MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - dirkfansince1998 - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 01:27 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Have you seen Dinwiddie's SF numbers last year?  Insane.  26.2 PER.  11.2 Opponent PER.  Not a huge sample size, about 7mins/game.   How about this starting lineup with the current available roster?

PG - Luka
SG - Green
SF - Dinwiddie
PF - DFS
C - Wood

Not really about him playing SF. Just how various sites like to list Luka, Brunson and SD. That was the key behind some of his best performances. Luka/Brunson/SD lineups. More often than not with SD being matched with a mediocre perimeter defender (best on Luka, second best on Brunson).

Don´t think your proposed lineup is bad even though I have my doubts about the defense. This season Luka/SD/Wood are -36 in 131 minutes. 107 O-Rating. 120 D-Rating. But maybe including Green can fix some of it. This season he has been the glue guy for a number of lineup combinations that immediately collapse if he isn´t included.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - Ghost of Podkolzin - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 02:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not really about him playing SF. Just how various sites like to list Luka, Brunson and SD. That was the key behind some of his best performances. Luka/Brunson/SD lineups. More often than not with SD being matched with a mediocre perimeter defender (best on Luka, second best on Brunson).

Don´t think your proposed lineup is bad even though I have my doubts about the defense. This season Luka/SD/Wood are -36 in 131 minutes. 107 O-Rating. 120 D-Rating. But maybe including Green can fix some of it. This season he has been the glue guy for a number of lineup combinations that immediately collapse if he isn´t included.

Good points

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - omahen - 12-25-2022

Block Sr. on Twitter: "Cut to the basket got damn it https://t.co/q20fsDZ4cg" / Twitter

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - Chicagojk - 12-25-2022

Should we be worried Green is out again (9th straight)?  I saw him working out prior to last game, so that is a good sign.   I just wondering if this is something more than they have reported.  I really hope not.

Disappointing Kemba is out for a second straight day.  It was reported he missed last game for management, so seeing him miss a second game (on national TV) is not great news.   When signed, I viewed him as a short term addition.  I wouldn't expect him to be around or help much in a playoff series.  Wished I would be wrong.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - sefant - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 01:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Should we be worried Green is out again (9th straight)?  I saw him working out prior to last game, so that is a good sign.   I just wondering if this is something more than they have reported.  I really hope not.

Disappointing Kemba is out for a second straight day.  It was reported he missed last game for management, so seeing him miss a second game (on national TV) is not great news.   When signed, I viewed him as a short term addition.  I wouldn't expect him to be around or help much in a playoff series.  Wished I would be wrong.

How’s your elbow been doing? Do you have a timeline to return in mind?

Green: I won’t be playing this road trip. I really couldn’t tell you, man. Doing as much treatment and working on it as much as I can, but we’re going to revisit it in another couple weeks with the training staff, so yeah. Just working on getting better as a player, being around the team, trying to be a team player.

Think Interview was a week ago.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 12-25-2022

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1607136438633795585?s=20&t=ZoRl8c1a3UunkhvNalHtkQ

It’s probably been mentioned around here but I hadn’t seen the 77M number until now. I think think 4/75 is pretty fair value honestly.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - KillerLeft - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 06:10 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1607136438633795585?s=20&t=ZoRl8c1a3UunkhvNalHtkQ

It’s probably been mentioned around here but I hadn’t seen the 77M number until now. I think think 4/75 is pretty fair value honestly.

Is there a way to do that extension for shorter years, or is this some crazy all or nothing CBA situation?

Personally, I think there’s enough there with Wood to keep the experiment going rather than move him in anything other than a slam dunk of a trade (I’m more interested in Wood’s potential here than Collins, for example) but they CAN’T risk losing another player for nothing. 

An extension long enough to defer this decision for a year seems like an ideal solution to me, if possible.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 06:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is there a way to do that extension for shorter years, or is this some crazy all or nothing CBA situation?

Personally, I think there’s enough there with Wood to keep the experiment going rather than move him in anything other than a slam dunk of a trade (I’m more interested in Wood’s potential here than Collins, for example) but they CAN’T risk losing another player for nothing. 

An extension long enough to defer this decision for a year seems like an ideal solution to me, if possible.

There are certainly folks on this board who can answer that better than I can but my understanding is that number is just max dollars and years and we can do anything up to that.

I was very much on the Collins bandwagon but it was solely because I was assuming Kidd wasn’t going to give Wood a chance as solo big and now that he’s finally doing it (by forces out of his control) my feelings are starting to change. Wood even at the 77M number would be better than Collins on his current deal so I kind of hope we pull that trigger and continue to use him the way we have since Maxis injury.

Extend Wood and then after next years draft you can flip Dinwiddie and Bullocks nearly 30M of expiring with however many picks you need to upgrade your running mate next to Luka and let that team figure it out over 3 years while Green and Hardy continue to develop.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - F Gump - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 06:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is there a way to do that extension for shorter years, or is this some crazy all or nothing CBA situation?

