MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 11-02-2020

(11-02-2020, 02:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This feels like fan, arm-chair GM overthinking.

Second time you use this term. Hello Donnie Smile

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-02-2020

Quote:Point guard [b]Grant Riller[/b] has intrigued multiple teams as a prospect with high upside ahead of the 2020 NBA draft, a source told Hoops Rumors.

Riller’s crafty ability to score — particularly around the rim — has helped him become a projected early-second round pick. Some league observers have even placed the 23-year-old at the end of the first round. He has already interviewed with teams such as the [b]Heat[/b] (No. 20), [b]Sixers[/b] (No. 21), [b]Nuggets[/b] (No. 22), and [b]Lakers[/b] (No. 28) and [b]Raptors[/b] (No. 29).

Riller, who spent four seasons at the College of Charleston and recorded a 39.5″ max vertical last week, averaged 21.9 points per game in his final two years with the school. He shot 51.9% from the floor and 34.4% from downtown during those campaigns, connecting on 63% of his attempts around the basket on non-post ups during his collegiate career.

Riller remains one of the only seniors who could be selected in the first round of the draft

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1323306675550396417

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-02-2020

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1323354491651911680

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-02-2020

The top 5 picks must be SO cheap right now. I seriously want someone to trade for one just so I can just see how cheap the price actually is for posterity's sake.

More smoke on #9 being available:

Quote:What type of trade would make sense for both parties if the Wizards gave up the No. 9 pick for an established player? Fred Katz of The Athletic takes an in-depth look into that scenario, suggesting players such as [b]Luke Kennard[/b], [b]Larry Nance[/b] Jr., [b]Josh Okogie[/b] and [b]Derrick White[/b] could fit the bill. Washington is hoping for a playoff run with the return of [b]John Wall[/b] next season, which makes it sensible to deal the pick for more immediate help.

We have more on the Wizards:
  • In another take on the draft, Tyler Byrum and Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington unveil a mock draft in which the Wizards trade down. In this instance, Washington does business with Boston to pick up two first-rounders later in this draft plus a young player.

https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/1323426567813533696

https://twitter.com/BryanKalbrosky/status/1323455606615932929

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Dundalis - 11-03-2020

(11-02-2020, 01:09 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 10:21 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 10:11 AM)burekemde Wrote: To me, S. Bey really stands out for the mid range game

Here is SBey's shot chart (his midrange game is really bad even though he does it a lot):

[Image: saddiq-bey-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

Is this based on last season or in total? These numbers should be taken with caution like all stats should. I am also referring more to how he can score in what situations.

This also depends on the situation and if one shoots as covered up mid range, or an open mid range shot. In the end, watching to understand if he can do or not is more important IMO. 

With S. Bey, this is most often where he is covered, posting someone up and getting the shot off, one on one, this is what I find most thrilling about his game, more than his 3 point or inside game. 

Its like people that say Luka cant shoot 3s that he is terrible. They do not account that he does it in the most difficult imaginable situations, where defense cant do anything about, where he is covered, and stepping back. If he was shooting open 3 point shots every game, multiple times, his stats would look different obviously.

Sadiq can take the midrange game in a well covered defense and score. Due to his strength and size, this has more chance to translate IMO.

I don't think Luka is a bad shooter, but his numbers on completely open 3's were bad too. His FT were incredibly inconsistent. You can't give him that much leeway with the difficulty of shot thing, sure it's relevant, but I really expected to see some improvement from year 1 and there wasn't any. His gigantic inside scoring improvement totally saved his efficiency. He does need to take better shots but he needs a lot of work on his shot fullstop IMO. Want to see real improvement in year 3, as IMO defenders were actually starting to sag off him a little bit more and more as the season went on in order to just prevent the drive (of course his heavy PnR use mitigates this a bit).

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 11-03-2020

(11-02-2020, 09:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: suggesting players such as [b]Luke Kennard[/b], [b]Larry Nance[/b] Jr., [b]Josh Okogie[/b] and [b]Derrick White[/b] could fit the bill.

Wow. No wonder Washington is where they are if they think these are good value offers. Would you trade #9 for any of those guys? I wouldn't trade #18 for Nance unless they are taking Powell. I would perhaps offer #31 for Okogie, because his defense is not that great to compensate his total lack of shooting. I would do #9 for Kennard if I get mid first round pick back. White is the only one it could make me consider do it.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - dirkfansince1998 - 11-03-2020

Starting to think that this might be the golden opportunity to add more picks or move up. The value of picks in this years draft seems to be at an alltime low. Maybe the draft class is just really bad. Maybe teams aren´t confident because we had no NCAA tournament or the usual pre draft workouts/combines. Most of the time the difference in quality is more about the top picks and not the mid/late 1st or 2nd round. Gambling on those picks might be worth it.
I think Kamm already mentioned it. Zigging when everyone else is zagging. Not the usual Mavs approach but with the limited amount of assets it could be the best option.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 05:04 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Starting to think that this might be the golden opportunity to add more picks or move up. The value of picks in this years draft seems to be at an alltime low. Maybe the draft class is just really bad. Maybe teams aren´t confident because we had no NCAA tournament or the usual pre draft workouts/combines. Most of the time the difference in quality is more about the top picks and not the mid/late 1st or 2nd round. Gambling on those picks might be worth it.
I think Kamm already mentioned it. Zigging when everyone else is zagging. Not the usual Mavs approach but with the limited amount of assets it could be the best option.

