MavsBoard
SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 5 84-95 loss, JH 15 pts, 3 ast, 3 rbd, 7 TO - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 5 84-95 loss, JH 15 pts, 3 ast, 3 rbd, 7 TO (/showthread.php?tid=2166)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - Kammrath - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 11:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Ok. I guess I see now how he fell from #2 coming out of high school to the mid 30s. Brutal game, super inefficient, but it’s summer league. He has a lot of work to do but has a chance.

This game was a lot like many of his earliest G League games. Here are his splits in the G League....

First 8 Games:

17.1 PTS | 5.0 REB | 3.8 AST
1.4 STL | 3.3 TOV | 28.8 USG% | 45.5 TS%
32.9 FG% | 25.9 3P% | 90.5 FT%

Second 8 Games:

17.6 PTS | 2.9 REB | 2.9 AST
0.8 STL | 3.9 TOV | 31.2 USG% | 54.0 TS%
37.1 FG% | 27.8 3P% | 70.0 FT%

Last 8 Games:

22.5 PTS | 4.9 REB | 4.1 AST
1.8 STL | 2.9 TOV | 30.8 USG% | 54.9 TS%
42.2 FG% | 37.7 3P% | 85.7 FT%

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - SleepingHero - 07-12-2022

(07-11-2022, 11:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Ok. I guess I see now how he fell from #2 coming out of high school to the mid 30s. Brutal game, super inefficient, but it’s summer league. He has a lot of work to do but has a chance.

No. 3 pick Jabari Smith Jr. just had a 5-19 game 

Chet Holmgren had a 3-10 game.

Point is 1 game doesn't really mean anything especially in Summer League. That goes for Hardy's 28pt one the other day. 

But I am seeing plenty of stuff I like from him. Stuff that any team could use. He could've easily had way more than 5 ast tonight. His teammates missed all his reads. He got blocked a bunch by Tacko, but I also think he found really creative ways to get his shot off that would've been called a foul in the league.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - radix - 07-12-2022

Hardy has the raw potential to be an all-star. He just needs a lot of practice, coaching and refinement. If he continues to be a gym rat he will be a major contributor by the time he is 25. Could be a lot sooner.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - IamDougieFresh - 07-12-2022

Hardy is already better than Josh Green. When Luka passes to him wide open on the 3 point line he’s actually going to shoot it and his shot is pure. #sorrynotsorry

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - Okstate819 - 07-12-2022

AJ Lawson > Josh Green
AJ Lawson > Frank Ntlikina 

This isint a summer league overreaction. He’s got a skill set that fits what we need and could play more minutes than Hardy next season imo. At a minimum he should get the two way spot but i would easily cut Frank to give him a 4 year min deal with non gurantees yr 3 & 4. If we don’t someone else will.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

Last summer they didn´ bring any PGs. This summer they don´t have bigs. Not going to win a lot of games with Wright and Bingham. Lawson outplayed Wright. If Dorsey is getting the 2nd two-way Wright needs to go.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - hakeemfaan - 07-12-2022

Hardy’s biggest problem is that his handles are not tight enough in traffic. However he has a skillset that the coaching staff can utilize right now. Just make him play off the ball and come around screens. like many off guards who don’t have great handles do.  His stroke looks nice.

I don’t feel he has to put a lot of work to be able to crack the team. He can contribute right now if used a certain way while he keeps working on his handles too.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1546807970780045319

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

https://twitter.com/dmn_mavericks/status/1546723526090137601

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

Not a pretty game. 

I make very few conclusions in summer league but I have been disappointed in Wright.  For a guy who is suppose to be ultra athletic, he hasn't shown that at all trying finish inside.   And I think there are some rebounds he has to get if he wants to be an NBA player.  I was expecting some rough edges but not being a guy who gets 3-4 dunks a game was not something I was expecting.

RE: 2022 SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4....July 12, 14 | GAME 2: July 11, 9 pm - DanSchwartzgan - 07-12-2022

(07-11-2022, 10:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My highest confidence with him is that he will develop into an elite shooter. That shot feels too natural and smooth to do otherwise.

This was my point on draft night.  But I worry that he and the Mav's want him to be a three level scorer who handles the ball a lot and has high usage.  That is what he is against summer league and G-league competition with fairly inefficient results.  

I'm not positive that should be his NBA role to start and the more he tries to be that the more I fear he won't make it.  I'd rather he start as a three point shooter getting wide open looks here who can beat an aggressive closeout.  Let him find some success on something it appears he can learn to do and add the other stuff later.  Unfortunately, that won't happen being the star of our team in Frisco.  He's going to have to do it in NBA games which means spoon feeding him some minutes in his proper early career role rather than letting him develop bad habits in the minors.

(07-12-2022, 07:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This was my point on draft night.  But I worry that he and the Mav's want him to be a three level scorer who handles the ball a lot and has high usage.  That is what he is against summer league and G-league competition with fairly inefficient results.  

I'm not positive that should be his NBA role to start and the more he tries to be that the more I fear he won't make it.  I'd rather he start as a three point shooter getting wide open looks here who can beat an aggressive closeout.  Let him find some success on something it appears he can learn to do and add the other stuff later.  Unfortunately, that won't happen being the star of our team in Frisco.  He's going to have to do it in NBA games which means spoon feeding him some minutes in his proper early career role rather than letting him develop bad habits in the minors.

