MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - ClutchDirk - 10-06-2020

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912058-2020-nba-mock-draft-simulating-3-trades-in-historically-unpredictable-lottery

1. TRADE at 18.
  1.  Oklahoma City Thunder:  Aleksej Pokusevski (Olympiacos II, PF, 2001)
  1. OKC Thunder receive: No. 18Dallas Mavericks receive: Terrance Ferguson, No. 25 
  1. TRADE at 25. 
  1. Dallas Mavericks (via Thunder): Leandro Bolmaro (Barcelona, SF, 2000)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-06-2020

If Vassell is available at #10 (like in this mock) I would work HARD to trade up and get him.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - cow - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 03:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If Vassell is available at #10 (like in this mock) I would work HARD to trade up and get him.

18+31 + ???

You also need to fear teams like Boston and NO that are loaded with draft ammunition.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 02:53 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912058-2020-nba-mock-draft-simulating-3-trades-in-historically-unpredictable-lottery

1. TRADE at 18.
  1.  Oklahoma City Thunder:  Aleksej Pokusevski (Olympiacos II, PF, 2001)
  1. OKC Thunder receive: No. 18Dallas Mavericks receive: Terrance Ferguson, No. 25 
  1. TRADE at 25. 
  1. Dallas Mavericks (via Thunder): Leandro Bolmaro (Barcelona, SF, 2000)

Interesting.  I always wonder about these BR trade ideas.  Are they total fabrications or do they have an ounce of basis or what.  We don’t have space or a TPE for Ferguson, so I assume Jackson would be the outgoing.  So, we get the opportunity for a TFerg tryout for a year instead of continuing the JJack tryout.  I didn’t realize he’s considered a decent to good defender.  I also didn’t realize how much he’s struggled on O.

None of that is why I’m posting.  I did a Plan Powder post a while back that showed us being $63k short of a max for Giannis if we did this and this and that.  All logical things to do in a Plan Powder scenario, but still $63k short.  One way to make up the gap would be to drop back in the draft a little.  Voila.  Trade proposal doing just that.  Did you notice they also drafted a Stash Euro?  Also a Plan Powder move.  

Ferguson is a Rich Paul client.  Trading for Ferguson would absolutely be a favor to Ferguson and Paul as Ferguson’s role on the OKC team has gone from starter to bit player.  Dort and Bazley both passed him in minutes in the playoffs and Dort looks like a stud.  But, a favor to what end?  Harrell this year?  Might we overpay on a one year deal?  AD in 2021 (do you want to push Lebron’s wheelchair or play with the next Lebron?).  I realize not every move has to have an agent motivation.  But, some do and my antennae is always looking for these type of things.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Hypermav - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 09:33 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: $63k short.  One way to make up the gap would be to drop back in the draft a little.
Plan Powder is really happening...

Honestly, I am not trying to get my hopes up in a certain direction, because last offseason overpromised and underdelivered.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 09:47 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 09:33 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: $63k short.  One way to make up the gap would be to drop back in the draft a little.
Plan Powder is really happening...

Honestly, I am not trying to get my hopes up in a certain direction, because last offseason overpromised and underdelivered.

Who knows.  First, it is just a BR theory (not even a rumor).  Second, they might just like Bolmaro and think they can get him later AND take a free look at Ferguson.  They could then take on some big salary and Plan Powder is off.  I just thought it was interesting that it would save a little 2021 salary.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 09:33 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 02:53 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912058-2020-nba-mock-draft-simulating-3-trades-in-historically-unpredictable-lottery

1. TRADE at 18.
  1. Oklahoma City Thunder: Aleksej Pokusevski (Olympiacos II, PF, 2001)
  1. OKC Thunder receive: No. 18Dallas Mavericks receive: Terrance Ferguson, No. 25
  1. TRADE at 25.
  1. Dallas Mavericks (via Thunder): Leandro Bolmaro (Barcelona, SF, 2000)

Interesting. I always wonder about these BR trade ideas. Are they total fabrications or do they have an ounce of basis or what. We don’t have space or a TPE for Ferguson, so I assume Jackson would be the outgoing. So, we get the opportunity for a TFerg tryout for a year instead of continuing the JJack tryout. I didn’t realize he’s considered a decent to good defender. I also didn’t realize how much he’s struggled on O.

None of that is why I’m posting. I did a Plan Powder post a while back that showed us being $63k short of a max for Giannis if we did this and this and that. All logical things to do in a Plan Powder scenario, but still $63k short. One way to make up the gap would be to drop back in the draft a little. Voila. Trade proposal doing just that. Did you notice they also drafted a Stash Euro? Also a Plan Powder move.