I think this draft is extremely top light. Basically you are drafting a very similar level of player at pick number 4 or pick number 12. Of course this doesn't mean teams will be giving up those picks for a bag of peanuts. We could trade up by offering following:
- draft picks to rebuilding teams like Detroit and similar (#31 is not enough, perhaps with 2025 FRP)
- good surefire starter level players to teams looking to make next step (Atlanta and similar). I don't think we really have any of those, as we are ourselves looking to upgrade our role players to starters

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 05:04 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Starting to think that this might be the golden opportunity to add more picks or move up. The value of picks in this years draft seems to be at an alltime low. Maybe the draft class is just really bad. Maybe teams aren´t confident because we had no NCAA tournament or the usual pre draft workouts/combines. Most of the time the difference in quality is more about the top picks and not the mid/late 1st or 2nd round. Gambling on those picks might be worth it.

I am 100% here. 

My approach would be to see if there is "consensus" from the team scouts on any of the top players. If there is (including that gut feeling from Donnie) then I would hope they would strike and do what they need to get to where they need to get that guy. 

I truly think most of the top 10 guys will end up being "meh" players for their respective draft positions, but I also think one or two could still be stars. I personally think Killian Hayes is THE guy. IF the scouts are convinced he has the mentality and work ethic to:

1) Work on his catch and shoot game off the ball.
2) Work on that right hand (he basically plays with one hand as a 19 year old and is still pretty dominant).  

If he adds those two things then I don't see how he will fail to be a star.

(11-03-2020, 06:18 AM)omahen Wrote: Basically you are drafting a very similar level of player at pick number 4 or pick number 12.

Yep, this.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - DanSchwartzgan - 11-03-2020

Fearless prediction time...

The Ringer's (Kevin O'Connor) mock has us taking Aaron Nesmith at 18.  This rings true to me and is now my fearless prediction.

Fills the THJ vacancy if he is traded now or sacrificed for space in 2021.
Covers for the injury risk we have with Curry
Agent firm is Excel (Schwart's firm)
College coach is Stackhouse

Donnie always has a back story about how the team is connected to someone they trust in explaining why it took this player or that...always.  This seems to me to be a logical pick and has the required back story and agent relationship to boot.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 09:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The Ringer's (Kevin O'Connor) mock has us taking Aaron Nesmith at 18.  This rings true to me and is now my fearless prediction.

I think O'Connor tends to have sources so I do NOT think he connects guys to teams just arbitrarily like so many mock drafts. 

The Mavs taking Nesmith at #18 wouldn't surprise me and I would love that pick. 

HOWEVER, my question is this: Are they willing to trade up into the lottery to get him? Is he the guy (or one of the guys) they want to move up to ensure they get?

I always like these film sessions to get a sense of personality of the guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koltoZpL7l4

Latest Ringer Mock Draft updated today with the most recent intel:

1) Edwards
2) Wiseman
3) Okongwu
4) Avdija
5) Okoro
6) Ball
7) Haliburton
8) Hayes
9) Vassell
10) Lewis
11) Toppin
12) Williams
13) Smith
14) Hampton
15) Maxey
16) SBey
17) Achiuwa
18) Nesmith
19) Terry
20) Bane
21) Green
22) Nnaji
23) McDaniels
24) Anthony
25) Pokusevski
26) Bolmaro
27) Stewart
28) Flynn
29) Maledon
30) Tille

Makes me happy to see TBey there at #31. I would be very happy with Nesmith at #18 and TBey at #31.

O'Connor's note on Mavs taking Nesmith:

Quote:The Mavericks were stuck with Seth Curry defending Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs on far too many occasions. Nesmith could help by providing another wing defender, and he’s one of the best shooters in the class.

Him mentioning Seth Curry in the same breath as drafting Nesmith makes me wonder if Curry will be on the move this offseason. You definitely need to take someone like Nesmith if you are using Curry as a trade chip.

(11-03-2020, 09:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: HOWEVER, my question is this: Are they willing to trade up into the lottery to get him? Is he the guy (or one of the guys) they want to move up to ensure they get?

I think that would be a realistic target to move up. I just have a hard time seeing a team in 12-15 range that would be willing to trade down with us for #18+#31. NOLA has too many picks already. Perhaps Sacramento would value 2 picks, although their #12 is quite higher for our #31 to bridge the gap. Perhaps Boston for 2025 pick, as they have too many picks anyway? We keep #18. Are we brave enough to leave a very weak protection on that 2025? I like the sound of the idea as I write it Smile It would enable us to trade who we like and still use #18 to move Wright for something more useful.

