MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 12:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think it says more that picks in *this* draft don't have so much move-up value.

THIS.

(11-03-2020, 12:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: "The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26 and 30) in trades to try and move up, according to multiple league sources. So far, no one is biting.

RULE #1:

DON'T TRADE WITH AINGE. 

Good job everyone!

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-03-2020

What I think it says, reading between the lines (admittedly, I could be way off) is that the teams in the lottery who are wanting to move out are doing it for primarily financial reasons. GS, for example, is a repeat LT payer, so the #2 pick would cost them a ton next year. I think they're trying to trade off the pick AND dump Wiggins, only so far, nobody has agreed to take Wiggins. 

I bet there's some type of "poison pill" you have to swallow in every one of these trade up scenarios, and teams are negotiating ways of avoiding them. Just my guess.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 12:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they're trying to trade off the pick AND dump Wiggins, only so far, nobody has agreed to take Wiggins.

No question this is the kind of thing GSW would want, in addition to guys who can contribute NOW.

I think we are also WAY too far out for any trades to be agreed to. Teams are feeling each other out and trying to get the best deal they can. 

Deadlines make deals. The deadline is still 15 days away. 

I think when all is said and done, deals will happen and I think trading up in this draft will prove to be relatively cheap compared to most years.

P.S. I think #2+Wiggins fits the Mavs narrative of willing to take on bad money for a star....IF the Mavs have a guy identified in this draft as that. And for those who would balk at Wiggins contract, it is way cheaper than Tobias. I personally would pull the trigger on #2+Wiggins (depending on what is going the other way) and I would take Hayes at #2. But that's just me.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 12:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they're trying to trade off the pick AND dump Wiggins, only so far, nobody has agreed to take Wiggins.

No question this is the kind of thing GSW would want, in addition to guys who can contribute NOW.

I think we are also WAY too far out for any trades to be agreed to. Teams are feeling each other out and trying to get the best deal they can.

Deadlines make deals. The deadline is still 15 days away.

I think when all is said and done, deals will happen and I think trading up in this draft will prove to be relatively cheap compared to most years.

P.S. I think #2+Wiggins fits the Mavs narrative of willing to take on bad money for a star....IF the Mavs have a guy identified in this draft as that. And for those who would balk at Wiggins contract, it is way cheaper than Tobias. I personally would pull the trigger on #2+Wiggins (depending on what is going the other way) and I would take Hayes at #2. But that's just me.

My opening salvo would be Curry (reunite the brothers), Wright, and Powell for 2 and Wiggins. Saves the GSW the #2 money, at least. Any trade has to salary match Wiggins. Will that get it done? Lulz no, but I'm not sure how much more I'm willing to do. Wiggins is a very problematic player on a big contract who would probably make any hair Carlisle had left fall out. Edit: yeah, that's a stupid idea. Why would the Warriors be willing to strip away so much talent when they're competing for a championship? Even Curry/Maxi/DFS/18/31/'25 probably doesn't get it done, and there's no way I do that. Oh well. BTW, I probably would do something like KP for 2 and not Wiggins but Klay (and take Wiseman or Okongwo, likely the latter), but no way the Warriors do that.

In the fantasy world where the Warriors would do that KP trade - then what if you could do (since we're in a fantasy world anyway) Powell/Wright/Jackson/18/31/'25 for OPJ?

Luka/Brunson
Klay/Curry
THJ/DFS
OPJ/Maxi
Okongwu/WCS

If you can re-sign OPJ for a reasonable re-up, is there enough left for GA?

Quote:Texas Tech guard [b]Jahmi’us Ramsey[/b] and Kentucky guard [b]Immanuel Quickley[/b] are among the prospects whom the [b]Heat[/b] have reached out to about potential in-person workouts, according to Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald.

The club only holds the No. 20 pick in this month’s draft, but is doing plenty of homework on the players who could be options in that range — Ramsey is the 35th prospect on ESPN’s big board, while Quickley – who has interviewed with Miami twice, per Jackson – ranks 42nd.

As Jackson details, the Heat have also “taken a look” at Washington forwards [b]Jaden McDaniels[/b] and [b]Isaiah Stewart[/b], who are 23rd and 27th on ESPN’s board. Additionally, Miami has called to speak to Kentucky guard [b]Ashton Hagans[/b], who is ranked just 68th by ESPN. Hagans would likely only be an option for the Heat if they acquire a second-round pick or if he goes undrafted, Jackson notes.

The Heat were also expected to view group workouts for Minnesota big man [b]Daniel Oturu[/b] (No. 37 on ESPN) and Arizona guard [b]Nico Mannion[/b] (No. 25), writes Jackson. And as our JD Shaw reported on Monday, College of Charleston guard [b]Grant Riller[/b] has interviewed with Miami as well.

(11-03-2020, 01:22 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Why would the Warriors be willing to strip away so much talent when they're competing for a championship?

What do you mean? Wiggins? The #2?

https://thepaintedlines.com/your-main-nba-combine-takeaways-so-far/

Quote:I have Tyler Bey slotted as a wing but you can make the case of him projecting as a small big. I am a bit concerned about where he fits at the next level. But one thing is certain, he is going to bring immediate defensive versatility. Bey’s tape screams of high defensive IQ. At a 43.5″ vertical, you can sprinkle an element of rim protection to his game as well.

Bey was frequently used as a post up big in Colorado. I do not see that as his path in the NBA. I do like his potential as a rim runner. Bey is super active off the ball, and finished in the 88th percentile among possessions near the rim (per Synergy). His passing vision, defensive potential and explosiveness should warrant a late first round pick. But we will have to see if teams will overlook his scoring shortcomings.