Ferguson is a Rich Paul client. Trading for Ferguson would absolutely be a favor to Ferguson and Paul as Ferguson’s role on the OKC team has gone from starter to bit player. Dort and Bazley both passed him in minutes in the playoffs and Dort looks like a stud. But, a favor to what end? Harrell this year? Might we overpay on a one year deal? AD in 2021 (do you want to push Lebron’s wheelchair or play with the next Lebron?). I realize not every move has to have an agent motivation. But, some do and my antennae is always looking for these type of things.

Good catches, Dan.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 09:33 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I didn’t realize he’s considered a decent to good defender.  I also didn’t realize how much he’s struggled on O.

He has had a TERRIBLY negative impact on defense (him being called a good defender is laughable to me) and is also mostly a negative impact on O. 

I would gag if the Mavs went after him. What a waste.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - aguiar95 - 10-07-2020

My 2020 Dallas Mavericks NBA Draft Big Board 2.0:

Excluded:

- Guys that I don’t want us trading up to get;
- Guys I don’t want us drafting at #18 and won’t be there at #31;
- Guys I don’t want us drafting at #31.

Tier I: Superstar. Trade anything but Luka to get this guy. Potential 1st/2nd best player on our championship team.

- No one.

Tier II: All-Stars in Dallas. Trade anything but Luka/KP to get this guy. Potential 2nd/3rd best player on our championship team.

- No one.

Tier III: Trade-up for a future starter in Dallas. Trade anything but our core-6 to get this guy. Potential 4th/5th best player on our championship team.

1) D. Vassell (Elite defender that can hit from outside, one of the best 3&D prospects in years)
2) O. Okongwu (defensive beast, lobs, good screener)
3) R.J. Hampton (homeboy Trey Burke on steroids, highest ceiling of the guys available)
4) T. Haliburton (PnR genius with great defensive instincts)

Tier IV: Stay put for a future role player in Dallas. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #18, we draft them. Potential 5th/6th/7th best player on our championship team.

5) S. Bey (Elite C&S with fundamentals and versatility on defense)
6) J. Green (good C&S paired with great on-ball defense)
7) P. Achiuwa (switchability 1-5, anchor of the best defense in the country)
8) K. Lewis Jr. (great PnR offense, shooter and as quick as it gets in this class)
9) J. Smith (modern big, shoot, switch and rim protect)
10) T. Maxey (PnR scorer, on-ball defender)

Tier V: Rotation players. Wouldn’t draft them at #18 unless all options above are gone. If they reach #31, we draft them. Potential 7th/8th/9th best player on our championship team.

11) T. Bey (vertical, post defender, lob thread, sb5 if needed)
12) N. Mannion (playmaker and shooter with elite vision)
13) X. Tillman (defensive juggernaut with elite short-roll playmaking skills, Luka gets doubled? no trouble)
14) L. Bolmaro (Spanish culture guy, stash, we have Madrid/Betis guys complete with a Barcelona kid)
15) T. Jones (crafty PnR defender)
16) K. Tillie (best pick-and-pop guy in the draft, ready to contribute, nice screens)
17) I. Quickley (FT hunter, PoA defender with 6”8 wingspan)
18) R. Perry (Rebound and run, stretch shooter)
19) J. Ramsey (young, hungry homeboy with all the tools to make a leap here)
20) U. Azubuike (only lacks perimeter defense to be a complete defensive prospect)

Tier VI: Rotation substitute players. Wouldn’t draft them at #31, but are worth keeping an eye for a possible trade-down/undrafted/two-way scenarios (all have interesting skillsets that match what we want). Possible 9th/10th/11th best player on our championship team.

21) T. Alexander (defender, shooter, PnR offense all we want in a prospect)
22) I. Joe (Top C&S on the draft)
23) M. Diakite (Everything we want on defense for a PF help/post/switch with 3-pt range)
24) Y. Madar (defense, hustle, winner)
25) K. Mane. (6”5 with 6”11 wingspan and guard skills)
26) M. Simonovic. (Balkan boy to pick-and-pop)

Observations:
- 7 of the Top 8 Perimeter Defenders in this class (Okoro is the exception). Has to be a priority since our best and only on-ball perimeter defender is DFS (neutral defender);
- 4 of the Top 5 Post Defenders. We got exposed every time a team had a decent post scorer;
- Players with High IQ defensively. We are dying for a vocal leader/switchability on defense;
- Smart PNR ball-handlers/Intresting skills on bigs. Gives us another dimension with the Craftiness/Pick and Pop/Short Roll Playmaking these prospects bring.
- With so many good guards in this draft, I feel Brunson/Wright have to be moved if we pick one. Same with the bigs.
- There are very few good wings in this class, if not for Vassel/Green. We have to address this in FA.
- Rumors of us finding a def/rebound PF in FA may have to become true once Achiuwa/Bey are out of the board.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mavs2019 - 10-07-2020

So is this Combine actually happening right now or also postponed?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 10-07-2020

@"Kammrath" and @"aguiar95"

I'm sold on Vassell, who will probably be out of the team's reach, and SBey, who could go anywhere from 10-20. Who are your favorite SIMILAR players in that range, either projected to go slightly before Bey, or slightly after?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-07-2020

@"aguiar95" GREAT WORK!

