MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & Bey workouts - khaled1987 - 10-29-2020

(10-29-2020, 03:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 03:14 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: there is nothing that says we are using him

The Mavs and Donnie have "used" Fish for decades. That isn't a bad thing. He gets real information, but he gets the info THEY want out and are not trying to hide. It's just how it works, nothing personal.

1-Past is irrelevant in the context of my reply, I never denied it happening on the past, I am denying it happening now.

2-Your original reply depends a lot on the assumption that Mavs control who they leak information about who they met, which is false.
Agents and players have something to gain to say who they met, it will get leaked sooner or later,just like Mavs contacting other teams but even more. 

3-To leak it to Fish, Mavs through him something real,which is good to keep relationship with Fish, while not giving him anything at all since those information will sooner or later be public knowledge. 
At the same time,  this information is helpful too, because while they can't hide they met the player they want (unless they didn't meet him, which would be bad) they can keep which one of them they like.

4-The only way to keep whom they met and like, is the player accepting it, problem is players benefits from making it known they met many teams and wanted by them, unless they get a promise from a team they like with high enough pick. Which doesn't make sense in our situation. 

TLDR version: Mavs are using Fish, but by not denying who they like, but with adding other nanes. The one we are targeting might be one of those he mentions

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 10-29-2020

I never said the names were false. I just think if the Mavs are trading up they are NOT going to advertise their true target. 

Also, these tryouts are NOT public information. The agents OR the teams have to leak. The teams can ask the agents/players to keep it on the downlow. The Mavs giving this information to Fish means they want it out there.

ANOTHER trade down situation possibly for #8....

Quote:
  • The [b]Knicks[/b], who recently worked out [b]Kira Lewis Jr.[/b], are seriously considering the former Alabama guard, according to Marc Berman of The New York Post. However, Berman says it’s not clear whether Lewis would receive serious consideration at No. 8 or if he’s only an option in the event of a trade down.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/10/espn2-to-televise-edwards-maxey-pre-draft-workouts.html

Quote:Georgia swingman [b]Anthony Edwards[/b] and Kentucky point guard[b] Tyrese Maxey[/b], two 2020 first-round prospects represented by Klutch Sports, are set to go through a televised “Pro Day” workout on ESPN 2 at 8 p.m. EST this evening, per Anna Negron of ESPN. The 2020 NBA draft is currently scheduled to be conducted virtually at 7 p.m. EST on November 18.

The athletic 6’5″ Edwards, who worked out for the Warriors last week, is widely considered to be one of the top three picks in November. The 6’3″ Maxey, a solid shooter, is projected to be taken with the No. 20 pick by the Heat in the latest mock draft from The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie.

Maxey and Edwards, both 2020 Second-Team All-SEC team selections, will work out at the Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks, California. The workout will be broadcast replete with commentary, courtesy of Jay Bilas, Dalen Cuff and Mike Schmitz.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - khaled1987 - 10-29-2020

Btw, I think draft order will have a 2013 level of surprise 

Won't be surprised if Lamelo get drafted out of top 6 for example  , with guys like Hayes & Haliburton being top 3

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 10-29-2020

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1321968720722288640

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Fuerza1 - 10-30-2020

A Desmond Bane selection would be a great outcome at #18. He has elite 3/D capability and checks all of Carlisle's boxes (high IQ, character, 3PT, PnR). Furthermore, if MBT are looking for a NBA ready player, he fills the part. I honestly think he could start for us on day 1. 

Kevin O'Connor on The Ringer podcast says that Bane would be an ideal fit on the Mavs, or other contending teams (starts about 10 mins in): https://open.spotify.com/episode/6XCqWOkHLUcJf1ni1agZgq

"...You know what list he belongs on? 'This guy will not fail' list because there may not be any smarter player in this draft class; he does not make many mistakes, he is like Brogdon in that sense, someone you can rely on. People talk about Lamelo as the best passer in this class, it might actually be Desmond Bane. He makes NBA passes: high PnR, driving the lane and kicking out to the 3 with either hand, reads the floor like a veteran..." 

"Good role player who will impact winning on contending teams." 

The small wingspan is the only "negative" but that can easily be compensated with high motor, technique, and instincts on defense, which he showed in droves at TCU. He is also built like a brickhouse to body up guys like Harden. He can make any 3PT shot in the book.  

According to Fish, Mavs met up w/ him today and value him highly. I see him as a more skilled version of Danny Green.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - swaggerbox - 10-30-2020

Drafting Desmond Bane is a no brainer. One of the most ready players in the draft. Not fancy, but effective. Really effective. Also belonging in the same category is Saddiq Bey, who Golden State is really high on.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - burekemde - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 01:09 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: A Desmond Bane selection would be a great outcome at #18. He has elite 3/D capability and checks all of Carlisle's boxes (high IQ, character, 3PT, PnR). Furthermore, if MBT are looking for a NBA ready player, he fills the part. I honestly think he could start for us on day 1. 