Quote:Ty-Shon Alexander is flying under the radar and it is about time the draft world takes notice. He is one of the draft’s best point of attack defenders. Some of what made Lu Dort a household name was his length and ability to shuffle his feet against James Harden. Alexander is not as stout physically, but mirrors Dort in length. Alexander’s exceptional shuttle time is a strong indicator of his lateral quickness translating in similar fashion.

I also love the shot making potential off the catch. Alexander ranked in the 77th percentile in all catch and shoot possessions (per Synergy). He has a high release point that should translate in the pros. Now, do not expect much of him on the ball. Alexander is not an explosive downhill player. The vertical numbers validate the film. Just give him the tough defensive assignments and let him thrive as a shooting outlet. This is a good combine for Alexander, who is likely to slot in the middle of the second round.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 01:22 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Even Curry/Maxi/DFS/18/31/'25 probably doesn't get it done

This, totally agree. I don't know why some think GSW have any cash problems. They are super rich. They are not looking to dump Wiggins, they are looking to improve him (or use #2 to bring another ready player in the trade exception). Their core has a couple of years left and they will do everything to win in those years.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-03-2020

Kamm, giving away both 2 and Wiggins for minimal talent in return would strip the Warriors of a lot of talent. Both.

Now, if there was the possibility of a three-way that somehow moves the Mavs' players to a team with cap room - a trade with Atlanta that would net the Mavs Wiggins and 6th pick while sending the 2nd to Atlanta? Hmmm...

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-03-2020

I vehemently disagree with any notion that GS or ANY team in the league sees Wiggins in terms of "talent" anymore. 

Having said that, none of us know what's going to happen, so there's no use arguing about it.

(11-03-2020, 01:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: giving away both 2 and Wiggins for minimal talent

They would want role players READY to contribute. Kerr knows what he has in Wiggins, if he doesn't fit there then he is a NEGATIVE talent for them. AND if they think any #2 pick is three years away that does them ZERO good. They have to WIN NOW, urgently.

https://twitter.com/nbadraftnet/status/1323712463062224896

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - cow - 11-03-2020

Wiggins to the Mavs? Just when I thought this board couldn't top my contempt for the trade ideas of Dipo and OPJ. WOOF

Boston moving up makes too much sense.

(11-03-2020, 05:46 PM)cow Wrote: Wiggins to the Mavs?

Just a theoretical. 

If two years ago the Mavs would have had to take on Wiggins to get the #3 pick to get Luka would you have done it?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - cow - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 07:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 05:46 PM)cow Wrote: Wiggins to the Mavs?

Just a theoretical. 

If two years ago the Mavs would have had to take on Wiggins to get the #3 pick to get Luka would you have done it?

At the time, no.  Is there a Luka in this draft?

(11-03-2020, 07:27 PM)cow Wrote: At the time, no.  Is there a Luka in this draft?

I do not think there is a Luka, but I am REALLY high on Killian Hayes. 

My only point in asking the question is to at least hold out the possibility that if the Mavs LOVE someone in this draft (like they did Luka) then it might make sense to take on Wiggins to get that guy. That is all I was proposing. If the Mavs scouts don't think there is a star in this draft then "HELL NO" to Wiggins.

(11-03-2020, 07:34 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 07:27 PM)cow Wrote: At the time, no.  Is there a Luka in this draft?

I do not think there is a Luka, but I am REALLY high on Killian Hayes. 

My only point in asking the question is to at least hold out the possibility that if the Mavs LOVE someone in this draft (like they did Luka) then it might make sense to take on Wiggins to get that guy. That is all I was proposing. If the Mavs scouts don't think there is a star in this draft then "HELL NO" to Wiggins.

In what most are calling a weak draft, I don't care how much the Mavs love someone.  I don't think you can pull the trigger with 3-year of Wiggins contract remaining.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-04-2020

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/03/report-celtics-wizards-magic-trying-to-trade-up-in-nba-draft/

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - DanSchwartzgan - 11-04-2020

(11-03-2020, 11:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 11:32 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I kind of doubt the plan would be for Nesmith to immediately replace someone.  But, a year from now...

I’ve seen Tim Cato (I think) talk about the need to draft a SG.  THe theory is THJ may or may not still be here a month and certainly not a season from now.  If you take his salary to fill another position, Curry is all you have left at SG.  He’s 30 and gets hurt fairly regularly.  So, Nesmith fits as third in line there...now...and could easily move up a slot or two over time.

Great points.

If THJ is being moved for any reason this year OR next and you aren't immediately replacing him with a SG, then again a Nesmith type becomes a HUGE need.

Timing probably depends on Plan Powder vs. Plan Go-for-it-Now decision.  If Plan Powder, this is an investment designed to pay off starting in 2021 (assuming I'm right about Nesmith).  If they plan to be aggressive now, then THJ makes great sense as a trade piece (valuable as a player and valuable as a trade chip).  BTW, if THJ is traded, Dallas probably keeps C. Lee as a third SG to take some pressure off of someone like Nesmith.

With Hardaway's $19mm salary, it is pretty easy to get to the numbers needed for the Hayward's, Gallo's, Griffin's and T. Harris's of the world.  I've included Griffin (we haven't talked about him much) mainly because he's an Excel guy.  If you can get Thybulle included in a deal for Harris, it balances out the roster pretty nicely.

KP/WCS/Boban
Harris/Maxi
DFS/Thybulle
Curry/Nesmith/Lee
Luka/Brunson

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-04-2020

14 days until the draft.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-04-2020

[Image: El_xARGVkAAc4WB?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Omega_Supreme - 11-04-2020

I do not understand the lover affair for Hayward.

I am not sure if he makes us better than we already are