MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:12 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: IMO, I'd be inclined to find a compliment to Wood. If we remove Wood, we're still getting murdered on the boards

I might be wrong about all of this, but I think there's something I see coming that might impact opinions for those on both sides of this ongoing Wood debate.

I can envision him being the PERFECT offensive complement for Luka at center. Not good, perfect.

I can envision him being well above average, defensively, at center as he learns and as the league shifts even further into the "skill era." His foot speed, length and athletic ability are all perfect for that position (not ideal for forward, imo) and will take him as far as developing basketball IQ and motor will allow him to go. If you're optimistic about his IQ and motor, you might be ready to commit immediately. If you're not optimistic about those things, or if there's a specific type of center (big, bruising type) you think is necessary, you might still be extremely skeptical about his fit. Because his IQ and motor are even issues, conversationally, there is room for "in-between" thinking here, too. 

Let's say the most optimistic eventuality plays out:

1) He's going to be a great pnr partner with Luka for YEARS, and in loads of useful ways that help the entire team. 

2) He's going to be one of the few centers in the league who can create offense by posting up or (even more rare) FACING UP. 

3) Not only will he not be a defensive liability, he will be uncommonly suited to be a strength of your team on that end, particularly against playoff teams with sophisticated offenses. 

BUT...

Though he's a good rebounder for his player type, and for my money a significant improvement over the group of bigs the Mavs had available in the playoffs last season, I feel that when the dust clears, even in the most optimistic version of how things can go, rebounding will still be an area of perceived "weakness" for the Mavs, and will be an annoying part of their profile as a team at times. 

Now, something is always going to be an issue. You're never going to get the perfect roster, balanced in every possible way so that you can go 82-0 and win 6 straight championships. That's just not realistic. Personally, I am FINE with rebounding being that issue. It's enough for me to know that Wood is at least better than average on that end, and that some improvement over last year's rebounding would be possible with him. I'm ok with the idea that it still wouldn't be an area of real strength for the Mavs because, frankly, I don't think it matters as much as #'s 1, 2 and 3 above. But, I know not everyone feels that way.

(01-01-2023, 01:17 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You’ve certainly harped on this concept a lot this year but I’m pretty inclined to disagree with this opinion and most of my reasoning you already laid out. I think DFS has proven that he is great to play the 4, I’ve never really felt he ever has size issues and I think he’s much better suited there than at the 3. The teams that are going after the vanderbilts and ruis of the league are the same ones who would be going after DFS for all the same reasons so I’m surprised this board is stuck on needing this skill set that already seems to exist on this roster via one of our few high level role players.

I think a lot of this is due to how you view Hardaway and are such a staunch defender of him. He’s a decent player and I try not to be too hard on him but the idea that his role isn’t the obviously role that needs upgrading is odd to me. Were talking about potentially moving DFS to the 3 where Hardaway is and the biggest problem there is that whoever we put into this role with our current roster (Hardaway/Bullock/DFS) is going to be a player that can’t play make or create their own shot to save their life. To me when I watch that it’s clear that we’re really just a two way wing away from being taken seriously (assuming we can keep Wood around) and that two way wing can be smaller or bigger than DFS in my opinion, but it can’t be another one dimensional player like Vanderbilt.

I don’t want to be thrown into your “group think” opinion on Hardaway and come off as I’m bashing him but if you don’t think we can clearly upgrade that spot and be a MUCH better team than I feel you’ve gone way too far in the other direction.

Agreed on the Green points, I really want him to be a two way player we can place next to Luka for years.

Also agreed on the Poeltl thoughts and your general view on centers and their worth.

I'm not sure I fully follow your argument...at least where you disagree with me. I'm not sure I'm saying what you think I'm saying. My post had literally nothing to do with Hardaway, if that helps. 

I think it's likely DFS is better at the 4 than he is at the 3 and said as much, I believe.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - omahen - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can envision him being the PERFECT offensive complement for Luka at center. Not good, perfect.

