MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - dirkfansince1998 - 10-31-2020

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1322377601256665088

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 10-31-2020

18 days to the draft.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 10-31-2020

Azubuike's measurables make him desirable to me as a 2nd round pick big time. Might as well take the shot. 

Sure like a lot of the 2nd round pick candidates this year.

https://twitter.com/BlueRouteTPL/status/1322535306478915585

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - FunkBoreland - 10-31-2020

Been reading much of the posts here and the player awes have been all over the place. Mavs were known last season to be a fast tempo, high-scoring team (Strength). But being known down the 4th quarter as the team that loses the most within single digits (Weakness). 

So my question to the board is, what kind of identity do you want to establish by drafting?

-Do you want to address rebounding and defensive issues and go with lengthy athletic players? (Vassell, S.Bey, T.Bey, Woodard, Azubukie)
-Draft fast, high IQ players that create there own shots so Luka won't do it all? (Haliburton, Lewis, Hampton, Nesmith, Maxey)
-Or do you want to simply draft the best talent available?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 01:05 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: So my question to the board is, what kind of identity do you want to establish by drafting?

-Do you want to address rebounding and defensive issues and go with lengthy athletic players? (Vassell, S.Bey, T.Bey, Woodard, Azubukie)

Great question.

I want the Mavs to primarily improve their length, athleticism, and defense through the draft. I want to change the late game dynamics first with stops.

However, if you can get HIGH enough in the draft then I think you change your tune and try to find a "star" meaning a secondary creator to help lessen the load on Luka.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 01:05 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Been reading much of the posts here and the player awes have been all over the place. Mavs were known last season to be a fast tempo, high-scoring team (Strength). But being known down the 4th quarter as the team that loses the most within single digits (Weakness).

So my question to the board is, what kind of identity do you want to establish by drafting?

-Draft fast, high IQ players that create there own shots so Luka won't do it all? (Haliburton, Lewis, Hampton, Nesmith, Maxey)
-Or do you want to simply draft the best talent available?

I have always said that the Mavs' single greatest need this offseason is an additional playmaker next to Luka. Of course, that's the league's most expensive/rare commodity right now, because most of the players who can do that effectively are going to be top-100-in-the-league players, at least. Moreover, in the Mavs' case, there are a series of additional caveats to that guy that make him even harder to find - 1) top-level C-and-S, because he's not going to have the ball much when on the floor with Luka, 2) the willingness to defer and play off ball for that very reason, and 3) solid defense because a) Luka, and b) it's an all-around team need. All that on top of being a guy who can create his own shot and make plays for others. I have also said that Jrue Holiday is the guy that does the best job of checking all the boxes, but he's too expensive in trade right now - he might be the most expensive expiring player in trade this year because of all of the teams who want him for 2020-21. If the Mavs see a guy who they think can do that within a year or two, they should draft him.

If that guy is not available, then I think you go to the second need - a 3-and-D wing.

But to me, the single most important thing I want to see is that, by 2021-22 at the latest, the guy is a starter. That means not only not whiffing on the pick; it means freaking nailing it. I think the probabilities of that are higher the higher you draft. That's why I want them to trade up. Moreover, given the key importance of having a starter at rookie scale when Luka's extension kicks in, I think that trading out of 18-or-higher altogether would be disastrous - especially if we plan to be players in the 2021 offseason.

(10-31-2020, 01:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think that trading out of 18-or-higher altogether would be disastrous

Generally I agree, I would just nuance this by saying that there is a caliber of player the Mavs could get where I would understand not having a pick at all. BUT those are few and far between. In 99% of the scenarios I want them drafting 18 or higher.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavs2019 - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 08:54 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1322377601256665088
So he agreed with me that he was too heavy for a modern center. Cool

So we just take Tyler at #18 and Azubuike at #31. Call them The Vertical Bounce Brothers T&A. Then Mark gets to donate another $10M to the league.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Fuerza1 - 10-31-2020

https://www.babcockhoops.com/post/pre-draft-workouts-miami-florida

"Something I found interesting during our time in Miami was that Bane's name seemed to come up with people even when we were in other gyms. We were told that he has been dominating his peers and played really well going against current NBA players training in Miami. While I cannot discuss who or what we did or did not see in the live play, let's just say it lined up with the rumors we had heard beforehand. When Bane pulls up from three in 5-on-5 runs, his teammates generally yell 'layup!' without hesitation. He's apparently created an expectation for everyone in Miami that his shots go in every time." 

Apparently he's playing with NBA guys like John Wall and PJ Tucker, and fellow draftee Kira Lewis Jr. fwiw. 

Forgot how to post tweets but here's something about Bane's elite shooting potential (Seth Curry level): https://twitter.com/SKPearlman/status/1321251109571276801

(10-31-2020, 02:08 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: "Something I found interesting during our time in Miami was that Bane's name seemed to come up with people even when we were in other gyms. We were told that he has been dominating his peers and played really well going against current NBA players training in Miami. While I cannot discuss who or what we did or did not see in the live play, let's just say it lined up with the rumors we had heard beforehand. When Bane pulls up from three in 5-on-5 runs, his teammates generally yell 'layup!' without hesitation. He's apparently created an expectation for everyone in Miami that his shots go in every time." 

Apparently he's playing with NBA guys like John Wall and PJ Tucker, and fellow draftee Kira Lewis Jr. fwiw. 

Hey if Bane proves me wrong, more power to the kid. When I watch film I don't see domination of any kind, so I would be shocked if that is happening in these pick up games, but maybe it is. 

[Image: tenor.gif]

However, I will say that I am not impressed by anyone dominating John Wall though..... Smile

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - cow - 10-31-2020

(10-30-2020, 11:55 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Maybe Dallas should look at getting T Bey, Stanley and Azubuike.