The limit is 4 year extension, with the 1st year limit at 120% of this season's salary of $14,317,459, and with year-to-year raises limited to 8% of the year 1 salary. Doing the max possible within those limits would be $76,970,660.

The years, salary, and raises can be for less, as desired, except that 1st year salary can't be lower than the minimum, and changes year over year have to be within 8% of the 1st year salary (whether it's a raise or a decrease).

Within those wide parameters, where it might land is all a matter of negotiation.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - Kammrath - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 06:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m more interested in Wood’s potential here than Collins

I am too in the sense of "bird in hand" kind of thinking, IF Kidd will play Wood the minutes and in the role he has been in recently. My fear is Maxi coming back and Wood having his minutes cut by like 10 a game and his role being minimized next to another big.

Since Maxi has gone out (7 games) and Kidd has been FORCED to play Wood as the lone big and with bigger minutes:

On/Off Net: +19.5 (team best)....+9.1 On, -10.4 Off
Mins: 33.7
Pts: 20.4
Rbds: 9.1
Asts: 1.7
Stls: 1.0
Blks: 2.0
FG%: 52.6
3P%: 35.6
FT%: 77.1

(12-25-2022, 06:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am too in the sense of "bird in hand" kind of thinking, IF Kidd will play Wood the minutes and in the role he has been in recently. My fear is Maxi coming back and Wood having his minutes cut by like 10 a game and his role being minimized next to another big.

Since Maxi has gone out (7 games) and Kidd has been FORCED to play Wood as the lone big and with bigger minutes:

My hope is that Powell’s role would be reduced when Maxi comes back which should have been the case from the get go with Wood getting folded into the rotation but never late than never I guess.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - StepBackJay - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 07:09 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: My hope is that Powell’s role would be reduced when Maxi comes back which should have been the case from the get go with Wood getting folded into the rotation but never late than never I guess.

Maxi is coming back next season

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - mvossman - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 06:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am too in the sense of "bird in hand" kind of thinking, IF Kidd will play Wood the minutes and in the role he has been in recently. My fear is Maxi coming back and Wood having his minutes cut by like 10 a game and his role being minimized next to another big.

I'm not sure why Wood would play less minutes with Maxi available or why Maxi (who is basically Dorian or Bullock offensively) would have any impact on his role?

Clearly our only playable bigs right now are Wood and Powell.  Powell has been starting ever since Kidd wisely gave up the McGee experience.  When Powell went down for a couple of games, Wood played well as the starting lone big (and definitely looked better defensively than earlier in the season although there are still lapses) and has started ever since.  I don't think his current starting role and minutes have anything to do with Maxi being out.  

Like most folks I think Wood should have gotten a few more minutes in the early games, and I would have put him in the starting lineup sooner than Kidd did (and it would have possibly been longer without the Powell injury).  But I do think he is really trying to get Wood to focus on defense, and I think there has been progress in that area.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery| Hardy injures back - F Gump - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 07:42 PM)mvossman Wrote: I do think he is really trying to get Wood to focus on defense, and I think there has been progress in that area.

I think that's accurate. The fact we're seeing growth in defense by Wood is what it's all about.

I think it's always been a case of the coaches trying to get Wood to be a keeper by upgrading his defense. The goal is a title, and building a winner means players have to develop multiple skills to be useful contributors. Having a bunch of one-way players isn't going to cut it.

And with Wood I think it's been a carrot-stick approach where minutes have been the reward, with starting his goal and motivator, and the coaches holding him accountable on defensive effort and focus to try to ingrain some positive habits. Hopefully, with him starting to do some things positively on defense, it will give him motivation and a foundation to build from.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - RoyTarpleysGhost - 12-25-2022

We think the Mavs are gonna offer the extension to Wood?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - Kammrath - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 08:59 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: We think the Mavs are gonna offer the extension to Wood?

No clue.

But they better...

1) ...offer the extension...

OR

2) ...trade him before the TDL.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - DanSchwartzgan - 12-25-2022

I think the more interesting question is who do we think the right comps are for Wood?

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - Kammrath - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 09:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think the more interesting question is who do we think the right comps are for Wood?

I think Lauri is definitely one and he just signed 4-yr/$67M in 2021.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - F Gump - 12-25-2022

(12-25-2022, 09:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But they better...

1) ...offer the extension...

OR

2) ...trade him before the TDL.

I agree with this binary set of options.

I don't want to see him walk for nothing.
I do not trust the Mavs to be able to negotiate a new deal with him at a fair price in the summer.
I do like the fact that an extension puts limits on the Mavs (as well as on Wood's demands).
I do like the fact that extension-or-trade forces open the door to incoming talent if the Mavs don't have the skills (or cooperation) to get a new deal (ie, extension) done. 
I do like the fact that extension-or-trade creates a short-but-workable deadline to figure out what we have, and then decide what to do about it, rather than keep kicking the can down the road.

RE: ROSTER TALK: Maxi out indefinitely after hamstring tear surgery - Branduil - 12-26-2022

By far the cheapest option for solving the "center problem" for the Mavs is to simply extend Wood. Any other option involves losing the scant assets still available to gain a player who might not even fit as well as Wood.