MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - omahen - 01-02-2023

(01-02-2023, 12:14 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, the deal is:

Hayward/Washington/Kai Jones

for

Wood/Bertans/Bullock

I think Wood pretty much equals trade value of Washington. He has better stats but is UFA and older. I think both could fetch a protected FRP and not more this TDL. Charlotte would have to be certain Wood will sign an extension, otherwise it makes no sense for them to make this trade. It would be better for them to sell Washington to someone else and sign Wood in the summer.

So what is left is Hayward/Jones for Bertans and Bullock. I am not sure about justification here. Charlotte doesn't really get out of Hayward contract, as Bertans and Bullock costs almost same amount next season and then they have another year of partially guaranteed Bertans. Hayward, when healthy, is by far the best player among the three. I don't see why Charlotte would be the one paying assets here. 

I think the Charlotte deal would be simpler, something like Wood for Washington and one of the expiring contracts (Oubre or Plumlee). 

Other than Charlotte, I think the realistic market for Wood is a contender looking for some offensive firepower in the frontcourt. I could see Brooklyn, Memphis, Miami and Pels. Toronto is still looking for center and doesn't have cap space in the summer.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - SleepingHero - 01-02-2023

(01-02-2023, 12:14 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Since yesterday was kind of a 'keep Wood' love fest, lets go the other direction today.  What team might possibly trade for him with the idea of keeping him.  I don't expect this to be popular.  In fact, it is probably a step back to take a step forward type move

I'm still infatuated with that fake PHX deal that sends Ayton to Dallas and Wood somewhere. Can we please have that reality??

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Jason Terry - 01-02-2023

I think a Wood by himself trade would be like Wood to Brooklyn for Seth Curry, TJ Warren and two 2nds. A money saving deal

We trade Wood and we probably should look at other trades too. Hardaway, Bullock should be shopped. Go full youth movement and build assets

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - cow - 01-02-2023

(01-02-2023, 02:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm still infatuated with that fake PHX deal that sends Ayton to Dallas and Wood somewhere. Can we please have that reality??

He has a lot of the red flags that Wood has except he already has the contract that Wood desires.  I'm not the biggest Wood fan, but I'd take him on a more economical deal (~$20M per) than Ayton on his current contract.  If you can get Wood to play consistent defense, which is a big if, his skillset is much closer to what you'd want from a modern five and takes a lot of pressure off of Luka.

If you want a big three, the best version of what we've seen from Wood could easily be our second or third best player.  Investing long term money in Wood should frighten everyone for obvious reasons.  The task at hand would be acquiring someone along the likes of Middleton/Holiday/Saikam/Anunoby or another long, defensive minded player who can shoot and create off the bounce.  Easier said than done, I know.  

For the TDL, I'd be listening to offers for THJ, Dinwiddie and Dorian.  Build up assets just in case that third pillar comes available after this year.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - haveitall - 01-02-2023

I am not sure why people propose trades that decrease the talent base.  Wood was the only good deal made so far with talent coming in.  Dinwiddie for Porzingis was a downgrade and we now see Porzingis impact in Washington.  Not extending Brunson was another screw up.  Regardless of what happened in free agency Brunson should have been extended before hitting free agency or traded.  Bullock is another bad deal (decent player not enough talent to be paid that much).  Wood is a 22 + ppg scorer who has the ability to play defense.  Other proposals include Hardaway who is the other decent player on this team.  The only way this team gets better is by getting younger players who can improve.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-02-2023

If we go with the 3 best players and the best defender, it gives us this lineup.  Who is the ideal SF/PF to compliment?

Point - Luka
Guard - Green
Guard - Dinwiddie
Forward - ???
Center - Wood

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - omahen - 01-03-2023

(01-02-2023, 09:51 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Who is the ideal SF/PF to compliment?

Siakam, imho

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Jym - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 03:23 AM)omahen Wrote: Siakam, imho

Yeah I think we should mortgage picks outside of Luka's current deal to make that happen if he's available 
Few guys I would say that about. I wouldn't go there for a Beal or Lavine trade

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Dundalis - 01-03-2023

(01-02-2023, 07:20 PM)haveitall Wrote: I am not sure why people propose trades that decrease the talent base.  Wood was the only good deal made so far with talent coming in.  Dinwiddie for Porzingis was a downgrade and we now see Porzingis impact in Washington.  Not extending Brunson was another screw up.  Regardless of what happened in free agency Brunson should have been extended before hitting free agency or traded.  Bullock is another bad deal (decent player not enough talent to be paid that much).  Wood is a 22 + ppg scorer who has the ability to play defense.  Other proposals include Hardaway who is the other decent player on this team.  The only way this team gets better is by getting younger players who can improve.

