MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-15-2020

3 days until the draft.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-15-2020

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1327993357692530691

Cool

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 10:07 AM)burekemde Wrote: I agree with kammrath. After watching more of Hayes, he is going to be really really good I think. The thing is, a player with multiple great skills, feel for the game, able to get in the paint and score easily from under the basket. Its ok when there is a skill or two you lack (right hand, spot up shooting), when you have so many other skills.

The more skills you have, the easier you are going to adapt. If you only have one skill , and it turns out to not work, you are really going to struggle.

In general, for players not being able to get easy in the paint and score from under the basket, whatever the style, through layups, dunks, or posting up, or combinations -  this lack of ability is one major indicator for struggling in the NBA. If you cant get to basket and score, you really will rely on outside shooting, and contributing in other ways, and then it gets hard if you are not elite shooter, or even if you are elite shooter in college but not in the NBA.

Hayes is a very safe pick. Different guard than Haliburton. Gets much better to the basket than Tyrese does. They both have the feel for game and adapting to situations. Haliburton is far better shooter. However, Hayes can post up, and make the mid range jumper as well under pressure.

Hayes may be the best player from this draft.
[Image: tumblr_pc8k0zxXh91v6ox13_500.gif]

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1328051407270916097

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - khaled1987 - 11-15-2020

So, I am trying to connect some of the dots we have. 
'We know that we had workouts/interviewed with Saddiq Bey,Tyrese Haliburton,Immanuel Quickley,Aaron Nesmith, Fish also reports we like Desmond Bane. 
There are probably few more whom I missed, and some who isn't reported. 
But what is the common them between them? 
They are all great 3 pt shooter, with the worst (Haliburton) shooting 41.9% from deep. All on high volume as Quickley being the one with least attempts per game at 5.3. Non are freshman either and all has good sample size to show their shooting. 

My suspicion? Mavs are targeting shooters in this draft, and it will be either a shooter or an international prospect, unless we trade out/down. 

PS: This is actually what I wanted going in the draft, so it might be just hopeful thinking of my part

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 08:02 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Aaron Nesmith

Did I miss the report that Mavs worked out Nesmith? 

Or am I getting old?

[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-15-2020, 08:02 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Mavs are targeting shooters in this draft

If so....my question:

1) Is it because they might be trading some shooting depth (Curry, THJ, DFS, etc) to get a 3rd star and need to restore it?

2) Is it because they think shooters can contribute faster than anyone else and they want to get the most out of a rookie?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavs2019 - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 08:02 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: So, I am trying to connect some of the dots we have. 
'We know that we had workouts/interviewed with Saddiq Bey,Tyrese Haliburton,Immanuel Quickley,Aaron Nesmith, Fish also reports we like Desmond Bane. 
There are probably few more whom I missed, and some who isn't reported. 
But what is the common them between them? 
They are all great 3 pt shooter, with the worst (Haliburton) shooting 41.9% from deep. All on high volume as Quickley being the one with least attempts per game at 5.3. Non are freshman either and all has good sample size to show their shooting. 

My suspicion? Mavs are targeting shooters in this draft, and it will be either a shooter or an international prospect, unless we trade out/down. 

PS: This is actually what I wanted going in the draft, so it might be just hopeful thinking of my part
 Let´s hope you are correct.

What stands out with Quickley is not just the 41% 3pt percentage. I think that´s pretty common in the NCAA. Even Justin Anderson shot 45% one year. I´m not sure how often I have seen 92.3% FT percentage on five per game. That´s pretty special to me. Heck I´d draft him #31 just so he can take our clutch free throws. That alone would have been worth like five wins last year. Cool

(11-15-2020, 08:12 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I´m not sure how often I have seen 92.3% FT percentage on five per game. That´s pretty special to me. Heck I´d draft him #31 just so he can take our clutch free throws.

YES. Quickley is a SPECIAL shooter as demonstrated by his free throws.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavs2019 - 11-15-2020

I´m not sure they worked out Nesmith.  Nesmith himself said that he (virtual) interviewed with the Mavs.

I don´t think the Mavs want the information leaked who they worked out in person. It would be a serious negative note, if a player blabbed; given how tight-lipped the Mavs always are with the draft.

The Mavs will only leak what they want to be known like the Cuban/Ntilikina photo.

