plus defender’ kind of applies to Maxi and Dorian, but neither is ideal in my mind.  Maybe someone who is stronger and longer than Dorian and healthier than Maxi.  If you could find the ideal guy to start at the four, Dorian can start at the three and Maxi come off the bench.  I’m not sure Collins or Kuzma fit the bill defensively.  I like longer guys like Vanderbilt or McDaniels (the Minnesota version).  If Vanderbilt is available, I’d love to be in on that.  He’s not in the top 100 from NBA math, but if you hope to get someone without giving up a first, you will need to identify someone who can grow into the spot.  I LOVE the idea of Green and Vandy wreaking havoc alongside three guys who are primarily scorers for several years to come.

THJ and Frank are a salary match for Vanderbilt and Conley.  If you assume Conley’s big money next year is negative value, maybe you trade THJ to one of the teams that reportedly wants him and send Frank and the third team’s trade match to Utah.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Nowitzki Way - 01-16-2023

OG would be the ultimate prize here.

Vanderbilt is a good name.

But i think THE GUY could be Kuzma. I think he fits on this team, especially after a THJ trade.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 12:01 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: But i think THE GUY could be Kuzma. I think he fits on this team, especially after a THJ trade.

He plays the right position and brings some of the skills needed. Not sure he's going to help the team defense much but I don't hate it. 

However, and this isn't really logical, I've always struggled with his personality. He's really hard to like, imho. Not a reason to avoid him, basketball wise, but a reason I hope for better as a fan.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Kammrath - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 12:01 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Kuzma

Meh. He is a SD level player. And that is not a compliment.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Nowitzki Way - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 12:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He plays the right position and brings some of the skills needed. Not sure he's going to help the team defense much but I don't hate it. 

However, and this isn't really logical, I've always struggled with his personality. He's really hard to like, imho. Not a reason to avoid him, basketball wise, but a reason I hope for better as a fan.

His defense isnt as ideal as we'd want for this conversation. But Kuzma with better defensive ability isn't a player that would be available. 

I think his offensive skill would be unique to this team. He also has the size at 6'9" that would be desirable. 

But man i get you on his personality. He seems odd. But i wouldnt avoid him because of it either.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - cow - 01-16-2023

Kuzma is more well rounded than THJ offensively but seems to be as streaky.  There are times when he looks like a world better.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 01-16-2023

In addition to trading THJ..
I'd like a small trade involving McGee and Reggie.

If THJ nets the Mavs a wing, then this is what I'd like:

McGee + Reggie for Holmes + Lyles + SRPick

I am more optimistic of Holmes improving his game back to where it was a season ago than betting on McGee to stay productive for any 10 minute stretch. McGee is just a waste of roster spot. As for Lyles, Maxi wouldn't be 100% when he comes back. Lyles can hold the fort for Maxi this season as the 3andD 4.

The Kings wants to ship out Holmes. But that's just going to be hard to do. McGee's contract is half the price, and they'd still get the same production. Doesn't sound good for the Mavs, but IMHo, all Holmes has to do is put in some effort and he'd pass McGee's play easily. As for RB, well, RB can hurt the Mavs if the Mavs and Kings face each other in the play-offs. Thing is -- the Mavs without Maxi or a Maxi-like player in the play-offs would be easy pickings. The stretch 4 big who can defend is the bigger need. DFS and Green can cover for RB, but Maxi only has Wood and Bertans, with Wood better suited at C.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Tyler - 01-19-2023

Surprisingly good Maxi news:
https://twitter.com/BallySportsSW/status/1615865240310190080

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | Wood breaks left thumb - Kammrath - 01-19-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1616170505979179008

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | Wood breaks left thumb - ThisIStheYear - 01-19-2023

Are the Mavs through?  Maybe.  And not just for this season, the stench of which may haunt this franchise for years to come.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | Wood breaks left thumb - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-19-2023

Damn. Get 2 back, and lose one. This is not shaping up to be a good year.