MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Branduil - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:16 AM)Smitty Wrote: Orrrr…. PJ Washington. *cough*

No way is PJ Washington available now.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:44 AM)Smitty Wrote: That’s a no-brainer for the Nets. Not sure the Mavs would do it.

Thanks for the humor…was actually pretty good.

To your post, you really think the Mav’s would pass on THJ/Wood for Durant?  You’d need another small salary.  Brooklyn doesn’t benefit from being terrible since they don’t have their picks for the next millennium. So, actual NBA players make some sense for them.  Wood/Dinwiddie actually makes more sense from their standpoint as they could roll out SD/Curry/Harris/Simmons/Wood with O’Neal, Claxton and Mills as their primary bench. They’d get something from the Kyrie trade also.

Lets say it is Wood/SD/Green as the outgoing.  The Luka KD combo would be unstoppable and you’ve surrounded them with good defenders in the starting lineup in McGee, DFS and Bullock.  Your top 3 bench guys are Maxi, THJ and Dragic.  You’d be a bit thin at PG given’s Dragic’s age, but you don’t need a SD/JB type of player if you have KD creating his own offense.

McGee.   Maxi/Powell
KD.        DFS/Maxi/Bertans
DFS       THJ
Bullock   Frank/Pinson
Luka.     Dragic/Hardy

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing" | "unlikely" DP is back - dirkfansince1998 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:35 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: The 18 months comment may disappoint some folks but that was always the timeline because of the draft assets we’ll have then. Also on that note, I do wonder if we’re seeing more trades with picks that don’t include protections for this very reason, I feel like protections almost act as a double edged sword because of the Stepien Rule.

RE Brunson. What I’ll never understand is why they didn’t just sign him to the 55M deal and trade him down the road if that’s how they viewed him. Just such a fumbling of an asset in my mind.

They are saying one thing but if that is the case I don´t get what they are doing in the offseason. If this is an 18 months plan they should be accumulating assets. Sign younger players with upside. Instead we are getting McGee and Dragic (if that happens).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They are saying one thing but if that is the case I don´t get what they are doing in the offseason. If this is an 18 months plan they should be accumulating assets. Sign younger players with upside. Instead we are getting McGee and Dragic (if that happens).

Seems like Wade believes they are going to make a major trade for a wing by the end of August. I assume such a wing would be both a trade asset for a future deal and a player that makes them competitive next year.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - ItsGoTime - 07-02-2022

Looks like Miles Bridges might be available around end of August (out on bail?).

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:39 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thanks for the humor…was actually pretty good.

To your post, you really think the Mav’s would pass on THJ/Wood for Durant?  You’d need another small salary.  Brooklyn doesn’t benefit from being terrible since they don’t have their picks for the next millennium. So, actual NBA players make some sense for them.  Wood/Dinwiddie actually makes more sense from their standpoint as they could roll out SD/Curry/Harris/Simmons/Wood with O’Neal, Claxton and Mills as their primary bench. They’d get something from the Kyrie trade also.

Lets say it is Wood/SD/Green as the outgoing.  The Luka KD combo would be unstoppable and you’ve surrounded them with good defenders in the starting lineup in McGee, DFS and Bullock.  Your top 3 bench guys are Maxi, THJ and Dragic.  You’d be a bit thin at PG given’s Dragic’s age, but you don’t need a SD/JB type of player if you have KD creating his own offense.

McGee.   Maxi/Powell
KD.        DFS/Maxi/Bertans
DFS       THJ
Bullock   Frank/Pinson
Luka.     Dragic/Hardy

KD for Wood/SD/Green is something I would do 10/10 times. And 2FRP’s if need be. KD is arguably the best player in the league when healthy.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1543257545577582596

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - BigDirk41 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:52 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1543257545577582596

I've been staying positive, but if they don't get Dragic to replace Brunson, I'll be seriously disappointed. We don't have the luxury of waiting. We need to sign him.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Branduil - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:52 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1543257545577582596

LOL

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - BigDirk41 - 07-02-2022

Dragic can be a stop gap until "hopefully" Hardy is ready.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:50 AM)Smitty Wrote: KD for Wood/SD/Green is something I would do 10/10 times. And 2FRP’s if need be. KD is arguably the best player in the league when healthy.