(11-15-2020, 08:16 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The Mavs will only leak what they want to be known

Yeah I think the Mavs real target is NONE of the guys listed above. I would bet some money on it.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - loki - 11-15-2020

Isaiah Joe is another great shooter we could consider at 31. His 3pt% suffered last year because of the ridiculous volume (10.6 attempts per game) but that's not a good indicator of where he'll be in the NBA. He also shot 89% from the line.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - khaled1987 - 11-15-2020

I said Mavs workouts/interviewed prospects. So Nesmith falls in the interviewed players.

On a side note, I still don't get why the whole "Mavs leaked Ntilikina", Ntilikina is a player we genuinely liked across the draft, and we will never know how much we liked him since he wasn't available with our pick. 

Next draft it was worst kept secret that we liked Luka, also Anderson was highly expected to be Mavs pick in 2015. 

Mavs are vulnerable to leaks just like every other NBA team, no need to conspiracy theory things. 

You think if they like Nesmith and he is available they will be like"Nah, he admitted we interviewed him, pass"

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 08:47 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: I said Mavs workouts/interviewed prospects. So Nesmith falls in the interviewed players.

On a side note, I still don't get why the whole "Mavs leaked Ntilikina", Ntilikina is a player we genuinely liked across the draft, and we will never know how much we liked him since he wasn't available with our pick.

Next draft it was worst kept secret that we liked Luka, also Anderson was highly expected to be Mavs pick in 2015.

Mavs are vulnerable to leaks just like every other NBA team, no need to conspiracy theory things.

You think if they like Nesmith and he is available they will be like"Nah, he admitted we interviewed him, pass"

Way to rip those new clothes off the emperor.

(11-15-2020, 08:47 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Next draft it was worst kept secret that we liked Luka, also Anderson was highly expected to be Mavs pick in 2015.

1) The Mavs before draft NIGHT had postured a LOT through Fish that Luka was NOT the top of their draft board (the reality is that he was and slipped white lies to Fish about Ayton, etc). On draft night they could no longer hide their interest as the trade with ATL became serious, but I do believe the Mavs were doing whatever they could to get PHX and SAC to pass on Luka. 

2) I do NOT remember Anderson being "highly expected" to be drafted in 2015....are you talking about in the weeks leading up to the draft?

(11-15-2020, 08:47 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: I said Mavs workouts/interviewed prospects. So Nesmith falls in the interviewed players.

On a side note, I still don't get why the whole "Mavs leaked Ntilikina", Ntilikina is a player we genuinely liked across the draft, and we will never know how much we liked him since he wasn't available with our pick. 

If there is another guy they rate on the same level as Nesmith, then yes small things like character will make the difference.

Like telling guys not to do something like eat a hot dog at HT.Of course we all know that the level of talent matter.

When Nerlens does it, he gets buried. If Luka does it, the guy who sold him the hot dog gets buried.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 09:01 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Like telling guys not to do something like eat a hot dog at HT.Of course we all know that the level of talent matter.

When Nerlens does it, he gets buried. If Luka does it, the guy who sold him the hot dog gets buried.

Not trying to interrupt the conversation. You guys are rolling. Just want to pop a quick point of clarification in on this note:

The hot dog Noel got was from media dining, which is very near the locker rooms. It was free. They have cafeteria style meals before games for all the media people, beat writers, some Mavs employees, etc. At halftime they have hot dogs and popcorn available. I've eaten probably 300 pregame meals there. It's a pretty decent scene, and you can overhear lots of interesting things.

Not sure I agree with all of Hoop Intellect's opinions here, but I like his evaluation videos. 

https://youtu.be/S6Z0c6QTdTs

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - khaled1987 - 11-16-2020

2 days, and few hours , till the Mavs get a future All NBA player who will be their 2nd best player during the Luka dynasty.
#FACTS
#Wemove

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 06:52 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: 2 days, and few hours , till the Mavs get a future All NBA player who will be their 2nd best player during the Luka dynasty.
#FACTS

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 11-16-2020

This is a huge material for draft afficionados by Sam Vecenie. Detailed description of strength and weaknesses of top 100 players on his board.

https://theathletic.com/2198272/2020/11/16/top-100-nba-draft-prospects-for-2020-final-rankings-big-board-and-player-tiers/

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-16-2020

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1328361051193303042