Completely disagree and would not reverse the trade if I had the opportunity. Dinwiddie made the team better than it was with KP.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Chicagojk - 01-03-2023

You could really feel the Mavs needed these games against these poor teams (outside of the Knicks).  Mission Accomplished.   It could have put us in a real tough position with our injuries if we lost 3 of these games.   Luckily, they found ways to win.    

Hopefully re-enforcements come back soon and we don't need to play everyone such high minutes.  It is not sustainable.   I hope we never get comfortable or take for granted seeing Luka playing the full second halves of games.  Mavs really need to develop a lineup that can play well together in the start of fourth quarters.   Those minutes seem much more important that the start of the second quarter minutes.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-03-2023

(01-01-2023, 04:41 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I don’t disagree with this line of thinking and if I were to keep one of Hardaway/Bullock/Dinwiddie then it would most likely be Dinwiddie but one thing I’d point out is that a Dinwiddie/Bullock package paired with a bunch of picks this offseason may end up making more sense for the receiving team because Dinwiddie and Bullock will both be expiring. The situation you’re painting would require either extending Dinwiddie, trading him during the season next year or losing him for nothing. I just don’t see us extending him (I may be wrong) so in my head our offseason package will end up being Dinwiddie/Bullock (if they are still here) and 2+ picks so they don’t have to worry about Dinwiddies next contract.

So I totally agree that a Din/Bullock package makes the most sense to the team we are trading to as they will both be expiring, but this team is already shy on rotational playmakers and sending out Dinwiddie exacerbates the problem.  If we make a trade for Wiggins or Anunoby for example, we would have one player in the top 9 rotation that can come close to running an offense.  I would prefer not to send out multiple picks in a trade and then have to revamp half the roster to make everything work.  

I think I would prefer to extend Dinwiddie vs holding onto Timmy for the length of his contract.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:03 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Completely disagree and would not reverse the trade if I had the opportunity. Dinwiddie made the team better than it was with KP.

Agreed.

Not only has Dallas been better since the trade, but Washington is actually worse this year than last. 

Of the three players in that deal, I believe Dinwiddie was the best. Not sure who the worst was yet (partially joking about this part).

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 03:29 AM)Jym Wrote: Yeah I think we should mortgage picks outside of Luka's current deal to make that happen if he's available 
Few guys I would say that about. I wouldn't go there for a Beal or Lavine trade

It seems like Beal is injured often.  Lavine is an empty stat stuffer.  He does not make teammates better.  

I'd throw the bank at Pascal, and a little less so OG.  Toronto sucks this year to have so much talent in the starting lineup.  They seem to be big on Barnes, so may be looking to rebuild around him; he's only 21.

Point - Luka
Guard - Green
Guard - Dinwiddie
Forward - Pascal
Center - Wood

IMO that's tremendous starting lineup.  Well balanced.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 11:06 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: It seems like Beal is injured often.  Lavine is an empty stat stuffer.  He does not make teammates better.  

I'd throw the bank at Pascal, and a little less so OG.  Toronto sucks this year to have so much talent in the starting lineup.  They seem to be big on Barnes, so may be looking to rebuild around him; he's only 21.

Point - Luka
Guard - Green
Guard - Dinwiddie
Forward - Pascal
Center - Wood

I would argue that Luka, Siakam and Wood are more than enough offense and you would play Dorian at the 3 and use Dinwiddie as 6th man.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Dundalis - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 11:06 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: It seems like Beal is injured often.  Lavine is an empty stat stuffer.  He does not make teammates better.  

Point - Luka
Guard - Green
Guard - Dinwiddie
Forward - Pascal
Center - Wood

You would throw the bank at Pascal, but our 3 best players, and probably our best young player not named Luka are still in the team following a trade for him. Zero chance of that happening, albeit if they somehow managed it, I'd give Harrison a 20 year contract. I'm not even sure they could swing it if they included Wood/Dinwiddie plus a truck load of firsts given what some other teams could offer.

Siakam would be fantastic though, I think he's exactly the type of player who needs to be the clear second option behind a dominant superstar to get the absolute best out of him, his best year efficiency wise was easily the year Kawhi was in Toronto, and probably his most consistent defensive year too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - F Gump - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 11:26 AM)Dundalis Wrote: ... given what some other teams could offer.