I’m confused because I thought you said Mav’s would pass on Wood/THJ (and subbing SD isn’t that big a departure).  I agree with the take above.  I do believe it would take the picks given what Gobert brought.

I realize Dallas isn’t on the list (LAC wasn’t on Kawhi’s list either).  KD wants to win another championship.  If Luka can drag this rag-tag bunch to the WCF’s, Durant has to see a path to the finals next to Luka.  He may have better relationships elsewhere….who knows.  And Dallas didn’t exactly threat his bestie Jordan well while he was here.  But Brooklyn doesn’t have to trade him where he wants to go.  Dallas could be a good compromise situation for all parties.

All Stein is saying is this:

Don't be shocked if no deal with Dragic arises in the near future, the Mavs have their eyes on something bigger.

This is no different than what Skin Wade just said on his show: The Mavs are gearing up for a big trade by the end of August. 

The Mavs have bigger fish/ideas on their radar than just signing Dragic and being done for the summer.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:45 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Seems like Wade believes they are going to make a major trade for a wing by the end of August. I assume such a wing would be both a trade asset for a future deal and a player that makes them competitive next year.

Implicit in that date is Wood being part of the outgoing as that is the aggregation date for him.

I’ve brought up Collins and KD so far.  I think Wood is good enough to move the needle and adding one of any number of players from among THJ, SD, Powell and Green gets you to sizable money outgoing.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - omahen - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:50 AM)Smitty Wrote: KD for Wood/SD/Green is something I would do 10/10 times. And 2FRP’s if need be. KD is arguably the best player in the league when healthy.

I think Nets would never accept that offer. Even if we add more picks. They want all stars or almost all stars back, not role players. Mitchell, Adebayo and the likes. They can always get the Woods and the SDs of the world. It cost us a very late FRP to get Wood and bad salary to get SD.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’m confused because I thought you said Mav’s would pass on Wood/THJ (and subbing SD isn’t that big a departure).  I agree with the take above.  I do believe it would take the picks given what Gobert brought.

I realize Dallas isn’t on the list (LAC wasn’t on Kawhi’s list either).  KD wants to win another championship.  If Luka can drag this rag-tag bunch to the WCF’s, Durant has to see a path to the finals next to Luka.  He may have better relationships elsewhere….who knows.  And Dallas didn’t exactly threat his bestie Jordan well while he was here.  But Brooklyn doesn’t have to trade him where he wants to go.  Dallas could be a good compromise situation for all parties.

My original comment about the Mavs saying no was sarcasm. I would trade anyone not named Luka for KD. Even your two proposals and the (2) FRPs I don’t believe to be enough to get KD. Also, the Mavs are on KD’s list FWIW.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - omahen - 07-02-2022

"Unexpected option" quote from Stein really gives me confidence something will happen Smile We can have up to 20 players through the summer (not sure when is the cut date), so if Dragic really wants to come at vet min, you lock him up and worry about cutting someone later...

(07-02-2022, 11:05 AM)omahen Wrote: "Unexpected option" quote from Stein really gives me confidence something will happen Smile We can have up to 20 players through the summer (not sure when is the cut date), so if Dragic really wants to come at vet min, you lock him up and worry about cutting someone later...

Yeah, it makes zero sense to just leave a roster spot open now. But maybe we're just too dumb to understand the smartest guy in the room.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - Mavs2021 - 07-02-2022

Cuban: Hey Goran, buddy. Sorry we can´t offer you the TP-MLE. We had to tie down a younger player with upside on a long-term contract. You understnad right? We still have the veteran minimum and we´d like to sign you....but listen first we have to see whether there are better wing options. You cool waiting a few weeks, right?

Goran: So as I was saying Luka. It´s a top class organisation. Riley has more rings than Cuban has fingers, the weather and the girls are as hot as your mom.

Luka: Hey now that´s my mom.

Cuban: You guys know you are still on speaker.....Luka he´s lying. Riley only has nine rings. You here me. NINE. And your mom is not HOT.

Dirk: Dude.

Cuban: Don´t worry I saved it in the end.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing"? | "unlikely" DP is kept - omahen - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ve brought up Collins

So would you do Wood, salary fillers and a couple of picks for Collins, if it was on the table? I don't think he is one of the guys that would make this team a title contender.

So if the Mavs are leaving a roster spot open, then it means they foresee a possible trade where they get back one more player than they send out.