MavsBoard
AROUND the NBA: ATL Jumps from #10 to #1 in Lotto| Pistons Mull Firing GM - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: AROUND the NBA: ATL Jumps from #10 to #1 in Lotto| Pistons Mull Firing GM (/showthread.php?tid=2171)

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - SleepingHero - 04-29-2024

(04-29-2024, 11:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lakers eliminated. 27-9 FTA not enough to win in Denver. Murray with another game winner.

That final possession where Jokic got raked across the arm and got a no-call. Immediately next possession Lebron barrels down and gets hit with arguably less contact and it's 2 FTs to tie the game.

Insane the bias. 

SO glad I can forget about Lebron for the next 5 months.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - SleepingHero - 04-29-2024

(04-29-2024, 11:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1785106359660462476

KP down...

Celtics called it right calf soreness. That looked worse than just soreness. 

I hope it wasn't anything more serious than that. First major KP injury in a while.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - Knutsen - 04-30-2024

(04-29-2024, 11:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That final possession where Jokic got raked across the arm and got a no-call. Immediately next possession Lebron barrels down and gets hit with arguably less contact and it's 2 FTs to tie the game.

Insane the bias. 

SO glad I can forget about Lebron for the next 5 months.

I completely agree, the bias is brutal. 
But you won’t be able to forget about LeBron for 5 months if he signs with us in 2 months I fear - which I‘m not sure I‘d like, but it is our best chance to become a tier 1 contender for the next seasons because surely 2 or 3 cheap, good veterans would follow to round out our squad.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - Luka77 - 04-30-2024

(04-29-2024, 11:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Celtics called it right calf soreness. That looked worse than just soreness. 

I hope it wasn't anything more serious than that. First major KP injury in a while.

That does look more serious than a pull/muscle strain. KP already had tape on the calf he injured so whatever he did extubated a previous injury.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - Winter - 04-30-2024

The number of injuries these last couple of weeks is pretty startling. Killer injuries to Williamson, KP, Kawhi, and several others.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - Chicagojk - 04-30-2024

Thunder looked great. Really disappointed in the Pelicans..even beign shorthanded. Outside of the first game, they did not look like a serious playoff team. I expect we are going to see some changes with their roster and possibly coaching staff.

On the other hand, I feel good about the Lakers. They just ran into an all time closing team. They were in every game and lost on two brutal buzzer beaters. I am not sure the Mavs beat this current Laker team if they matched up in the playoffs. They also have big decisions to make. I think they need another guard. Dinwiddie just ddn't cut it. But do they make a bigger move using draft picks? It is always dicey counting on a 40 year old to be great throughout the regular season like he was this year. AD was also healthy. Are their younger players ready to get some minutes? Is their coach back?

KP injury looked odd. Even if it is not serious, it all liklihood he is going to need time to get back to full strength. I don't see anyone in the East who is going to beat Boston without KP though. They just need to get him healthy for the finals.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - omahen - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 06:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thunder looked great.  Really disappointed in the Pelicans..even beign shorthanded.  Outside of the first game, they did not look like a serious playoff team.  I expect we are going to see some changes with their roster and possibly coaching staff.

On the other hand, I feel good about the Lakers.  They just ran into an all time closing team.  They were in every game and lost on two brutal buzzer beaters.  I am not sure the Mavs beat this current Laker team if they matched up in the playoffs.    They also have big decisions to make.  I think they need another guard.  Dinwiddie just ddn't cut it.  But do they make a bigger move using draft picks?  It is always dicey counting on a 40 year old to be great throughout the regular season like he was this year.  AD was also healthy.  Are their younger players ready to get some minutes?  Is their coach back?

KP injury looked odd.  Even if it is not serious, it all liklihood he is going to need time to get back to full strength.  I don't see anyone in the East who is going to beat Boston without KP though.  They just need to get him healthy for the finals.

NO: They have a huge amount of young 3-D wings. in my opinion their stars are a problem. They just don't fit together. Zion and Ingram are not great shooters. Add a non shooting centre and I really don't understand how they finished top 8 in the West. Personally I didn't believe in them at all. Neither Ingram or Zion are likely to be able to lead the team to true competitor status. Zion is a non shooter, weak defender and always injured. He is cetainly a freak of nature as far as his physicality goes, but I think he has enough weaknesses in his game you can always scheme against. Ingram is imho far from an alpha. Number two or three on a serious team - as a weak shooter he is a questionable fit next to Zion. JV can be good, but he will always be a playoff liability imho. NO imho has to decide which of Zion or Ingram they keep and use the other with assets (they have plenty) to bring in a better fitting player, probably an alpha level. Of course that is easier said than done.

Lakers: all indications are they will go hard after a second tier star. They have Reaves and three picks to offer. Trae Young probably tanked his value enough to be not worth more than that. Mitchell could also force his way out of Cleveland and has a lot of power to say where he wants to be. Both would be probably great fits for this team.