I was just gathering my thoughts to basically say the very same thing. Looking at centers, the perfect partner for Luka would be:
- offense: can hit a three, PnR, pass and abuse smaller defenders when switched on him
- defense: can switch, have a bit bigger body to fight some of the bigger ones who have the team to get far in the playoffs (Jokic, Embiid)
- other: not injury prone, high BB IQ, good teammate

I don't think there is any center in the league that would fit the description of the ideal center next to Luka. A.Davis might be closest, but he is always injured. Turner could be considered, but who knows how much his stats this season are a consequence of his expiring contract. Perhaps LeBron would be the ideal solution at this stage of his career. 

I think Wood ticks plenty of boxes above as long as "good teammate" is not an issue.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-01-2023

The point I was trying to make is that I don’t understand why we continue to kick names around like Vanderbilt and Rui when we already have that skill set kind of locked down. You had mentioned many times your desire to get a wing bigger than DFS but smaller than Maxi or whoever is at center and I just don’t see that need. I guess generally it feels to me like we’re essentially trying to upgrade DFS which seems odd to me given how proven he’s been while we aren’t kicking around names to upgrade the 3.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Jason Terry - 01-01-2023

Luka

DFS and Maxi can play with any team we build. So versatile 

Green and Hardy. Keep the pups 

Dinwiddie and Wood. The vital pieces to assist Luka. They fit well with him. We can’t afford to replace them so the smart move is keep them

Those 7 are who we should build around. The rest of the guys should be available in a swap 

THJ and Bullock could have some value and we should extract that. I’ve seen enough from Green to be cool with moving on from both contracts

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:55 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Luka

DFS and Maxi can play with any team we build. So versatile 

Green and Hardy. Keep the pups 

Dinwiddie and Wood. The vital pieces to assist Luka. They fit well with him. We can’t afford to replace them so the smart move is keep them

Those 7 are who we should build around. The rest of the guys should be available in a swap 

THJ and Bullock could have some value and we should extract that. I’ve seen enough from Green to be cool with moving on from both contracts

I typically agree with this sentiment but would also include Dinwiddie to the list of areas to improve, at least long term.

The Hardaway/Bullock/Dinwiddie trio can hopefully become the Green/Hardy/Player X trio by the end of Lukas contract and hopefully you can get player x with the former trio and keep Maxi/Wood/DFS.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Jason Terry - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I might be wrong about all of this, but I think there's something I see coming that might impact opinions for those on both sides of this ongoing Wood debate.

I can envision him being the PERFECT offensive complement for Luka at center. Not good, perfect.

I can envision him being well above average, defensively, at center as he learns and as the league shifts even further into the "skill era." His foots peed, length and athletic ability are all perfect for that position (not ideal for forward, imo) and will take him as far as developing basketball IQ and motor will allow him to go. If you're optimistic about his IQ and motor, you might be ready to commit immediately. If you're not optimistic about those things, or if there's a specific type of center (big, bruising type) you think is necessary, you might still be extremely skeptical about his fit. Because his IQ and motor are even issues, conversationally, there is room for "in-between" thinking here, too. 

Let's say the most optimistic eventuality plays out:

1) He's going to be a great pnr partner with Luka for YEARS, and in loads of useful ways that help the entire team. 

2) He's going to be one of the few centers in the league who can create offense by posting up or (even more rare) FACING UP. 

3) Not only will he not be a defensive liability, he will be uncommonly suited to be a strength of your team on that end, particularly against playoff teams with sophisticated offenses. 

BUT...

Though he's a good rebounder for his player type, and for my money a significant improvement over the group of bigs the Mavs had available in the playoffs last season, I feel that when the dust clears, even in the most optimistic version of how things can go, rebounding will still be an area of perceived "weakness" for the Mavs, and will be an annoying part of their profile as a team at times. 

Now, something is always going to be an issue. You're never going to get the perfect roster, balanced in every possible way so that you can go 82-0 and win 6 straight championships. That's just not realistic. Personally, I am FINE with rebounding being that issue. It's enough for me to know that Wood is at least better than average on that end, and that some improvement over last year's rebounding would be possible with him. I'm ok with the idea that it still wouldn't be an area of real strength for the Mavs because, frankly, I don't think it matters as much as #'s 1, 2 and 3 above. But, I know not everyone feels that way.

