MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 01:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, if Green is as ready for huge minutes as we think, you might be able to fill both holes with ONE high paid player *coughRussellcough*.

Someone who can play off ball like Hardaway and create like Dinwiddie, who is at least in the ballpark, defensively (probably better than Dinwiddie, I bet). Then, throw Green some extra minutes behind them at the 2 and supplement with Hardy. 

I'd be all over that.

I think I'm out on this one.  Russell falls in the same defensive category as Dinwiddie, bad.  In fact, I'm not sure he is really much different than Dinwiddie.  Din has actually been better off ball than Russell since being a Mav and they are scoring about the same.

Also (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Timmy is the best healthy 3&D player we have right now.  If he continues to play at this elevated defensive level (at least average) he has much more value to this team.  I still think he probably makes the most sense outgoing (although I could see a strong argument for sending out Din if the incoming is a quality playmaker) but in either case I think it needs to be a legit two way player or we are not moving the needle enough.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 02:49 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think I'm out on this one.  Russell falls in the same defensive category as Dinwiddie, bad.  In fact, I'm not sure he is really much different than Dinwiddie.  Din has actually been better off ball than Russell since being a Mav and they are scoring about the same.

Also (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Timmy is the best healthy 3&D player we have right now.  If he continues to play at this elevated defensive level (at least average) he has much more value to this team.  I still think he probably makes the most sense outgoing (although I could see a strong argument for sending out Din if the incoming is a quality playmaker) but in either case I think it needs to be a legit two way player or we are not moving the needle enough.

Honestly, I'd try to do it for only one of Hardaway/Dinwiddie, not both, along with whatever you have to give up (which hopefully isn't much). 

But, it seems like I have a higher opinion of Russell than you do. I certainly agree he's not a perfect player, but I feel like he's the best of the Russell, Hardaway, Dinwiddie trio and the one I'd pick first if given the choice. Just my opinion. I think he's having a bad season, but so was Dinwiddie at this time last year, at least according to the streets. I think the chaos that the Gobert trade has caused in Minnesota is poised for exploitation, personally, and since there's no way they're getting Edwards or KAT...Russell looks like opportunity (that the Mavs can afford) to me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - F Gump - 01-06-2023

D-Lo for Hardaway/McGee?

Sure I'd do that deal. And D-Lo might only be a rental.

But I doubt Minny would. I suspect they would hope to find someone to offer "expiring plus a pick" and this isn't giving them any of that. What will be interesting is what happens if they still have him when his contract expires, and then what do they do.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 03:23 PM)F Gump Wrote: D-Lo for Hardaway/McGee?

Sure I'd do that deal. And D-Lo might only be a rental.

But I doubt Minny would. I suspect they would hope to find someone to offer "expiring plus a pick" and this isn't giving them any of that. What will be interesting is what happens if they still have him when his contract expires, and then what do they do.

You might be absolutely right. 

Let me offer my (wishful thinking) devil's advocate bit. 

He's expiring, likely never wanted to be there in the first place (even I have enough options in my career to avoid living in Minnesota) and will very likely not be back. Maybe they believe they can get the off-ball spacing benefit he provides (while losing some of the on-ball agency) back via Hardaway on at a significantly lower price, and honestly, they might even view acquiring a player with some experience and a little name recognition who's locked in on a three year deal as a positive, even. If I think super wishfully I can even talk myself into the idea that they might think his well-known locker room positivity and professionalism are plusses. 

TL;DR - yes, you're probably correct that this exact deal wouldn't fly, and it would require enough to make it more painful from our perspective, BUT, I do think Russell is getting traded at the deadline (especially now that I know he's expiring) and I doubt there will be a huge bidding war for him. Personally, I think I can imagine it being in the Mavs' wheelhouse if they're interested. I would be.

(01-06-2023, 03:23 PM)F Gump Wrote: What will be interesting is what happens if they still have him when his contract expires, and then what do they do.

It's very likely I'll still be onboard with him as a target if/when this point is reached, depending on what occurs between now and then.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 02:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Honestly, I'd try to do it for only one of Hardaway/Dinwiddie, not both, along with whatever you have to give up (which hopefully isn't much). 

But, it seems like I have a higher opinion of Russell than you do. I certainly agree he's not a perfect player, but I feel like he's the best of the Russell, Hardaway, Dinwiddie trio and the one I'd pick first if given the choice. Just my opinion. I think he's having a bad season, but so was Dinwiddie at this time last year, at least according to the streets. I think the chaos that the Gobert trade has caused in Minnesota is poised for exploitation, personally, and since there's no way they're getting Edwards or KAT...Russell looks like opportunity (that the Mavs can afford) to me.

He probably is the best of the three, but his AAV is over 10 mil more than those guys and I'm not sure they are that far apart.

(01-06-2023, 03:59 PM)mvossman Wrote: He probably is the best of the three, but his AAV is over 10 mil more than those guys and I'm not sure they are that far apart.

Hey, re-signing him to around Hardaway money would be my next move. Less if possible, sure. But, for now I'm just saying I like the idea of him here.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Chicagojk - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 01:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bembry- was an average wing but could rebound and defend. He's a good hustle guy should they want wing depth.

Lamb- can actually score off the bench and even distribute some. His defense is terrible. Not a bad look though if they just want more reliable bench scoring.

Cousins- Please get McGee off this team and replace him with Cousins. 

Anthony- Again vet scoring. He can't defend, but is he much worse than Bertans at this point? He can hit threes pretty good too. 

All in all none of those names are ones I'm chomping at the bit for. I can make a case for almost all of them to get a run on the bench given how sorry our rotation is.