All 3 smashing the combine athleticism tests.

Pick and roll targets galore ?

Buying extra mid 2nd rd picks for Stanley and Azubuike.

I love the idea of chasing athletic freaks with later first round and second round picks.  It's a gamble but I'd rather have the high ceiling of a Robinson than the high floor of a Brunson.

(10-30-2020, 07:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Xavier Tillman at 31, anyone?

https://youtu.be/W8cBgawqRbE

I take that as a no... what intrigued me about Tillman was his skill as a roll man, not just in terms of finishing, but in terms of finding the open man passing. I thought that would look rather pretty next to Luka.

My favorite idea right now - 18, Curry, Maxi, and Wright, w/'25, to Atlanta for the 6th pick. Some may say that's a lot to give up. No it isn't. We clear cap for this year as well as getting the fairly high lottery pick. The only reason I even throw it out there is because of how dumb Atlanta is that they might even take that. 

At 6, you could select between the best available of Avdija, Hayes, Okongwu, and Haliburton, all of whom should be fairly good starters year one, and use your newly-acquired room on another starter.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - cow - 10-31-2020

Avdija, Hayes, Okongwu, and Haliburton had better be a can't miss prospect. That's a lot of assets and depth on the roster to give up. Who is Atlanta sending back? We'd also be down to DFS as our only positive tradable asset.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 03:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My favorite idea right now - 18, Curry, Maxi, and Wright, w/'25, to Atlanta for the 6th pick.

That would also create around 20-25 mil of cap space in 2020. VanVleet might be available in the range. Bogdanovic. But it is a huge gamble. If you strike out with the pick, you have nothing left.

(10-31-2020, 03:29 PM)cow Wrote: Avdija, Hayes, Okongwu, and Haliburton had better be a can't miss prospect. That's a lot of assets and depth on the roster to give up. Who is Atlanta sending back? We'd also be down to DFS as our only positive tradable asset.

My whole point is that they're sending their cap room. My target with it would be Grant; pick someone else if you think that's a better idea.

Yeah, if you don't have ironclad confidence in those guys at 6, you don't make the trade. You do it if you do. I could see the Mavs doing something like that if 1) Hayes is their guy, and 2) he falls to 6 on draft day, i.e. the trade is lined-up ahead of time.

(10-31-2020, 03:38 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 03:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My favorite idea right now - 18, Curry, Maxi, and Wright, w/'25, to Atlanta for the 6th pick.

That would also create around 20-25 mil of cap space in 2020. VanVleet might be available in the range. Bogdanovic. But it is a huge gamble. If you strike out with the pick, you have nothing left.

I would only want them to do it if they were not much more than a smidge less sure about the pick than they were about Luka and Dirk.

I don't like including the Devin Harris trade (the original) as a template because I think Detroit way overvalued Jamison, to the Mavs' benefit.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 07:21 AM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

It is hard for me to see TBey making it to #31 now. Thought it might be only a matter of time before people were on to him....we'll see.

Hey, if you (they, really) are THAT sure about him, you take him at #18.

(10-31-2020, 03:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 18, Curry, Maxi, and Wright, w/'25, to Atlanta for the 6th pick.

I'll have to sit on this a little longer, but IF the scouting department is 100% behind a guy who is there at 6 I think I would do it.

(10-31-2020, 03:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hey, if you (they, really) are THAT sure about him, you take him at #18.

I am 100% in on TBey now. It will be reflected in my final draft board. 

[Image: BeyDunk_Amstock2.gif]

My whole basis for the Atlanta trade is arrogance in my own scouting abilities. I have every confidence that Avdija and Okongwu aren't going to bust, and that Haliburton may never be an All-Star but will be third-best-player-on-a-contender-caliber by year two or three and onward. As for Hayes, I have more question marks about him, but if the Mavs' scouting department believed he could be a star, then sure. There's always bust-because-Len-Bias or bust-because-Greg-Oden to worry about, but most teams comfortably assume those things aren't going to happen. Acts of God, or acts of dumb. 

If the Mavs do that, perhaps they could buy a pick in the mid-20s and package that with 31 to move back into the Tiger Bay range.

You could have
Luka-Brunson
Hayes or Haliburton-Burke (brought back on the room exception)
THJ-DFS
Grant-Bey-Powell
KP-WCS

or
Luka-Brunson
FVV-Burke
THJ-DFS
Avdija or Okongwu-Bey-Powell
KP-WCS

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 10-31-2020

My thinking of the Mavs' forward needs has evolved over the past month or so, starting with the Harrell rumor, which I don't believe is true, but forced me to consider a few new angles. 

I like Bey - always did. 

I do not agree that he's a WING, or by my definition, someone who could conceivably play the 2, 3 or 4, but is primarily a 3. I think he's more of a natural 4 who can SWITCH on picks to guard smaller guys effectively for 10 seconds at a time and who could probably create some advantages for you at small ball 5 during certain stretches of games. 

I can see him being a fit here, now that my wish list has expanded. I had been evisioning a Paul George/Kawhi Leonard like Forward tandem (size/speed/play style comp - not saying they need to be scorers) to go with KP at the 5. But now I understand that they might (might) very well still want more of a hybrid two big system. Tyler Bey could definitely be an ideal version of what Dwight Powell was here up until the injury. He's definitely MORE switchable than DP, and if played in that role, the Mavs would have a foot speed and length advantage fairly often. 

I would be fine if the Mavs take him at #18.

(10-31-2020, 04:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would be fine if the Mavs take him at #18.

[Image: giphy.gif]