We hear this phraseology a lot, and it typically is way overstated -- because it ignores that
1 while in theory he's desirable, not all teams would REALLY be making a run at Siakam,
2 while in theory he can be traded anywhere, him "wanting to go there" would be a practical necessity, and would become a qualifier that would eliminate many teams from investing, and
3 it blindly assumes that having "more to offer" would actually end up with such teams going all in with that "more" they have, and that is not how trades tend to work

IOW, what they could offer is not the same as what they would offer.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - DallasMaverick - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 08:58 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: You could really feel the Mavs needed these games against these poor teams (outside of the Knicks).  Mission Accomplished.   It could have put us in a real tough position with our injuries if we lost 3 of these games.   Luckily, they found ways to win.    

Hopefully re-enforcements come back soon and we don't need to play everyone such high minutes.  It is not sustainable.   I hope we never get comfortable or take for granted seeing Luka playing the full second halves of games.  Mavs really need to develop a lineup that can play well together in the start of fourth quarters.   Those minutes seem much more important that the start of the second quarter minutes.

Seems like the home-road won-loss disparity is greater this year than any I can remember.

Zero Western Conference teams have a winning road record. 

Why?

Officiating?  Recovery beers? Weak psyches in the face of hostile crowds?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - bearforce1 - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 11:26 AM)Dundalis Wrote: You would throw the bank at Pascal, but our 3 best players, and probably our best young player not named Luka are still in the team following a trade for him. Zero chance of that happening, albeit if they somehow managed it, I'd give Harrison a 20 year contract. I'm not even sure they could swing it if they included Wood/Dinwiddie plus a truck load of firsts given what some other teams could offer.

Siakam would be fantastic though, I think he's exactly the type of player who needs to be the clear second option behind a dominant superstar to get the absolute best out of him, his best year efficiency wise was easily the year Kawhi was in Toronto, and probably his most consistent defensive year too.

It would have to be in the offseason after the draft but what would be the appetite for Siakam for Dinwiddie, Bullock, Hardy + 3 FRPs and 2 swaps? I'm using the Mitchell to Cavs deal as a comparison. Biggest question would be how to fill the Dinwiddie sized hole in the roster without any draft capital...

Alternatively, Mavs could offer the same package (perhaps minus 1 FRP?) for FVV and OG?  FVV is having a real down year - would love to buy low there...

Raptors are a disappointing 16-21 - I check their box scores pretty frequently and looks like they could really use some better guard play - Malachi Flynn is awful and plays way too many minutes due to a lack of better options. I think Dinwiddie's size/wingspan and skills would be really valued there.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 01:06 PM)bearforce1 Wrote: It would have to be in the offseason after the draft but what would be the appetite for Siakam for Dinwiddie, Bullock, Hardy + 3 FRPs and 2 swaps? I'm using the Mitchell to Cavs deal as a comparison. Biggest question would be how to fill the Dinwiddie sized hole in the roster without any draft capital...

Alternatively, Mavs could offer the same package (perhaps minus 1 FRP?) for FVV and OG?  FVV is having a real down year - would love to buy low there...

Raptors are a disappointing 16-21 - I check their box scores pretty frequently and looks like they could really use some better guard play - Malachi Flynn is awful and plays way too many minutes due to a lack of better options. I think Dinwiddie's size/wingspan and skills would be really valued there.

I'm not a huge Van Vleet fan.  He's so inconsistent.  Reminds me of JET.

IMO, we have a core to build around in Luka, Wood, Dinwiddie, and Green.  I'd rather go after OG with anyone else on the roster and picks.  Realistically, we'd have to give up the farm for Siakam.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-04-2023

(01-03-2023, 08:17 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I'm not a huge Van Vleet fan.  He's so inconsistent.  Reminds me of JET.

IMO, we have a core to build around in Luka, Wood, Dinwiddie, and Green.  I'd rather go after OG with anyone else on the roster and picks.  Realistically, we'd have to give up the farm for Siakam.

With OG being only 25, I think it unlikely he is on the block.  Siakam and VanVleet are more likely to be available due to age.

VanVleet is a lot like Timmy from the standpoint of a high volume 3 point shooter that is having an off year so far.  The difference is Fred is a very good playmaker and near elite perimeter defender.  He is undersized but can guard 1-3 due to his strength.  We could do a lot worse than adding Fred to this team and he might be reasonably priced and avaiable.