I'm not sure I fully follow your argument...at least where you disagree with me. I'm not sure I'm saying what you think I'm saying. My post had literally nothing to do with Hardaway, if that helps. 

I think it's likely DFS is better at the 4 than he is at the 3 and said as much, I believe.
Right there with you on Wood being the ideal center to play with Luka (he’s proven at the least, he has the ability to protect the rim and switch to the perimeter) 

I’m not sure how it will play out with rebounding but I’d be fine with that being our weakness. Luka being so big and a great rebounder i always thought we would use that to our advantage somehow

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - ItsGoTime - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 02:05 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I typically agree with this sentiment but would also include Dinwiddie to the list of areas to improve, at least long term.

The Hardaway/Bullock/Dinwiddie trio can hopefully become the Green/Hardy/Player X trio by the end of Lukas contract and hopefully you can get player x with the former trio and keep Maxi/Wood/DFS.
You want to have DFS and Maxi as high level contributors at the end of Luka’s contract? I don’t think I can go there with you. They’ll be 33 and 34 at that point. Heck, Wood will be 31 then too.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - Kammrath - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 02:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You want to have DFS and Maxi as high level contributors at the end of Luka’s contract? I don’t think I can go there with you. They’ll be 33 and 34 at that point. Heck, Wood will be 31 then too.

So much this.

The Mavs HAVE to get younger. Anyone older than Wood is basically too old already.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - KillerLeft - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:46 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: The point I was trying to make is that I don’t understand why we continue to kick names around like Vanderbilt and Rui when we already have that skill set kind of locked down. You had mentioned many times your desire to get a wing bigger than DFS but smaller than Maxi or whoever is at center and I just don’t see that need. I guess generally it feels to me like we’re essentially trying to upgrade DFS which seems odd to me given how proven he’s been while we aren’t kicking around names to upgrade the 3.

Ah, I see. 

Well, basketball is and will always be a sport where size and length matters. You basically want your great basketball players to be longer and more physical than the opponent's great basketball players. I think we'd all agree about that. 

The disagreements come up, I believe, when we can't all agree on what qualifies for the "great" that I just typed before "basketball players." I believe that some only see the size ("only" might be a bit strong, but I don't mean it literally, I'm just not that great of a writer) and often miss the impact of the requisite skills that make that size advantageous in the first place. In other words, give me someone with the right skills for a position over someone with the right size for that position if I have to choose and can't have both. 

Hence my love affair for DFS. He has ideal size for the 3, but his skills seem to be more ideal for the 4. Those who are irked by undersized players at any position and seem to zero in on that (again, at any position) as a major roster-building error that must be fixed for the team to succeed have always had a problem with him here, only giving him praise reluctantly. Those who don't have that hangup to an extreme degree have always seemed more likely to accept him. 

But, even his biggest supporters (I might be his biggest) would admit that he's far from a perfect player. He is very limited, offensively, and is basically the ideal "glue guy" or "connector" to use a few terms we throw around regularly. 

Is my goal to upgrade DFS? No. But, a common complaint from those here who fall all over the opinion spectrum is about size up front. 

Some people think that size should come from the center position, particularly. I, myself, think that the way the game is changing, that extra couple of inches from one player is likely to come at the detriment to the kind of movement and fluidity you need from all 5 players in order to play competitive basketball at the highest level. So, to me, you want to increase your team size, not your center size. This explanation is lacking a bit of nuance, but it's basically how I feel. 

When I look at the roster, I see Wood as not only a center, but the type of center who I believe is the prototypical dream. What I don't see is a prototypical 4. DFS is good, and far from an area that needs to be upgraded, in a vacuum, but, it's just factual that the roster doesn't have a 6'9", 6'10" guy with the fluidity needed to play forward on a big-minute basis. Some view Kleber as that player, and to be fair, he's pretty close, but I have thought for several seasons now that he's even better as a 5, and his ideal role in this league is probably as as bench "connector" who can backfill both positions, giving you flexible options to attack/defend different ways. 