Thunder do look great indeed. Tough defense, athletic, fast pace, good shooting (even Giddey is shooting it well lately). Mavs (if they make it), will face a very different opponent. Their weakness is their lack of size.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - Chicagojk - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 06:44 AM)omahen Wrote: NO: They have a huge amount of young 3-D wings. in my opinion their stars are a problem. They just don't fit together. Zion and Ingram are not great shooters. Add a non shooting centre and I really don't understand how they finished top 8 in the West. Personally I didn't believe in them at all. Neither Ingram or Zion are likely to be able to lead the team to true competitor status. Zion is a non shooter, weak defender and always injured. He is cetainly a freak of nature as far as his physicality goes, but I think he has enough weaknesses in his game you can always scheme against. Ingram is imho far from an alpha. Number two or three on a serious team - as a weak shooter he is a questionable fit next to Zion. JV can be good, but he will always be a playoff liability imho. NO imho has to decide which of Zion or Ingram they keep and use the other with assets (they have plenty) to bring in a better fitting player, probably an alpha level. Of course that is easier said than done.

Lakers: all indications are they will go hard after a second tier star. They have Reaves and three picks to offer. Trae Young probably tanked his value enough to be not worth more than that. Mitchell could also force his way out of Cleveland and has a lot of power to say where he wants to be. Both would be probably great fits for this team.

Thunder do look great indeed. Tough defense, athletic, fast pace, good shooting (even Giddey is shooting it well lately). Mavs (if they make it), will face a very different opponent. Their weakness is their lack of size.

Mitchell is an interesting name that I haven't thought of.    It will probably take more than DLo, picks and prospects right?  They would probably need to include Reeves right?  But I could see Miami, Brooklyn and LAL all in a battle for Mitchell.    Brooklyn only involved because they have the most assets and some reason are trying to hold on to what they have.   I could see Chris Paul signing in LAL as another old guy looking for one last hurrah.   

I agree on New Orleans.  They are probably not a serious contender unless Zion can be a top 10 player in the league.  Injuries and being in shape are the two things holding him back.   I don't know if that elite movement/explosion he had at Duke is ever coming back.    I agree that him and Ingram are not a good fit.   Ingram was bad in the series and am curious what type of packages he will garner this offseason.   He always feels like a stats are better than he really is guy.   I agree about Jonas too. I would also explore moving CJ. He may be helpful as a scorer if they make other moves, but I just feel like he is a guy who doesn't always deliver when needed.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - HoosierDaddyKidd - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 06:44 AM)omahen Wrote: NO: They have a huge amount of young 3-D wings. in my opinion their stars are a problem. They just don't fit together. Zion and Ingram are not great shooters. Add a non shooting centre and I really don't understand how they finished top 8 in the West. Personally I didn't believe in them at all. Neither Ingram or Zion are likely to be able to lead the team to true competitor status. Zion is a non shooter, weak defender and always injured. He is cetainly a freak of nature as far as his physicality goes, but I think he has enough weaknesses in his game you can always scheme against. Ingram is imho far from an alpha. Number two or three on a serious team - as a weak shooter he is a questionable fit next to Zion. JV can be good, but he will always be a playoff liability imho. NO imho has to decide which of Zion or Ingram they keep and use the other with assets (they have plenty) to bring in a better fitting player, probably an alpha level. Of course that is easier said than done.

Good analysis. Most teams would die for the young wings the Pelicans have. Jones, Murphy, and Marshall all are long, good defenders, and athletic.  Murphy can shoot the 3. There are moves to be made, even though they won 49 games this year.  LeBron left his options open as far as returning to the Lakers. He's an unrestricted FA and not many teams will be willing to pay his 51-million-dollar salary next year except for the Lakers. There is even talk of giving Lebron a 3-year extension and drafting his son Bronny.  https://theathletic.com/5459081/2024/04/30/lebron-james-bronny-james-lakers-future/  I don't know what star they go after, but Trae Young as has been suggested would be a horrible fit. They need wings and another big like everyone else.   The Thunder are for real. I've been singing their praises all year, along with the T-Wolves. They aren't big, but they are fast and athletic. Everyone thinks their youth and inexperience is a negative. I don't. They are well coached, and each player has defined roles, and they all play on a string. They'll be a tough out for whoever they play.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - DallasMaverick - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 01:17 AM)Knutsen Wrote: I completely agree, the bias is brutal. 
But you won’t be able to forget about LeBron for 5 months if he signs with us in 2 months I fear - which I‘m not sure I‘d like, but it is our best chance to become a tier 1 contender for the next seasons because surely 2 or 3 cheap, good veterans would follow to round out our squad.

I’ll take LeBron on a vet min contract. So he can chase a ring with Luka and Kai.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - SleepingHero - 04-30-2024

https://twitter.com/HoopMixOnly/status/1785148654325481682

Moment where AD got hurt last night against the Nuggets. Such a massive hit, I can't believe the refs didn't call anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - michaeltex - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 01:26 AM)Luka77 Wrote: That does look more serious than a pull/muscle strain.  KP already had tape on the calf he injured so whatever he did extubated a previous injury.