I resonate with a lot of this. 

But I have been coming back to how bad JB looked in summer league and early on in his career being a high usage ball handler, struggling to adjust to the speed, athleticism, etc. I think JH looks way more advanced than JB did at the same juncture and he was a full two years older than JH. 

JB was more restrained so he wouldn't keep pushing to produce largely inefficient nights as often but instead would fade when things weren't working. I like that JH doesn't give up and presses on confidently, BUT that can lead to bad habits of inefficiency. 

Frankly, I trust the Mavs staffers to figure out how to best develop JH. Recently they have been earning my trust again.

I bet if RC was here that JH would be relegated to spot up shooting, but JK really seems to give guys the freedom to explore all of their potential strengths.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - DanSchwartzgan - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:03 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I bet if RC was here that JH would be relegated to spot up shooting, but JK really seems to give guys the freedom to explore all of their potential strengths.

I think this is a good point.  I worry though that JK's won't have much influence if Hardy is trying to be a G-League All Star.  He needs to be surrounded by better players IMHO.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4..July 12, 14 | GM2: 82-83 loss, Hardy 14 pts, 5 ast, 6 rbd - ThisIStheYear - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:56 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: No. 3 pick Jabari Smith Jr. just had a 5-19 game 

Chet Holmgren had a 3-10 game.

Point is 1 game doesn't really mean anything especially in Summer League. That goes for Hardy's 28pt one the other day. 

But I am seeing plenty of stuff I like from him. Stuff that any team could use. He could've easily had way more than 5 ast tonight. His teammates missed all his reads. He got blocked a bunch by Tacko, but I also think he found really creative ways to get his shot off that would've been called a foul in the league.

I still like the pick, just tempering my expectations. He’s going to need a little time, mainly to improve his footwork, handles, and decision making. How far he goes will come down to how much he can improve.

RE: 2022 SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4....July 12, 14 | GAME 2: July 11, 9 pm - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This was my point on draft night.  But I worry that he and the Mav's want him to be a three level scorer who handles the ball a lot and has high usage.  That is what he is against summer league and G-league competition with fairly inefficient results.  

I think the fact that he is able to handle a bigger role against lesser competition is encouraging. Even though the efficiency isn´t where it needs to be. Compared to Tyrell Terry last summer he is looking a lot better. He can create for himself and can handle contact. Now he will need to make the transition to a lesser role. Something that can be easier for players that are used to being role players (even in college or the g-league). And something that could be even harder if he spends a lot of time in Frisco.

Personally my biggest concern is still the defensive end. I have seen the effort and it is hard to evaluate anything else in a summer league game because the overall team defense is a lot worse but Hardy´s lateral quickness doesn´t look great and he probably needs at least one year to catch up on the fundamentals. Positioning, angles, communication...

(07-12-2022, 08:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Personally my biggest concern is still the defensive end. I have seen the effort and it is hard to evaluate anything else in a summer league game because the overall team defense is a lot worse but Hardy´s lateral quickness doesn´t look great and he probably needs at least one year to catch up on the fundamentals. Positioning, angles, communication...

Right in step with you on this. 

I have seen much better D than I was anticipating, but not to the level I would like. But like you said, summer league is often chaos so hard to evaluate the most important aspects of defense-- responsibility within the team scheme.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 4..July 14 | GM 3: July 12, 10 pm - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1546865065915195393

RE: 2022 SUMMER LEAGUE: Gms 3&4....July 12, 14 | GAME 2: July 11, 9 pm - hakeemfaan - 07-12-2022

I mentioned the same thing in my post. There have been a lot of very good and some great players who did not handle the ball much as a guard.  It is up to the coaching staff to assess someone’s  inherent strengths and play to those strengths.  No one is stopping Hardy from keeping on working on his handles meanwhile but right know anytime he dribbles into traffic I am expecting something bad to happen.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 4..July 14 | GM 3: July 12, 10 pm - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

I think in time Jaden is going to be a very good ball handler.   I do agree he is dribbling himself into trouble, but that is to be expected.  Especially in summer league where guys who can dribble are extra aggressive to try to get theirs.  

He is a natural scorer and I am confident he will find ways to score.   It is going to take time though.  He needs a lot of work but I don't consider that bad.   These next year will be very important to him.  For the first time in his life, he won't be the center of attention.  So what he does when no one is watching will be one of the factors that determines his success.  

It does seem like he is putting pressure on himself.  I notice when he misses a free throw or open shot he claps his hands together.  That is all maturity.   You need to be able to play through misses and have a short memory.

RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 4..July 14 | GM 3: July 12, 10 pm - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

I can understand the “start him off simple” POV about Hardy playing off-ball. But…

I think playing off-ball is a whole different skillset, and much more difficult than many of us realize. 

And, I think the entire allure of Hardy is his ability to create shots (for himself, so far) off of the dribble. My opinion is that you lean into what he is, because that’s why you drafted him. 

If that takes longer, it takes longer. The mistake would be positioning yourself to NEED him to play right away if he’s not up to it.