The Kawhi Leonard, LeBron, Jerami Grant, Aaron Gordon, Siakim, Obi Toppin, Kuzma, Hachimura, Vanderbilt, etc, etc, etc, guy just isn't here, imo. Talking about size/movement packages, not anything specific about skills (yet). 

There are a TON of different ways to add one of those. If, somehow, you're able to get LeBron, all of a sudden I'm not so protective of DFS's role so much, know what I mean? If the player you get is Rui, then I think he's another tool to throw into the mix but probably plays behind DFS at the 4 to start out. 

So it's not about looking at DFS and wanting to upgrade him - it's just a part of the equation that I, personally, don't think they have on the roster yet. What I'm saying is that more forward options seem to me that they'd be infinitely more likely to come in handy than another 3rd center. THOSE are the names we throw around that seem pointless to me, but the player I'm envisioning would likely assuage SOME of the valid concerns that people who are convinced that big dinosaur is what's needed bring up. Does that make sense? I hope so. Again, I'm not always articulate enough to get my thinking across accurately. 

The problem is if you're adding that 4, depending on how good they are right away, you run the risk of displacing DFS to the 3...to the bench...whatever. Maybe it works GREAT with him moving to the 3, but with the specific type of player Luka seems to need to guard, I'm not so sure such a move wouldn't bump DFS down TWO positions, defensively, which is real foot speed risk, imho. Maybe he becomes the perfect bench forward (PERFECT) but then we'd need to reconcile ourselves with a re-examination of his extension. I'd still be fine with it, I THINK, but it would be a little tougher to justify, especially if it cause roster building problems moving forward from that point. 

I could get in the weeds typing words about this all day (that like three people will actually read) but the bottom line is that upgrading DFS isn't really the motivation for me here, just an indirect consequence, potentially

You bring up Hardaway, so let me clarify my feelings there. I do defend him, but only in the context of him being here and being used in a way where he can contribute positively. I assume upgrading him is something they're looking at, and I hope they can do it. What I don't agree with is the idea that simply benching him in favor of players who are already here would in any way represent positive change. I think that's FAAAAAAR from true. But I'm in no way trying to suggest that they should make decisions with their front court that protect Hardaway's role, somehow. 

To me, this conversation has nothing to do with Hardaway whatsoever, as his role wouldn't change based on this nebulous incoming player and/or DFS. I think what you're saying is "why isn't that what we're talking about instead" and I can see where you're coming from with that, but...again, there currently isn't a player like what I'm describing on the roster to be upgraded, so that seems more glaring (to me) and honestly, much more realistic. Players who can upgrade the role they are asking Hardaway to play are really hard to get, imo. Conley is a name that we've discussed today who might do the trick. I'd be all over that Vanderbilt/Conley package. 

Is this coming anywhere near addressing your point? I hope so, but not sure.

(01-01-2023, 02:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You want to have DFS and Maxi as high level contributors at the end of Luka’s contract? I don’t think I can go there with you. They’ll be 33 and 34 at that point. Heck, Wood will be 31 then too.

I feel that DFS and Maxi were extended to mirror Lukas contract for a reason so I don’t see them going anywhere anytime soon.

I would expect guys like Green and Hardy to be high level contributors in that time frame but I don’t necessarily think that DFS and Maxis defense will fall off a cliff or anything which is their current role anyway. I might just be confused by the term high level contributor and what that means. Like I think that they can still be part of the rotation but probably not at the same minute levels if that helps?

I have no problem with Wood at 31, being on the downside of your career does not mean you are a bad basketball player. We’re basically just talking about keeping Wood through his prime and figuring out the next steps after that.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - MAVS-SLO - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:37 PM)omahen Wrote: I was just gathering my thoughts to basically say the very same thing. Looking at centers, the perfect partner for Luka would be:
- offense: can hit a three, PnR, pass and abuse smaller defenders when switched on him
- defense: can switch, have a bit bigger body to fight some of the bigger ones who have the team to get far in the playoffs (Jokic, Embiid)
- other: not injury prone, high BB IQ, good teammate

I don't think there is any center in the league that would fit the description of the ideal center next to Luka. A.Davis might be closest, but he is always injured. Turner could be considered, but who knows how much his stats this season are a consequence of his expiring contract. Perhaps LeBron would be the ideal solution at this stage of his career. 