Here is my amended and shortened version of your Mavs-centric board:

Trade-up Targets (if they slip to #10 or lower). Trade anything but our core-6 to get this guy. 

1) D. Vassell
  • is the exact wing defender the Mavs need in the starting lineup
2) T. Haliburton
  • fits offensively with great potential to be 3rd banana/2nd creator and could be a solid defender

Draft at #18 Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #18, we draft them. 

3) R.J. Hampton 
  • if his shooting improvement is legit...TAKE all day, one of the highest ceilings in the draft
4) Precious Achiuwa
  • all the athletic tools and with the right development has the potential to be the exact kind of big the Mavs need
5) Josh Green
  • great wing defender with switching ability who should be able to spread the floor as a catch and shoot guy
6) Saddiq Bey
  • his lack of athleticism, explosiveness, and lateral quickness is causing him to drop on my board
7) Tyrese Maxey
  • great defender, but want to see combine measurements on his wingspan before I "buy"

Trade for/Buy #26 Targets. Wouldn’t draft them at #18 unless all options above are gone. If they reach #26, we try to purchase this pick from BOS. 

8) Tyler Bey
  • great and athletic big wing prospect who can be a small ball big as well, the kind of versatile player that can bring team defense together
9) Leandro Bolmaro
  • great wing defender with the potential to fit well into an unselfish offensive flow

Draft at #31 (or another 2nd round pick) Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #31, we draft them. 

10) Ty-Shon Alexander
  • great defender of guards who plays better off-ball but is very confident
11) Paul Reed
  • great defensive big with potential to be elite at the next level if he overcomes fouling tendencies
12) Robert Woodard II
  • great defender with a good three ball

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - aguiar95 - 10-07-2020

(10-07-2020, 09:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"Kammrath" and @"aguiar95"

I'm sold on Vassell, who will probably be out of the team's reach, and SBey, who could go anywhere from 10-20. Who are your favorite SIMILAR players in that range, either projected to go slightly before Bey, or slightly after?

If you're talking about 3&D wings, it's Josh Green (Arizona). After him I don't think there's any other capable wing that can make a major impact and join our core. That's one of the reasons he's risen a lot on my board.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 10-07-2020

(10-07-2020, 10:23 AM)aguiar95 Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 09:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"Kammrath" and @"aguiar95"

If you're talking about 3&D wings, it's Josh Green (Arizona). After him I don't think there's any other capable wing that can make a major impact and join our core. That's one of the reasons he's risen a lot on my board.

Cool, thanks. 

What about Mcdaniels? Have you checked him out?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-07-2020

(10-07-2020, 10:23 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: If you're talking about 3&D wings, it's Josh Green (Arizona)

Yep. Vassell or Green are the only ones I see worth taking at 18 (or higher). Though not in the same mold, I do like TBey, Bolmaro, Ty-Shon, and Woodard (he is the closest to straight 3&D) though as you get later in the first.

(10-07-2020, 10:17 AM)Kammrath Wrote: @"aguiar95" GREAT WORK!

Here is my amended and shortened version of your Mavs-centric board:

Very similar to mine, except on Woodard and Reed. Feels we are in the right direction.

Is there a way I can read the posts without having them in black letters? Kinda hard to do on the phone.

I think you've cooled way too much on SBey, @"Kammrath". I see a very polished player, and I don't think his athletic potential will be a huge problem.

@"aguiar95" some posters' stuff just comes up black. You'll need to change to the "light" theme. Dark looks way cooler, but it just doesn't work all of the time.

NOTE: This is a repost for formatting so it is more readable in both web formats. 

Trade-up Targets (if they slip to #10 or lower). Trade anything but our core-6 to get this guy.

1) Devin Vassell
  • is the exact wing defender the Mavs need in the starting lineup
2) Tyrese Haliburton
  • fits offensively with great potential to be 3rd banana/2nd creator and could be a solid defender
Draft at #18 Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #18, we draft them.