Reports were that he was in a walking boot after the game, so that's not good. I hate that the guy has gotten this far only to be injured...again.

But, based on his time in DAL, isn't this what most of us expected?

(04-30-2024, 08:52 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I’ll take LeBron on a vet min contract. So he can chase a ring with Luka and Kai.

Not sure if even that is worth it, given the baggage he'll bring along. Plus the expectation you'd sign his kid, even thought he's not even worth a GLeague spot.

Mavs signing Lebron is like Jerry Jones resigning Zeke, more about publicity than performance.

(04-30-2024, 09:54 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Not sure if even that is worth it, given the baggage he'll bring along. Plus the expectation you'd sign his kid, even thought he's not even worth a GLeague spot.

Mavs signing Lebron is like Jerry Jones resigning Zeke, more about publicity than performance.

My only thing with Lebron is that defensively he's a sieve now. He constantly lets back door cuts happen to him. Doesn't really move around on the perimeter. He's too old. Replacing DJJ with him seems like a mistake. 

Offensively he'd be 10x better there. But do we really need what Lebron brings when you have Luka? 

I guess one could make an argument that Lebron would be a 3rd option here and wouldn't be asked to do a lot at all. That'd give him more energy to work on defense. Hard to imagine taking not 1 but 2 steps back behind Luka and Kyrie and accept a role player role.

(04-30-2024, 10:10 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: My only thing with Lebron is that defensively he's a sieve now. He constantly lets back door cuts happen to him. Doesn't really move around on the perimeter. He's too old. Replacing DJJ with him seems like a mistake. 

Offensively he'd be 10x better there. But do we really need what Lebron brings when you have Luka? 

I guess one could make an argument that Lebron would be a 3rd option here and wouldn't be asked to do a lot at all. That'd give him more energy to work on defense. Hard to imagine taking not 1 but 2 steps back behind Luka and Kyrie and accept a role player role.

I agree and would add that Lebron has never accepted 2nd fiddle anywhere he has been, CLE, MIA or LAL. 

Made sure both CLE stints were all about him. To the point that Kyrie asked out. 

Big 3 in MIA eventually became the Big 2 + Bosh until he left them hanging to return to CLE.

Went to a depeleted, post-Kobe LAL to try and show he could draw talent to put them back in contention. (FWIW, I don't count the "bubble" championship as ranking with the normal post season results)

As Confucius said, "there is only one ball".

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - mvossman - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 09:54 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Not sure if even that is worth it, given the baggage he'll bring along. Plus the expectation you'd sign his kid, even thought he's not even worth a GLeague spot.

I'm sorry but that is a really bad take.  Lebron is still easily a top 20 NBA player (Zeke is toast).  The idea that Lebron is not worth a min contract and a burnt second round pick is absurd.

(04-30-2024, 10:28 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm sorry but that is a really bad take.  Lebron is still easily a top 20 NBA player (Zeke is toast).  The idea that Lebron is not worth a min contract and a burnt second round pick is absurd.

No knock on his skills, although he's starting to slide. My comment was about the baggage and circus he'll bring with him. Plus the resources devoted to bringing Bronny into the fold.

Even on a vet min contract, which we all know is a vanishingly low probability. 

Personally, I like the culture DAL is building and, IMO, they don't need that kind of (temporary) distraction to continuing to build something significant.

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX! - mvossman - 04-30-2024

(04-30-2024, 10:57 AM)michaeltex Wrote: No knock on his skills, although he's starting to slide. My comment was about the baggage and circus he'll bring with him. Plus the resources devoted to bringing Bronny into the fold.

Even on a vet min contract, which we all know is a vanishingly low probability. 

Personally, I like the culture DAL is building and, IMO, they don't need that kind of (temporary) distraction to continuing to build something significant.

I don't disagree with concerns over Lebron bagging given what he will actually cost (burning a second to get his son is a negligible part of that).  But comparing Lebron to Zeke is massive disservice to Lebron.

(04-30-2024, 11:14 AM)mvossman Wrote: I don't disagree with concerns over Lebron bagging given what he will actually cost (burning a second to get his son is a negligible part of that).  But comparing Lebron to Zeke is massive disservice to Lebron.

I suppose a better question (and one I was trying to raise), is does this team NEED Lebron? 

And would you even take him for relatively free, say THJ+Green+Hardy (and we draft Bronny)?

(04-30-2024, 11:23 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I suppose a better question (and one I was trying to raise), is does this team NEED Lebron? 

And would you even take him for relatively free, say THJ+Green+Hardy (and we draft Bronny)?

I guess I'm on the no-LBJ side. At least at this point in his career and the team development. With all the media attention that would come with signing him.

But I was no-Kyrie a year ago and had trouble all summer trying to visualize how Luka + KI was going to work productively. Now I'm a beliver, so what do I know?