I think Wood ticks plenty of boxes above as long as "good teammate" is not an issue.

Completly agree with you.

Wood is probably best option and i hope they figure out how to extend him.

Looking at the TDL i'm not expecting much of Mavs.

I'm interested what is the a price for players like Kuzma or Kelly Oubre. They are not popular names on the forum, but i think both of them could be usefull and probably price also won't be so high if they don't want to extend contracts.

Bojan Bogdanovic for Bertans and 2 also won't be bad move  Big Grin

For the bigger names we would need to wait until the summer when we can finally trade our first picks, but something looks to me promising (Raptors Siakam/Anuoby, Lavine).

I think that while it's obviously good to make smart, practical decisions regarding player age and their impact on your future window, a mentality of looking at roster building this way, to this extreme, is lacking in nuance and counterproductive. 

The majority of your thinking when building your roster, imho, needs to be about the 2-3 years right in front of your face. You want to be a good team, not one in constant search of the "perfect starting point" that will stay perfect for years and years. For one thing, you might lose more than gained in the process of flipping players who know how a winning team works in favor of the younger potential. For another, teams just don't stay together very long anymore, so it seems kind of pointless to think that way to me. 

I probably have a higher opinion of those players right now than you do, and I'm sure that's part of it. On some level, I'd see what the team would be losing as more significant than you do, I bet. I don't think this team is anywhere near as bad as we (myself included) have been saying early on. I think it's just another slow start, and if anything, might be due to youth in a weird way. I agree that it's getting harder to call the team "young" but their star/leader is the very definition of that word, and I think that by extension, the team is kind of young, if that makes sense. 

But, I don't think it would be positive, ultimately, to sweep away everyone over a certain age in favor of players who are cemented into Luka's timeline. I think there's real, tangible value in establishing the best possible version of the team right now and giving the franchise an improved rep for simply being a good team. It won't be hard to retool the role players around Luka as you go, provided you make the right "better than role player" acquisitions. If you can get one of those by moving out role players, go for it! But I see almost no value (at this moment in time) in replacing an existing, effective role player who is already ensconced here and has a relationship with Luka, the team and the city, with someone who has none of those things, solely due to their age.

Not going to quote all that @"KillerLeft" simply because it’s huge (and I’m on mobile so it’s hard to take the pieces I want to respond to) but it’s full of good stuff and I honestly think we’re pretty much on the same page about most of that.

The list of players you gave is obviously on a giant spectrum in terms of impact (which you noted in the Lebron vs Rui example) so I guess with that in mind my stance would be this, we should go after two way wings no matter how they fit into the roster from a size perspective. If that player is someone like Siakim who would move DFS to the 3 then I’d be all for that experiment because of Siakims talent level on both sides of the court but guys like Vanderbilt don’t move the needle for me enough to experiment with DFS at the 3 because I don’t think he brings enough on offense for us to use our limited assets to go get him. Basically it would feel like we’re just shuffling in a new player that is a good role player but not a two way difference maker which is basically the current issue we already have.

A lot of my thinking comes from my belief that our size isn’t a huge issue because it allows us to be highly switchable on defense and bringing in more size can harm that sometimes (not saying someone like Vanderbilt would do that, just kind of stating my stance on size in the NBA in general).  I’m also one of the folks who believe Maxi is pretty positionless as a big anyway and his ability to switch spots covers up a lot of roster issues for us (his health is obviously concerning long term).

The one thing I would also disagree with you on with Hardaway is that I actually do feel that if you plugged in Green into Hardaways role/minutes it does raise the ceiling of this team. Hardaways offensive numbers are BAD and I know he has bursts but I wish those bursts were coming off the bench. I would also plug Green into Dinwiddies role to be fair though, I’m just itching for more two way play and while Green isn’t perfect he’s the only option on the roster who can kind of scratch that for me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 01:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The hole is at the 4, imo, especially now that Kleber is down. 