3) R.J. Hampton
  • if his shooting improvement is legit...TAKE all day, one of the highest ceilings in the draft
4) Precious Achiuwa
  • all the athletic tools and with the right development has the potential to be the exact kind of big the Mavs need
5) Josh Green
  • great wing defender with switching ability who should be able to spread the floor as a catch and shoot guy
6) Saddiq Bey
  • his lack of athleticism, explosiveness, and lateral quickness is causing him to drop on my board
7) Tyrese Maxey
  • great defender, but want to see combine measurements on his wingspan before I "buy"
Trade for/Buy #26 Targets. Wouldn’t draft them at #18 unless all options above are gone. If they reach #26, we try to purchase this pick from BOS.

8) Tyler Bey
  • great and athletic big wing prospect who can be a small ball big as well, the kind of versatile player that can bring team defense together
9) Leandro Bolmaro
  • great wing defender with the potential to fit well into an unselfish offensive flow
Draft at #31 (or another 2nd round pick) Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #31, we draft them.

10) Ty-Shon Alexander
  • great defender of guards who plays better off-ball but is very confident
11) Paul Reed
  • great defensive big with potential to be elite at the next level if he overcomes fouling tendencies
12) Robert Woodard II
  • great defender with a good three ball

(10-07-2020, 10:28 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Is there a way I can read the posts without having them in black letters?

I reposted mine. Did that help?

(10-07-2020, 10:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What about Mcdaniels?

He feels like a guy who will float around the NBA for 6-7 years based on potential but will never come to anything. I just don't think he will ever fulfill the expectations that were once put on him. I see him as a bust personally.

(10-07-2020, 10:28 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think you've cooled way too much on SBey

That is possible. I have just seen him get shut down by a 6'4" defender in Ty-Shon Alexander for two games and it highlights some of my concerns. There are always those guys that look good against the athletic competition of college and then get to the NBA and just cannot find that extra athletic something that allows them to continue to succeed. It just makes me nervous. I still have him pretty high on my board though.

(10-07-2020, 10:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Cool, thanks. 

What about Mcdaniels? Have you checked him out?

McDaniels is more of a rebuilding pick. High ceiling, but a LOT of problems on (efficiency/TO/PF) and off-court (effort/work ethic). Needs minutes (that we don't have) to develop into something.

(10-07-2020, 10:28 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think you've cooled way too much on SBey, @"Kammrath". I see a very polished player, and I don't think his athletic potential will be a huge problem.

@"aguiar95" some posters' stuff just comes up black. You'll need to change to the "light" theme. Dark looks way cooler, but it just doesn't work all of the time.

My eyes just melted. It's kinda like that old version on 247sports. But yeah, now I can read all the posts. Thank you.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 10-07-2020

I don't have time right now to post my updated board, but it would be a lot more expansive than Kamm's. If we trade 18, I will be quite disappointed if it isn't for a very good player who fits exceptionally well. Schroder is the only guy I can think of who may be available (we ain't getting Jrue) who might be worth parting with the pick, and the Mavs seem not to like him. Grant, of course, but you'd have to tamper the agreement (i.e. talk to his agent before FA).   I just think there are way too many could-probably-help-us-close-to-right-away guys probably available at 18 to piss away the draft again. Once again, the value of those rookie contracts...

P.S. - If we trade this pick for an expirer who isn't LeBron, Kawhi, or of course Giannis, I will break things (and no, I won't post the video).

P.P.S. - Terry will be on my board. His grown size may help him quite a bit on defense, and that was always my concern with him. The shooting and BBIQ would be perfect next to Luka.

Heck with it, this board is dead.

Trade-up Targets (if they slip to #10 or lower). Offer Brunson and 31. 

1) Okongwu
2) Vassell
3) Haliburton
4) Okoru
5) Avdija
6) Wiseman

Trade-up targets (if they slip to 12 or lower) 18 + 31 packaged

All of the above, plus
7) S. Bey
8) Achiuwa
9) Smith
10) Terry
11) Hayes

Draft at #18 Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #18, we draft them.

All of the above, plus
12) Green
13) Maxey
14) Hampton
15) Reed
16) Anthony

Trade for/Buy #26 Targets. Wouldn’t draft them at #18 unless all options above are gone. If they reach #26, we try to purchase this pick from BOS.

All of the above if available, plus
  • 17) Tiger
  • 18) Williams

• 19) Woodard

• 20) Bolmaro
Draft at #31 (or another 2nd round pick) Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #31, we draft them.
  • Any of the above, plus

• 21) Ramsay

• 22) Aleksej

• 23) Alexander

• Draft using a traded-for additional second:
  • 24) Riller
  • 25) McDaniels
  • 26) Flynn
  • 27) Scrubb
  • 28) Hughes
  • 29) Joe

Sorry for the wonky formatting.