It's funny because I'd choose Dinwiddie every single time if I had the choice.

Dinwiddie can handle the ball, distribute, AND score. Hardaway is a streaky catch and shoot 3pt guy. 

We need dynamic players. THJ is not that.

I wonder if the Mavs move fast here or do they move their usual glacier approach.  I believe Kidd mentioned they could bring Kemba back for a 10 day spot.   Please stop!

Toronto just signed Joe Weiscamp from the Spurs G-league team and the Lakers signed Sterling Brown.  

I wonder if the Mavs would explore a Center?  If McGee is not playable, I wonder if you try out a guy like Whiteside???

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - omahen - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 03:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's expiring, likely never wanted to be there in the first place

He went there because KAT and him are supposed to be great friends. KAT wanted him. Of course it is very possible KAT will be traded in the summer.

(01-06-2023, 03:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I do think Russell is getting traded at the deadline (especially now that I know he's expiring) and I doubt there will be a huge bidding war for him

It will be certainly difficult to trade him. His contract is big and it is difficult to get adequate salary in return. Teams will not give up great players on longer deals for his expiring and Minny doesn't have any picks to trade. They have a couple of interesting cheap youngsters though. I don't think they can afford to lose McDaniels, but Reid is expandable as long as they have Gobert. He is likely to walk in FA anyway. But Russell + Reid package makes sense for Minny only, if they get better from what they receive back. I just don't see many possibilities. Detroit has some big contract vets but not sure Reid is best they can do for Bogi.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Chicagojk - 01-07-2023

Not sure, I truly buy this but a case can be made that Bullock is hurt the most not having a really good second creator on the roster.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1611756885912190978?s=61&t=AThspt4hO96AGZ8DzFlZfw

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Kammrath - 01-07-2023

(01-07-2023, 11:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not sure, I truly buy this but a case can be made that Bullock is hurt the most not having a really good second creator on the roster.

Yeah, Iztok's takes are not "gospel" by any means. He is hit or miss like all of us.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - SleepingHero - 01-07-2023

(01-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wonder if the Mavs would explore a Center?  If McGee is not playable, I wonder if you try out a guy like Whiteside???

History says they aren't going to add anyone until after the TDL.

See: David Lee, Amare, and several other mid season grabs. 

But I don't see how McGee suddenly starts to care. The dude looks mentally checked out. Such a shame because I genuinely thought that we'd be getting a motivated McGee that could contribute. Alas...

I'd take a stab at Cousins as soon as tomorrow. Whiteside I'm out on for the same reasons I'm out on McGee motivation and defense.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-07-2023

(01-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wonder if the Mavs would explore a Center?  If McGee is not playable, I wonder if you try out a guy like Whiteside???

[Image: i-dont-understand-any-of-this-gregory-dillard.gif]

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - sefant - 01-07-2023

(01-07-2023, 11:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not sure, I truly buy this but a case can be made that Bullock is hurt the most not having a really good second creator on the roster.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1611756885912190978?s=61&t=AThspt4hO96AGZ8DzFlZfw

I don't know, i guess its also the type of guys he defends. Tatum is kinda "slow" compared to speedy guards. Thats the same type of guys that DFS usually defends. Bigger more crafty forwards.

I think his defensive mechanics are still somehow ok, but he is being used as point of attack defender guarding the matchups with the most foot speed most of the time.

And if you can't keep those guys infront, you have a problem and the team defense has a problem. Getting blown by once in a while happens to every defender, but not at an alarming rate.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-07-2023

(01-07-2023, 11:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, Iztok's takes are not "gospel" by any means. He is hit or miss like all of us.

Yeah, I think he is more hit than most guys (especially regarding the Mavs), but not gospel.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-07-2023

(01-07-2023, 05:53 PM)sefant Wrote: I don't know, i guess its also the type of guys he defends. Tatum is kinda "slow" compared to speedy guards. Thats the same type of guys that DFS usually defends. Bigger more crafty forwards.

I think his defensive mechanics are still somehow ok, but he is being used as point of attack defender guarding the matchups with the most foot speed most of the time.

And if you can't keep those guys infront, you have a problem and the team defense has a problem. Getting blown by once in a while happens to every defender, but not at an alarming rate.

I think there is a lot of truth to this, but last year he was fairly successful as our point of attack defender.  In fact, I think Dorian was more effective last season on defense because he had Bullock to chase around guys.  But an argument could be made that Bullock is not really the right guy for that role either.  Its why Green has been so valuable on that end.  Its a shame Frank is useless offensively because he would be a great bench point of attack defender otherwise.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-07-2023

I feel like I have seen enough. I still don’t know the perfect way forward from here, but I feel like if they can get Wood under contract and just avoid the temptation of trading Green or Hardy they might have something. Those three, along with Luka, DFS and Kleber, need to be in the plans moving forward.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Kammrath - 01-07-2023

(01-07-2023, 10:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: if they can get Wood under contract and just avoid the temptation of trading Green or Hardy they might have something. Those three, along with Luka, DFS and Kleber, need to be in the plans moving forward.

FIFY

(01-07-2023, 10:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: FIFY

Nah man, those dudes are both part of why this thing got on the right track. Your assessment that they are suddenly bad players isn’t going to fly with me. I predict both will prove their value down the stretch unless Kleber’s rehab takes too long.

(01-07-2023, 10:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Your assessment that they are suddenly bad players isn’t going to fly with me

That's not my assessment at all.

(01-07-2023, 10:34 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That's not my assessment at all.

You literally said that about 10 games into the season. Has your opinion changed?

There’s no way you could possibly think they are too old to contribute for the next two or three seasons (I’d bet longer), so it can’t be that.