Kevin O'Connor on The Ringer podcast says that Bane would be an ideal fit on the Mavs, or other contending teams (starts about 10 mins in): https://open.spotify.com/episode/6XCqWOkHLUcJf1ni1agZgq

"...You know what list he belongs on? 'This guy will not fail' list because there may not be any smarter player in this draft class; he does not make many mistakes, he is like Brogdon in that sense, someone you can rely on. People talk about Lamelo as the best passer in this class, it might actually be Desmond Bane. He makes NBA passes: high PnR, driving the lane and kicking out to the 3 with either hand, reads the floor like a veteran..." 

"Good role player who will impact winning on contending teams." 

The small wingspan is the only "negative" but that can easily be compensated with high motor, technique, and instincts on defense, which he showed in droves at TCU. He is also built like a brickhouse to body up guys like Harden. He can make any 3PT shot in the book.  

According to Fish, Mavs met up w/ him today and value him highly. I see him as a more skilled version of Danny Green.

One of the best, and if not most polished player in the draft. Probably one of the surest picks. Totally fits what Mavs want to do and how to play and what they want next to Luka.

Who cares about wingspan, when your players around Luka and KP are getting record many open shots? On defense it may matter sometimes, but his overall defensive play and understanding is great. 

With Bane, we improve bbIQ, team play, 3 point shooting, defense, toughness. Essentially we become a better team, maybe even from day one, he is that polished in his game.

I do not see him becoming a star player, but instead a very good starter on championship team, this will be a great great pick IMO. And it may even improve us next season already. 

Bane and adding another star in FA, would really turn things around.

This is a very safe way to improve the team. With Luka and KP we probably look at safe options, and not risk losing them eventually to other teams if we do not find the winning ways. This is probably not the time when you add high risk high reward players around Luka and KP hoping they will turn into something and that they improve their skillset once in the NBA. 

Bane and Giannis for instance, you look at multiple championships. I would still prefer Sadiq Bey or Haliburton as I think these might become stars, but Bane is a hell of player.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - swaggerbox - 10-30-2020

Would be a great outcome if we can have both Saddiq Bey and Desmond Bane. That's just wishful thinking. They are solid rotation players down the line and will give us more depth. Carlisle for sure will play them because they both have outstanding work ethic, BBIQ, solid fundamentals and outside shooting. Only, Donnie, would probably trade both picks for a "third" star who will never pan out here.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - burekemde - 10-30-2020

Luka
Bane
Sadiq Bey
Giannis
KP

This would be quiet a show!

The next 8-10 years we mainly worry about our bench.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 10-30-2020

RE: Bane

When I watch him I see a classic case of a guy who is successful as a college player but is not as a NBA player. 

In particular I do not see him as a successful NBA defender. His defense starts at the 28:00 mark and I don't even see elite motor and effort on that end, not to mention the subpar lateral quickness and small guard wingspan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfJyQuqPwQ

I think Bane is fool's gold as far as translating to the NBA level in a meaningful way. He screams Maurice Ager (but with a 4" shorter wingspan!) to me.

I am out on Bane, but if the Mavs draft him I will be delighted to be dead wrong.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 07:54 AM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Bane

Just out of curiosity. Was Doncic your best player in 2018 draft? Because he was (and still is) a meh athlete, meh defender and meh shooter compared to other players at NBA level. Basically a player, who looks to be great at the tier 2 competition but probably a fail with top athletes in the NBA.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 07:59 AM)omahen Wrote: Was Doncic your best player in 2018 draft? Because he was (and still is) a meh athlete, meh defender and meh shooter compared to other players at NBA level. Basically a player, who looks to be great at the tier 2 competition but probably a fail with top athletes in the NBA.

Doncic was the far and removed best player IMO in his draft and I said as much then and was THRILLED with the trade.

Doncic has FAR superior quickness and athleticism and length to Bane. Doncic is not a "vertical athlete" but he is an elite athlete in how he moves his feet and changes direction. Doncic played against FAR BETTER competition than Bane and was the MVP. College is NOTHING compared to Doncic's competition before the NBA. Doncic showed flashes of the defense we saw in the playoffs at times in his development especially the quick lateral quickness (which Bane doesn't have on either end of the court). Doncic is an ELITE finisher around the rim and has an average outside shot. So the "meh shooter" thing was and is the only legit aspect of this. But Doncic is just good enough as a shooter to keep teams honest. If he grows in that then he will be the GOAT probably. But even with an average shot he will be one of the best of all time.

Doncic vs Bane is a laughable comparison IMO.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 09:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Doncic vs Bane is a laughable comparison IMO.

I wasn't comparing Doncic to Bane... Better word, I never said Bane will be as good as Doncic.