If they can add a player at that position who makes Kleber's minutes next year come more from the 5 than the 4, I think that's a good thing. It gives the team more options and greater flexibility. And, I think Kleber is more special at the 5, personally. At this point in time, most 4's can floor the ball, bring the ball up, threaten to score while facing up, etc. There's some of that starting to happen at the 5, too, but it's still rare, and Kleber can defend that type of center. He still offers a ton of value at the 5 just by pulling the biggest opposing player out of the paint (this is getting less rare, but it's still valuable). If he's playing the 5, you're probably running a lineup in which there are no easy marks to isolate with ball screens. 

Adding that 4 I'm envisioning (think Vanderbilt, for discussion sake) comes with the risk that DFS won't be as good as he has been these past few seasons, playing more 3 than 4. There are certainly benefits to this change relative to defensive size and rebounding, but there is also risk there in the areas of offensive skill, defensive matchups, etc. I'm not sure I can predict how that would go for DFS. HOWEVER, if the new player is someone like Vanderbilt, AND we know they have Green ready for a bigger role, I'm less inclined to worry about that. If DFS can't hang at the 3, then move him to the bench (where he could backfill both positions at a luxurious level) or even trade him (if that luxurious level is too expensive for Cuban's taste). I don't say either thing lightly. There is only a specific, narrow range of players who'd make me feel good about potentially displacing DFS.

Are we sure putting Vanderbilt next to Wood is that great of a fit?  You talk about Maxi at the 5 so we can pull the opposing center out of the paint and have mentioned the same about Wood at the 5, but Vanderbilt takes one three a game and has no midrange.  Right now he is not somebody that will pull guys out of the paint.  Unless he is on the verge of breaking out, I don't think he is worth both a first and displacing Dorian from his best position.

(01-01-2023, 02:54 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: The list of players you gave is obviously on a giant spectrum in terms of impact (which you noted in the Lebron vs Rui example) so I guess with that in mind my stance would be this, we should go after two way wings no matter how they fit into the roster from a size perspective. If that player is someone like Siakim who would move DFS to the 3 then I’d be all for that experiment because of Siakims talent level on both sides of the court but guys like Vanderbilt don’t move the needle for me enough to experiment with DFS at the 3 because I don’t think he brings enough on offense for us to use our limited assets to go get him. Basically it would feel like we’re just shuffling in a new player that is a good role player but not a two way difference maker which is basically the current issue we already have.

I agree with this. 

I think the other element I'm bringing (that you might think is hogwash) is that because there isn't any prototypical 4 on the roster, even a player who doesn't meet the highest criteria for "two-way" might be helpful, and that is part of why I think addressing that hole might be the ideal move right now - because it seems possible. 

Vanderbilt, for example, is NOT a good offensive player (yet, he's trending in a useful direction) but I'm pretty convinced he'd make the team better. I can't say the same for any of the smaller targets we've mentioned (Thybulle, for example) or any of the huge, 3rd center types, either. Those guys would have to be really, really skilled to move the needle here, imho.

(01-01-2023, 02:59 PM)mvossman Wrote: Are we sure putting Vanderbilt next to Wood is that great of a fit?  You talk about Maxi at the 5 so we can pull the opposing center out of the paint and have mentioned the same about Wood at the 5, but Vanderbilt takes one three a game and has no midrange.  Right now he is not somebody that will pull guys out of the paint.  Unless he is on the verge of breaking out, I don't think he is worth both a first and displacing Dorian from his best position.

Good, valid points. 

To clarify further, I'm making some assumptions here that might be incorrect. For example, I attacked the conversation as if Vanderbilt would automatically start - as we learned with the Wood trade, that's something we can't assume. We also can't assume what the trade cost will be, and I agree that there's certainly a price point where I wouldn't pull the trigger, even if your line and mine might differ. 