(11-03-2020, 11:02 AM)omahen Wrote: I just have a hard time seeing a team in 12-15 range that would be willing to trade down with us for #18+#31

I could be wrong, but I really think moving up is going to be REALLY cheap compared to normal.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-03-2020

The Charlotte Hornets have the No. 3 overall pick in the 2020 NBA draft, and they might be zeroing in on USC forward Onyeka Okongwu.

The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor reported the Hornets "are likely targeting a big man and are heavily considering Okongwu."

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - DanSchwartzgan - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 09:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 09:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The Ringer's (Kevin O'Connor) mock has us taking Aaron Nesmith at 18.  This rings true to me and is now my fearless prediction.

I think O'Connor tends to have sources so I do NOT think he connects guys to teams just arbitrarily like so many mock drafts. 

The Mavs taking Nesmith at #18 wouldn't surprise me and I would love that pick. 

O'Connor's note on Mavs taking Nesmith:

Quote:The Mavericks were stuck with Seth Curry defending Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs on far too many occasions. Nesmith could help by providing another wing defender, and he’s one of the best shooters in the class.

Him mentioning Seth Curry in the same breath as drafting Nesmith makes me wonder if Curry will be on the move this offseason. You definitely need to take someone like Nesmith if you are using Curry as a trade chip.

Thanks for posting the video.

Think back to 2004.  Dallas drafted Devin while Nash was still a year away from becoming a FA.  I kind of doubt the plan would be for Nesmith to immediately replace someone.  But, a year from now...

I’ve seen Tim Cato (I think) talk about the need to draft a SG.  THe theory is THJ may or may not still be here a month and certainly not a season from now.  If you take his salary to fill another position, Curry is all you have left at SG.  He’s 30 and gets hurt fairly regularly.  So, Nesmith fits as third in line there...now...and could easily move up a slot or two over time.

(11-03-2020, 11:32 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I kind of doubt the plan would be for Nesmith to immediately replace someone.  But, a year from now...

I’ve seen Tim Cato (I think) talk about the need to draft a SG.  THe theory is THJ may or may not still be here a month and certainly not a season from now.  If you take his salary to fill another position, Curry is all you have left at SG.  He’s 30 and gets hurt fairly regularly.  So, Nesmith fits as third in line there...now...and could easily move up a slot or two over time.

Great points.

If THJ is being moved for any reason this year OR next and you aren't immediately replacing him with a SG, then again a Nesmith type becomes a HUGE need.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-03-2020

Well, to be fair, Kamm's Hayes theory takes care of SG, too, just in a different way. 

But, my opinion is that in a draft where so many players are on a similar level you just don't know who's going to hit and who's not. But Nesmith's shooting ability WILL translate to the next level. For that reason, I think he's one of the absolute safest picks you could make. If we are truly living in a world where he's available at #18, I think you take him and run. I'd prefer them not to move up if that's the case. 

But, we don't know what it will cost to move up yet. It could be super cheap this year. If it's RIDICULOUSLY cheap, that's a different conversation, I guess.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-03-2020

If it's so ridiculously cheap to move up in this draft, then that ought to make even the Mavs' garbage assets currency enough to move up. In other words, either the "ridiculously cheap move-up" or "the Mavs are pulling out all the stops to move up" would be BS. Or a deal is done and waiting for the draft. 

I'll say it again - I think the "Mavs want to move up" is either a smokescreen, or, more likely, they're trying to add a lottery pick in order to move it, and teams' asking price takes away other assets that they want to trade along with the lottery pick. That's just cynical speculation though. If we actually pick someone on draft day in the 4-18 range and actually keep him, I'll be a happy man.

My main chip to move up would not be 31 (because I want a shot at Tiger, Woodard, Reed, et al.) but rather Brunson. Cheap deal, good young player. I'm surprised that more around here don't put him in the DFS/Maxi/Curry "darn near untouchable/love our Boys in Blue" category. He should give plenty of move-up value.

15 days until the draft.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-03-2020

This is from the Hoopshype rumor crawl, so take it for what it's worth, but:

"The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26, and 30) in trades to try and move up,

"The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26 and 30) in trades to try and move up, according to multiple league sources. So far, no one is biting. If the Celtics stay here, Hampton would make sense because he could serve as a spark-plug scorer off the bench. If Gordon Hayward were to leave Boston, secondary shot creation would be needed sooner rather than later."

Not sure that paints the "moving up is super cheap" narrative we were all hoping for. Could be BS though. 

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-03-2020

Omahen - I guess I belong to the camp that sees Wright at his current contract as having barely-negative-value in the league right now, and certainly shouldn't cost much more than a future 2nd to move him.

(11-03-2020, 12:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is from the Hoopshype rumor crawl, so take it for what it's worth, but:

"The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26, and 30) in trades to try and move up,
according to multiple league sources. So far, no one is biting. If the Celtics stay here, Hampton would make sense because he could serve as a spark-plug scorer off the bench. If Gordon Hayward were to leave Boston, secondary shot creation would be needed sooner rather than later."

Not sure that paints the "moving up is super cheap" narrative we were all hoping for. Could be BS though.

I think it says more that picks in *this* draft don't have so much move-up value.

I really want the Mavs to buy one of the Celtics' picks - especially if we use 31 to move up.