MavsBoard
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal? (/showthread.php?tid=2173)

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:03 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: I do find it interesting the specific August 23rd date being emphasized. Wouldn't shock me to see Christian Wood never play a second in a Mavs uniform. 

For those that didn't listen, Skin expects a trade for a wing player to happen in August before the season starts. As mentioned above, they have to wait until August 23rd but Wood, Kleber, Powell are the ideal pieces given their expiring contracts; he has also heard THJ thrown in the mix.

If the Christian Wood presser doesn't happen in the next month or so, I would get very suspicious. Skin also talks about how Wood/McGee are upgrades to Powell and how they can help this season so who knows. 

The 18-month plan is hilarious because it painfully reminds me of the "2-year plan" during the Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony chases. In other words, the Mavs have no plan. Just hope a disgruntled star wants to leave and come to Dallas, will never happen.

Wood plus THJ gets you pretty close to Durant $

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Fuerza1 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wood plus THJ gets you pretty close to Durant $

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCIBMt867U

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - loki - 07-02-2022

I could see a trade for a backup wing happening by August 23. I'd be shocked if they land anything more significant than that.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wood plus THJ gets you pretty close to Durant $

That’s a no-brainer for the Nets. Not sure the Mavs would do it.

https://twitter.com/billysierra16/status/1543059682188738565?s=21&t=VttqaVsSx6JUbZ9WxKqGsA

A little more humor this morning…

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Tyler - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:03 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: If the Christian Wood presser doesn't happen in the next month or so, I would get very suspicious.

I do already find it mildly suspicious that they've held a press conference for Hardy but not for Wood.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - BigDirk41 - 07-02-2022

This is a bold take, but I see Wood as our "Wiggins" trade. He had a bad reputation before going to the Warriors, but had all the physical tools to be good on both sides of the ball. Once he was around players better than him and on a team with a winning culture, he bought in and started playing defense at a really high level. I really think he's going to have a huge year for us. I can see him putting up 21-22 ppg and 10 rpg. I know that won't be the popular opinion, but that's just my feeling. He was really good in the short stint he had with Harden so we know he can play with a superstar.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:50 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This is a bold take, but I see Wood as our "Wiggins" trade. He had a bad reputation before going to the Warriors, but had all the physical tools to be good on both sides of the ball. Once he was around players better than him and on a team with a winning culture, he bought in and started playing defense at a really high level. I really think he's going to have a huge year for us. I can see him putting up 21-22 ppg and 10 rpg. I know that won't be the popular opinion, but that's just my feeling. He was really good in the short stint he had with Harden so we know he can play with a superstar.

If Wood isn’t a 20/10 guy here with Luka it will be a disappointment. That’s what he’s averaged the last 2 years in Houston.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

Quotes from Skin Wade...

Quote:"it is very unlikely they are keeping Dwight Powell"

Quote:"I suspect they are gearing up to make a big trade...for a wing player, I would think a deal would happen by the end of August"

(DP, Maxi, Wood, and THJ are the names mentioned around this deal)

Quote:"I think they definitely want a wing...they plan on getting that wing through a trade...like the rest of the league they are waiting on the Durant [situation to resolve]"

Quote:"if the risk was low enough I think they would go get Kyrie for one year; by risk, I mean 'what are you giving up?'....I don't think the Kyrie market is very strong"

Quote:"they took a huge gamble trying to trade JB before the trade deadline and that cost them the ability to sign him for 4 years and $55M...that was the risk they took"

Quote:"I know for a fact they have a plan they feel good about that entails losing Jalen...that may have been muddied by the Durant news...they wanted to get assets for JB, they didn't want to pay more than $22M, they knew they were probably going to lose him"

Quote:"this is about putting the right people around Luka, you weren't going to win a championship with JB next year....this is about 18 months from now....I think they have a group of players that if we get one of these players this will put us in championship contention"

Two thoughts from me:

1) Sounds like they made the decision to not lock up JB last summer and instead to go into the season with him as a trade asset. That backfired when they could not find a deal they liked. That seems to have been from the fact that other teams knew he was heading to NYK. They do not think JB is a championship piece next to Luka.

2) The "18 months from now" seems to be about when they think Luka will be ready to compete for the title. Seems they think next year (2022-2023) is not realistic, but the year after (2023-2024) is the beginning of their legit window of contention.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - loki - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Quotes from Skin Wade...