As far as his fit with Wood, I think it would be a dream, defensively. Offensively, you're right - there would be growing pains there, but Vanderbilt can actually handle the ball. He can literally run the break, even. He could probably be a good screener (switching up from the usual with Wood). When people suggest players like this to play center, making Wood a forward, I hate it, but in this case I just feel like the athletic profile of the combination would provide options to make it work. But I could be wrong about that!

(01-01-2023, 02:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this. 

I think the other element I'm bringing (that you might think is hogwash) is that because there isn't any prototypical 4 on the roster, even a player who doesn't meet the highest criteria for "two-way" might be helpful, and that is part of why I think addressing that hole might be the ideal move right now - because it seems possible. 

Vanderbilt, for example, is NOT a good offensive player (yet, he's trending in a useful direction) but I'm pretty convinced he'd make the team better. I can't say the same for any of the smaller targets we've mentioned (Thybulle, for example) or any of the huge, 3rd center types, either. Those guys would have to be really, really skilled to move the needle here, imho.

This all makes sense and there’s definitely a chance I’m underestimating the value that a prototypical 4 would bring but I also believe that the league is moving to less prototypical anything from a position standpoint and I never felt like our run last year was hindered by our lack of a traditional power forward so that’s how I get to where I’m at I think.

I also agree that Vanderbilt or Rui would make this team better but I’m kind of operating under the assumption this team is going to try to make one big move and it needs to be on something that is a more glaring need which is what I’m identifying as two way talent right now.

(01-01-2023, 03:11 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This all makes sense and there’s definitely a chance I’m underestimating the value that a prototypical 4 would bring but I also believe that the league is moving to less prototypical anything from a position standpoint and I never felt like our run last year was hindered by our lack of a traditional power forward so that’s how I get to where I’m at I think.

Seems like we're getting closer to eye-to-eye so I don't want to argue needlessly, but I want to clarify the above. 

When I use "prototypical" is this conversation, I mean in the new way, as in as far from "traditional" as possible, almost. Yes, the league has been moving (and frankly, I'd say "has moved"...past tense) away from the old prototypes. But, I think the "positionless basketball" mentality was only a bridge to get from the last era to this one, wherein I actually think there are pretty clear, established norms right in front of us. 

DFS is way, WAY more prototypical at the 4 (now), imo, than someone I'd call "traditional"...like Dirk, for example. You might not have been suggesting anything to the contrary, I just want to make sure my take was clear.

(01-01-2023, 03:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Seems like we're getting closer to eye-to-eye so I don't want to argue needlessly, but I want to clarify the above. 

When I use "prototypical" is this conversation, I mean in the new way, as in as far from "traditional" as possible, almost. Yes, the league has been moving (and frankly, I'd say "has moved"...past tense) away from the old prototypes. But, I think the "positionless basketball" mentality was only a bridge to get from the last era to this one, wherein I actually think there are pretty clear, established norms right in front of us. 

DFS is way, WAY more prototypical at the 4 (now), imo, than someone I'd call "traditional"...like Dirk, for example. You might not have been suggesting anything to the contrary, I just want to make sure my take was clear.

Ya we’re on the same page, honestly just couldn’t bring myself to keep typing prototypical lol.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely | DFS out at least 2 more weeks - mvossman - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 02:05 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I typically agree with this sentiment but would also include Dinwiddie to the list of areas to improve, at least long term.

I would argue Dinwiddie is a perfect 6th man on this team, he just isn't playing that role currently.  The guys that make the most sense as salary matching fodder for a big trade in the near future are Timmy and Bullock.  I have probably posted this a ton of times, but if they can pull off that trade next offseason, you are looking at:

starters:  Wood/Dorian/2 way wing/Green/Luka
Bench:    Powell/Maxi/Hardy/Frank/Din

Depending on how good that wing is, that team could be a contender.  Maybe the following season you can package one of the older players with Bertans expiring and possibly a pick (if you have any left) to upgrade that position.  From there you slowly replace the older players with younger blood, keeping the continuity while getting younger and riding the best player in the league for a long contention window.