But what they have in common is exceptional basketball IQ. The thing that makes Doncic what he is and which is why I hope Bane will be good despite some of the things that go against him. The thing that you can't see in any measurements.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - fifteenth - 10-30-2020

I saw Bane live, just once, and I'm no scout! But when I saw him, I thought he was good, but he didn't stand out at that time as head and shoulders above the other college athletes, imo, the way some future pro stars do when they're in college. He didn't POP as transcendent among his competitiion. 

Again, that's just one game, and I'm no scout. But that's what I thought.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - MaxiThreeba - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 11:30 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I saw Bane live, just once, and I'm no scout! But when I saw him, I thought he was good, but he didn't stand out at that time as head and shoulders above the other college athletes, imo, the way some future pro stars do when they're in college. He didn't POP as transcendent among his competitiion. 

Again, that's just one game, and I'm no scout. But that's what I thought.

I’ve followed Bane his whole TCU career as a Former Frog myself. 

He has the tools to be a great rotational player when not asked to carry the offense as he was for much of his TCU career.  That is not the player he is and at times it resulted in his game looking clunky.  

He is strong as an ox but does lack elite athleticism and length.

He is okay with the ball in his hands but I wouldn’t consider him a second creator.  I’d love him as an 8th or 9th guy but don’t see him ever being an NBA starter on a contending team. 

And I am a huge fan of Desmond the person and the player...I hope he surprises me and makes a big jump.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - fifteenth - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 12:04 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I’ve followed Bane his whole TCU career as a Former Frog myself. 

He has the tools to be a great rotational player when not asked to carry the offense as he was for much of his TCU career.  That is not the player he is and at times it resulted in his game looking clunky.  

He is strong as an ox but does lack elite athleticism and length.

He is okay with the ball in his hands but I wouldn’t consider him a second creator.  I’d love him as an 8th or 9th guy but don’t see him ever being an NBA starter on a contending team. 

And I am a huge fan of Desmond the person and the player...I hope he surprises me and makes a big jump.

This matches what I saw when I attended a game. I think Dan has probably seen him play mulitple times. I haven't kept up with the thread enough to know if Dan has written about Bane, but I'd like to see what he has to say.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - SleepingHero - 10-30-2020

Totally with you here Kamm. I don't see Bane as anything special.

Not only is his defense a bit suspect, but I find his shooting form to be too slow to ever reliably get off in an NBA game. 

At best, I think Bane can become a PJ Tucker kind of player after bouncing around the league. But thats just my opinion after watching some game tape on him. Would much rather want Nesmith, or S.Bey,

It's funny how we see two different players, looking at the same player play the game. That's the beauty of the game, and the draft. So many times this was mentioned with players, they dont have this and that, and they fall down in the draft. 

I see a highly effective, smart and tough player in Bane. I do not see a superstar, he indeed doesnt excel at college level as mentioned by others, hence i think this is not his ceiling. On other hand he does contribute in some many ways in the games. Perhaps a star in NBA maybe, with time, if he finds the right spot and team, but this is unlikely. A good starting player. IMO Others here see him just as an rotational player, bench role. This will be really interesting to monitor. 

What Mavs need now is an efficient smart team players, to take advantage of the open looks. Banes defense, how strong he is, he has a ton more upside here than THJ or Curry next to Luka. I would even say he will instantly improve the defense compared to THJ and Curry, and with time also the offense over these two. His shooting is not expected to be better day one of course despite being elite college shooter, but his bbIQ on offense can rival if not exceed them probably even day one. 

To me the the shooting of the team should have been much better, given the open looks Luka and KP created. However, we saw also time after time Luka getting doubled, even mid court, yet the rest of the team not playing smart basketball to take advantage of this. Players like Bane that can both shoot and play smart general basketball would kill this strategy from opponents IMO. THJ and Curry just didnt take advantage and open looks this well enough. Not just through shooting, but also through getting to the basket. I believe Bane here also will be instantly better. 

Thats is just my opinion. We probably do not need high risk high reward type of players, and that are not elite shooters. This would not be good for Luka. He should be complemented with smart players as Bane, that will not run the offense, but can contribute on so many levels with polished  smart play.  

If our SG is not elite shooter, doubling Luka will work. Hence we cant have this. We have a QB that can create and run the offense, hence this is not the key skill to add now. The key skills are bbIQ and elite shooting: This is exactly where Bane is strong at, and I believe he will have better career for Mavs than on most other teams. 

Problem in playoffs was the other players not taking advantage of the open looks when it mattered the most, and situations where Luka was doubled. Need to solve this.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 01:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

but I find his shooting form to be too slow to ever reliably get off in an NBA game. 

At best, I think Bane can become a PJ Tucker kind of player 

That's word for word what popped into my head about Bane.  creepy

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-moves-up-to-no-1-selection-by-the-timberwolves-in-first-two-round-mock/

6) Haliburton
7) Hayes
11) Achiuwa
12) Vassell
13) Nesmith
15) SBey
18) Hampton
22) Maledon
23) Bolmaro
26) Woodard

31) Nnaji
44) TBey (this should be a crime)