Two thoughts from me:

1) Sounds like they made the decision to not lock up JB last summer and instead to go into the season with him as a trade asset. That backfired when they could not find a deal they liked. That seems to have been from the fact that other teams knew he was heading to NYK. They do not think JB is a championship piece next to Luka.

2) The "18 months from now" seems to be about when they think Luka will be ready to compete for the title. Seems they think next year (2022-2023) is not realistic, but the year after (2023-2024) is the beginning of their legit window of contention.

In 18 months they'll be at the trade deadline with all their future picks available to trade. No good young pieces to add, so hopefully that's enough to land a real impact player.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Branduil - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:50 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This is a bold take, but I see Wood as our "Wiggins" trade. He had a bad reputation before going to the Warriors, but had all the physical tools to be good on both sides of the ball. Once he was around players better than him and on a team with a winning culture, he bought in and started playing defense at a really high level. I really think he's going to have a huge year for us. I can see him putting up 21-22 ppg and 10 rpg. I know that won't be the popular opinion, but that's just my feeling. He was really good in the short stint he had with Harden so we know he can play with a superstar.

Well like I said, if that's the case they need to lock him up as soon as possible. They can't let him get to UFA.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Winter - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 2) The "18 months from now" seems to be about when they think Luka will be ready to compete for the title. Seems they think next year (2022-2023) is not realistic, but the year after (2023-2024) is the beginning of their legit window of contention.

Yes, that is a different take entirely from the original statement. I'm sure Omahen didn't mean to suggest otherwise, it just came out that way

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - BigDirk41 - 07-02-2022

I personally think getting to the WCF finals was worth it for Luka's development. Him getting a taste of that level in the NBA is priceless. I think it will push him to get even better. I don't know what Brunson's value was at the trade deadline, but if it wasn't great and it doesn't sound like it was making the WCF finals was probably better than taking back a 2nd round pick or a player of lesser quality. It absolutely sucks we lost Brunson for nothing, but let's not devalue the experience for Luka. This could be what turns him into MJ/LeBron/Kobe as far as out working everyone else to get better.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - dirkfansince1998 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:02 AM)Winter Wrote: Yes, that is a different take entirely from the original statement. I'm sure Omahen didn't mean to suggest otherwise, it just came out that way

Can mean a lot of things. Could be about Luka himself. Could be about having the right pieces around Luka. Most likely scenario is the mentioned possibility of a big trade after next years draft. With all picks available.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:06 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Could be about having the right pieces around Luka.

This was the main point of emphasis from Skin Wade.

Does anyone really believe that if Luka absolutely thought we needed Brunson, that he wouldn't still be a Mavs? I'm not saying Luka would, but he absolutely has that kind of pull with the organization.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL prioritizing "wing & front-line depth" | NOT chasing Kyrie - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 07-02-2022

I also think the playoff experience, getting the WCF, is invaluable for Luka. We may already be seeing dividends with his better conditioning (thus far). Not trading JB right before the deadline is not really the issue for me.

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade" | "unlikely" DP is back - Smitty - 07-02-2022

Does it worry anyone that Wood is already being mentioned as a trade piece?

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing" | "unlikely" DP is back - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

One other thought on Skin Wade's comments:

He said he sees Maxi as a wing, NOT a big. So when he talks about the Mavs wanting a "wing" it could be a player in the mold of Maxi.

*cough, cough* JC *cough, cough* Wink

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing" | "unlikely" DP is back - Smitty - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 10:14 AM)Kammrath Wrote: One other thought on Skin Wade's comments:

He said he sees Maxi as a wing, NOT a big. So when he talks about the Mavs wanting a "wing" it could be a player in the mold of Maxi.

*cough, cough* JC *cough, cough* Wink

Orrrr…. PJ Washington. *cough*

RE: ROSTER TALK: DAL "gearing up for big trade for wing" | "unlikely" DP is back - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-02-2022

The 18 months comment may disappoint some folks but that was always the timeline because of the draft assets we’ll have then. Also on that note, I do wonder if we’re seeing more trades with picks that don’t include protections for this very reason, I feel like protections almost act as a double edged sword because of the Stepien Rule.

RE Brunson. What I’ll never understand is why they didn’t just sign him to the 55M deal and trade him down the road if that’s how they viewed him. Just such a fumbling of an asset in my mind.